[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 758 KB, 1024x768, Jellyfish.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
815413 No.815413 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /biz/, I want to hear what you have to say. I'm talking mainly from a United States point-of-view.

People love their phones. I doubt the phone that fits in a pocket or purse is going away anytime soon. I'm expecting in the next 15 years people will still be traveling a lot day-to-day, for work, school, groceries, recreation and people will still enjoy checking the next instagram or vine while in public when they are waiting for something. Means people will still be spending a lot of money on their phones.

Apple obviously has the majority of the current smartphone market. So, I noticed people are already dreading buying the next iPhone. "Oh, it's just the 7, 8, 9, 25." I noticed before people were sort of fine with it, "Oh, I have the 3, I'll probably just get the 5 when it comes out," but now people say they are growing tired of iphones. Some device line will prevail though.

Android already seems to already have a fued with Apple so I don't think people will switch over from iPhone to Android too much. Also Android is mostly open-source and is linux-based so it won't be too common among normies.

If Apple does start losing, they might introduce some fuckup in a vain attempt to keep their market share like Microsoft did with Windows 8.

To mix topics, I believe home cinema also moves towards a predictable future. A growing number of people will be cutting off their cable in favor of internet streaming. That means devices to get the stream you want onto the big screen. Additionally, cable will probably become dirt cheap in the next few years so that more people will buy it. Cable providers will probably become fairly desperate to keep you as a bundled customer and fail at providing a cable box with lots of apps on it too.

>> No.815414
File: 760 KB, 1024x768, Penguins.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So, there are the Smart TVs, the boxes, the consoles, and HDMI from someone's laptop. Smart TVs with the apps directly on the tv don't seem to be too popular right now and I don't think they will be within the next 3 years. The consoles are Xbox and PlayStation, with Nintendo not taking much of the cake.

It could turn out to be that one entire household will exclusively use product X, while another household has a lot of product Y.

Microsoft seems a good share with Xbox, Windows, and the windows phone dispite everyone hating Windows 8 and M$'s implementation of the cloud.

Sony does have some home entertainment market share with the PlayStation and its online services.

There are also 'neutral' alternatives (not exclusive to either Windows or Apple), like the Roku or Slingbox.

What do you think the next few (3-10) years will bring us, /biz/?

On a side note, tumblr seems to be the only userbase that really cares about news articles, yeah?

>> No.815415
File: 548 KB, 1024x768, Lighthouse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>815413
I'll go first:

People will continue to buy iPhones mainly, and purchase the 'neutral' boxes. Paired with a TV from nearly any TV manufacturer that has universal ports for devices to plug into.

Sony will probably release a smartphone and launch a huge advertising campaign about how well it pairs with the PlayStation and allows you to access Netflix, Hulu, etc. Not too much market share.

Xbox will have a decent market share, but mainly for gaming and "why buy a box when we already have this".

Nintendo will retain it's casual-gaming status and won't have much internet streaming service use.

Everyone and their grandmother will continue illegally streaming movies off websites that typically have ccTLDs.

Boxes or consoles will have the highest usage. People like to use their own laptop and won't like to set up Airplay or HDMI streaming from their own computer except occasionally, just to watch one movie or do one thing, probably watch a movie on a sketchy site because that movie was just released. Boxes and consoles don't have good general web browsers, just apps for example Netflix.

I think Google is going to do badly. I expect chromebooks, chromecast, and Android to have a minimal market share.

I think Roku in particular is going to do great in sales in the next 5 years.

Money seems to be at Apple, Roku, and any TV manufacturer for the devices, as for content providers I don't have a clue. Livestream.tv would gain a userbase of live sports viewers. People love their sports, but don't want to pay for cable tv.