[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 83 KB, 1573x884, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
757068 No.757068 [Reply] [Original]

What job sectors are going to be in demand by 2018?
I'm just about to enter my senior year in high school, and while looking at the bleak potential job opportunities for non colllege and college grads alike, most of my friends are content going to university for no fucking reason other than get laid, with no fucking idea to take other than just getting into university for any course that they can scrap by getting into. Total definition of sucker and retarded in my opinion.

I don't care about the social experience, so much however i know connections are important. I don't want to be 45k in debt, only to get a shitty menial job just about minimum wage, not even related to my field which i feel is going to happy to many people not knowing what job they want..

I need some advice,just want to get out of highschool and work my ass off and live decently.

Sure some of you have done this right out of college, or done some cert/cheap course to get an in into a decent private sector job. My friend has worked summers at an oil rig, and says hes getting a job there after his 2 yr college program for underwater welding in the private sector. Seems legit.

>> No.757069

>>757068

"not even related to my field which i feel is going to *happen*" OP here minor correction

>> No.757072

LMAO STEM BRO
100K STARTING CUZ

>> No.757078

Yeah whats the next "oil rig" type job (stupid money/no skill)?

>> No.757100

As always - IB, Law and Medicine will be the highest paid industries

>> No.757103

healthcare, engineering, and one other thing I forget.
Focus in college, apply for scholarships, do internships and the loans won't really matter.

>> No.757110
File: 26 KB, 367x500, 847169841228430465.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>im a stem major

>> No.757115

Women are making more money now, and they will soon control the business world with or without affirmative action/title 9, so understanding them will be valuable to companies - a women' studies degree, possible even a master's in it, will set you up for a strong and stable long term career, you'll surely get a good ROI on your college education. Also understanding their main spending category, shopping, with a fashion retail studies degree will give you an edge on the competition and a recession-proof career path. As the black and hispanic populations rise, there will surely be a large increase in domestic violence/abuse - so a social work degree is basically what computer science was a few years ago. Finance, any sort of business major, and even engineering are becoming over saturated and the value of the degree is decreasing as the competition in academia increases, and the high starting salaries are just a bubble right now - there are only so many jobs in those fields because human innovation and start-ups are reaching a historic low.

>> No.757120

I suspect programming will always be in high demand, at least until the robot apocalypse.

>> No.757125
File: 1.08 MB, 333x187, IMG_0699.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>757115
>they will soon control the business world with or without affirmative action
Wtf am i reading?

>>757120
According to pol/biz its saturated by curries already

>> No.757151
File: 35 KB, 650x469, morsa3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>757110
This is some kinda trap I just know it...

>> No.757155

>>757115
surely this

>> No.757158

i just finished my first year

I'm doing Mathematics (Actuarial Science) at uWaterloo

23% job outlook in USA, (highest out of any other job)

top 3 job in the world, usually 1 or 2

extremely good salary (google it)

very easy to move up

need good math marks to get into the program

very worth it so far for me

already landed a job with BMW, in my first year...

its contingent on my graduation and other things but they've sent out a letter of intent to me, to hire me.

fucking mint, i am.

look into it OP.

you could also look into computer science, computer engineering, hardware type stuff

architecture will be booming

also environmental studies will be good as fuck especially in the for profit corporations, and most of all in the energy sector (sustainable energies)

gl, ask me any questions you have

>> No.757161

>>757068
>by 2018
so in like two and a half years? Wow those are some long term goals there m8

>> No.757162

>>757120
OP Here isnt programming generally restricted to university computer science.

>> No.757172

>>757078

Welding is already here. A two-year degree and a buddy of mine was making over $100k working in the Gulf. Right now he's back home and does "lightweight" work and still makes around $60k right now.

High demand, low supply, prices going sky high.

Also things like plumbing and electric. Everyone wants to be a "sociologist" now and people aren't doing these important jobs, so supply is down, demand is the same or more, so prices go up.

A business associate of mine is a plumber. He charges $80 an hour, $150 on the weekends/nights/odd hours, $200 on Sunday. Owns his own business and has plenty of time with his kid.

>> No.757189

>>757172
Yeah my mom was also talking to me about plumbing, it seems like it makes great money.

>> No.757203
File: 54 KB, 600x649, feels bad man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>757161
my god its nearly 2018 already

>> No.757204

>>757203
2010 was 35 years ago

>> No.757217

Medicine is always highest paying but you won't see your first dollar you put in years of hard work and debt.

Anything in computer science is a very smart choice considering the steady rise in demand and pay.

An easy undergrad decision is business which is pretty much a waste unless you concentrate on finance or accounting and move on to get your MBA or a higher certification after undergrad (CPA, CFA). Lots of options for driven business students who don't want to sink thousands in debt and 8 years of education.

If you stay in the mindset you seem to be in, you'll be more successful than the fuq boys

>> No.757228

>>757217
I learned from my brothers mistakes so to speak. Hes a ladies man and went to a shitty college taking a shitty wellness health general course. now hes 23 and no full time job and a shit degree.

>> No.757230

Healthcare Information Systems. You will always have a six-figure job. It's as stable as healthcare basically, and in the IT world you have a niche that 99.99999% of CS faggots won't be able to compete with. Double major in like biomedical engineering or something and forget it, you're basically creating cyborgs, AKA the new nigger that will do all of our labor for us.

>> No.757235

>>757204
damn bro

>> No.757244

>>757100
>Law

>> No.757271

Automation will replace everyone, but scientists and artists.

So, I suggest film school.

>> No.757294

>>757158
you will make good money as an actuary, but make no mistake it is boring as fuck and actuaries are some of dullest people you will ever meet

>> No.757296

>>757294
but that being said a lot of office jobs are boring as fuck

>> No.757304

>>757158
How did you landed that job?

>> No.757305

>>757158
> architecture will he booming

You have no idea wtf you are talking about.

Architecture is one of the most dead jobs in ontario right now. Only the best few make really good money.

>> No.757313

>>757068
If you got the patience and grades for it, any type of engineering will get you a solid job (except physics)

Chemical will make you the most bank but you'll probably be stuck living in the middle of nowhere for half the year.
Civil will get you a job more or less anywhere you want, because everything needs civil engineers but the pay is mediocre.
Health care also makes good money but it's not for everyone. Stressful as fuck unless you're dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Business is hit and miss cus it really depends on where you went to school in order to get the attention of employers.

>> No.757328

>>757068
>What job sectors are going to be in demand by 2018?
data and analytics, learn SQL

>> No.757337

A&E Nurses/Oncology Nurses/Chemotherapy Nurses/Trachy trained nurses/general nurses - 18-24k 1st year, join an agency with 1 years experience £50-130k year 2 (UK) not sure about rest of the world.

>> No.757448

>>757217
>Medicine is always highest paying
only in USA though.

>> No.757541

>>757448
I was referring to the US, no idea if it's the same for other countries, especially with more socialized healthcare. Where's OP from?