[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 124 KB, 600x415, 132617.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
877239 No.877239 [Reply] [Original]

How do you guys feel about people who say that those who don't focus their lives working and making money live better?

>> No.877249

I do what makes me happy. Working makes me money, money gets me shit and I like getting shit. So that makes me happy. If other people are happy doing nothing all day and not making money, that's fine.

>> No.877252

>>877239
To each their own.

If you want to look at a vacation website and instead of thinking "Where do i want to go the most" you think first of all, "ok what is in my low price-range" that's on you.

If you want to live a mediocre life, constantly pinching pennies or being in fear of breaking your leg or being laid off and being unable to pay for rent, that's on you.

If you want to buy budget things, for your budget interests, of your budget life, that's on you as well.

>> No.877297

>>877252
But there's more to life than buying things.

>> No.877303

>>877297
>But there's more to life than buying things.

Yeah, there's freedom. Which money allows you to get.

The freedom to buy and enjoy things you like, the freedom to not be forced to work 9-5 for some balding cuckold.

>> No.877309

>>877303
The issue is that most people never reach that sort of freedom. Money doesn't give you any different freedom than what people who aren't chasing money have.

>> No.877310

>>877309
Maybe for you.

Different people like different things. I am sure there isn't a shortage of people who like to have lots of money though.

>> No.877328

Some people can be genuinely happy living paycheck to paycheck on unstable but "free" jobs like musicians and the likes. Good on them but it takes a special kind of person because I'd be way too stressed out from maybe or maybe not making this month's rent.

>> No.877608

>>877239
The theme your going to see here is that everyone with half a brain is living the life that's best for them.

>>877252
I've found there is no direct relationship to the money I spend and the amount of enjoyment I receive. I have a decent disposable income but my hobbies are cheap, and my traveling is always dirt bagging around new areas. Money only buys me a peace of mind so that I may spend time occupied with issues that are inline with my own values.

>> No.877610

Do what makes you happy. Don't do something to fit into some group. Do you and then let that group you fit into find you.

>> No.877684

>>877297
There literally isn't

>> No.878359

>>877684
This made me laugh because it kinda had me thinking how far society has gone to come up to this conclusion of life.

>> No.878426

>>877297
Like what?

>> No.878430

>>878359
>This made me laugh because it kinda had me thinking how far society has gone to come up to this conclusion of life.

>Higher quality things naturally cost more than lower quality, this goes for homes, cars, food, equipment, technology
>More money means you have more options in life and don't have to be constantly terrified of getting fired from a job you already hate
>Money allows you to buy other people's times so you don't waste your non-renewable resource(time) on things you don't enjoy
>Money buys the highest quality healthcare available
>Many more benefits

Yeah haha I wonder who could possibly want money! XD there's more to life than money! Like constantly doing things you don't enjoy because you're only option.

>> No.878432

>>877297
I want to free my friends and family of working jobs.

There are a lot of variables to making money and having it, todays western society in how humans work mechanically and materialistically tbh,

Take this for an example, I already in this year alone in 3 different age groups had divorces happen and there children oblivious to whats going on or tremendous amounts of single mothers.

My point is in just one of the many variables the divorces occurred because there X husband,wife boyfriend or girlfriend cheated on someone at there workplace,because we spend more time at our workplace then our loved ones apparently just one of the things.

I could type all day.

THe only possible way to escape this is to find another human compatible and content with living with or being staggered until death more or less.

Unless you escape materialism and go live in the woods or some shit.

Mainstream since our birth pre programs us to want and live off of these things.

As humans and our evolution since the beginning causes us to move forward to be the gears in society and constantly evolve.

>> No.878441

>>878359
lemme guess, /x/ tier spirituality *lucid,OBe's or whatever?

>> No.878486

We have 3 "types" of anon with us today.

We have regular anons who want to enjoy life, and realize that money helps in such a target: >877249 and >877252

We have Diogenes-tier stoic anons who know that life is what you make of it regardless of money and who reject materialism: >877297

and we have our good-goyims gluttenous monsters who's only enjoyable day is payday: >877684

>> No.878554

>>878486
Animals, and humans since the beginning of mankind display themselves with levels of materialism.

Whether you're privileged or at the bottom and don't climb it's the universal design of how physical realm.

>> No.878789

>>878426
I don't know, I don't know the meaning of life. But surely you don't think it's acquiring goods, do you?

>>878441
I'm not a spiritual person at all actually.

>>878430
How about I put it differently. You're at a party (haha, no you're not, you're in your basement, but this is just hypothetical), you meet 2 people there. One guy just rode a bike and camped from Alaska to Patagonia over the past 2 years. The other guy owns 3 Ferraris which he rides around the area on the weekends and just recently became a partner in his firm. Who would you want to spend more time talking to?

>>878432
Your post actually ties in with the reason I asked my original question here. Recently some articles came out that people are becoming highly overworked and many make their jobs control their whole lives. I myself have been thinking for the past 3 years to quit my job and travel while doing some odd jobs here and there to keep myself going. Apparently paying for experiences makes people happier than paying for items so I tied 2 and 2 together. I don't know whether this is a good idea or not, but I don't want to compete with my neighbor on who has the nicest lawn or better car, fuck my neighbors tbh.

>> No.878794

>>878789
Well generally it's whatever people want it to be. For *the meaning of life* after all speculation.

The thing is a lot of resources and technology that innovate going places,food,activities,creating stories, things created by humans are acquired mostly by currency.

Were not concerned about money, but money buys us time.

It's like cheat codes in a video game, also video games have limitations if your planning to say video games get boring using cheats.

>> No.878797

>>878430
>How about I put it differently. You're at a party (haha, no you're not, you're in your basement, but this is just hypothetical), you meet 2 people there. One guy just rode a bike and camped from Alaska to Patagonia over the past 2 years. The other guy owns 3 Ferraris which he rides around the area on the weekends and just recently became a partner in his firm. Who would you want to spend more time talking to?
Obviously the guy who became partner at his firm, what interesting insights about the real world could some hippie on a bike possibly offer?
What would I even talk about with him, he spent the last two years in the fucking jungle.

>> No.878798

>>878789
>One guy just rode a bike and camped from Alaska to Patagonia over the past 2 years. The other guy owns 3 Ferraris which he rides around the area on the weekends and just recently became a partner in his firm. Who would you want to spend more time talking to?

The guy with the Ferraris because the first guy doesn't exist anywhere, in any year in real life and the other one seems fun to be around and interesting.

You still completely ignored the message of my posts in this thread to just make up some hypothetical scenario which is loosely related to the subject.

You seem to have two extremes in your mind, one where the guy is just rich but doesn't do anything with his money and is bored, while the other guy just backpacks all over the world and lives in mud huts in Africa and hunts with the natives.

>> No.878799

>>878789
myself have been thinking for the past 3 years to quit my job and travel while doing some odd jobs here and there to keep myself going.

I have seen people that do this, you can definitely do this.

>> No.878800

>>878798
Wait can't the rich guy travel wherever he wants on this planet.

and fuk bitches internationally ..... of every age....

>> No.878806

>>877303
>The freedom to buy and enjoy things you like, the freedom to not be forced to work 9-5 for some balding cuckold.
>2015, still living in fear of not getting what you want

>>878430
>>Money buys the highest quality healthcare available

living in fear, so he gets money, so he buys an insurance, and then he thinks that we no longer lives in fear.
kek
the best pat is that you think you are smart.

>> No.878832

>>877249

good goyim

>> No.878839

>>877297
>>878789

>"But there's more to life than buying things."
>Like what?
>"I don't know"

Really, mate?

>> No.878845

Money makes possible the enjoyment of the best the earth affords.

>> No.879603
File: 70 KB, 720x490, dalai_lama.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>878839
Well I don't know if there is a common goal that we all strive to achieve in life itself. But ultimately it's not to make more money. Unless you live for work. Don't you have any goals in live that matter to you more than having a good job?

>>878806
>living in fear, so he gets money, so he buys an insurance, and then he thinks that we no longer lives in fear.
This reminded me of the Dali Lama quote. The way healthcare is organized in America it's very easy to get stuck in the rat race.

Funny enough, if you google this quote, the first article that comes up totally bashes it, an article written in Forbes haha.

>>878845
This came up a few times already. You all do realize that we here in this thread are already part of the richest what 3% of the world population? All it takes is a lower-middle class income in a western country to reach this. What's the point of striving for more?

>> No.879649

>>879603
>All it takes is a lower-middle class income in a western country to reach this. What's the point of striving for more?

Because some people want more out of life. I am amazed at how retarded some posters in this thread are.

Some people have different goals, if you're fine with being poor and mediocre at everything, Great! You found the meaning of life, truly.

For some they have goals. In fact striving for wealth or practicing skills in order to achieve wealth is the whole meaning of life for some people.

In fact if i just won all the money I could possibly want I wouldn't even enjoy it very much. The struggle is the best part, the effort put into cultivating skills and experiences you have to achieve riches is better than actually being rich or any of that stuff.

>> No.879656

>>877239
I made a deadline for myself though.

>> No.879673
File: 80 KB, 625x637, 1438925458652.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>879603
>You all do realize that we here in this thread are already part of the richest what 3% of the world population? All it takes is a lower-middle class income in a western country to reach this. What's the point of striving for more?

did I just read that correctly, this comment display how much you really know. Also I know your under 19 years old for sure. And the way you typed it does not look like your a pathological liar.

>> No.879831

most of you anons who say "money is everything" need to step outside your house more.

there are a lot of people out there who work menial jobs who are perfectly happy where they are. they have people who love them i.e a good family, friends, a loving SO. they make just enough to pay their bills and save up little by little to go on vacations, treat themselves etc

in fact, it almost all comes down to how a person "feels" about themselves. if you feel like u need that 100k job and a method of making 5k passive income a month to be successful and happy, ok that's fine, those are your values

but there are plenty of people out there in the real world who have other people to make them "feel" happy and successful in their own way

>> No.879842

>>879831
Literally no one disagreed.

The "money isn't everything" crowd is the one trying to convince people that "they don't really enjoy their money" in a desperate attempt to convince themselves they're happy and rich people are all depressed and suicidal and don't go on vacation once a year like them.

>> No.879947

>people may want different things out of life than I do
That makes me angry!

>> No.880013

You just have to find balance. I've seen both sides from my family. (Child of divorce.) If you live only for love or money it ends up bad. I will say this though. My mother is well off, by no means rich and she's a lot happier than my Uncle, who's a millionaire but a chronic alcoholic.

>> No.880111

It's about opportunity costs.

If I won a jackpot or lottery, of course I wouldn't turn that money down. But I don't want to slave away at work for 80 hours a week for that extra money. The marginal benefits wouldn't be worth it for me.

Money's worth is in buying you freedom to do what you want. If you have enough fuck you money that you are not dependent on anyone and your standard of living is secure in all reasonably possible scenarios, you have passed an important benchmark. The other half of that "freedom" depends on your desires. People do tend to worry too much or overestimate how much they really need to achieve freedom from fear and authority. You see all these idiots on the comments sections of online news articles bitching and moaning about needing $5 million to retire just in case some exotic chronic disease hits them, kind of like worrying about having the money to handle the aftermath of a hypothetical freak shark attack on your semiannual trips to the beach. The idea of 100% absolute safety is an irrational illusion born out of this mindset of fear that is expensive to pursue.

As for materialism, there is nothing wrong with enjoying a nice car or buying the latest tech gadgets or splurging on expensive vacations in themselves, but if these are central to what you value in your life, in that you consider lifestyles without these luxuries "beneath" you in a fundamental way, that mindset itself is a kind of mental slavery. And, of course, the amount of money you need to secure your idea of freedom must go up, so you are much more vulnerable than a person less attached to these things should your money is lost for whatever unlikely reason.

>> No.880208

Literally special snowflake: the reddit

>> No.880698

22 loser NEET here, I'm more comfortable with the notion of going back to school and getting a job that pays 65k+ and live comfortably (humble) so I can eat and travel my money away (planning to stay single).

>> No.880746
File: 286 KB, 1670x1743, 1439181345385.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>880698
Everyone read this