[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 34 KB, 640x585, 1435675157746.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
804293 No.804293 [Reply] [Original]

This may sound fucking dumb but I've just graduated with an engineering degree. I have no real career preferences except I want a graduate role in something "prestigious". These graduate application processes open in the autumn and hire people so they start next year.

If I start working full time right now at a non prestigious but serious sounding job (e.g. engineer at unkown company in the middle of nowhere), will these graduate employers think less of me because it's like I'll have been "taken out of my wrapper" and gone from a "fresh graduate" to someone who started a career at somewhere not that good? I feel like they won't think this if I get a menial part time job.

>> No.804294

Congrats you majored in a field with a massive inux of recent and past grads that are now unemployed.

The fact that you have no recent career experience won't make you an attractive hire to any employer

>> No.804304

I work in a graduate program. Your academic profile is only important at this point...except if you do something exceptional in the field which is mostly academic...i.e. working in a research program...i.e. not product development.