[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 235 KB, 736x739, frank booth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
873675 No.873675 [Reply] [Original]

Which language should I learn, /biz/, russian, chinese or japanese?

>> No.873679

>>873675

HERE'S TO BEN, FUCKER!!!

BE POLITE!!!!

>> No.873684

>>873675
>russian, chinese or japanese?

None, unless you're actually applying for companies operating in these countries or trading with these countries

Just studying a random language isn't really going to help your employability

>> No.873685
File: 29 KB, 482x800, pretty gud.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>873684

>> No.873687

>>873685
> mfw I'm Belgian and I actually have a degree in German, French and English, while my mother-tongue is Dutch.

Get the fuck out

>> No.873690

>>873687
And if you can't recognize the value that just learning the basics of any language brings then you are fucking retarded.

>> No.873695

>>873690

Being able to speak French or German never helped me out a single fuck. If you're not going to work for a company operating in these countries or that trades with these countries it's a waste of time

> value that just learning the basics

I never said it was completely without value, but it's a waste of time and energy if you're just studying a random language. At least study something you might actually use (the language your company needs, accounting, math, etc). This shit isn't that hard.

>> No.873747

>>873695
I studied Japanese when I was a teenage weeaboo for fun, and later on ended up finding a 6-figure job in Japan. Your point?

>> No.873772

>>873747
> 6-figure job in Japan.
> looking for a job in Japan

That's exactly my point you illiterate faggot.

>> No.873773

>>873675

>chinese
> language

kek

>> No.873778

Learning a foreign language really isn't worth the effort. When a company requires you to "speak French", they expect you to speak it like a native and for you to have spent significant time in a French speaking country. It's not enough to pass some exam or qualification test, because those only require you to get 90% or so. Think of what that means; that's 10% of all communication, reading, meetings, etc, that you don't understand. You can't speak it like a native so you don't have the ability to carefully phrase things, or to read between the lines.

It's a skill that's going to take you years to master. Your time might be better spent elsewhere. Learn a programming language instead.

>> No.873791

>>873773
You talking about the mandarin-canton dichotomy?

>> No.873803

>>873675
Arabic

>> No.873804

>>873778
I doubt you can draw a percentage-filter of understanding to depict skills in language.
Even if you were bad at talking it, knowing language opens plenty of smaller but significant doors. Just being able to browse foreign net and understand passive communications has plenty of potential in my books.
Though I guess it depends largely on what kind of a job you are planning to do.

>> No.873824

>>873675
VBA

>> No.873989

>>873675
German.

>> No.874004

Learning a language is fun and can really bolster your self-confidence. It's not really the same as learning math, science, or history. I imagine most people have taken language classes in middle-high school but it's completely different when you're on your own

I would suggest everyone try it. As for which one, wwhich one do you think you would enjoy reading books in? Lots of sad panda stuff is translated into Chinese, so if you like that, theres a benefit that also makes learning super fun--then again, you listed Japanese so you could just learn Yapan-ya

>> No.874030

>>873772
Look faggot, there are 3 answers to his question. No one gives a shit about you or your expertise, just answer the fucking question.

>> No.874118

Rich people speak their native language. Poor people learn other languages to cater to rich people.

>> No.874157

>>873675
If you are white just move to china and paid to be some rich faggots friend or show up to company events because being white makes things seem valuable to them. Wouldn't recommend that for the Japanese while most still fetishize whites they aren't as obsessed as the Chinese.

>> No.874175

>>873989
Oops made a mistake there meant to say *nigerian

>> No.874302

>>873675
I already speak Russian and I need Chinese, so my choices are kind of biased. But out of the three, I find Japanese the most beautiful.
I'd pick either the most useful to you, or, if all are the same, the one you find the nicest.

In response to naysayers here: the way I live, I use all 4 languages I speak daily, and I encounter French+Arabic so often, that they're on my list after Chinese.
Liking languages in general also helps, I see it as a hobby, like learning to play guitar or something.

A new language also gives a different perspective on the native speakers, the way they think, their culture.
There's also an interesting phenomenon: behaving according to the culture of the language you're speaking (kind of like having slightly different personalities).
For example, when I speak in my mother tongue, I never swear, am mostly mild, but in English I throw a lot of "fucks" and "cunts" around (as jokes), am more aggressive.

>> No.875482

>>874302
Thank you for wording out what I was going after.
Russia would be the most practical for me, but also the most spoken around. Also, current political climate has left me slightly repulsed at the thought of learning said language. Childish perhaps, but natural.

May I ask what kind of affairs do you deal with and where since you need french, arabic, russian and chinese?

>> No.875560

Chinese if you're a business professional. The other 2 are useless. It's also called Mandarin, not Chinese.

>> No.875566

>>875482
I can understand your feelings towards Russia, as I am originally from Eastern Europe. (This is also the reason why I speak it. Just happened to pick it up "on the streets").
But Russian in your case would be easier to reach fluency then. More opportunities to practice speaking it.

My affairs are standard student stuff (in Germany), but being from a country, where I first saw a black man not on TV at 13 or 14 years old, I somehow gravitated towards international people. And it's not only IRL, when I browse online, I also often meet French or Arabic (at least to the point, where I have to translate from them noticably often).
Chinese is for life in China/Taiwan/Singapore - I'll try to weasel into a major program in one of those countries.

>> No.875589

>>873675
C/C++ , java or python

>> No.875627

Unless you're going to work for a company that operates in those countries than its useless. If you work for alphabet soup agencies or contractors they'll pay you to learn the language. If you're Americlaps, then you are better off learning Spanish. You fucks need to learn Spanish, because its now your second biggest language group. Also learning any European language is useless, because they can hire someone from that country over a speaker who learn it in college.

>> No.875637

>>875589

Why not perl

>> No.875723

>>875637
It's unreadable.

>> No.875732

why would anyone think russian was an important business language

>> No.875749

fluent at Russian and it has never been useful for me. Then again I'm a NEET shut in who only leaves the house to resupply.

>> No.875780

>>875732
Its not a business language. Its a language useful for intelligence or law enforcement.

>> No.875797

definitly russian.

oriental languages are stupid. chinese isn't a formal language, and japanese isn't spoken by many people.

>> No.876066

>>875749
ti otkuda faggot?

>> No.876112

>>873772
6 figures in yen

>> No.876194

>>873791
More like Mandarin-Canton-Min Nan-Wu-Hakka-Teochew... etc. dichotomy

>> No.876221

>>876112

Kek my sides