[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 150 KB, 880x1048, original-dream-become-a-great-programmer-time-2012-10-09-21-55-01-userid-187.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
740572 No.740572 [Reply] [Original]

Everyone and his dog are now coding and getting into the IT industry. Tell me why this is not going to end up bad for everyone involved.

>> No.740590

>>740572
Because, statistically, most people don't have high enough IQs to solve difficult computer science problems.

Anyone can be a script kiddie. Not many can design massive applications and come up with complex algorithms for business problems.

So go ahead and put JavaScript on your resume. If you're not an amazingly efficient problem solver, you aren't getting hired at my company.

>> No.740596

>>740590
even simple CRUD stuff is too much for 80% of the population

>> No.740601

How do I work on programming in my spare time? I did some java and python but without any projects to work on (my current position isn't coding-based) I'm not sure how to apply it.

>> No.740607

>>740601
Automate stuff you do at work, or identify little projects you can do that let you have a much bigger impact.
I'm a developer and I'd love to be doing a skilled non-coding job because I'd be surrounded by real problems that a developer hadn't looked at before.
Maybe you can improve your performance at work and get bonuses. Maybe you solve a general problem for your sector and sell the tool to a hundred companies. Or maybe you just have fun coding on something you care about.

>> No.740608

>>740590
/thread.
And if you have any people skills on top of good coding ability, you're in very good shape.

>> No.740614

>>740572
>>740590
>>740596
You're all idiots.

Soon kids will be taught to code like they are taught to read and write.

>> No.740634

>>740614

explain to me why high school graduates fucking suck at typing in english then.

>> No.740636

>>740614
Writing code is easy.

Writing code that is as efficient as possible within massive programs is not.

There's a difference between writing simple algorithms to solve high school/college projects and reducing the Big O runtime of complex search and advertising algorithms while also increasing the accuracy of the results.

>> No.740637

Please /biz/! Just tell me a profession that isn't so clouded by uncertainty! I just started coding Java and I'm hoping to go to school for computer shit soon, but now you're scaring me

>> No.740644

>>740637
prostitution
funeral services
production of weapons

Pretty much solid certain professions.

>> No.740645

>>740614
>Soon kids will be taught to code like they are taught to read and write.

So what? In many European countries kids are taught another Language as part of the curriculum.

Many people "know" something like German or Spanish, but all they have to do is "study" it for a while and get a sufficient mark and pass.

In terms of actually be able to communicate in German or Spanish or people to understand through their thick accent it doesn't matter.

>> No.740648

>>740644
I have an offer to be trained to be the guy who prepares the bodies for funerals, but I'd be stuck in wisconsin forever.

>> No.740656

>>740614
Yeah, but most retards graduating high-school can't write a half-decent essay.
You think something as logic based as coding will stick with them?
>>740637
Don't be so nervous anon.
If you work hard, build a resume, and make connection, you'll be in good shape.
Keep in mind, most kids ONLY get the degree and expect a job to fall into their lap.
If some people with liberal arts degrees can make it, you have nothing to be worry about so long as you work hard and make the connections.

>> No.740660

>>740656
> You think something as logic based as coding will stick with them?

It'll stick with them as much as basic trigonometry.

> Waah I'm never gonna be a code monkey I'm not gonna do this.
> Fast forward to senior year of college
> Waaah I wish I learned coding that's where all the jobs are. Stupid boomers need to retire so I can find work.

>> No.740672

>>740660
>stick with them as much as basic trigonometry.
So, not at all? I'm sorry anon, but having graduated only a few years ago, with a younger brother still in high school, I have VERY little confidence in most kids.
They don't value education, and what it can do, and probably won't any moreso in the future.

>> No.741834

>>740614

That's like saying kids will be taught quantum mechanics like they are taught to read and write.

It may be true - but how many of them will understand it?

>> No.742093

>>740607
>Maybe you solve a general problem for your sector and sell the tool to a hundred companies

Hahaha
>sell code you wrote while working for a company
>implying they don't own that code
>implying any company who hires code monkies doesn't have this clause in place

>> No.742095

>>740648
Morticians actually make good money and the job is much lower stress than jobs in the medical field (you can never really kill a corpse). The downside is that you have to see people you know around the community dead.

A buddy of mine is a mortician. He's one of the funniest and most chill people I've ever met.

You also need to go to school for mortician studies or w/e they call it, I don't think you can just shadow a guy.

>> No.742101

Former IBM'er here. Current Sr Business Intelligence Analyst for a major telecom here.

We (America) are severely lacking in IT talent in this nation. It's so bad that we (American businesses) have to spend billions of dollars facilitating H1N1 and other visas for non-citizens. We (businesses) compete ruthlessly for talent on campuses, and some businesses even work with international talent scouts.

I receive dozens, dozens, of emails and messages every month from LinkedIn and Indeed, with organizations trying to poach me. The signing bonuses are tempting but I like where I'm at and bouncing around too much kills your marketability.

To put it simply, we've needed "everyone and his dog" for a decade now.

It's good work, it's fun, it's lucrative. Do it.

>> No.742109

>>740572
I taught my cat IT how prepared am I

>> No.742157

Because it's always going to be expanding no matter what? Technology doesn't just magically stop, it evolves. Hell, at this point it's the only sign of evolution humans have made.

>> No.742183

>>741834
I took coding classes in elementary and jr high in the fucking 80s-90s. Anyone who's written a fucking World of Warcraft macro has coded something. Its never been about teaching a comprehensive lexicon of a programming language's functions, its familiarity with typing instructions in to a computer to solve a unique problem or achieve a specific result. All this talk of people learning to code isn't about loads of people trying to get in to IT. Its about basic job functionality without being stuck with your thumb up your ass because you don't know shit about reading basic system errors or your IT department having no understanding of what your work process is.

>> No.742191

>>742095
>The downside is that you have to see people you know around the community dead.
>see people you know around the community dead
>downside

>> No.742223

>>742093
>signing a contract which entitles your employer to projects you've made in your free time
I would understand one that says "Any code you write while you're at work or using our equipment is ours. But I'm fucking amazed anyone is a faggy enough beta to accept a contract that says "We own everything you make while you're employed by us"

>> No.742230

>>740672
...That's what he was saying, why are you sorry?

>>742191
My nigga

>>742223
If you're 20 something and want a job, you need to accept those contracts. The top 5% don't since they can do their own shit, but the other 95% (who still graduated) are SOL. Luckily, there's such a thing as aliases.

>Source: Software Engineer who signed one of those contracts for 70k, write apps and do server work on the side under a fake name.

>> No.742261

>>742095

I remember reading an essay on morticians in America and it was really interesting. I have romantic notions of moonlighting as a grave digger so it appealed to me.

Didn't realise open coffin funerals were so common there, it seem bizarre to me as a britbong to have people wanting to see the corpse, I've never heard of it being done here.

>> No.742269

I'm already a good software engineer, so by the time these kids get into industry, I will be in management with many more years of experience than them.

>> No.742277

>>740572
no, it is still in high demand and in the future IT skills will couple well with other skills and professions

>> No.742288

>>740572

Theres a <significant> demand for highly skilled programmers as more and more of the boomers retire

There is average to below-average demand for entry level programmers

>> No.742299

In the UK, IBM hires graduates from almost any degree in to programming roles. Other companies who take ANY STEM majors in to IT/ programming roles: all investment banks, BT, many others.

This push for "omg more programmers" is so laughable. There are shitloads of graduates in CS related majors in the USA. That place is the capital of university grads ffs. AND you have Indians who work on those HB1 visas. It's nothing but big companies wanting to increase supply so they can lower wages. Add in some women in tech stuff for good PR and they're happy.

biz needs to stop this outdated and immature belief that a student learns skill X and then he performs skill X in job Y at company A, while companies B-H also want him to perform skill X in job Y while working for them. Not at all. The reality is that most jobs are bullshitty and can be performed by anyone with a short amount of training. I'm an engineering major and engineers get chartered status after working for a few years. Very few companies offer training to physics grads for engineering roles. Despite this, I have no delusions: engineering jobs can be done by many other types of stem grads, all after a bit of training.

The perception I get is that IT / software guys are treated like bitches in many non IT companies. I'm not sure how widespread this is, but its fairly obvious that a CS grad who goes in to e.g. investment banking division will make more than the grad in the technology division, despite the fact that one of those roles develops technical skills and the other can be done by a monkey.

Also when they say they want a guy with skill, it may not always be something learned at uni. Maybe they want someone with experience of some technology like eclipse, oracle (I have no idea). How long would it take a smart CS / maths grad to learn that? A few months on the job? Companies don't care, they just throw a hissy fit and cram more people in to the employee supply line.

>> No.742328

>>742299
>I'm an engineering major and engineers get chartered status after working for a few years.
What do you mean by "chartered status"?

>> No.742362

>>742223
Almost all people under 25 have absolutely zero leverage when it comes to these sorts of agreements. Most tech companies flat out don't negotiate with new hires.

>> No.742409

>IT is only programming

Why the fuck does /biz/ think this. What about desktop support or network engineering. You may need simple stuff like scripting vbs but that's about it. Nobody is getting taught what the differences between BOOTMGR and NTLDR are.

>> No.742422

>>740572
>Tell me why this is not going to end up bad for everyone involved.
Er, why would it?
Shitty coders literally create demand for programming, just like shitty doctors create demand for medical care

People need to relax

>> No.742436

>>740614
kek. that just means those kids will be more valuable than the rest of the retards who know nothing about programming

I'm so tired of this meme.

>Everyone is programming now!! Looks like you're fucked XD

>implying some indian script kiddie is comparable to a CS grad from a good school

>> No.742441
File: 555 KB, 4000x4000, lauri lokki.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>740572
well programming will get you an actual job, unlike most of the bullshit people read at unis.

most people majorin in business etc. bullshit end up way worse jobs than what programming can offer you. most people dont like / are not capable of programming, that is probably one of the reasons. it's an actual skill employers are willing to pay.

>> No.742449

>>742409
>What about desktop support or network engineering
These jobs are shit and pay accordingly.

>NTLDR
Ok grandpa.

>> No.742486

>>742101
>lacking in IT talent
Keywords there. Companies have become far too accustomed to a certain level of talent. They should think about lowering the bar if they want more workers.

>> No.742504

>>740572

IT/DBA/Web Design/Code Monkeying requires as much skill as being a Janitor. You're a fool if that's the only skill you have.

>>740590
>most people don't have high enough IQs to solve difficult computer science problems

No, the only people that struggle with computer science problems are computer science majors themselves. CS theory is the easiest subject in STEM. You have to have nonexistent reasoning skills to not be able to pass advanced CS course with perfect marks at Stanford/MIT/Berkeley/etc.

>> No.742509

>>742362
Kek, I'd walk out of an interview if they said that. I'm disgusted anyone could be that fucking feeble and be okay with it.

>> No.742653

>>742449
>Thinks Network Engineering is shit
Probably also thinks Project Management is shit.

>> No.742663

>>742653
Most project managers are glorified secretaries who failed out of CS, so yeah, I can't say I have a lot of respect for them.

>> No.742798

>>742509
>>trolling on the internet

>> No.742822

>>742663
What about Project Managers who passed CS on BSc and MSc level?
(like most did)

>> No.743069

>>742663
I'm pretty sure any good schools Masters in IT project management requires knowledge of network systems and some software engineering. You can't say programming is completely elite to other IT fields since most CS grads fucking suck at programming

>> No.743085

>>742822
I think you're getting Project Managers and actual managers/bosses/directors/etc. confused. PMs coordinate meetings and a project's schedule but it's not actually a management position (there is nobody under them). And no, most of them just have certifications, maybe a BSc.

>>743069
If only.

>> No.743087

>>742509
Me too, that's ridiculous. I wouldn't take a job that wanted to own my side projects; that's how I intend to make big money. The whole point of working at a software company instead of starting my own is to have room to breath while I develop different ideas.

>> No.743088

>>743085
Doesn't the project manager certificate require something like 5,000 hours of working under a certified project manager?

>> No.743093

>>743088
There are multiple common certs (they seem to fade in and out of popularity), none that I know of require that. The ones I know that have a work requirement demand an associates or higher, plus a small amount of training. (mostly filling out buzzword multiple-choice tests, nothing real substantial)

>> No.743098

>>743093
Found it:

http://www.pmi.org/certification/project-management-professional-pmp.aspx

>> No.743119

reminder that fewer people go into the environmental sciences field, referring to env compliance, monitoring, and sampling. it seems like most env sci majors try going into le alt energy field, but grunts in the field are rare.

>tfw no h1bs
>not as diverse as engineering
>not nearly as difficult
>certs are easy to get, help you out a shitload in /jobhunt/, and relatively few people have them BEFORE joining a company

>> No.743149
File: 125 KB, 800x534, 1429884055357.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>742663
Project managers are 6 figs. Of course you need a minimum of a masters and 10 years in the trenches to get into that field. Good luck, there's also raging nepotism and cronyism in those employment circles.

>> No.743354

>>740572
>Coding
>IT

Stop that.

>> No.743363

How would I even get started in the field? I know nothing but I want to learn, any suggestions

>> No.743371

>>743363
Try the Python courses on codecademy

>> No.743423

>not getting into Information Systems

Imagine I've posted a very smug pepe

>> No.743425

>>742101
This right here, most people applying for these kinds of jobs can't pass a basic programming test like FizzBuzz which should take someone at the most a few minutes to write down. It's sad, and to make it worse most people who can program have difficulties socializing and thinking outside of scripting.

http://blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant-programmers-program/

>>742486
> Lowering the bar
No see that's the wrong way around it, what businesses expect is someone who practices system DESIGN (UML, Architecture patterns etc) and implementation (coding) on a similar basis to writing English, playing music or working out. If you practice an hour a week you're ahead of most graduates. If you can write English fluently you're even better. Holy shit you can write another language, are attractive, tall, a woman or can follow a game of soccer or football? Holy shit you're winning.

That ball isn't set high it's just that the idiots are too stupid and the intelligent people are too full of anxiety to get their shit out there.

>> No.743447

>>742798
What part of that post was trolling?

>> No.743449

>>743425
>thinking outside of scripting.
At what point does it transition from scripting to programming?

>> No.743450

>>743449
At what point does a sentence transition into a novel?

>> No.743451

>>740614
What a fucking moron hahaha, kids can barely read OR write at the moment, should they ever bother doing either.

>> No.743454

>>743450
At what point does space shuttle transition into space?

>> No.743455

>>742486
My company lowers the bar for some positions. But the problem with hiring entry level is an entry level developers consumes the time of senior developers to a degree that the healthy ratio is somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 sr developers to 1 jr.

Companies of course end up hiring a lot more jr developers than is optimal because they are desperate for cheap talent. The result is massive amounts of technical debt that may never be paid off because once that entry level guy gets a year or so of experience, he will get poached by another company - unless you paid him more than he was worth in the first place.

>> No.743460

>>743454
Once it leaves the atmosphere

>> No.743473
File: 30 KB, 400x268, surprised-asian-man-8379210.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743460

>> No.743488

>>742101
That nice because I heard jack shit from you guys in the university campus, job fairs, and in your website. Tell me, where the fuck are these opening?

>> No.743490

>>743093
Yeah the PMP requires you to actually be half a master at PM. There are bullshit ones though I give you that. But do you believe all CS grads in the USA are good programmers. Even 30% of all grads?

>> No.743495

>>743425
>Like me, the author is having trouble with the fact that 199 out of 200 applicants for every programming job can't write code at all
>The majority of comp sci graduates can't write a FizzBuzz program

Fuck me I took a few intro programming classes for my degree (Network Security) like 7 years ago and I could still do that if I had to.

Too many people graduating with CS degrees by copy and pasting from Stack Exchange.

>> No.743932

>>742101

Bullshit

I used to work in IT before I was smart enough to get out while I could. There is no lack of IT talent in the US in fact there's a huge surplus that there literally are not enough jobs to go around. The reason why H1N1 is commonly used by companies is because foreign workers are cheaper than domestic talent, that's it plain and simple.

>> No.743988 [DELETED] 

you can learn to do pretty much anything for FREE on the internet, 90% of the time there is a solution/tutorial, anyone can do it if they spend a few hours a day. All the tools are free as well. This is how it is for Programming and 3d modeling , pretty much anything IT related. So any 3rd worlder with an internet connection will be learning to obtain these skills because there are no costs involved other than having an internet connection. It seems appealing to because the images they feed you of programmer is scientist working in the lab getting payed large sums of money, its nothing like that

so you are pitted against 3 billion people, and employers will hire those from 3rd world countries because they don't need as much money to live through a day.

Stay away from IT kids if you don't want to lose your sanity

>> No.743991

you can learn to do anything it related for FREE on the internet, 90% of the time there is a solution/tutorial, anyone can do it if they spend a few hours a day. All the tools are free as well. This is how it is for Programming and 3d modeling , pretty much anything IT related as well. So any 3rd worlder with an internet connection will be learning to obtain these skills because there are no costs involved other than having an internet connection. It seems appealing too because the images they feed you of a programmer is a wealthy looking hipster getting payed large sums of money.

The reality is you are pitted against a billion people with the same skills all around the world, of course because everyone learned it all off the internet, and employers will hire those from 3rd world countries because they don't need as much money to live through a day.

Stay away from IT kids if you don't want to lose your sanity

>> No.743994
File: 87 KB, 285x285, 1396951747627.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

going to job interview tomorrow. Position - loan advisor, i must be smiled and really well spoken. Unfortunetlly im autistic, neet faggot, so it could be really difficult for me, also i dont have clue about banking. Any advices?

>> No.744006

>>743119
>working with or for the government

>> No.744008
File: 13 KB, 320x299, _-Nintendos-Reggie-Talks-PS3-Xbox-360-Nintendo-Life-to-Date-Sales-_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743932
>H1N1

>> No.744656

This thread inspired me to dust off my codecademy account and try to get motivated to start coding.
Thanks /biz/

>> No.744676

>>743994
Hopefully present yourself with any shred of confidence. Do the exact opposite of your post, actually.

>> No.744699
File: 31 KB, 300x400, penn_jillette.png.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743490
I have never met anyone with a PMP who didn't deserve to die. I'm not jealous, I make more money than some of the "PiMPs" at my company. They are just shit-tier fake humans.

>mfw he lists a PMP on his resume

>> No.744701

people trying to learn javascript or other boring ass languages will be fucked, companies just outsource all those jobs to india

people learning SQL/databases and analytics/business intelligence are going to be richer than jesus in a few years, because there's literally a massive shortage of talent right now and it's only getting worse

>> No.744722

>>740634
Past elementary school, english classes moved to holistic learning to teach proper grammar. "Holistic learning" means that they learn through reading books and short stories

The problem is that half the students stop reading past elementary school

>> No.744753

>>740614
Come back to me in 10 years when common core is fully implemented and the average high school grad can't get past geometry because they don't understand the concepts because the right answer consists of whatever the fuck people agree it to be.

>> No.745125
File: 30 KB, 344x291, yeah-nah.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>744701
>there's literally a massive shortage of talent right now and it's only getting worse

>2004
>get into finance anon! you'll be rich!
>market is totally saturated

>20012
>go be an engineer anon! you'll be rich!
>market is totally saturated

>2015
>get into analytics anon! you'll be rich!
>market gets totally saturated

>> No.745236

>>740614
By this logic everyone would become a journalist or book author.

>> No.745246

>>745125
You haven't read what the other guy said, dummy.
He's talking about TALENT. The top 1-3% of any profession. If you're looking for a profession which will have nearly guaranteed hiring for both the talented people and the retards - its medicine. Case in point - doctors vs nurse aides who wipe butts all day.

>> No.745249

>>742269
Make sure to fry those little monkeys :^)

>> No.745254

>>742798
>using maymay arrows

>> No.745981

tl,dr of the entire thread?

>> No.746033

>>745981
itt: Don't talk about IT on /biz/.

>> No.746048

>>745981
Get a job and experience before market is completely saturated?

>> No.746567

>>745125
>2015
>get into analytics anon! you'll be rich!
>market gets totally saturated

you say that like I'm shit posting, but I'm right. the market will take years to saturate from where it is now, maybe even decades. This is the $0.50 bitcoin phase for analytics and data scientists, right now. I'm already in the industry and work at one of the largest banks in the US, and it literally gets better for me every single day.

>> No.746866

>>746033
>>746048
good, I guess

>> No.746906

>>746567
Sage words; I'm following a similar path.

>> No.746907
File: 27 KB, 300x399, 1422313920904.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw I am a professional in DOS batch and Qbasic programming
>mfw I make over $900,000k a year

>> No.748303

>>744701
>people learning SQL/databases and analytics/business intelligence are going to be richer than jesus in a few years, because there's literally a massive shortage of talent right now and it's only getting worse
what do I need to study to do this. pls help.

>> No.748800

>>742328
>What do you mean by "chartered status"?
Not him, but I'm assuming he's referring to P.Eng.

>> No.748803

>>742504
>No, the only people that struggle with computer science problems are computer science majors themselves. CS theory is the easiest subject in STEM. You have to have nonexistent reasoning skills to not be able to pass advanced CS course with perfect marks at Stanford/MIT/Berkeley/etc.

No. That would be Medicine.

>> No.748933

>>748303
Software engineering with a minor in stats.

You're probably going to have to learn SQL on your own, but that will give you the basics to be able to pick it up.