[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 32 KB, 537x529, 3f5a00acf72df93528b6bb7cd0a4fd0c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
843679 No.843679 [Reply] [Original]

So here's the thing. I was a suicidal NEET 2 years ago, I just couldn't deal with the fact my life was going to be about commuting early, having a shitty salary with low expectations of raises, dealing with clients, high stress.. fastfoward 2 years and im living off Youtube with 1 million and something subscribers and growing (it seems once you start growing it just keeps growing), about 200K views per video, uploading about 1 video daily. I cant believe im living off playing Minecraft and the occasional other games, whatever shit is trending.
Anyway, my major concern is the long term. Am I going to be able to retire doing this? Im concerned about my main range of viewers growing up from games and leaving me with exponentially lower visits. Will more and more kids keep visiting my videos forever? I just cant believe im making a living out of this and it seems like it's only getting better, like I said more people susbscribe daily, it's like a snowball effect. It takes time to play and edit the videos but I'll take this NEET+money+games lifestyle rather than any realistic alternatives. I don't even have any education past HS. Thank god for Youtube lol.

>> No.843687

>>843679
How did you do it? How much money do you make?

>> No.843690
File: 204 KB, 750x506, dogebelfort.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>843687
I started being featured in the channel of a friend that already had like 200k subscribers, it was hard at first but I got like 1K subscribers pretty fast, then 10... etc. I dont really fucking know tbh. It probably helped that I didnt start from the bottom 100%. I have no idea how my friend got 200k susbscribers. Im on machinima so a % of the gains dont go to me, i make around 5K-6K sometimes more.

>> No.843700

>>843690
5 to 6k a month? I am curious how your friend got started

Realistically yes you should learn some valuable in demand skills you are interested in like a trade or something because that isn't going to last forever

>> No.843750 [DELETED] 

>>843690
You're with machinima? That's cool. I used to watch it in 2008. You are right in suspecting diminishing returns -- I would say that your channel has a lifetime of about three years before it loses popularity. I second what this anon said >>843700
> nice dubs
about getting into a trade and becoming a skilled worker. There's really no other viable option if you want to retire.

>> No.843751

>>843690
You're with machinima? That's cool. I used to watch it in 2008. You are right in suspecting diminishing returns -- I would say that your channel has a lifetime of about three more years before it loses popularity. I second what this anon said >>843700
> nice dubs
about getting into a trade and becoming a skilled worker. There's really no other viable option if you want to retire.

>> No.843754

>>843679
What's your channel?

>> No.843763

>>843700
Why isn't it going to last forever? I already got past the treshold of being "famous", i have 1 million subscribers, snowball effect too big to dissapear, at this rate i'll reach 2 within a year.

>>843751
Same, tell me how im realistically going to go down from this when im only going up? If these kids grow up new kids will be born, there are new 12 year old yearly. Once you reach certain fame the Youtube algorithm pushes your videos in the "suggested" stuff on the side.

>> No.843786
File: 177 KB, 852x581, 1437908693628.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>843763
Hmm. I was basing that assessment off of https://www.youtube.com/user/ShaneDawsonTV/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid because I had thought that he had had diminishing returns, but it seems that he has pulled in steady viewership since 2008.
https://www.youtube.com/user/smosh/videos?flow=grid&view=0&sort=da would support the idea of less viewership, but it is really minuscule differences. Smosh still has millions of views even on their most recent videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/nigahiga/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid it is same case with nigahiga aka Ryan Higa.

However, the difference is that these are comedian vloggers, not just video game streamers. So here I will compare apples to apples and go on yogscast: https://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos/videos?flow=grid&view=0&sort=dd

Ok, it seems that I was wrong. As long as you keep pumping out entertaining & well-edited content, you will retain viewership. The main variable here is if you know the needs of your audience and how often/if you will decide to change the format of the show.

>> No.843797

>>843786
Yeah this shit seems like it lasts forever, I dont even need to do anything different beyond uploading whatever gamemode is trendy on minecraft and whatnot. It's hilarious how this is more stable than any actual jobs.

>> No.843817

>>843797
Just remember to have a plan b. godspeed anon

>> No.843824

>>843797
You should invest your money, that way if your channel tanks, you still have the chance of continuing your NEET lifestyle.

>> No.845083
File: 84 KB, 476x484, jesusbanepostingf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>843679
Sounds really risky. You should have a backup plan just in case.