[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 73 KB, 612x612, 1390765243777.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
715334 No.715334 [Reply] [Original]

Reddit CEO Ellen Pao's bold move to end gender discrimination — banning salary negotiations

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/reddit-ceo-ellen-pao-no-salary-negotiation-194418442.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

>> No.715336

How clever! Reddit found a way to prevent their employees from leveraging their experience and skills for more pay under the guises of "fighting gender discrimination".

>> No.715339

So is this Pao flipping the game board and saying I don't want to play this game anymore?

>> No.715345

>>715339

since men are better negotiators she's banning negotiations at reddit

>> No.715349

That bitch is so desperate now because she knows that Reddit will not allow her to become the CEO once her temporary contract expires

>> No.715355

>>715349
And her husband's hedge fund is now defunct.

They're both about to be jobless because of their crusades for social justice.

He shouldn't have gotten himself fired from bear stern for claiming racial discrimination. Maybe he'd still have a job instead of a failed hedge fund and possible civil fraud.

>> No.715362

>>715345
Gotta love that crabs-innabucket mentality.

>> No.715365

>>715355

He didn't get fired for suing them, that was his swan song to hopefully get some money out of them on his way out.

He got fired because he was fucking horrible at his job and a con artist too, and a really fucking horrible one at that. He owes millions in back taxes too.

>> No.715377
File: 7 KB, 176x176, imgres-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

time to watch reddit implode

>> No.715379

>>715365
I meant to write all of that out, but I'm at work.

The point I was trying to make is that he started his own hedge fund cause who the fuck wants to hire some nigger whose going to cry racism every time there's an issue in the work place? So he started his hedge fund, but he's not capable of running a hedge fund.

Same deal hhappen with his wife. Now they're both about to be jobless because of their SJW crusades.

>> No.715380

>>715345
Interestingly, controlling for other variables, there isn't a gender pay gap in software (for equivalent work).

Statistically, women in tech tend to be middle managers. Men in tech tend to be software engineers. Tech is one of the few fields where lead workers out earn middle managers.

However, I think this is a great move. There are lots of mechanisms other than negotiation for setting pay, like how you are rated by your manager and peers.
Some people don't negotiate much. Eventually, they decide to humour a recruiter and discover how under paid they are.
This happened to me - after a long while in a role and become pretty important to the company with 0 pay movement, I interviewed somewhere else and was offered triple money. When I went to resign my boss offered quadrupal. A software engineers salary does quadrupal from graduation to 5+ years experience, so this shouldn't have been surprising.
I felt betrayed and left that company. I know of a few others there who will make the same discovery.

>> No.715414
File: 75 KB, 251x251, 1Will.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>715380
It's your fault for playing the game so lazily. You can't expect someone who chases their goal full of ambition does their homework thoroughly and performs at the interview to get the same results as someone who doesn't bother. Same thing I told my friend when he started applying and didn't even bother negotiating because "I don't want them to think I'm needy and not hire me"... Sigh.

>> No.715422

>>715380
Sounds just like me. Just leaving my first job for way more money. Expecting my current employer to counter offer, but I'm going to turn that down.

>> No.715425

>>715334
Aaaaand watch their talent flee to, well, just about anywhere that offers them more. Sorry Bob, we can't counter offer because we don't negotiate salary! So long!

>> No.715431

>>715422
Never take the counter offer. Never, ever, period.

>> No.715438

>>715380
>This happened to me - after a long while in a role and become pretty important to the company with 0 pay movement, I interviewed somewhere else and was offered triple money. When I went to resign my boss offered quadrupal. A software engineers salary does quadrupal from graduation to 5+ years experience, so this shouldn't have been surprising.
>I felt betrayed and left that company. I know of a few others there who will make the same discovery.

This happens a lot. I guess it saves more money in the long term to fuck people over on pay until they get sick of it and find something better and deal with the costs of finding a replacement than to meaningfully evaluate what people do and reward them accordingly.

>> No.715447
File: 13 KB, 588x426, kyle1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw my ID

>> No.715459

>>offered triple money. When I went to resign my boss offered quadrupal.

Who would ever pay so much money to some software engineer your not a COE of the company he could hire someone from india and get the some job done that you did for close to nothing

>> No.715464

>>715459
that's not true. 1 good developer can get more work done than 5 crappy Indians

>> No.715477

>>715431
Why not?

>> No.715480

>>715431
I know that.

>> No.715491

>>715459
>he could hire someone from india and get the some job done that you did for close to nothing

You get what you pay for. When you entrust an Indian with an important project and your shit is vulnerable and you lose important data then get sued or Indians take off with your databases you will regret trying to cut corners.

>> No.715495

>>715464
I hire indians for some freelance work and pay them by the job, They 5 times cheaper than anyone from USA and the job gets done right. I would never hire someone from usa for programming jobs

Example
Hello anon I would like to have some simple script that encrypts the data into mysql and then decrypts the info when viewing on a website.

>>I can do that, should not be to difficult

How much you charge anon?

>>I charge $90 per hour

How long you think this will take ?

>> around 2-3 hours for this job

This should explain everything

>> No.715501

>>715495
How much do the Indians charge?
Because outside silicon valley, perm programmers only make about $30-50 an hour...

>> No.715510

>>715477
If someone has made you an offer, its pretty much guaranteed at that point. They've got everything in place to bring you in, they've got a plan for you for, your rate has been approved, and it takes a HUGE effort on their part to retract all that.

A counter offer, on the other hand, is a knee jerk reaction where your current employer can string you along and fuck with you and you end up stuck in this position that you were just about to get out of, and once their obligations to you are met, you are potentially on the chopping block.

You're basically relying on your employer, who couldn't be bothered to keep you from wandering in the first place, to immediately get all these approvals to get you everything you were countered that some other company spent weeks setting up.

Bottom line, very little can go wrong with a job offer, shit can easily hit the fan with a counter offer, and if that shit does hit the fan, you get the added bonus of kicking yourself because you didn't listen when someone told you "never take the counter offer".

>> No.715513

>>715495
For a small script sure it might work.

But when you outsource massive projects to Indians you can rest assured it will be bug-filled, no contain any understandable comments and security vulnerabilities will not be taken into account whatsoever.

>> No.715515

>>715501
I use elance website when hiring people for freelance jobs

They from $5 -$35 per hour

>>ou get what you pay for. When you entrust an Indian with an important project and your shit is vulnerable and you lose important data then get sued or Indians take off with your databases

You really think im that stupid to give someone access to the db ??

I work using piratepad with them, i only provide the code what they need and they edit it so it works. I do rest of it by myself

>> No.715518

>>715447
Goddamit kaaahl.

>> No.715527

>>715513
>For a small script sure it might work.
Yeah that's all I need basically, when I code and run into a problem that I'm not sure how to fix it then I hire them and works perfectly fine.

>> No.715533

>>715513
But that's the difference between an independent contractor and a suit thinking they can save money be exporting an entire division to some shit hole.

The independent contractor has an incentive to do good work, because they can individually earn return business.

Outsourcing fucks everyone over, although that IS kind of the point on reimbursable projects. The Contractor hires a bunch of dinguses in India and charges the Client for all the hours they spend, with a nice couple of bucks thrown on top for the Contractor's overhead. The Contractor then ends up in a Win-Win situation: either the Indians do the job right, and the contractor gets a reputation for getting shit done, or the Indians fuck up, and the Contractor makes a bunch of money by making the Indians spend more hours (and thus more overhead tacked on) to get it right.

>> No.715534

>>715533
Oh, and meanwhile, the suit gets a bonus for "cutting costs".

>> No.715536

>>715510
I see. Thanks.

>> No.715548

>>715533
Man feels so good i avoided pure CS.

My degree is still 50%+ CS, but the rest is engineering. A good combination in my opinion. Specialization in product engineering, something too obscure for most Indian robots.

That said even my job can be outsourced somewhere.

Good design is a Western thing, but there are good Western designers who undercharge, I'll never make CS or Engineering numbers this way. Meanwhile CS is being outsourced to India and engineering is not really suitable for contracting (which I want to do).

Only management and doctors cannot be outsourced to Indians.

>> No.715550

>>715533
Indeed I would not trust indians with some huge project that I have no control over with but for small jobs like a specific function that needs to be done they are perfectly reliable for a good price.

>> No.715601

>>715334
>CEO of Reddit
I don't think I can think of a more humiliating position title.

>> No.715656

>>715510
Great advice, thanks. I've never considered that.

>> No.715660

>>715601

Employee at reddit with a non-negotiable salary?

>> No.715667

>CEO
>Woman

lol

>> No.715669

>>715334

Ironically, she has both stated that women are inferior and is treating both sides equally.

Ironically, despite being the more social gender, women tend to not negotiate for fear of rocking the boat.

She needs to teach women to be more assertive not to weaken men so 'everyone's equal' lol.

>> No.715670

>>715656
Full disclosure, I recently took a counter offer. I had my reasons, but when you google "Should I accept a counter offer", its usually written from the perspective of "you wanted to leave, and you wanted to leave for a reason". I didn't really want to leave, so I thought that didn't apply to me.

And then shit hit the fan, shit that wasn't anybody's individual fault, but still a pain in the ass to deal with. (Its hopefully working itself out soon) And now I'm stuck trying to buck the statistic that people who accept a counter offer are gone in a year anyway, because fuck you I won't do what you tell me.

But you know, if anyone wanted the reason no one tells you about when they say not to accept counters, there you go.

>> No.716095

bump

>> No.716109

>>715601
"CEO" of 4chan (^:

>> No.716134

>>715334
>caring about reddit

>> No.716240

The ocean is scary

>> No.716247

>>716109
Ceo of troll Inc

>> No.716297

>>715495

That's script kiddie shit. Nothing about that is difficult.

Also

>2015
>Manually managing a MySQL DB for a webapp instead of using an MVC tool

You're 15 years behind.

I work with Indians at my job (tech consultant with CS degree). They are useless retards. They have no design ability, either for architecture or aesthetics. Also, you CANNOT TRUST THEM. Are you in medicine? Well then you have to worry about HIPPA. Sorry, no smelly Indians. Do any of your DB fields have a SSN. Yeah? No Indians.

Right now I'm on a project for Humana that went belly up because they hired Indians. I'm currently running through and fixing a "proof of concept" (top kek) that 30+shitskins made. It's garbage top to bottom (UI, design, functionality -- everything). I'm cheaper than 30 of those retards.

>> No.716299

>>715334
Reminder that equal pay for equal work actually works against gender equality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsIpQ7YguGE

>> No.716323

>>715670
Feels bad don't it?
Remember kids, by the time they make a counter offer they're already looking for a replacement.

>> No.716351

>>716297
>script kiddie
I agree with you on most of this, but a script kiddie is somebody who uses a script they downloaded, not someone who writes one.

>> No.716356

>>716351
Yes, yes that is the point.
If you ask somebody to make a "script that encrypts the data into mysql and then decrypts the info when viewing on a website." he will copypaste it.

>> No.716397

>>715379
>who the fuck wants to hire some nigger whose going to cry racism every time there's an issue in the work place?

This. I'm sick of blacks trying to blame every other race for their own incompetence and failures.

I am a minority small business owner, who has had 3 black workers that threatened me with discrimination lawsuits in my 13 years operating. And these were the most incompetent, laziest, sometimes no show, workers I've ever had.

I now hire all minorities except for blacks. These people just destroy their own lives and try to drag others down with them.

>> No.717274

>>716299
Except that argument does not apply if employers are also mandated that they hire a certain number of women as well.