[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 11 KB, 325x274, 564684286.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
846488 No.846488 [Reply] [Original]

My doctor seems to be advising me to do a bunch of very expensive procedures (I will not say what specifically, but each has a pricetag in the thousands). To me, it feels like he has the attitude of a used car salesman. He comes across as a douche, like every other doctor I've ever had. I don't trust doctors/dentists and I never will, so I think my view is too jaded to make a clear call. My insurance will cover all of this, which is exactly what I think he's going for; a fat paycheck for some really overpriced stuff. What do you guys think? Is he taking me for a chump? What do I do about it? It's not like I can accuse him of anything.

>> No.846492

get a second opinion from another doctor

>> No.846496

>>846488
then get a third opinion from a doctor practicing functional medicine.
If still necessary figure out if you can get the procedures done overseas.
Or ask what can be done if you pay cash instead of insurance.

>> No.846497

>>846488

Do one of the following:

(1) If you're using Medicare or Medicaid, see if they have a program that provides a percentage payout for whistleblowers.

(2) If you're not on those cool government insurance schemes, offer your doctor your services as a runner for bringing people into his office.

>> No.846498

>>846488

It's /b/, you're anonymous, tell us what the procedures are ffs.

you might even get some kindly medical /b/trad to advise.

god help you.

>> No.846503

>>846498

>/b/

>Anonymous

apart from the trip, that is.

pardon me, I just bookmarked in, thought it was that other board.

>> No.846509

If the doctors are all in the same network
aren't they in cohoots anyway? Getting another opinion will probably be even worse because they'll recommend it PLUS charge me for their opinion.

>> No.846520
File: 22 KB, 1149x309, shut up retard.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

To the OP: get a second opinion, from a doctor who doesn't already work with your doctor (or at least not in the same complex/hospital).

>>846496
How bout no

>> No.846554

Hi, MD here
It's wise not to trust in a doctor, a car mechanic or any other guy who knows more than you and charges you money.
HOWEVER, when talking about health, risks are higher than when fixing a car. So don't be a cheapskate just for the sake of it.

Anyway, does the money for these procedures go to your doctor's pocket (for example, is he a surgeon who wants to operate), or are we talking about lab tests that will go to the clinic/hospital's funds? Maybe he doesn't profit directly from it.

It would help if you gave more details about your condition here, but still the best advice is to just go see another doctor.. Ideally one who would not directly profit from the procedures involved.

>> No.846569

>>846554

the doctor is an internist
i'm talking about lab tests

like I said, the entire city runs on a network and I would imagine there could be many collaborators, so even going across town doesn't seem like it will help

>> No.846574

basically what I want to know is if such a thing is even possible?

can doctors just take advantage of people who don't know better to score money off their healthcare plans?

>> No.846581

>>846574
Of course anything is possible.. But at least from my experience as a doctor, I can tell you I've only seen it when the practitioner himself profits directly. For example, when he charges you for a surgery, or for administering something and he will get paid personally.

I've never (personally) seen an indirect scheme to profit from patients as a group. But I have seen many times, doctors requesting excessive and expensive tests because of ignorance (basically asking for all tests possible because they don't have enough medical knowledge to make a diagnosis based on the single most important test), or because they fear they will be sued by a patient for not making sure a certain "dangerous" diagnosis is excluded. That's why a second opinion may be worth it.

That's all I could tell you from my experience.

>> No.847114

Hospitals and doctors take advantage everyday, it's their business, but no one can argue against them. If another doctor speaks against them, they can argue that it's a matter of medical opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqQ-JuRDkl8

>> No.847116

>>846581
I know a doctor who charges good money for his work but what makes he really important is the amount of money he brings to hospitals. A routine checkup prescription contains over 80 lab tests and dozens of imaging tests. He basically owns the hospital because of this.

>> No.847182

>>847116
The fuck?

What is he doing screening for SPARTAN cadiates?!

>> No.847187

>>846488
This happened to my grandmother. She was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 90 something. Instead of letting her live out her last days in comfort, the hospital convinced us to undertake all of these surgeries and procedures until she finally died in pain weeks later. What a waste of money and effort. All for profit. fuck those guys.

>> No.847194

>>847182
Did they even do medical tests when evaluating the candidates? I thought it was all genetic. I mean, what information can you glean from medical diagnostics when you're looking at 10 year olds?

>> No.847258

>>847116
Routine checkup with 80 lab tests and imaging? Routine?

I doubt it, unless it's for astronauts or something.