[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 50 KB, 600x200, GetHYP.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
85310 No.85310 [Reply] [Original]

There are many people who seriously believe that rich kids in Harvard/Yale/Princeton are in there solely because of the fact that they're rich, when the reality is that they probably have a strong work-ethic as a result of parents who've managed to acquire plenty of wealth.

I've literally seen people who dismiss going Ivy League kids as overprivileged while jizzing over NYU, which to be honest will fit the stereotype of undeserved rich kid privilege more so than, say, Columbia. There's this joke that the similarity between NYU and Columbia is that they both have students who applied to Columbia.

People also seriously dismiss choosing to go to a top university if you get in, because "you'll be paying so much more than at a state university for the same classes," when in reality you might actually end up paying less because of financial aid. I'm also pretty sure that the UPenn Calculus: Single Variable class I dabbled in through Coursera was many miles ahead of getting a 5 on AP Calculus BC in terms of difficulty, when it is the latter that will give you credit so that you can take Multivariable Calculus as a college frosh.

So many accomplished, well-off people have come from illustrious universities, and yet their admirers may legitimately believe that going to those schools "would be a bad idea because it'll put you into a ton of debt."

ITT: We discuss that value in being a part of a top school.

>> No.85432

>tfw raised by single parent making barely above average wage
going anywhere but a state school would bankrupt me

>> No.85447

The alumni network and other connections you make while on campus.

Literally worth their weight in gold. There is always a chance that one guy you made friends with is the son of some rich/famous guy and could later hook you up or finance your startup.

>> No.85466

>>85447
You can also get taught by the top scholars in their respective fields.

>>85432
If your parent made "barely above min. wage," you would get a free ride through Harvard if you got in.

>> No.85483

>>85310
The jizzing over US universities in general is ridiculous. Rich kids are sent over the pond to Princeton to study accounting and come back and wonder why we're not taking them seriously.

Fuck dude, maybe you should've learned something about europe if you want to work in europe. GAAP and state laws don't apply here you fuckwit.

The same goes for people who get their MBA's in the US and come to culturally different countries and think they're hot shit in terms of leadership.

>> No.85484

>waaaah we're rich and connected

Stop being ashamed of it.

>> No.85494

>>85447
same poorfag as >>85432

you are right its all about who you know, although its not all over for me because my state school is notorious for advertising it self to rich kids. Too bad most of them are stupid and unmotivated.

>> No.85507

>>85310
Elite schools really don't make a massive difference for undergrad work.

>> No.85518

>>85466
I really doubt that as I am not a minority

>> No.85516

>>85507
Even with shit like a Womyn's Studies degree, you still have a really great chance at a cush job if you got it from Harvard.

>> No.85523

>>85516
You're still overselling it.

>> No.85544

Let's not forget the military academies either, which are known as being "elite schools" without as much self-entitlement

>> No.85551

>>85544
Yeah, because you need a Senator to recommend you.

>> No.85577

>>85551
I used to work in a Senate office. Saw how those things work.

It's not like the kid typically knows the Senator/Congressman--they just send their resume over and ask nicely for a rec. If the rep is really hands-on, they might schedule a sit-down with the applicant, but typically they just scan the resume and write something nice about the kid. It's not about daddy's connections or where he went to school or who he golfs with, if that's what you're implying.

>> No.85588

>>85583
oh ok, then. sorry.

>> No.85583

>>85577
I was implying literally the exact opposite of what you think I was.

>> No.85593

test

>> No.85740

>>85310
Unless we're talking about grad school, it's just undergrads wishing their extra effort was actually paying off right now. All that matters as an undergrad is that your university has good research opportunities for you to get a head start, but when you're applying for grad school (which, if we're talking about being rich and successful, you probably should) the universities will look at your work, not necessarily the name of your university (unless it's some really shitty one that isn't reliable) when deciding on whether you'll get in.

>> No.85853

Many rich kids do get in because of their parents, but that doesn't diminish the school as a whole

The benefits of going to a prestigious university are innumerable

>>85740
The education you get does
And there's the fact that you're surrounded by the best of the best, some of the people you'll ideally be rubbing shoulders with in the future

>> No.85863

>>85447
>alumni network
More like illuminati network, am I right fellow member?

>> No.85912
File: 81 KB, 225x225, 225px-UIUC_seal.svg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> MFW I go to a state school in one of the most corrupt states in the union

>> No.85932

>>85853
>you're surrounded by the best of the best

lol keep telling yourself that

>> No.85966

>>85932
There's so much resentment in your post. Networking and brand recognition are literally priceless coming out of an Ivy.

>> No.85974

I don't get what's the big deal about going to prestige universities. I studied Accounting in a shitty university (it was a former community college) and after I get my first job, no one cared about my alma matter anymore

>> No.85997

>>85740
This. I went to a state school that nobody outside of California has really heard of and know people that went from there to U of Chicago Law, Berkeley Law, and Harvard Law. And that's not uncommon at all.

>>85853
You're so deluded.

>> No.86007

>>85974
Exactly, because unless you're going for some super prestigious, high level job, nobody cares where you went after you have even a little bit of experience.

>> No.86037
File: 176 KB, 570x489, 1373671349536.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I went to an elite school in France

...an elite fine arts school

>> No.86038

>>85974

Prestige does matter in Finance though. Accounting not so much as long the school you went to is accredited

>> No.86042

>>86007
If you go to a prestigious school, it should stand that you're going for a prestigious career

>> No.86044

>>86038
Other than playing a modest part in landing your first job, no it really matters very very little.

>> No.86050

>>86042
That's not necessarily true at all. Tons of Ivy League grads go on to do things no more noteworthy than grads from other good schools.

>> No.86073

>>86042
LEL no. I know a girl who has a masters from Columbia and she's making $5000 more than me, a graduate of a university that got it's university status when I was at the school.

>> No.86079

OK, need to note something: 20-30% of the students at the Ivies are absolutely, 100% legacy/famous people admits. Their parents got them in. Any Ivy grad will freely acknowledge this. Got a buddy who went Princeton with Meg Whitman's kids. They were total shitheads and she paid up big $$$ to prevent them from being expelled. Being a racial minority is a huge advantage in admissions, as is being a legacy. So yeah, part of the Ivy admissions process is bullshit. That being said...

Speaking from first-hand experience, you get a MASSIVE leg up professionally. Beyond the networking benefits (significant) and incredible internship and research opportunities that like, 99% of college students will never have access to, your peer group (friends, acquaintances, classmates, etc) are generally all high-achievers and this exposes you to tons of other shit you'd never even think of doing when you enter school. Like for example, I didn't know shit about consulting when I came into school. Had never heard of McKinsey. Thought I was going to be a lawyer. A floormate of mine was gung-ho about it and dragged me into going to a few meetings at his consulting club. Bam, I was hooked, now I'll be starting at an MBB next year.

If I'd gone to a state school instead of my Ivy, I wouldn't have known about this shit, and I think that's true for most smart guys at state schools. They're surrounded by average people who've never even heard of stuff like "investment banking," wouldn't know how to write a resume to get the job even if they were interested, and don't know how to play the grad school admissions game.

A big part of what Ivies teach you is how to make the "system" work for you...whether it's getting an internship, getting into grad school, networking at an info-session, writing a good resume, getting a promotion at work. And that's actually a really, really valuable skill.

>> No.86146

>>86079
Say my SAT is 2100 (done post HS), but my highschool grades were terrible
I'm 21
What are my chances of being admitted to an Ivy

>> No.86157

>>86073
I had the grades to get into an ivy league, but I decided to take a scholarship elsewhere - I always wondered if that was the right choice, and thanks to biz I'm starting to think it was

>> No.86161

>>86146

0.0% unless you've got some crazy plus factor going for you. Like you're black and have druggie parents, you play a sport at a really high level, your parents are Bill and Hillary Clinton, etc.

I'd go to the best university you can get into, get straight As, do an internship, join a club, and transfer.

>> No.86162

>>86146
If you go to community college and ace all your classes and get involved with the school/do volunteer work, you could feasibly get into an Ivy.

>> No.86172

>>86079
Plenty of state schools give you similar opportunities (albeit not quite as high up usually). You're delusional to think that's only something that the Ivy League has access to.

>> No.86194

>>85310

The difference if quality and difficult of Universities in Canada is NO WHERE near the differences between schools in the United States. They are all about the same change and accreditation wise....which is good..

>> No.86191

>>86162
Is it really that easy?

>> No.86202

>>86194
Canada - always striving for equality through mediocrity

>> No.86204

>>86191
No. But you still have a chance. All elite schools pull from community colleges. Not a lot, but they do. Or you could do what >>86161 said and transfer to the best school you can get into, get involved and then transfer to Ivy League.

>> No.86213

>>85518
You're a fucking moron, look it up and quit making excuses.

>> No.86215

>>86202

Lol. 2/10

>> No.86218

>>86172

It depends what you want to do with your life. Med school, sure. Doesn't matter where you did your undergrad, although it's definitely easier to get undergrad research positions, which are really fucking important for admission. Same with law school.

But if you actually want to get a job straight out of undergrad, your school matters. A fuckload. Here's Wharton's Career Services statistics for 2013: http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/careerservices/files/Class2013CareerPlans.pdf

TOP EMPLOYERS
Teach for America 38
Goldman Sachs 37
Morgan Stanley 26
University of Pennsylvania Health System/ 24
J.P. Morgan Chase 22
Accenture 21
Citigroup 20

Here's UC Berkeley's (may as well be an Ivy) Comp Sci stats: https://career.berkeley.edu/Major/EECS.stm

>> No.86239

>>86218
You're overexpanding. And some of what you've posted only reinforces what I'm saying. Fact is that you are overselling how important your undergrad school is. Do Ivys look better in general? Sure. Is that at all determinate? Absolutely not.

>> No.86237

>>86202
My school has a +99% job rate within 1 year of graduation...so whatever we're doing is working..

>> No.86242

>>86237
>My school has a +99% job rate

What school?

>> No.86248

>>86242

McMasters (health science/life sciences)

>> No.86258

>>86239

I was trying to give an example for engineering and couldn't get Stanford's data. Berkeley has the second-best engineering program in the world. Maybe third to MIT. Not really expanding here.

Anyway, I'm not arguing your entire life path is determined at 22. That's idiotic. I'm saying elite schools give you a pretty significant leg up when you're starting out. If you don't go to one and are ambitious, that's motivation to bust ass, no?

>> No.86259

>>86242

All our programmes boast a 95% and higher job rate....kinda unheard of to be a grad with no job..

>> No.86254

>>86248
There are some great jokes to be made with that name.

>> No.86268

>>86242
University of Mapleville

>> No.86280

It's not that their riches literally get them in, it's that the situations they are in DUE TO being rich get them in.

I had a great work ethic in high school, but I didn't even know what IB was until I started applying to college. Literally never heard of it. We didn't have any honors classes. I took as many APs as the counselors would let me. I was president of 2 clubs for 2 years each, did model UN, ran track poorly & wrote very well. That was all I knew to do. I thought that that was a perfect transcript. I mean, what else could I possibly have done?

I went to Arizona State after being rejected everywhere.

>> No.86281

>>86146
Absolutely no chance, just about every kid who got admitted (not legacy) fresh out of high school had a 4.0 and at least 2100, with extracurriculars.

But it doesn't even fucking matter that much, go to a CC and transfer to a decent university.

>> No.86278

>>86258
They give you some leg up. I would not call it significant except for in a very narrow set of circumstances. In those cases, then yes, it is.

>> No.86286

>>86280

Did you have like, shit SATs or something? Or only apply to Ivies? I'm confused. If you were in California that'd get you into a decent UC. Irvine or Santa Cruz or something. ASU literally accepts everyone.

>> No.86287

>>86268
>>86259
>>86248

something doesn't add up, because I live in Toronto and I've met tons of graduates that are either unemployed or underemployed

I wonder how these stats are compiled

>> No.86290

I graduate in may as with an MPA from Texas. McCombs overall may not be equal to Ivy, but at least the MPA program is #1 in the world. T pedigree where you come from definitely has a huge impact on employment.

>> No.86307

>>86278

OK, what do you do? Like, give me an example where going to an Ivy wouldn't be an advantage. Engineers at Berkeley, MIT, and Stanford (in particular), and Ivy comp sci are all disproportionately overrepresented in Silicon Valley. In finance...this has been addressed ad nauseoum. Med school, you get the research advantages.

Only thing I can think of is if you want to go to law school? I mean, say you want to work in the film industry. Hollywood is like, run by rich Jews from the East Coast.

>> No.86329

>>86146
Unless you father owns one of the schools then no. This korean faggot kid at my uni (was one if my roommates first year) who I know for a fact was on probation (couldn't use the gym facilities, also repeated a few courses, and graduated without and honours or designations) got into fucking Dartmouth medical school (literally impossible to get into). How?

His dad was (and still is) the medical director there, at the Geisel School of Medicine . Fucking pisses me off. I'm doing my masters and going to apply again later but it's fucking bullshit.

>> No.86343

>>86287

Probably some shit tier polisci or arts degree and chose not to do co-op. Almost no excuses to not have a job.

>> No.86357

>>86343
>86343
nope

found answer here

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/08/26/the-value-of-education-is-dropping-fast-for-university-graduates/

out of all OECD countries Canada has the highest rate of University graduates who make less than the national median according to the OECD

meaning garduates are finding jobs, but rarely in their fields and rarely well paying jobs

>> No.86376

>>86281
I'm pretty sure I can at least get into a state school, and maybe transfer to a top uni

This sucks

>> No.86422

>>86307
It doesn't matter if they are overrepresented. The fact is that people coming out of much lower ranked schools can and do easily end up making about the same amount of money in similar roles.

>> No.86431

>>86376
You can easily get into a great school out of CC. I went to one in a rural area and people in my classes went off to Berkeley, UCLA, USC, NYU, etc.

>> No.86441

>>86357
The vast majority of college grads even in the US don't work in a job directly related to their degree. That's not really new.

>> No.86472

Can you transfer from a state school? Or should I just wait until my MBA to go to a big name school?

>> No.86504

>>86286
SATs 800 verbal 710 math. I didn't live in CA or I definitely would have gone to a UC. Going to my state school would have been just like going to ASU only shittier due to cold and all my high school classmates going there.

>> No.88431

Its called going to a target school. You know whats this is really about? PRESTIGE.

Do you think Goldman or Mckinsey want some plebs from some shitty state school working their best positions? They want guys from some prestigious Ivy or at least top Public like Umich just for reputation alone. This is how they keep plebs out of the field and make sure only patricians can stay in

>> No.88875

>>85310

UKfag here. The american system is obviously weighted towards rich people. You need to do shitloads of extracurriculars to get in to top schools.

Don't believe the tards that say getting in to oxbridge is unfair. They don't give a shit about extracurriculars and they'll obviously be tougher on people from eton at the interview. This is an unwritten fact

>> No.88963

>>88875
Except most people who go to Oxbridge went to a "public" school

>> No.88983

>>86472
You can't get into a top MBA program unless you're already a successful trader/executive/entrepreneur

>> No.88996

>>86441
yeah many countries have that problem, but Canadian graduates, statistically face worse conditions than any other OECD country, according to the OECD report, that's saying something

>> No.89001

>>85310
In my 5 years major, I never had to read a paper, book, article or any work of a researcher of the top 3 "Ivy league". Or at least not one worth reading.

They are just fuzz, other european universities or even other american universities do it better.

>> No.89075

lel i keep forgetting columbia is an ivy. it solely exists to me as apart of the "bougie hipster chain schools for those in indie bands and nabokov" basically people who were rejected from yale go to columbia. people rejected from columbia went to nyu or amherst or vassar. people who are obsessed with the idea of 'living in the city' all apply to either nyu, sarah lawrence, or bard and presumably chose which one based on which gay/lesbian crowd they preferred.

>mfw barnard and the rest of upenn is apart of the IvyLife group on linkedin

>> No.89210

>>88875
whenever i imagine the interview i always feel slightly bad for the lower/middle class who aren't as well spoken or have a "proper accent" like the upper class. i mean, i've experienced first hand the different speaking styles of the "average brit" vs a "educated upper class" (through debate team) and i really wonder if the gatekeepers are open minded or just want more people who remind them of themselves.

that's how it is here, admission officers are hired for the sole purpose of being admissions officers- they can't tell whether or not an applicant is a good memorizer or if they will become the next genius scientist or what their learning styles are. american kids are taught from a young age that to succeed in life they have to market themselves- be a walking advertisement because the type of people admissions officers want to see are those that appeal to them personally which often means coming from the same background they did.

>> No.89355

>>86146
Meh, I got into an Ivy equivalent with 1990. Granted, I was recommended by a Reagan-appointed ambassador to the UN.

Reemphasizing what I said earlier >>85447: Connections are everything.

>> No.89383
File: 44 KB, 570x421, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT: pedants and plebs that will never amount to anything.

>> No.89403

>>89383
>pedant
>goes to harvard
>uses words without knowing their meaning
kek

>> No.89412

>>89403

iPhone spell check when you're typing to fast. Meant to write peasants.

>> No.89434

>>89383
>/b/
sure is freshman in here

>> No.89435

>>89383
i have a overwhelming feeling that you're an slightly depressed misanthropic asian youth seeking validation (i'm azn too)

>> No.89479

>>89435

That hit home so hard...korean or Chinese?

>> No.89523

>>89210
I got 3 A*s and didn't get in.

I also have a thick scouse accent.

>> No.89536

>>85447
Connections are worth their weight in gold. Oddly, other universities in the US are also capable of doing such, but its safe to say that a Michigan Tech graduate won't be a CEO unless he or she starts a company.

>> No.89539

>>89479
asian-american the broad term.
mediocre uneven handwriting + goofy parody ("MASTA RAICE") suggest STEM major (the humanities majors i know at ivies all do debate and wouldn't miss an opportunity to flex their language skills condescendingly)
it's obvious you feel isolated and bored, probably saw an opportunity when you saw discovered /biz/, only chinese-american males i know are that isolated... you probably were forced to go to "chinese school" and have been on the pre-ap math track since jr high. your friends solely consist of other asian, indian,etc guys who sit at the "immigrant nerds table"

>> No.89559

>>89523
You're probably a cunt, though

>> No.89566

>>89523
american here, lel i remember i saw that one video of a liverpoolean soccer player whose english was unintelligible

>> No.89624

>>89559
I was polite, confident, well researched and passionate about my subject, but yeah my accent is rapid and esoteric so it is difficult for people who have heard RP their entire life to understand. It's hardly fair though, it's not like I did anything wrong.

>> No.89679

Does this mean I have to open my Facebook. penn here :(

I never thought of it as investors but thats not a bad idea

>> No.89707

>>86146
Apply and be very outgoing. I know you're shy but there are no rich hermits so stop deluding yourself now.

>> No.90430

A significant portion of the Ivy League student body are sheltered and immature beta faggots, who can't even stand on their two feet. They know nothing about personal finance other than receiving monthly checks/allowances from their mommy or daddy

I've seen community college transfers can be much more independent, motivated and can handle their shit better.

Name value of a school can often times be a shit indicator of how well a person can handle themselves in the real world

>> No.90482

>>85447

If connections were literally worth their weight in gold, they would be worth nothing. Ideas don't weigh anything.

>> No.91212

>>85310
>most people think A
>but I'm here to tell you it's actually B
>Let me offer you no reasoning for this other than "when in reality they probably have a strong work ethic"

>> No.91234

>>89624
>my accent is rapid and esoteric
So:
* You sound like a cunt because of how you speak
* You sound like a cunt because of what you're saying

I'm guessing both of these came into play.

>> No.91253

>>91234
So:
* You're a cunt

>> No.91295

>itt people who weren't smart enough to get into an elite school complain

Got into top 10 uni - middle class - went there because they gave more aid than state schools - 10 top unis will make sure you can go there

>> No.91309

>>91295
>top 10
>elite
top lel

>> No.91750

>> 89624

You're deluded if you think you didn't get in because of your accent. You didn't get in because you weren't as good as the other applicants. Fact is, you weren't as well researched, or as enthusiastic as you needed to be. Either that or you came across as a bell-end who nobody would want to sit in a tutorial with. I know people with accents not even close to RP that got in. For what it's worth I didn't get into Oxbridge, at least I can admit it was because I stuffed up the interview. People like you are pathetic, stop blaming other people for your failures when you're simply not the hot shit you think you are.

>> No.91910

kay so hypothetically speaking, what does a person need to do in high school, in order to get into an ivy league?

>> No.92071

>>85310
my brother is in HBS in this exact moment, he is very limited intelectualy, dosent know much about anything, but we are kind of very well conected politcly in this 3º wold shithole there we live, so he make fortune from governament contracts and things, and THAT money put him in HBS, no anything about serius finance skills

>> No.92293

>Anglos in charge of equal opportunity
kek

>> No.92286

>>91910

You need to get solid A's, break 2000 on the SAT, and be a serious boss athlete or some shit.

That's if you aren't a legacy or underrepresented minority. So it's the standard that will get everyone in.

Don't bitch about legacies or AA, either. Just roll with the fucking punches, only faggots complain about shit they can't control.

>> No.92305

>>92286
is hispanic a good enough minority. Because, I'm not good at sports. What about extracurriculars?

>> No.92331

>>92286
Here's nepotism for you. Ready. Your mom goes to harvard. She meets the father at harvard law. Principals at law firms. Family members in nba, nfl, nhl.

She couldn't break a 1200 on the sat...

She got in

Take it from someone who saw zuckerberg on campus. You want something go get. You are in school to make money and that's it.

That's the goal

Fuck the rich kids

>> No.92475

>>92305

Yeah, play up that Hispanic thing. And you don't have to be good at sports, just be dedicated, show that you're not a nerd and you have a life outside school.

>> No.92510

>>92475
alright thanks man. Yeah, I;m working on that social life thing.

>> No.92628

anyone have any tips about transferring I have shit hs grades but I'm going to enter college next year at suny binghamton and I'll do better. Anyone who went through the process have any tips I'm a spic if that helps

>> No.92872

>>85523
Except he's not at all. You'd be surprised how many I-bankers are working with liberal arts degrees from Harvard.

>> No.92873

>straight A student
>seven AP classes from sophomore to senior year
>4,5,5,6,6,6,6
>35 ACT (Fuck English)
>800 Math II, 800 Physics
>published research
>tranny
>Accepted to MIT (dat Nigel Thornberry email) and Cornell
>Arrested for narcotics possession and intent to sell
>spent 4 months in jail with rehab followed by 4 additional months of rehab

I've been thinking about attending a state school and picking up a two year degree and then transferring to an Ivy. I know I have what it takes, but I doubt they'll even acknowledge my existence with a felony and all.

>> No.92908 [DELETED] 

>>92873
dude I got arrested for stalking and threatening a chick at my west coast uni that lead me on and broke my heart

but luckily I don't have a felony like you do bro

sorry to here that

>> No.92917

>>92873
dude I got arrested for stalking and threatening a chick at my west coast uni that lead me on and broke my heart

but luckily I don't have a felony like you do bro

sorry to hear that

>> No.92921

>>92286
2000 is easy and not nearly enough for ivies without legacy/URM. Even then it probably isn't enough.

>> No.92936

>>92872

I don't know if it's different in the US from the UK, but here in the UK I know plenty of people who went into i-banking with arts degrees. The rabid STEM circlejerk on here seems very overblown to me. In my experience how you interview + your actual grades + work experience trumps what your degree is in every time. Fact is STEM autists tend not to interview very well.

>> No.92947

Yale seriously has Hewbrew right in the fucking logo?

>> No.92977

>>92873
Fuck was you doing slinging at MIT. You ain't have a father to tell you that shit makes life harder for no reason.

Its done since you're a tranny play that up and I think you'd get in. If not embarass them on tv and make them let you in.

>> No.93252

>>92977
It was actually in HS. I stupidly started dabbling in my Junior year to help cope with tranny stuff and violence. I spent all of senior year high. My habit started to grow and I needed money, so I started helping someone out. Obviously it all went to shit one day.

I've honestly though about about sending my story (Ivy-accepted tranny abused into drugs) to some TV talk show people, but decided against it because I'll probably never be able to go deep stealth that way.

>> No.93279

>>92873
you can get a 6 on the APs now?

>> No.93292

>>85912
>> MFW I go to a state school in one of the most corrupt states in the union

>MFW that school is corrupt as fuck

Mommy and daddy are judges in cook county: welcome aboard.

>> No.93320

>>93279
Maybe it was 3s, 4s, and 5s >.> It's been almost two years. I just remember getting a 4 on my first AP sophomore year and being excited.

>> No.93349

>>93252
I don't think its a bad idea. You write your story and reach out to studios in your area. You'd be amazed how many people just stop trying because the receptionist says no 1 time.

Make sure its a good story but the way the media is now why not profit off it. People will love it and watch it. People will hate it and watch.

You make money :)

>> No.93399

>>92331
this. he speaks the truth.

i'd also like to say that as much as everyone gives the benefit of the doubt to technical orientated schools like mit, they too end up accepting legacies at a higher rate as well.

the average person think there are 17 year olds out there having secret meetings and exchanging favors so a legacy will "sneak a suggestion to the admissions" and my god, is this the most hilariously middle class attempt to rationalize the world. legacies have the upper hand because their families have been through the process numerous times. often legacies live in "feeder states" and go to "feeder schools". their schools have carried state/national titles in sports/band/debate/Olympiad for multiple years. like i know this one dude who got into mit simply by participating in his highly ranked magnet schools ECs. his teammates carried him and he claimed he exerted ability on his app but all he did was show up, do some editing and put his name on the paper. the best kicker is that one of the coaches is a alumni who wrote a rec letter for all members of the team.

>> No.93465

>>89536
Maybe not the best example, Mich Tech grads actually do pretty well compared to most other schools in the state (outside of Umich).

>> No.93688

>>92628
bump any tips?

>> No.93720

I'm studying Business And Accountancy at a top 10 business school in the world. I agree, there is no use in going to normal schools, when there are top schools available.

>> No.93708

>>93399
>middle class attempt

What the fuck are you saying?

>> No.93751

>>93708
middle class understanding/attempt to rationalize the world
a lot of people get carried away and think there are rich kids out there literally bribing their way in, when in reality if you were had actual first hand experience, you would know that's not the case

>> No.93777

>>85912
>
>state school
I got in to UIUC, but still couldn't afford it. Illinois State School tuition prices are fucking other state's private school tuition.

I go to UIC for Engineering instead cause they gave me a full ride and I live at home to save on rent.

>> No.94881

>>86191

>be me
>at community college
>4.0
>internship at mayor's office
>member of phi theta kappa
>excellent recs from dean of business, professor
>helped start a food bank
>hispanic (from spain)
>grew up poor
>mfw when no ivy league
>mfw when no face

>> No.95947

>>85853

Relative deprivation. Look it up.

I passed on two Ivy League schools in 2012 and instead went to a state school. I shine at my state school, while I would be an average student at an Ivy. Plus the door is going to remain open for a top graduate school, while if I attended undergraduate at an Ivy, I wouldn't be able to afford it after already being 200k in the hole.

>> No.96098

>>92286
2000 is hella low. If you are not a recruited athlete, famous, rich, artfag, or a minority then you should shoot for 2300+. Still, you better at least have a 3.9 unweighted GPA. None of this guarantees that you will get in, by the way.

You guys reek of bitter nerd. Money is not an issue for the vast majority of people that get accepted to HYP et al: they will pony up funds to make sure you can graduate with minimal debt. These schools are practically a prerequisite when it comes to landing jobs in top accounting firms, top law schools, top banks, etc. If you don't have their name on your resume, tough shit, I hope you know someone that can pull strings for you.

>>95947
Are your parents greedy or do you not know shit about financial aid? You need a familial combined income of over 200,000 to not get any aid.

>> No.96112

>>85310
>having to take multivariate in college after getting a 5 on the BC test

i shiggy diggy

>> No.96177

>>93720
In many countries it doesn't matter that you went to a top university from a global ranking perspective.

It's the top national universities that matter.

>> No.96191

>>96098
2380 SAT here, I got reject from all the ivies. Every single one. Ended up going to the best school in my state, but fuck did I want to go to Harvard.

>> No.96210

>>94881

If you're from Spain you're not Hispanic. You're European. Hispanic = Latin American

>> No.96228

I applied to all the Ivies this year. I only got a 2050 on the SAT, and a 33 ACT, 3.9 unweighted. Plus I come from a shit high school that only offers like 5 AP classes, I've taken them all.

My brother died back in '09 and I really played it up to be a big sob story for one of my personal essays, I hope that helps me get in. Also broke as fuck, I wasn't even going to apply until I heard about all the financial aid they give out.

Does /biz/ think I'll make it?

>> No.96244
File: 68 KB, 250x250, 1391108093459.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>96228
>broke as fuck
>worrying about money

Murican plebs. Here they pay me to go to one of the top European Master's in Finance programs.

Oh and I got a brand new 2013 built apartment to live in as well during my studies, with sea view.

>> No.96269

>>96228
good luck

>> No.96308

>>96228

No. Sucks, but you don't get admitted to Ivies based on bad shit that happened to you.

>> No.96423

>2200 SAT
>700+ Subject tests
>3.93 UW
>top 2%
>poor
>Hispanic
>well rounded ECs (no sports)
>most likely good essays
>first generation + first in family to most likely go to college

I didn't apply to a single Ivy. Best school I applied to was stanford (not getting in)

Did I blow it /biz/

>> No.96450
File: 98 KB, 302x302, jack67.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>96423
Apply to Stockholm school of economics (Handelhögskolan i Stockholm is the name for the undergrad school).

Top 10 finance program in the world. No tuition. Government support while studying.

>> No.96451

>>88983
Then what is my best bet if I am a state school student? Should I transfer now? Work for a while then hope to get into those top business programs?

>> No.96457

>>96423

You have a very, very good chance of getting into Stanford.

>> No.96467

>>96450

That's an idiotic idea. No one in America knows or gives a shit about your random local shitty European universities.

>> No.96732

>ITT: We discuss that value in being a part of a top school.
What validates for a "top school"?

>> No.96752

>>85466

If your parent didn't go to Harvard you probably aren't getting in. It's a glorified Old Boy's Club, vastly overrated and overpriced.

It's not by any stretch a BAD college, but you can shop around and find a public college somewhere that is particularly good in the field you want to study and get MUCH more bang for your buck.