[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 449 KB, 850x1200, 1427679549987.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
776876 No.776876 [Reply] [Original]

Alright Biz, I'm a 34 year old guy who has been NEET for 11 years. Does anyone have any idea how I can fast track my career and have a decent job that people won't laugh at by the time I'm 40? I'm willing to enrol in university again, work in fast food, just about anything as long as I have my foot in the door of a career in 6 years time.

>> No.776879

>>776876
Learn to program, do some freelancing/do your own projects, show your portfolio to some people, get hired

>> No.776883

>>776879
What good resources are there for learning programming online? Also which are the best languages to learn for the best chance of being employed in a wide range of industries?

>> No.776887
File: 92 KB, 639x960, aXbRQPD_700b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>776876

>34 year old guy
>NEET for 11 years

just how??

>> No.776888

>>776883
Well I learned python first, learn python the hard way is a very good website, then I learned java, this autist named bucky from the channel thenewboston has useful tutorials on youtube. Browse /g/, participate in daily programming threads, and bookmark stack overflow (gonna be your best friend when learning java). Dont give up though, youre going to feel like you know nothing about programming for a while, but one day it will all click. Once you mastered python (its a really ez language) and java (annoying but makes sense after a while) you will probably be skilled enough to figure out what language that you want to learn next.

>> No.776891

>>776888
Bucky is very helpful. I second this anon.

>> No.776892

>>776888
Alright, thanks man. I'll give it a shot. In the mean time I'll look for some entry position grunt work to hopefully give my resume a bit more oomph.

>>776887
My father had severe empty nest syndrome when my brother moved out and basically wanted me to stay home forever, to the point of sabotaging job interviews and such. I got too accustomed to a comfy life of doing nothing and welp, before I knew it over a decade had passed. Dads retiring soon and realized he can't support us both on his pension so he grudgingly agreed to let me get a job

>> No.776893

>>776887
I was NEET for 9 years. Inherited a business when I was in my early 20s, sold it for a decent but not huge chunk of money. fast forward to today, now money is running out. I'm not "fucked" though as i could probably pull together $2-300k if i sold a bunch of shit(i have a vacation home, a shitty boat and some art) and still be left with my apartment that i own outright. its going to come to that soon..

>> No.777962

>>776893
Gambatte anon. We'll both try hard and we'll both make it

>> No.777964

Jesus christ man, I thought I was behind with getting a comp sci degree at 28.

>> No.777982

Fuuuuck. Even if you go back to school, your resume is gonna look like shit with that 11 year work gap.

Not saying you're screwed, but maybe look into careers that won't require/care about a resume. I know allied health programs are good for that. See if your local community college has a program for radiographers/CT techs/ultrasound techs or (on the higher-up side) nursing. Those sorts of programs are basically "do this shit, learn this crap, and you will get a job no questions asked". Good money too. And it's respectable enough, way better than being 50 and having to tell people that you're the assistant night manager at Taco Bell or something.

>> No.777996

>>776892
man, in the time that he kept you home, you should've sought some work-from-home opportunities. I mean, with that much free time and general lack of financial stress, you could've struck up a blog, applications for long-distance editing, work part time at the grocery across the street, etc. Of course, I make it sound way easier than it is. My point being that you had both the time to fling innumerable amounts of applications for anything and the time to see if anything stuck.
But no use begruding your past. If anything, your guilt is one hell of a driving force now; a lot of college kids I know met their downfall by being picky, spoiled brats expecting 100k starting. My recommendation is attend a local community college, work parttime (if schedule permits and you're not super stressed out by it), scrimp and save by continuing to live with your father, and the rest generally falls into place.

>> No.778005

>>777996
Yeah I know I screwed up. I don't begrudge my dad, it was my fault for being too content with the NEET life, he only enabled me.

>> No.778012

Am I wrong for recommending trying out for a trade? During stress times of uni I'd dream of trying out an electrician's apprenticeship which doesn't seem to have very stringent requirements.
4 year apprenticeship making more than minimum wage then an average of 50k yearly.

It's anecdotal but I feel it's necessary to add that my sister-in-law's father makes six figures so take that as you will.

Good luck in the future anon!

>> No.778041

>>778012
your brother's wife's father makes six figures and you're gonna rob him?

>> No.778053

>>776888
How many years of learning till I can aquire decent skills and get profitable?
How many hours per week in front of the computer coding?

>> No.778062

>>778053
Depends on your intelligence pesistance and handyness with computer languages. But basic coding could be learned in a few weeks if you push 10-15 hours a week working on a project. But to be really good at it it takes years for a lot of people.

>> No.778143

>>776887
>NEET
>Never Educated, Employed or Trained
Yeah I'm at a loss too

>> No.778164

>>776892
ignore this anon. Programming is only an option if you are really intelligent. On top of the the second dot com will be busting soon.

Go to PA school or pharmacy school. Healthcare should have jobs in 5 years.

>> No.778171

>>778005
dude you didn't even screw up. I know NEETs that have been at it longer than you. I know a girl that has a chemical engineering degree working at Walmart. I know a person with a 4 year chemistry degree living at home playing DOTA all day. THere are tons of NEETs out there. To earn money/get a job you really have to be hyper aggressive.

>> No.778195

>>778164
PA school is 4 year undergrad + 2 year PA school and on top of that PA school is very competitive with less than 10% getting in

probably not the best option

>> No.778215

>>776883
Learn python, struggle through C [You will inherit Java and C++ pretty easily], and then pick up Ruby on Rails [similar to python]. Really, it's less about the languages you "know" and more about thinking in the programming mindset. Commands will be slightly different from language to language, but Google is your friend to help you adapt.

>> No.778245

>>778143
Know your acronyms pleb.
NOT in EDUCATION EMPLOYMENT or TRAINING.

>> No.778556

>>778143
refer to >>778245 lest you misread situations like you just did in this thread.
Could think of a NEET as a shut-in, basement dweller; doesn't necessarily insinuate he hasn't had training, but he's not immediately contributing to society.

>> No.778570
File: 138 KB, 818x510, xXx_J0b-H0pp3r_xXx #sweg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>776883
There's a disgusting amount of programming guides online because it's the hip new thing. Make Elsa walk in a square using drag-drop For loops, etc.
Programming isn't hard or cool, and it can be learned in a weekend. What's more significant is what career you're pursuing with these programming skills.

In my opinion the easiest to get into is front-end web development. Some decent companies hire junior developers with little/no experience if they demonstrate aptitude with the basic languages. Do that for a couple years making like $18/hr then get a real web development job.
If that sounds passable then the place to start is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB0WvcxTbCA , and if you're still interested then his channel has playlists that are better than most other people's.

>> No.778585

>>778215
>Learn python, struggle through C

Just be very careful. Python will spoil you massively, and trying to learn C after being spoiled into bad habits will mindfuck you.

>why can't I use this int as a string?

>> No.778753

>>776887
Probably chris-Chan posting again