[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 41 KB, 553x369, monkey business.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
816635 No.816635 [Reply] [Original]

i have a degree in finance which i'll be completing in 6 months..

only problem is i have little to no finance experience, or any real job experience(except a few retail stores here and there). I was active in the finance club at my school though.

i was unable to secure internships during my junior year and took classes and worked retail in the summer to pay for my summer classes.

I don't know what to do in terms of how to secure an actual job. Applying yielded no results. Anyone been in my situation? Am I fucked? What do I do?

>> No.816844

Bump

>> No.816846

You're going to land back in retail.

>> No.816859

College is the time to network.

No networking = mediocre post college life.
Networking = less mediocre post college life.

Do real estate if you want to be a winrar at life

Former finance major
Currently pursuing entrepreneurship with my secured cash flow. Can start business ventures and gain partners. Plus won't hate life

>> No.816872

>>816635

Look into temp agencies, at least there you can land an office job.

>>816859
^ this try networking befriend the teacher, your peers, and whoever you can. It will help out a lot.

>> No.816874

>>816635
Idiot. I'm going into my sophomore year and I've called my local investment firms to secure internships. Im also in contact with state street corporation about internships in the summer.

>> No.816881

>>816874
Also; im in a strong fraternity (real not business frat), good family friends and formally amorous with the daughter of the COO of Iberia Bank in the south east of US.

You should really work on networking..

>> No.817883

Networking hasnt worked as I don't know anyone in the finance field

>> No.817885

>>816874
Any thing you find works particularly well for calling internship firms?

>> No.818016

>>817883
You're going to have a bad time. Srs.

Unless you really try to find a job and negotiate a higher salary with better benefits

>> No.818948

>>818016

How do I get a finance job with no finance experience?

>> No.818954

>>818948
Sucking dick. Also most finance jobs are notorious for discriminated among what university you attended.

>> No.818972

>>818948
Entry level sales at insurance office.

Only know because when I applied (mgmt was alumni to my uni) I had to take an exam that was 80% finance/stats

>> No.819031

I'm in precisely your position. Almost landed an internship with the treasury in money management and investments with ScanSource, I was real depressed as the rest fell out. Have probably the best non career path job Ive had at a high end boutique butcher shop nearby, friendly with all the rich folk. Mentioned golf over one of their wine nights, invited me out to play with him, a VP of Fluor and a president of a credit union. Both have said to contact upon graduation and they'll find me a job and want to keep up playing monthly.

I went from nothing to two laid out career paths. Fluor would be project management, obviously banking the other route. Can't articulate the relief. It really fucking is about networking and putting yourself out there. Go do it

>> No.819176

I graduated 2 monthes ago with a finance degree, put my degree on monster.com, Got over 25 financial sales position calls in a week. I should recommend you do it now, because many of these jobs require a
"life insurance or auto/home/casualty insurance" or "series 6 (mutual funds) license" if you land a part-time at these places, and get all the licenses you will be the sexiest mo-fo in the job market. Everyone is retiring they NEED these services.

>> No.819993

>>819176
>>819176
>>819176

but fuck "sales" isn't even real finance though

>> No.820015

>>819993
Fuck man, it'll help. You'll build people skills. Shows you're motivated. You need to bolster your CV since it currently isn't cutting it. EVERYONE loves seeing sales on a CV.

>> No.820017

>>819993
I'd start to zero in on a local bank. If you get that sales experience spoken about earlier, paired with your finance degree you should be able to sign in as at least a JR. Loan officer. From there you'll gain some finance experience. Mortgages aren't as sexy as securities, but they'll get your foot in the door. And make you good money too. I'm sure you have SOME contact with a local bank. Your parents get a loan from one?

>> No.820018

>>816635
Sorry for spamming, but I was very recently in your position. I mined every contact I had, even the unrelated ones. Eventually I got put in contact with a financial adviser. He did work with my family. I bought him lunch, chatted with him and he let me see his network. He put in a good word for me at a bank and bam. I have no experience and a poor gpa, but using every little contact I had I now have a serious interview with a high chance of getting this job. 50k administrative for two years before getting bumped up to loan officer. All his other officers are making 400k. Pretty fucking awesome. So don't give up hope. Look/ apply fucking everywhere. Mine every contact shamelessly.

>> No.820441

>>816859
Please give more info about mixing property with finance

>> No.820445

>>816635
just watch tastytrade.com and learn the real world stuff.
They just had on an 18 year old who beat out guys with masters b/c he had real world experience.