[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 26 KB, 558x515, 1403308514111.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
782195 No.782195 [Reply] [Original]

What can I do with an Arts degree? English major...

>> No.782196

By killing yourself.

>> No.782214

>>782195
um, arts?
There is a great need for website designers, most brogrammers barely know how to code and have no idea how to make something look aesthetic

>> No.782215

>>782195
Make art with english.. Words?

>> No.782232

If you're a woman, just keep doing what you're doing, and get a boyfriend with a good job.

If you're a man, consider changing your major to something useful, like business or a STEM field.
You could also become English teacher, if you're a native English speaker, I heard it's easy to get a job in the third world as English teacher as long as you have a degree. Or just become a teacher in your own country.
Other than becoming teacher you don't have many options left. There's nothing else a degree like that is useful for. That is, any job that you can get, you could also.get without the degree. Like working in a library, or becoming a freelance translator (assuming you know any other language, normally you'd need a translator degree though), or becoming an author, or a tourist guide in London, or some sort of cultural adviser for companies (they would probably prefer psychology majors).
Of course if all else fails, you can get a PhD in English (hahahahah) and become college professor.

>> No.782234

you can go back to college and get a real degree or you can compete for jobs with high school graduates as your peers.

>> No.782721

>>782232

Basically this.

If you're set on being an English Major, start specializing a little bit more. By that I mean pick up a second, or even a third language. One that won't have you end up in a shitpit, but a place that;s either developing, or is developed but still doesn't speak English as a major language.

Then you become a highly specialized teacher teaching english to kids oversea's. Russia, Japan, South Korea, and even some European countries need English teachers. Also some south American Countries that aren't too bad, and some African Nations that are stable also have need of English teachers. You can easily make good money that way, see the world, etc.

Or, become a College Professor I guess.

>> No.782821

How about being a technical writer?

There's demand for people who can explain technical concepts in an easy-to-understand format to document software products.

>> No.782893

>>782195
You can tell people that the guac is extra

>> No.782931

You can get a job in advertising.

>> No.782932

>>782195
Get a job that involves writing? Journalism or something. You could explore teaching alternatively.

Or you could just get a job that's totally unrelated to your degree. Happens quite often.

>> No.782938

Got an English degree a year ago, currently make 65k base doing software sales. No regrets, really

>> No.783025
File: 45 KB, 640x512, 1392473494794.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>782938
Sounds good, how did you get that job? What kind of sales? I've done telemarketing sales before. Hated it.

>> No.783051

Alternative teaching certification.
Quick one year masters in ed leadership. School doesnt matter, keep tuition dirt cheap.
4-5 years in apply for AP, than P,

>> No.783170

>>782195

Become an English teacher (high school).
Get a PhD and become an English professor at a college or uni, decent money.
Write a book, pray to some god that it's successful.
Take some science pre requisites, write the MCAT/DAT, go to medical school or dental school.
Write the LSAT, go to law school.
Tutor foreigners.

Take a pick. English is fairly versatile, but then again you can do a lot of what I said with just about any degree.

>> No.783235

Teach English in Japan and get a qt 3/3 azn gf, travel.

Become a copywriter then an alcoholic, chain smoking creative director who cheats on his azn qt 3/3 gf with his secretaries .

Write a female fantasy novel, you know what I mean. Take inspiration from azn qt 3/3 gf. Call it sashimi dreaming and secretary creaming.

>> No.783725

I'm surprised the only requirements to go get public school jobs teaching English in Japan or Korea are a bachelors in English and a native English speaker.

I would've thought you'd need to at least be proficient in Korean or Japanese. Either way, who would want to go there and do that if you weren't? How does that work? The kids could literally be saying "this teacher has a loose pussy" or something.

>> No.783729

>>783235

>sashimi dreaming and secretary creaming

kek

>> No.783732

>>783725
Its better u dont know korean/japanese so the kids have to communicate with you in english

>> No.783733
File: 306 KB, 600x450, 1433284581892.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>782195
being unemployed

>> No.783893
File: 1.51 MB, 3264x1836, 20150502_192557_HDR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>783725
I work in Korea currently saving $1500 a month. I've barely learned any Korean. I speak English at work it's easy to learn enough survival Korean for going to stores and restaurants.

The job is pretty good. I want to try Taiwan or Japan or Russia next.

>> No.783940

People are so fucking myopic.

English or STEM the rules still apply: MARKET yourself. Every, single day. OP. Don't stop. Try to make connections every day.

Go to the Poetry slam. Write for some Pamphlet. Basically, no excuses. Go to talks. Go to speeches. Go, go, go.

For lib arts it's absolutely NOT academia or bust. The market is bigger and more diverse than you or any STEM blowhard thinks. The world is bigger than poetry and robots.

Don't let papers define you OP. Grab your passion and go find some shit to do god dammit.