[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 513 KB, 1920x1080, Xyj5jLH.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
873896 No.873896 [Reply] [Original]

> Majoring in Information Systems
> Minor in Comp Sci and Economics
> Planning on finishing 3 Android apps by graduation

How good will I fare in the IT industry with an IS major instead of CS major? I want to be a software dev, and yeah, I should've majored in CS but I'm 100% focused on Java and my college only does C++ and by doing IS I gain additional knowledge on networks and servers which brings me closer to being full stack, right?

>> No.873966
File: 270 KB, 1000x1500, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Doing IS as my concencration from the bachelor of commerce... How fucked am I? I honestly know nothing about it but finance and accounting sound soul sucking atleast IS is a change.

>> No.875076

>>873896
A minor has never helped anyone get a job or an interview. You should only minor in something for the sake of getting pleasure out of it.

That being said, I don't know where you are located but an employer would always hire a CS grad for software dev jobs instead of someone who has an IT/IS/MIS etc. degree

>>873966
Finance and IS are both useless majors to be honest with you. At least with accounting you have a chance of getting a job and you learn something practical while pursuing a degree in it.

>> No.875142
File: 16 KB, 480x381, ARNOLDIS#1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>majoring in Electrical Engineering
>still deciding to do a fifth year at uni to get double major
>if go fifth year I'd have an Electrical and Comp Engineering degrees
I think the extra effort and funds most likely will be worth it in the longer run but I have been wrong before

>> No.875719

If you prove you can ship product then your major isn't going to matter. Your college doesn't matter after your first real job anyways.

>> No.875730

>>875142
Will you need loans to cover the 5th year?

>> No.875759
File: 241 KB, 1366x768, NoLove.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>873896
eyyy, that's been my desktop background for about a week now. Time to change.

sage for unrelated comment

>> No.876122

>>875076
>A minor has never helped anyone get a job or an interview.

[citation needed]

>> No.876248

>>875076
>>876122

I assume that if you and another dude who majored in the same thing as you apply for the same job in some company, if you have an economics minor and he doesn't, you have the advantage?

>> No.876483
File: 28 KB, 522x430, durr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>876248

How can you having something rather than not, be a disadvantage?

>> No.876728

>>876248
Brush up on your reading comprehension and thn read my post again.

>> No.876731

>>876728
oops, this was meant for >>876483

>> No.876742

I got an internship at an IT company at 20 with no college experience whatsoever, just asked them if i could interview for unpaid internship, was really friendly, energetic, humorous, inquisitive, nabbed me it. i'm building server racks next week but i'm working my way up slowly.

uh

the point is degrees only matter so much.

>> No.876747

>>873896
Depending on how far along I was, I would switch my major to CS, even if a few classes were wasted. Just do all the MIS/CS overlap courses, then switch.

> I should've majored in CS but I'm 100% focused on Java and my college only does C++

Jesus, that doesn't mean shit, that's what every expert has said since forever. A kid who knows theory of computation, algorithms, data structures, principles of programming languages and object-oriented concepts cold is going to be better than someone who spent a year learning Java. If you know OO concepts, what a for loop and while loop and class and object and constructor etc. is in C++, the leap to Java is not hard at all.

> additional knowledge on networks and servers which brings me closer to being full stack, right?

No. Because you're *not* going to learn about networks, you're going to learn the bare minimum you need to know about networks. It's not like you're going to be routing ASNs with BGP and going to NANOG conferences after taking the class. I'm sure the CS program has a few weeks where they talk about networking concepts. I mean some concepts from CS like the Ford-Fulkerson algorithm can apply to many things, including networking.

> closer to being full stack

You're not fucking full stack and being full stack is bullshit. Huxley said "try to learn something about everything and everything about something". So you should know how to set up a Linux server, and use it, know how to set up Apache, and use it, know how to set up MySQL, and use it, know how to install Python and run a simple REST API on your LAMP server.

I mean I've been using MySQL for 20 years and I don't know off the top of my head how LEFT JOINs work, or off the top of my head what the details on Innodb vs. MyISAM are, or off the top of my head what second normal form is. Some things I've memorized, some I look up when I need to. You learn the basics and add to it.

Focus on Java/Android, learn a little about the rest.

>> No.876758

>>876747
>second normal form

I know that if you put every possible relation in a separate table you are in 6NF, therefore you're also in 2NF.

that's basically what got me an A in databases lol