[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 13 KB, 300x202, th..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
797091 No.797091 [Reply] [Original]

If $50,000 suddenly appeared in your bank account (and all of your existing expenses were already covered), what would you invest in? At what ration would you split your money between high risk/reward investments & safer ones? Despite the obvious unlikelihood of doing so, with lots of diligence & luck, how long do you think it would take to achieve a 10,000% return on this initial investment (ala Gates, Jobs, Buffet, and the guy who wrote "Confessions of a Stock Operator" iirc)? Serious replies only, please, but feel free to be creative, risky, and outside-the-box -- anything goes.

>> No.797159

>OP here, priming the p'ump with a b'ump.

The writing on the wall makes it *very* tempting for me to short a whole bunch of oil futures on account of world events (ISIS & Iraq liquidating their reserves to bankroll their respective armies, Saudi Arabia shaking weak production out of the market, oil prices dropping to compete with relatively affordable alternative energy...).

I have some friends who are legal suppliers of medical marijuana to dispensaries, and could just put money into their operations or start my own under them.

I understand that FOREX & currency trading can be very profitable if one puts a lot of time into studying and working the market.

Buying & renting real estate is a time-honored method of protecting wealth, and buying foreclosed property and renting it to Section 8 recipients seems like a goldmine of guaranteed income.

Credit card "stoozing" still works, doesn't it?

Don't laugh at this, but I know how to effectively play Craps, Texas Hold 'Em & Blackjack using strategies which minimize risk while maximizing reward; Craps, in particular (despite being a dice game), can be rather profitable over time if one places a proper spread of bets (Insurance, "Yo," etc).

Developing a "killer app" by contracting different parts of the work out to capable but affordable subcontractors (teenage Russian & Indian coders, etc) has a small but real chance of producing something as profitable as "Angry Birds."

A friend of mine can get raw leaves in bulk for a good price, allowing the initial investment to triple or quadruple with the use of inexpensive chemicals & equipment if we turn it into coke ourselves, and I have the connections to flood the market.

A coin-operated laundromat in a heavily populated cities with multiple colleges are practically guaranteed sources of residual income, and I've met some people who've hustled there way up to buying one and simply retiring on the income they generate.

Deploying a worldwide botnet can make a lot money.

>> No.797160

>>797091
All goes to AMS.IWDA (Index fund: Ishares World Developed Accumulation) because I'm an eurofag and can't into Vanguard.

>> No.797167

>>797160
Nice automatically-generated trip, "FUt5hrs" -- "Futures" -- and thanks for the tip.

I understand that student loan debt is currently a safer and more profitable way to protect & build wealth than real estate, but, realistically, how much would I have to pour in to see meaningful returns?

>> No.797172
File: 2.38 MB, 362x236, cowboylosing.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>797167

>> No.797187

>>797091

Small portfolio of large cap stocks. 40 years to achieve 10,000% return. Slow but steady.

>> No.797193

>>797187
So, if I put a third into the portfolio you suggested, another third into something much riskier, and bet the rest on black at the roulette table....

>> No.797202

>>797193
You would have demonstrated to be a clueless tard.
Congrats, OP! It's hard to achieve that level in so few posts!

>> No.797533

>>797202
New high score? Alright, I'm on a roll! So, are you saying that I should just wager the whole fifty grand on a single game of Cee-Low?

>> No.797741

>>797533
What's the purpose of this thread, good sir or madam? We can't give you accurate answers if you don't start with accurate questions.

>> No.797750

I'd blue it on whores and blow

>> No.797762

50k isn't really life changing money so I'd just let it sit in my bank account and maybe buy a cheap house for cash after a few more years of saving

I live in the midwest though so its pretty easy to get a decent house in a non nigger neighborhood for about 80k

>> No.797773 [DELETED] 
File: 612 KB, 5000x2600, The Next 25 Years for Bitcoin - A Payment Network for Planet Earth.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Go all in with BTC now. Wait for 2 years. Enjoy the trillion marketcap tier gains as transaction volume has surpassed Mastercard, Visa and Paypal combined.

You can always ignore this advice and stay a deprecated grandpa.

>> No.797774
File: 612 KB, 5000x2600, The Next 25 Years for Bitcoin - A Payment Network for Planet Earth.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Go all in with BTC now. Wait for 10-20 years. Enjoy the trillion marketcap tier gains as transaction volume has surpassed Mastercard, Visa and Paypal combined.

You can always ignore this advice and stay a deprecated grandpa with your boring ass picks.

>> No.797775

Ez gold. Just pick one solid refinery and invest more and more as it gets cheaper.

>> No.798063

>>797741
Please forgive me; ask these questions.

>> No.798082

>>797091
dump it into a high-risk mutual fund, like one focused on developing countries, and wait until 20 years.

I didn't work for the money, so I won't be heart-broken if I lose it

>> No.798109

>>797091
put it into a balanced portfolio of low cost index funds with exposure to US small caps/large caps/international stocks and then leave it alone for 40 years

>> No.798133

>>797774
Ebin b8 my friend xDDD

>> No.798314

>>798133
Screen caped to laught at you in 10 years. Enjoy.

>> No.798792

>>797091
Honestly? I'd buy a house close to work. Bypassing the PMI and substantially lowering the monthly payment makes the jump from renting -> owning worth it. It'll take years to pay off, but rent/mortgage is always an expense when your whole family is dead and hasn't left you a penny at 26.