[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 18 KB, 1600x600, webdev.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
722248 No.722248 [Reply] [Original]

Why aren't you a developer /biz/?

-No education requirement
-decent money
-decent work environment
-interesting work

>> No.722254

>>722248
I have actually looked into this

Where should you start with no training or experience? I just have IT experience

>> No.722288

>>722248
Bump for interest.

>> No.722294

>>722254
Learn HTML5 and JavaScript.
Learn about client-server applications.

Then practice building something.
Doesn't matter if it's stupid or unoriginal.

>> No.722302

>>722254
Codecademy.com
For the bare beginning when you have no idea how you should start

W3schools.com
For when you already know the possibilities of html and css and want to apply them to you own projects.

After you know the basics start some of your own projects like making a simple game or fictional webshop. It will take you some hours to develop something descend but practise pays off.

For good design inspiration take a look at some paid wix or wordpress templates.

>> No.722329

>>722248
So much raging cockcunts in here.

>Find clients
>ThemeForest.com
>Offer totally unique blablabla website/shop
>Sell for +$500

Got capital?

>Hire noobs, pay them 25% of what the clients pay
>Sit back and get 75%

Life's so damn easy selling WP sites to cuntcocks.

>> No.722348

>>722248
id like to become one (have IT background, but never actually learned web development), but i dont know how good i need to be to satisfy my customers. i also always question myself and the quality of my own work and think "why would anyone pay for this?" also, how do i make money off customers who would be best advised to rely on existing solutions, e.g. something like wordpress, drupal, etc.? another thing is, i dont know what general services you need to offer to your customers. like do you need to take care of the domain and the web hosting or is that up to your customers and you only deal with the development of their website? another thing: does it make sense to specialize in mobile websites / web applications?

>> No.722381

>>722329
Youd think that itd be saturated

>> No.722390

>>722248
being honest, ADHD predominately inattentive

norepinephrine is the drug that makes you wake up and either my norepinephrine receptors are genetically flawed or my locus coerulus doesn't release enough norepinephrine, my neurons almost fall asleep if I use them too long so my attention shifts to something else. From the perspective of an ordinary person it is pathetic, as though I have zero willpower, in my defense the brain is governed by the laws of physics, it is not governed entirely by strength of will and like a muscle it can tap out no matter how much willpower you have. Though I suppose I could do better if I had herculean willpower.

Also I'm trying to learn this stuff auto-didactically. Some of the advice here is good though and might help.

>>722294
>>722302

I'm going to make myself go to codecademy.com right now, though if I have to register or some bullshit I can't make any promises that I will stay there for long.

also I made a thread about this on 4-ch.net (neat new text board set up by squeeks)

http://4-ch.net/code/kareha.pl/1423352141

>> No.722398

>Not taking local web development gigs and then hiring indians to do the work

>> No.722399

>>722302
>W3schools.com
imo that site is mostly good as a reference for when you already know what you're trying to do, but can't recall the exact properties/arguments. If you're just trying to pick up ideas/tricks for what you can do with your projects, sites like css-tricks.com is probably a better bet.

Also, for front-end developers, this is a good site to help pick up some resources of how to keep up with current trends.
http://uptodate.frontendrescue.org/

>> No.722429

>>722390
Yeah you have to register and log in but good thing about that is that it keeps track of your progress so you'll learn things out of your immediate interests. It is free anyway so why not just link it to your spam mail or something.

>> No.722474

>>722329
>implying envato doesnt eat 90% of the cookie

>> No.722530

>>722429
yeah, I am being silly, I need to make a junk e-mail account for this kind of thing

>> No.722534

>>722248

>be me
>msc in media cs
>be web developer

>> No.722541

>be le me
>22 years old out of college
>making 115k in silicon valley

jelly?

>> No.722565

>>722541
>calling yourself "le me"
no

>> No.722582

>>722541
go back to 9gag

>> No.722696

>>722541
b8

>> No.722707

>>722248

> takes some time to learn
> super saturated
> you still have to find customers

I'd rather go comp sci then go this route.

>> No.722726
File: 24 KB, 400x325, 2363550-im_a_chinaman_spiderman_vre9ky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>722248
How do I develop web?

>> No.722730

>>722329

This is what people like to tell themselves.

Then they get to the point where they need to make changes to the theme they purchased or modify plugins etc.

That's when you come crawling to us, the people who took the time to actually learn PHP/Javascript and the people who can actually do custom theming in Wordpress with HTML and CSS etc.

The only thing you have to offer us (besides money) is clients, and we're just as liable to go and find our own clients, in fact it's more likely that's exactly what we're doing and how we've been getting by all along...

>> No.722775

>>722254
I know people hate leddit here but /r/webdev have a pretty decent FAQs.

http://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/wiki/faq

>> No.722782

>>722329
>implying I would waste time dealing with penny pinching small business owners.

Good for you that you made it work but it's not my cup of tea.

>> No.722791

>>722730
Is there actually any point of learning wordpress? I heard so many horrible stories about PHP.

Also why do people think web developer are limited to static web sites? Any good web developers worth their salt should learn how to make web application.

>> No.722805

>>722791

If you're okay having limited control over your website, wordpress + buying a premium theme could be worth it. It doesn't take long to learn how to click "install" on a webhost and then install a wordpress theme.

You can learn wordpress easily, but when you want to make your site truly unique or do things that aren't built into the theme you need PHP, HTML, CSS, and some other legit Web Dev skills.

>Any good web developers worth their salt should learn how to make web application.

True. So much can be stacked off an existing Wordpress installation though. However, one of the first and best lessons for a PHP programmer is to make their own content management system (like Wordpress) which is certainly a web application. But that's really just reinventing the wheel.

Once a developer has learned that much, and know how to do database operations as well as building a front-end (with PHP, JS, HTML, CSS etc.), they can make most web applications come to life.

I'm at the point where I know I can make anything but need the funds to do it. I need someone with money who wants a website/web app built to give me some work. Currently fishing for clients.

>> No.722810

>>722805
>You can learn wordpress easily

This is only half-true by the way. It's easy, but I would expect it to take some time for someone who is new to it. Even computer savvy people will need to take the time to learn how to create custom menus and use page templates etc. They won't be able to really "dive in" and develop their site beyond that until they learn the basics.

>> No.722812

>>722730
Haha no. Why would I hire you when there are half a billion Indians who can fo it for $4 an hour?

>> No.722816

>>722812
Know anyone who hired Indians and have good outcomes?

>> No.722822

>>722541
so like, the equivalent of 40k in NYC?

>> No.722826

>>722812
>Indians will do it for me!
>They'll do just as well!
>And they're CHEAPER!

All common misconceptions. In the end, everyone ends up coming back to U.S. developers like myself.

>> No.722884

>>722381
Not at all. Every day new business open, and they need a website. It's 2015.

>>722474
They eat some cookie, not mine. You calculate the price of a theme and perhaps some plug-ins into your price and flip it over to make your own profit.

>>722730
Dude, most (and with most I'm talking about 99%) of the developers of themes/plug-ins are god-like FREE (did you read that, FREE) support guys.

Have any issues with a theme or plugin? Ask away and it gets solved.

I've been doing this shit for years now and I'm able to hire my own coders so I don't have that issue any longer.

Anyone that can do sales and sells websites for < $500 a pop is 'doomed' to make at least $xx.xxx in his first year.

>> No.722886

>>722816
Don't even think about it. You're in for a shitload of trouble and destructive negative feedback from your clients.

>>722826
This

>> No.723167

>>722248
been there done that, making money with the web stopped being a thing a long time ago. Now you'll be working 50 times harder but still be making as much as part time burger flipper. Waste of effort unless you actually enjoy making a website...

>> No.723168

But i am /biz/.

>> No.723173

>>723167
What do you do now?

>> No.723174

Programmer for relatively large web company here.

>>723167
you are wrong

working for yourself is somewhat unrewarding, but working for The Man can be moderately lucrative.

>> No.723176

>>723168
here

I had an accident and no coverage because i am a dumb youngin and was homeless for 9 months. Just got back on my feet and am making 28k a year in a quite little town.

I am being taken advantage of i'm sure, but it's all i know how to do right now. My boss hired me straight off the street after i told him my background and we have a good working relationship.

I am doing some high level work for him, cutting edge stuff as far as software/web goes. I'm making Television applications for opera, amazon, STA for a television network (international, but small one).

I'm getting paid 15 dollars an hour and not really living as well as i'd like. My main problem is i have no bargaining chips, i've been with this company for 3 months. Any company i have ever worked for i get a raise within the first 2, that's just how it has always worked out (i work hard and am fairly good at what i do). But since this guy hired me straight off the street he knows i'm living paycheck to paycheck and am fucked without the job.

I spend about 2/3rds of my takehome on living expenses. What i do to get ahead /biz/.

>> No.723302

What makes you think you can compete with 3rd world people that can charge 20% of what you do?

>> No.723304

>>723302

They constantly fuck up, cause delays, and you end up paying them that 20% 2-3 times over because of the time they sink in. Plus whatever you lose because of delays.

The top tier Indian programmers are equivelent to the bottom-mid tier united states programmers if that.

>> No.723305

>>723302
Because they're shit.

>> No.723308

>>723304
expanding on this

That being said, if you have short term low-skill projects they are pretty perfect for that..

All the third world developers really do is pick up the US's scraps and make it harder on people just starting to break into the industry.

That's why you'll see a lot of people starting out in the US (that don't have formal education) doing their own pet projects, building their own portfolio, and interning or working for a very small wage.

>> No.723309
File: 131 KB, 637x627, 1383258323526.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Should I learn PHP or le ruby on rails?

I tried out rails but didn't really enjoy it, I started off learning C and then dabbling in C++, if that helps with recommendation in some way.

I realized that unless you're master in C/C++ you're unemployed pretty much, so I want to do some webdev stuff so I can earn shekels parallel to it.

Pic kind of related

>> No.723318

>>723309

You should be familiar with both, and choose to be expert in whatever language is most fun for you. Then if a project or employed position requires you to work in another specific language you adapt and study that one!

Simples.

>>723167
>making money with the web stopped being a thing a long time ago

So the internet really is a fad... wow. Thanks for the heads up! I've wasted so much time...

>> No.723320

>>723167
>Now you'll be working 50 times harder but still be making as much as part time burger flipper.

I can create websites that are exactly what my client need in a single day and be paid hundreds of dollars for it. I'm sure that's more than a burger flipper makes.

If I don't keep enough clients going then yes, a burger flipper would be making more in the long run. But I certainly don't work harder for my money than a burger flipper, I don't have to worker harder, I work smarter, and that's why I can earn more.

>> No.723329

>>723309
you should learn javascript

you should learn ember.js and node

ES6+ is going to make javascript a much better language

>> No.723332
File: 2.82 MB, 1348x1422, 1404108334101.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>723329
>you should learn javascript
>you should learn ember.js and node

There is like 6,000 webdev languages/frameworks though. What the fuck is up with that? It's all so confusing, how do I decide which is better out of them?

>Just start wrapping head around C/C++
>Decide to try out webdev because it's lucrative and in high demand
>Hehehehe thousands of frameworks and languages to choose from! And don't forget to learn le LAMP and WAMP!

>> No.723334

>>723320
>I can create websites that are exactly what my client need in a single day and be paid hundreds of dollars for it.

Please teach how ;-; I'm tired of being a poorfag

>> No.723336

>>723332

LAMP stack, javascript. Start a personal project/site and start getting freelance jobs immediately. You speak english well, you could get a few hundred dollar contract within the first few days on that alone. I recommend learning first but if you want to fake it till you make it you can do that too.

>> No.723340

>>723332
I just did your homework and told you the best framework. javascript is the lingua franca of programming and it's going to stay that way

do not waste your time with php. rails is much better than php and even it has stagnated hardcore

if you want to try something "new and innovative", try elixir or rustlang. I really don't think you should, though

you should just focus on becoming proficient with javascript. the nice thing about using ember and its command line app, ember-cli, is that you get to program in ES6 because it uses the babel transpiler

https://babeljs.io/docs/learn-es6/

best of luck, m8

>> No.723341

>>723336
Is javascript that good? I thought node.js was more of a meme framework.

I've mostly seen jobs for PHP developers and lots of youtube tutorials so i was considering learning that then going for Laravel framework.

>> No.723370

>>723332
AngularJS is getting popular too. Using it at my work

>> No.723395

Why am I not doing it? Cause it's boring af.

>> No.723415

Too many indians doing it for far less
Too many moms who know how to code, so i should do it for far less

>> No.723422

>>723415
Im a part-owner of a small web design business and you would be surprised how much work we get from failed outsourced projects.

We've had clients who spent thousands to outsource a "cheaper" web site only to realize it was a complete waste of money.
Had they initially gone through us they would have been better off in the long run.
Just by looking at the code of these sites you can usually tell it was a template ripped from somewhere else and slightly modified.

We also get clients who will tell us they were quoted much less by "some guy who once built a web site". In most cases it just doesn't work out.
If you want an online business you better be paying for quality or you may find yourself out of business.

>> No.723424

>>723415
Stop thinking Indians deliver work that's meeting Western standards.

Who the fuck wants websites/apps looking like goddamn curry? Cause that's all those brown fucks long for all day.

>>723422
Spot on, sir (Indian language kek).

>> No.723445

Dunno man, I built my own site for my business.

Few pages of content SEO'd out the arse facebook, twitter, g+ local listings. Contact form, embedded videos and shit.

Took me maybe 2 days and $50 and I know how everything works.

If I needed anything else I'd go with an Indian my friend uses for outsourcing that come highly recommended.

Now tell me why if want to pay any of you arrogant pubeless potheads any money at all?

>> No.723449

>>723445
>Now tell me why if want to pay
>if want

We proof read everything so mistakes like that don't make your company look incompetent.

>if want buy now click button

>> No.723456

>>723445
well, not everyone has these connections. some people also dont know how cheap they could get the work done. one of my friends thought it was a good idea to hire a student from his uni and he figured it would be cheaper than hiring a professional, but when he told me how much hes paying this guy my jaw dropped. hes getting ripped off, simply because he couldnt do it himself and he thought he was getting a good deal. i think there are still plenty of people willing to pay for this service and sometimes even more than it is worth.

>> No.723460

>>723449
I'm typing on a laggy phone.

>Muh spelling

Is that the only reason you could come up with? Do you need more time to think?

>> No.723519

>>723460
Probably better to not waste my time trying because you're happy to DIY or use your Indian friend.

Others might be happy to hire a team of professionals with 30+ years combined experience because they want results.

Your "2 days and $50" web site wouldn't even compare to something created by a dedicated team of talented designers and highly experienced developers.
Feel free to post a link to your site if you think it can.

One of our clients who runs an online store had a profit of $4M last year and is looking to smash those results this year.
They would not have had such success if they went down the DIY or "recommended Indian friend" path.

>> No.723534

>>723519
>being stuck in webdev for 30+ years
Holy shit. There is no excuse not to master webdev in 2 years.

It's the easiest job there is and you need no credentials others than a portfolio, which is much easier to compile than that of a "real" artist or "real" programmer.

I understand that there is demand for very professional teams for corporations, but otherwise it's a completely overpriced service.

Now, I didn't master the art of webdev and webdesign, but I did finance my degree with this hustle. And really... it is a hustle, not a real job.

>> No.723537

>>722248
Tried for a year. I suck at getting clients so I gave up. Also, the competition is super high.

>> No.723655

>>723534
>being stuck in webdev for 30+ years
Combined experience of the team. Learn 2 read.
I don't even think HTML was in public use until the early 90's.

>but otherwise it's a completely overpriced service.
I'm not talking about script kiddies who cut and paste a bunch of shit together to bang out web sites as a "hustle" or side project because they can flip a few bucks.
All the developers I have worked with in "real" web dev roles are talented and passionate developers who have acquired their skills over years of experience.

Just like most things in life, you usually get what you pay for.
Some people might prefer to pay a $50 meth whore for a blowjob while others might pay $500+ for a more attractive woman.

And yes, you are the $50 meth whore of the web industry.

>> No.723687

>>723655
And others go to sea and get qts all night and morning for 30 bucks
100 bucks gets you top of the line model body bitches ST

Something something webdev

>> No.723704

>>723687
>$30 != $100
Getting what you pay for (in a 3rd world economy).
Wasn't that the point I was trying to make ?

>> No.723726

Is it actually worth learning node.js?

>> No.723728

>>723726
could be, depending on where you live. i am currently writing/working in it.

>> No.723930

>>723704
What im saying is that hookers is a shit arugment because for 100 you can get model tier bitches in developing countries

Im just being pedantic though

>> No.724366
File: 58 KB, 645x773, 1385742320754.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Jesus Christ. TIL people don't value web developers. I'll never market myself as a web developer when looking for another job. I'm a programmer who happens to like writing web applications. It seems a lot of people here think high school kids or people from third world shitholes could do my job.

>> No.725616

Soon I will be richfag.

Le learning PHP and going to make some shitty website for some feggits and make big dosh

>> No.725722

>>723334
>Please teach how ;-; I'm tired of being a poorfag

You can so easily teach yourself! Maybe not easily though, it could take some time and dedication. A lot of it is tenacity, the most important thing is getting paying clients.

>>723445

You're not in our market, good for you. That doesn't change much for us though, and we can safely assume your website is shit because you're doing the special snowflake "I built this with my own two hands and it's just fine" routine that we're so familiar with.

>>723537
>Tried for a year. I suck at getting clients so I gave up. Also, the competition is super high.

All you need is some tenacity. Of the thousands of clients we swing at, we only get a hit on so many. But when you get a hit and you get a client who needs work, and the work is easy, and the client pays smoothly and right away, and you pick up your cash and hold it in your hand knowing you earned it honestly over the internet, your way. It's a great feeling.

Right now I'm juggling all kinds of clients and making some good money. Still looking for more too.

>> No.725733

>>723176
just work there for almost a year and then look for another job that uses your skills and don't be shy to ask for the average wage of a worker in that city with your skills

>> No.725739

>>723445
good job, can you put an html5 video on your website that works in most mobile browsers with good fallbacks if it doesn't? Does your website work well on all browsers with no bugs? Do you want to build new flashy features that are considered good for marketing? Do you want people to stay on your website for longer amounts of time?

Yeah, lick a dick you freak!

>> No.725756

>>724366
>could

They can and they are.

>> No.725867

>>722348
Muh clone
Same background, same doubts.

>> No.725877
File: 1.99 MB, 480x292, 1429178662491.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>723309
Python and Django, RoR and PHP are both horse shit languages. C and C++ are for windows based video games 90% of the time, occasionally there are some server-side processes or core operating system files that need to be handled by C / C++, but unless you want to re-write Linux for no reason or build Winderps Vydia... they are both kind of useless

>> No.725878

>>722541
115k in silicpm valley is the equivalent of 55k in "average' cost of living areas.

You fell for the Sam Francisco jew

>> No.725879

>>723340
JavaScript is a toy language for hipsters, client or server side.

>> No.725918

>>725879
how you can write server side on java script?

>> No.725970

I tried learning web development years ago. I can still create basic PHP forms and CSS sheets to this day.

It's just too hard to actually get GOOD at it, and the work isn't fun.

>> No.725974

>>722726
This shouldn't have made me kek

>> No.725985

>>725918
with nodejs you scrub

>> No.726011

>>725970
>php forms

>> No.726021

>>725970
the shit you learned is useless now. also i dont think its that hard to get good at it. you just need to invest as much time into learning it as you would if you were already working as a web developer.

>> No.726046

>>725878
>not just living in South San Francisco
>living in SOMA

>> No.726407

Ive been wanting to get my foot into this since I have no skillset, advice for getting the most basic of job? or is freelancing a better idea?

>> No.726412

>>725970

Take a look into Jade and Stylus. They're very simple scripting languages that compile into HTML and CSS respectively.

>> No.726428

>>725877

>le PHP is shit meme

And yet it still runs the internet...

>>723309
You have no choice but to learn PHP if you're going to be a webdev.

>>725879
>le epic le

etc.

>> No.726460

>>722248
Becuase I have no idea what a developer is

>> No.726513

>>722248
I do and am looking for the next solution.

As I approach bigger corporations' marketing leads and government bodies, a recurring (and obvious) need is they have to be able to adjust site content. Obviously any CMS under the sun can do this, but they also want the site not to suck.

I'm looking for a CMS that meets the bill. Here's where I'm at.
- Sitecore is feature- and structure-rich which is great for their IT department, but they only account for 5% of the content editors. The 95% get lost in the backend.
- CivicPlus is cookiecutter and they take all the meat off the bone in their contracts. Progressive content editors can't be innovative, but it dos the job for shit-tier, <40,000pop counties.
- Vision Internet is like a worse version of CivicPlus, but cheaper.
- Intechnic is superior to Sitecore but also with a techy backend and no community.

I just want a decent CMS interface that works with smart and dumb content editors. My team of developers, photographers, graphic designers etc will do the hard part, but ultimately the client wants their often retarded staff to be able to edit pages.

Please send help.

>> No.726521

>>722254

I'm 7 years into this career. I started by sort of tinkering with code. I then found a job as a dev that paid total crap 60 miles from where I lived that paid 50k/yr. They weren't going to get an experienced dev for that price but they got me. I did an ok job - my primary skills involved reading forums and using google at first, commuted 120 miles round trip daily for two years, and gained experience that got me my next job close to 100k. I'm now making about 135k and loving it.

So the short answer is, seek experience when starting out whether entry level or simply a desperate company. The money will come later.

>> No.726529

>>722707
Being a web developer is comp sci. The web is the most commonly used platform in the world and the front end language consumed by browsers is javascript. Back end is ... meh, whatever, a layer for delivering data.

Point is, it is very likely you will be working somewhere in the web stack for most of your career and with javascript becoming more powerful with every iteration, the future of being a developer in that language is very promising.

Ignore the neckbeards and their debate. They aren't making money as a developer or they'd know better.

>> No.726547

>>726513
You should talk to the guy who made this:
https://revenantblue.com/
If nothing else, he knows a lot about CMS and could help you make good choices.

>> No.726570

>>726547
Hey, hadn't seen that one. It's neat, still feels immature though. I'll keep an eye on it as it matures and talk to him, definitely. I'd like to see it succeed.

At the end of the day it's just their content editors are so beyond illiterate that they'd be confused by even Wordpress. I get questions like "How to draw a table", "how to put in a video", "how to make a slideshow" etc.
I can't have my developers wasting their time on petty shit.

It seems like CMSs with drag-drop html5 editors coddle them enough. They have a set of modules they can drag from their sidetray into the workspace and it snaps where they can be inserted, and then they follow the steps for its settings.
I'm exploring every LAMP-ish CMS and praying for a miracle

>> No.726581

>>726570
You should write to him - he took some time out to build that, then went and got a job a couple months back. I'm sure he'd love to talk about stuff outside his day job now :-)
Have you looked at Joomla? It's a pretty popular opensource CMS outside of your list... not that I know about this stuff...

>> No.726586

>>726581
I'll definitely write to him! (possibly you haha)
I've looked at Joomla briefly; I know a few of Harvard's sites run it very well. It's on my list to grind through and feature-check over the next week or so.
(for lurkers, a pretty decent shortcut for what I'm doing is checking out http://www.cmsmatrix.org )

>> No.726588

>>726586
Not me, just some guy I know through 4chan
CMS face a weird compromise between flexibility, ease of use, and task specificness. But it does feel to me like there is a big hole for a CMS like you are looking for. Maybe you should get your devs to write one and sell it?

>> No.726611

>>726588
That sounds like a nice thing. Or even just bundling it into an SaaS sort of thing, either way though.
I think it'd be nice if your friend did really well with his thing, and even nicer if it eventually fit the bill for a tool for my prospective clients.

Semi-unrelated, any ideas on where to get more affordable coding labor? I remember when I was transferring out of my community college, some job fair booth people shoved their cards down my throat when they heard I knew php. Do people really go for that? Is it worth offering gigs to local college kids, or am I better off trying/failing/retrying to get good roi from some randomly-picked overseas profile?

>> No.727065

Apologies for this question that is probably annoying

I'm an IT student who's learned SQL, and some PHP+HTML+CSS. What is there that I can learn to make some money, quickly as possible? Like, skills that can be learned in a few weeks and are valuable. I'd prefer to do freelancer or something

>> No.727074

I have some stupid ideas that I can't afford to pay someone to make. If you are happy to do interesting things for not much money we might have a deal?

>> No.727449

>>722248

>no education requirement

Well, you need to learn developing first, and presumably coding before that...which part requires no education?

It's like saying 'why not become a plumber? No education required!'

>> No.727555

>>727065
>>726407

My answer to you and most people here is that you have to scrap hard for your first handful of clients so you can use them as references, and dedicate some time to building a proper portfolio even if it's only a few sites, make sure they're good, because clients will always ask to see example work.

If you can scrap yourself a few clients off the net by old fashioned hustling it becomes easier with time. Half of this job is sales, the other half is actually creating what the client needs (and that's clearly the most technically challenging part). If you have the technical ability to make websites or possibly web-apps, you're 50% there towards having a viable career, the other 50% is being able to sell clients and keep enough projects coming in to stay afloat.

It can be difficult, you'll either be swamped or inundated with work, or starving for it. But being paid for your effort and talents, your combination of web dev skills and charisma and entrepreneurial spirit (gaining the clients trust) - getting the clients to actually pay you is such a sweet feeling. Some have deeper pockets than others, when you find the ones with deep pockets it's a real thril.

>> No.728766

>>722775
>reddit

>> No.728781

>>722248
You're a wage slave bitch if you don't own your own company.

>> No.730144

Yall fgts aint on shit.web dev aint bout this kiddie cms bullshit. Be a man and learn to mindlessly pound out boilerplate java data access code all day.

>> No.730159

I learned SQL and SAP in college.

What do I do with these?

>> No.730185
File: 21 KB, 391x400, programmer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>722248
>Web Developer
>interesting work
>decent money
>decent work environment

Top kek. Who would pay good money to a monkey that copies and pastes all day long or consider that interesting work?