[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 1.82 MB, 1590x818, stock-chart-blue.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
779109 No.779109 [Reply] [Original]

Stock fags. I'm pretty new to this stuff and wanna know if any of you fags have any good advice for me. I am incredibly serious about getting into stocks and I wanna get as much advice as I can from you guys. I completely understand it's not easy, otherwise I wouldn't of came to 4chan.

>> No.779110

>>779109
Lurking out of curiosity

>> No.779225

>>779109
>I completely understand it's not easy, otherwise I wouldn't of came to 4chan.
>otherwise I wouldn't of came to 4chan
>4chan

There are a shit ton of websites about stocks, but you come here.
To learn.......
About stocks......
on 4chan.......
Out of all the fuckin websites online.......

>> No.779245

>>779109

>I completely understand it's not easy

Depending on the approach you take, it can be very easy.

I'm kind of a noob myself, but I'll tell you what I can. As far as I can see, there are two basic philosophies here: I'll call them Humble and Ambitious.

Humble investors don't try to beat the stock market, because that would put them in direct competition with literally every other investor, many of whom have supercomputers and/or 30+ years of experience and/or insider connections. Instead, they buy Treasury bonds, money market bonds, or index funds depending on their appetite for risk and when they expect to retire. These are instruments which let them spread investments around, investing in entire nations/economies instead of individual companies. As a result, they end up doing about as well as the wider market, and no better.

Ambitious investors DO think they can beat the system. They aim to identify situations where stocks are temporarily under- or overpriced, and take advantage of them while they last. Their job is a lot harder, because markets are anti-inductive: if enough people expect that APPL stock will rise on Monday and fall on Tuesday, it will fall on Monday (as people try to get out at a high) and rise on Tuesday (as people try to buy in at a low). Also, it's hard for them to tell - even after the fact - whether their plans are brilliant or deluded, and whether their victories/failures came down to luck or skill.

In case you can't tell, I'm the first kind.

>>779110

>samefagging on /biz/
>not even shilling anything
>middle kek

>> No.779362
File: 104 KB, 631x471, 1433645089323.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>779109
>>779110
My good advice is to not take advice from /biz/ and instead use common sense.

>> No.779889

– Don't buy or sell more than a dozen times per year; the more you trade the more you spend on brokerage;
– Don't think your portfolio is diversified because you purchased several different equities. Consider where these equities derive their revenue, at home or overseas? Consider what industry sector they are part of (there's a classification system for this called GICS), consider whether revenue and profit are stable year to year or whether they fluctuate massively according to business cycles;
– Read the annual reports; make sure you read the cashflow statements because they are harder for the accountant to game than the profit/loss statement
– Pay attention to the number of shares on issue for each quity: has it been stable over time, a gradual increase, or does the number increase massively year to year? The more the company issues shares the smaller your piece of the pie becomes, unless you make additional purchases;
– Price-to-earnings ratio is worthless for anything except established companies in mature markets.

>> No.779894

>>779889

– The best Youtube educational resources for investing and general finance are:
https://www.youtube.com/user/EducationUnlocked
https://www.youtube.com/user/moneycontent
https://www.youtube.com/user/MoneyWeekVideos

>> No.780629

Don't invest in anything until you read something by John Bogle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470102101/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0470102101&linkCode=as2&tag=wwwbestclimbi-20&linkId=QTVY6GJIY7N3QZMX

>> No.780641

>>779109
watch overall market and watch stocks that you are interested in.
The best way for me to learn was to actually put small amounts in the market. Its easy to not watch something if it doesn't effect you as much, but as soon as you put money in you just might learn more, you'll never get far if you don't try.

>> No.780660

Short PRAN

>> No.780722

>>780660
buy ORC and hold till 14. collect the divi for a couple months and it should be back to 14

>> No.780823

>>780722
What's the gag here? Just looked them up and they seem to reliably pay out high dividends, with a share price that hasn't changed much over the past few years.

>> No.780885

>>780660
Haha good call what a fucking pump, I'm honestly thinking of taking the Sykes route cuz these fuckers are doing this shit in broad daylight checkout deac, already had its first dump but went up like 20% yesterday

>> No.780902

>>780823
im not sure, ive been holding the stock since october, it hits 14.20 then goes back down to around 13. i just hold and collect divi. they seem to be accumulating cash according to their balance sheet. just gotta keep an eye on their taxable income every quarter, if it stays around the same, the divi will and most likely the stock price

>> No.780905

>>780641
What this guy said. I took $1000 out of my savings and just bought 4 different stocks I thought looked promising (based on very little previous knowledge). I'm not gonna make much money of the investment but I am learning a great deal due to having a vested interest now.

>> No.780986

>>779225
So, goyim, what websites would you personally recommend?

>> No.781009

>>780986
i dont know much but this website seems like it knows their stuff.
Investopedia

>> No.781115

>>779245
you dont ''beat the stock market'' you ride the waves using technical analysis which finds the markets sentiment if your a trader, if your a investor you try to predict the markets seniment towards the company in the future by looking at its fundamentals

>> No.781117

>>780660
have fun losing money