[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 34 KB, 430x290, 1433436874514.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
782500 No.782500 [Reply] [Original]

I want to get into stock trading/investing. Where do i start? Whos a good broker for a beginner? What do i need to do before opening an account? What software do i need to trade?

>> No.782502

have 10k
use investopedia
you can use the broker's website
literally any broker, just find one with low fees and good in-house funds

>> No.782509

Do you have $500?

If yes, Open a retail brokerage account. Etrade/Scottrade/TDA or where ever else, assuming you're in the US.

Go crazy, buy ~$100 or less of shares at a time. Try to implement techniques. When they don't work, find out why. Improve each time. Do this until you feel comfortable. Then add a few thousand to your account balance. Continue doing this until you've lost all of your money.
>the alternative being, you're actually good at it.

>What do i need to do before opening an account (in the US?)?
Be 18+
Have $500+
Be able to send identification verification
Be able to sign and send contract documents to open account

>What software do i need to trade?
With any of the major brokers, the trading software is built in to your account.

----- OR ------
I have anther alternative for getting into the markets.

Open an account at Vanguard (make it an IRA or Roth IRA if you’re eligible to contribute to one) and put $1000 in the target-date fund of your choice.

These funds are cheap and own a diversified mix of stocks and bonds.

Go ahead and drop another $20 on that investing book (or get it from the library).

You’ll learn that even with a low-cost, diversified portfolio, sometimes you’ll lose money. Sometimes a lot of money.

That’s no reason to avoid investing.

It’s a good reason to control what you can (keep costs low, diversify, and avoid active management), invest according to your risk tolerance (don’t own 100% stocks if you won’t be able to sleep at night), and stay calm when everyone else is panicking.