[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 143 KB, 480x728, 1431674437717.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
754817 No.754817 [Reply] [Original]

>Be me
>Student
>19
>Pretty unsure about life
>Studying psychology, but have plans to apply to med school to become a psychiatrist or get into a PhD program for I/O or neuropsychology
>Still pretty unsure about things in life despite having an academic path to follow
>Rich parents so no debt

I've been toying with the idea of opening up a small business after I'm done my bachelors degree in case things don't work out the way I want them to. Let's all get together and talk about interesting small business ideas.

Also general advice for me will be appreciated because I'm having a baby's first existential crisis.

Thanks /biz/

>> No.754836

>>754817
>Psychology

Might as well just go into anatomy, biology, or another real science discipline if you truly plan on medschool. The "study of the mind" is no longer a thing. It is more study of the brain now. That being how the brain works. Neuroscience nigga.

Second, read what you wrote. Open a small business after you get a bachelors... in psychology. That is fucking retarded. Just open the small business now then you'll get the same result. Your psychology bachelors will get you at most managing a grocery store otherwise. If you want to do a small business, which is hard as hell to do, you might want to study applied economics, or finance. You might have a better chance then and be left with a more useful degree if things go wrong.

Sigh

>> No.754837

>>754836

Honestly, I'm getting a degree just to have one. Parents are immigrants and insist on a college education. If I were drop out now to open a small business my dad would probably bury me in the backyard. That being said, I like what I'm learning in psychology. Although my major is psychology I have taken a lot of STEM classes like chem/bio/anatomy and I enjoy it. I have most of the med school pre requisite requirements fulfilled already.

>> No.754840

>>754837
Well sounds like you've made up your mind. Study what you like but be sure to fill all the requirements. I got a friend going to Med school with a philosophy degree. He just met the requirements because his degree had like 30 credit hours of electives or something.

>> No.754842

>>754840

Yeah, I have my fingers crossed. The food thing is that I live in Canada and some of the med schools here don't even require certain courses like chem or the MCAT but require a high GPA, etc. We'll see. Hoping for the best.

>> No.754844

>>754842

good*

>> No.755345

bump

>> No.755362

>>754817
Why would I share my small business ideas with an unknown number of people, of which, a few having the means to execute my them?

I mean, I'd share if they weren't feasible ideas... but they're things I'd actually like to do.

Here is one that won't work, you guys can have fun with it.

Selling retrofited hybrid conversion systems.
>buzzwords
It's an electric motor that would attach to the rear wheels of a car, supplementing the power of the combustion engine, while also being capable of running without the combustion engine.

>> No.755370

>>755362

Were not interested in your brand new innovative, hipster ideas that are doomed to fail. I'm talking about generic businesses such as restaurants, cafes, shoe stores, laundromats, etc. Tips on making them successful and having a large returning customer base.

>> No.755817

>>754817
Don't drop out. Become a psychoanalyst and start a private practice in a rich neighborhood.

You can easily charge $150 for 45min sessions, and assuming work 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, you're talking 300k a year.

>> No.755820

>>755370
Inc. Magazine online has many articles on this subject. Search for "angel investing". The articles are older but are still very useful.

>> No.756210

>>754837

you're gonna endure med school "just to have a degree"?

>> No.756339

>>755817

Not a bad idea.

>>756210

No. I'm going to endure my undergrad just to have a degree. If I get into medical school that'd be great because then I'd be working towards being a psychiatrist.

>> No.756343

>>755820

I'll look into it, thanks

>> No.756344 [DELETED] 
File: 26 KB, 337x314, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo. Lo

>> No.756346

>>756344

Oh no! A US Navy Seal!