[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 39 KB, 500x442, 1407902326397.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
761205 No.761205 [Reply] [Original]

How do taxes work when it comes to online work?

Say for instance you do freelance work for a company based in the US, while you live in the other country. Do you owe income taxes to the US? Your home country? Anyone at all? Is this considered working inside a country you don't have a work visa for?

I'm curious about the viability of traveling around while maintaining an online income source, and whether taxes would become a big problem.

>> No.761220

Normally (and this can be different) you would only pay income tax in the country your a resident in. Note, residency for taxation will be determined separately from visa status (i.e. it would be possible to be working illegally on a tourist visa, but still owe income tax).

Not American, but I believe the US is one of the few countries to tax income regardless of residency status - which is why you hear of peeps giving up US citizenship for taxation purposes)

>> No.761248

>>761220
Is it illegal to work for a US company as a US citizen, paying US taxes, outside the US with a non-working Visa?

Or is that income pretty much of no concern to the other country? (As though you had simply earned it at home and brought it to spend while staying there.)