[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 122 KB, 630x420, gold2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
862876 No.862876 [Reply] [Original]

So, as the coming financial crisis draws closer and closer I would like to purchase some gold.

>Who here has bought gold?
>Did you buy physical gold or did you just buy online and add it to your portfolio?
>what do you recommend?

>> No.862877

>>862876
If you're into gold, you can buy funds or ETFs linked to it. Buying physical gold... I can't recommend it, as It would lack liquidity.

You might be interested in the Harry Browne's 'Permanent Portfolio'.
http://www.bogleheads.org/blog/harry-brownes-permanent-portfolio/

Still, buying and holding a low TER index funds is an unbeatable strategy in the long run. And investing is all about the long run.

>> No.862883
File: 14 KB, 240x232, Frogpost_15.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>862877
>buying pieces of paper that say you own gold over actual gold itself

literally retarded

>> No.862884

>>862876
With gold and silver, of you dont hold it you dont own it.

I have been buying gold at a frenzy pace since last month.

>> No.862886

>>862877
>>862883
Despite the popular belief that buying physical gold is 'dodgy' and not worthwhile, I find that it's the other way round which is riskier. People only really buy gold online as a means to an end, to wait for price changes then to sell/short. So despite gold prices online decreasing over the past couple of years the actual price of physical gold is higher than it's been in a long time.
This is due to all the demand. So obviously more and more people are buying physical gold as they aren't looking to buy and sell to make a small profit but to actually have it held down as a long term storage of wealth.

Just my two cents though. I'm thinking SchiffGold right now as they seem to have the most competitive prices (from what ive seen so far) but im still thinking.

>> No.862947

>>862886
LOL, Peter schiffs company is a ripoff.

Try apmex or provident.

>> No.863073

I think you should do both. Buy physical for absolute shtf scenario prevention, but invest the vast majority of your EM money in a decent ETF.

I recommend something like MapleGrams, since it can be used to buy stuff during a crisis and its probably not really worth counterfeiting. This has the other positive side effect, that you can buy and sell them from private people. That way you can get better prices than with "trusted sellers".

The second thing I recommend is a gold ETF that actually does store the physical gold in their vaults. I like the ZKB Gold ETF, the rates are reasonable, you can get your physical gold if you have enough shares to buy 12kg and the gold is stored in Switzerland which is a pretty stable and secure country. Just don't buy GLD, their vaults are probably full of tungsten.

>> No.863079

>>862886
its actually due to supply, not demand.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/20/us-federalreserve-commodities-banks-idUSBRE96J0AS20130720

>> No.863128

What is your goal? If you were trying to day trade gold, which is a dumb idea, then go with the GLD ETF. If you are concerned about some sort of financial mess then buy physical gold.

How much money are you looking at putting into metals?

I would look at silver first. It is an affordable way to get into precious metals and even if you make a mistake and overpay by 30% it would just be a few bucks on a couple ounces of silver.

Also if you want to sell a little bit at a time to buy food or whatever in an inflationary scenario.

Say you buy a few ounces of silver either in one ounce rounds or 90% pre 64 coins.

If you are going to spend under say a grand I would just buy silver. That would be a good bag of silver.

Now from $1,001 to 2kish (I think it would be $2,400 or so) bit we buy small gold coins. Say 1/10th ounce American Eagles. You pay a premium for these but it is nice to have the divisibility.

From 2k on I would buy one ounce gold coins.

I have bought from APMEX and did fine though they stick it to you on shipping. Currently I buy from Montana Rarities and am happy with it.

http://www.montanararities.com/

>> No.863130

>>863128
I have about 1k USD to spend on precious metals and I've also been largely considering Silver as it's at a historic low. It also has immense uses in an industrial perspective.

What types of coins have you bought and what influenced your decision in that purchase?

>> No.863132

Just bought 2oz in coin form. This is a good investment right guys?

>> No.863133

>>863132
Depends on a few things
How much you paid over spot
If it has numismatic value
If it's a well recognized coin(s) or if it's Uncle Joe's Home Made """Gold""" coin

>> No.863134

>>863133
I got two of these bad boys:
https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-coins/britannia-1oz-gold-coin/2015-gold-britannia-one-ounce-coin/

Paid £788 each (spot is £740 at the moment)

>> No.863136

>>863134
Good deal
Britannia are very recognisable, so you won't have much trouble when you go on to sell them

>> No.863140

>>863130
I think gold in the 1,1XX price range is a decent deal though Silver anywhere under 20, and especially under 16 is a steal.

I've bought a variety of silver. Some various one ounce rounds/ bars. You need to be careful here because there are a lot of fake ones around. National coins like Silver Eagles and Canadian Maple Leafs are nice bit there is a premium.

These days I buy 90% pre 64 US coins. Mostly half dollars and quarters. These are about the cheapest small (vs hundred ounce bars) silver out there, readily identifiable and widely known. Best of all to my knowledge they have never been faked.

For silver I stick to these smaller sized and avoid stuff like 5/10 ounce bars. I want to be able to use silver for small transactions either by trading it or selling a couple coins to get some groceries.

>> No.863142

>>863136
Thank fuck for that. I'm planning on holding onto them for at least 5 years or so. Hopefully shit sky rockets like back in 2010/11

>> No.863143

I do not buy anything numismatic (collectible with value above the metal content). First of all grading coins is an art form. Second of all I could give a rip if it is a rare quarter, I just want the cheapest silver/ gold that is readily recognizable I can get.

I tend to stay away from no name silver rounds. Too many fakes out there. If you get private mint rounds go for a big name like Englehard.

>> No.863157

>>863143
Do you buy Gov Bullion as well as PM, or PM exclusively?

>> No.863158

>>863142
Gold has been declining for a while now, you realize it could quite possibly drop once the stock market smooths out

>> No.863160

>>863158
I'll just keep holding then

>> No.863362

I've bought private mint silver. No real preference against it, just that 90% US coins are the most affordable way to get recognizable silver.

For gold I stick to gov mints, US Eagles, Canadian Maples, Krugs, etc.

>> No.863430

As to gold and silver going up/ down.

Yes that definitely happens, at least as compared to dollars. On a longer run however gold/ silver are very stable. In the time of Shakespeare an ounce of silver would buy a fine mens suit. It still will.

I have a buy and hold philosophy to PM's. Some folks do bonds or CD's for the super safe portion of their money. We go with silver and gold.

We don't keep money in PM's that would be needed tomorrow. Cash to fix a broken vehicle, pay for an unexpected bill, etc is in a savings account.If we got in a longer term mess I guess we would start selling at some point, but could do it in a determined way.

>> No.863431

I meant gold not silver in the Shakespeare analogy. Oops.

>> No.863436

>>863160
Gold is a Meme investment. Truly shit tier.

>> No.863441

>>863430
> anounce of silver would buy a fine mens suit. It still will.

An ounce of silver is worth 15 dollars mang.

>> No.863450
File: 2.87 MB, 320x240, 1437303290975.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>863441
>not buying your couture at Target

>> No.863466

>>863450
Suit from target is going to run you at least $50

http://www.target.com/c/blazers-vests-men-s-clothing/-/N-55929#?lnk=lnav_shop categories_1

A suit from walmart is about the same

http://www.walmart.com/browse/clothing/men-s-suit-shop/5438_133197_610219

>> No.863467

Does it matter what brand gold it is? Is it okay for me to get cheaper gold that doesn't have a fancy brand on it? I mean testing if it's real or not is not that hard or expensive

>> No.863469

>>863430
> anounce of silver would buy a fine mens suit. It still will.
This. Instead of gold/silver i collect tuxedos as a hedge.

>> No.863478

>>863441
I think it's ounce of gold ... not silver.

>> No.863496

>>863441
>I meant gold not silver in the Shakespeare analogy. Oops.

>> No.863546

>>863142
Got one of those sexy hunks, and 20x Can Maples (silver) and 20x Silver Britannias.

Don't buy silver as a Britbong. Tax kills your gains.

>> No.863549

>>862876
It's worth noting that Gold mining stocks have been some of the top risers recently, as other mining stocks plummet.

I am starting to think (again) that gold is going to rise.

Gold mining stocks are the way to go though IMO. Income is a given and they're liquid.

>> No.863557

>>863436
>his ID is gold
> gold confirmed for best equity