[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 20 KB, 375x500, 1415422919011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
692923 No.692923 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /biz/,

Been about two weeks and I'm bored. Copypasta OP and Russian nesting doll sales archive:

Last thread. Also has link to the first thread. Without being too much of a narcissistic douche, they both have a ton of info on salesmanship and general sales. Worth a read:
https://archive.moe/biz/thread/671914/

On me: 23 year old timeshare salesman. College dropout. Averaging around $12k a month income selling timeshare.

Can post greentext stories about work, sales advice, help build pitches, give info on timeshare, or get called a faggot a bunch.

>> No.692930

>>692923
How are you investing your money? How much do you save?

>> No.692935

>>692930
IRA managed by a friend's firm. OTC's when I do invest. Personal brokerage account is dry right now, as I'm moving and would rather be as liquid as possible.

I save whatever I don't spend. IRA is maxed out already, so I'm just saving. After I move, I'll fuck around with some money in the pink sheets and actually put together a portfolio of long term holdings.

Tempted to go full nigger and buy a used Porsche, though.

>> No.693078

I'll bump. First day I'm actually pitch building for myself in a while. Had a few secret shoppers in our department. Two seniors were let go, and my team is covering its ass. Gotta make sure there's not an ounce of heat in my pitch now.

Compete pain in the ass.

>> No.693106

hello mr. some fag, are you moving to work for a different resort company, or staying in the same company? what are some good locales for getting into vacation sales? thanks

>> No.693116

>>693106
Just moving to a nicer house with a friend. Staying with my company.

Myrtle Beach and Orlando are huge timeshare areas. Probably the best I can think of. Florida in general is just a hotbed.

>> No.693124

cool, i'll keep that in mind. thanks for the tip

>> No.693131

>>693078
Btw what do you mean by "heat" in your pitch. Like, high-pressure techniques or something?

>> No.693137

>>693078
Why were they let go? Forbidden practices?

>> No.693147

>>693131
>what do you mean by "heat" in your pitch
Anything that misrepresents a program or feature/outright lies. I'm pretty safe to begin with, but I do have parts where a purposeful omission on my end makes something sound way better than it is. I need to revise that.

>>693137
Sort of. Telling people they could rent for profit and quoting numbers. There's a way to do it and not get screwed, and there's an easy way. They took the easy way.

It's mostly a question of "Do you want to make $150,000 a year, then move up? Or do you want to make $250,000-$300,000 and get fired after 2 years?"

They made more money than me, but I still have a job.

>> No.693150

>>693147
Well if they are able to make 250k a year, I'm sure they will find another sales job in no time.

>> No.693164

>>693150
Yeah, they totally will. It's just being out of work for a few months and having to deal with being known as a heat merchant. Also, some of your business won't stick due to lies, and you'll have what's known as chargebacks. There's a tradeoff.

I went with the route that will get me to an executive position. They'll stay on the floor for their entire careers. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's fucking exhausting.

>> No.693231

>>693164
Have you ever gotten complaints/been secret shopped? How do you spot them?

>> No.693352

>>693231
>Have you ever gotten complaints
Yes. I piss people off regularly. I don't hear no.

>been secret shopped?
No.

>How do you spot them?
They ask very specific questions, seem to be following a script, and usually try to keep their phone on the desk/fidget with their shit. Whenever someone keeps their phone out too long, I offer to install the company app, as it saves money. While I'm doing it, I check running apps. Nobody has been recording so far.

>> No.693377
File: 9 KB, 225x225, 1374301670828.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sales fag, I made a thread just before I saw that this one was alive and kicking:
>>692960
If you read through the first 10 replies you should get a pretty good idea of the situation.

I was wondering if you have any advice, considering your experience and all?

>> No.693384

How is it 2015 and there are still people stupid enough to buy fucking timeshares?

Timeshares are the epitome of pure shit.

>> No.693387

>>693377
You're pretty green. I'd tell you to keep a log of every call. What went right/what went wrong. Biggest thing you can learn right now is product knowledge. Get that down pat.

>> No.693394

>>693387
Yeah, I can often tell what I did wrong in call that made the other person say no. And I do make rookie mistakes still, from time to time I still don't know how to respond to some objections, if I get stressed or do something wrong, or say something retarded I can stutter or stumble over my own words, so I'm by no means perfect.

I basically copied the guy that was selling best in the project I was working on, saying the same things he said the way he said them.

>> No.693395

>>693384
the vast majority of consumer goods that people buy is pure shit. that's what our economy is built upon: consumption of pure shit by dumb fucks who have money because they live in a rich county and can fog a mirror

>> No.693399

>>693394
>I basically copied the guy that was selling best in the project I was working on, saying the same things he said the way he said them.
Smart move.

As far as overcoming objections, I think the archived threads have some good info on that skill. What's the most common one, or one that you have an issue with?

>>693384
>Timeshares are the epitome of pure shit.
Not really. Some are. I feel like we have a good product, though. It's going to take about $25,000 for you to buy it properly, though.

>> No.693404

>>693395

I agree, but there's consumerism and then there's just flat out borderline scams, which is what timeshares are.

Read what OP has said. They are literally firing people for blatantly lying to the customers.

Owning a timeshare is the real estate equivalent to having worms.

They just don't make any financial sense at all.

I have no idea why baby boomers are so obsessed with them.

>> No.693410

>>693399
The most common one I have problems with is "I don't feel ready to take this decision now/I need time to think about this."

My tactic to deal with this (I sell insurances) is to ensure them that they'll get papers home that they can read, and that it is important to get the insurance now to be protected as soon as possible.

This answer doesn't work as well as I would like it to though.

>> No.693411

>>693399
>Not really. Some are. I feel like we have a good product, though. It's going to take about $25,000 for you to buy it properly, though.

All of them are.

For the amount that you have to spend yearly on a timeshare, you can book your own vacation, choose where you want to stay, and go whenever you choose. You have zero equity in a timeshare and selling it is next to impossible for most people. Your maintenance fees can just as easily go towards a better vacation somewhere else.

I mean you no disrespect and I'm not insulting you at all, especially since you do seem to have a conscience and are honest to your customers, but you can't deny that the product makes zero financial sense and that your colleagues are scum.

>> No.693413

>>693411
this is true, but maybe these people don't want all of these choices. they just want to "have" something they can tell their friends about, and feel like they're part of something.

>> No.693414

>>693411
cont'd: majority of people vacation somehwere they've been before. most people aren't adventurous travelers, they just want to escape cubicle hell for a bit.

>> No.693415

>>693404
>flat out borderline scams, which is what timeshares are.
They're not a scam. At least the major ones aren't.

>Read what OP has said. They are literally firing people for blatantly lying to the customers.
Nobody was blatantly lying. The big killer was giving numbers on rental, and pitching their personal expertise as a boon to rental income. Some people were fucked, though. I can't deny that. When left alone with a pile of money, some people elected to grab as much as possible without concern for the owners; they've reapeded what they've sown.

>Owning a timeshare is the real estate equivalent to having worms.
Nah.

>They just don't make any financial sense at all.
They do if you currently spend about $1,000 a year on vacation as it stands. You're going to up the quality of your accommodations, secure your family's ability to vacation in perpetuity, and it just feels good to own something.

>>693410
>My tactic to deal with this (I sell insurances) is to ensure them that they'll get papers home that they can read, and that it is important to get the insurance now to be protected as soon as possible.
This isn't working because it's sales-y and they're not sold. "Today" is never the real objection. It just means the deal isn't there or they don't like the product. Best way to get rid of today is to bring it up before they do.

What kind of insurance are you selling?

>> No.693416

>>693413
>they just want to "have" something they can tell their friends about, and feel like they're part of something.

Their money and their right to spend it as they wish.

I also have the right to openly mock and tell them how retarded they are. Most usually figure that out by the end of the first year anyway though

>> No.693418

>>693415
Cancer insurance.

>> No.693422

>>693415
>They do if you currently spend about $1,000 a year on vacation as it stands.
That $1000 could easily be applied any other place, and with how shitty most timeshares are, you could easily do much better with the same amount of money

>You're going to up the quality of your accommodations

Literally no one talks about how amazing the accommodations of their timeshares are

>secure your family's ability to vacation in perpetuity

Saving that $1,000 + annual maintenance fee (Which increases every year) will also secure your ability to vacation perpetually too, except you can go where you want.

>it just feels good to own something.

You don't own anything. You have zero equity in the timeshare

>> No.693424

>>693411
>For the amount that you have to spend yearly on a timeshare, you can book your own vacation, choose where you want to stay, and go whenever you choose.
My particular company (and the industry in general, now) operates on a point system. Availability is actually higher than comparable hotels, and there are no restrictions as far as time is concerned.

>You have zero equity in a timeshare and selling it is next to impossible for most people.
We will actually take it back from you should you ever wish to give it back. The entire industry is working on putting price floors into the resale market.

>Your maintenance fees can just as easily go towards a better vacation somewhere else.
Our average maintenance is around $600 a year. You cannot get a beach front, 2 bedroom condo for a week in July for $600. It's also a bitch to book vacations nowadays. More and more people are taking them.

These are really common misconceptions. I don't think I'll change your mind, but this is the shit frontline hears daily. The industry has a bad rap from the early years, and it's our biggest hurdle to new owner acquisition.

>> No.693430

>>693424
>We will actually take it back from you should you ever wish to give it back. The entire industry is working on putting price floors into the resale market.

And how much does this cost the person?

The reseller market for timeshares is fucking massive. People are constantly donating these things and ebay is full of them for $1, which no one will buy at that price.

>Our average maintenance is around $600 a year. You cannot get a beach front, 2 bedroom condo for a week in July for $600.

Your points system is also there because it hides the horrible dollar value of what people are getting.

You'd be correct if this was the only cost, but this is just your maintenance fee. It doesn't count the $10k+ that you already had to pay for the fucking piece of shit.

>It's also a bitch to book vacations nowadays. More and more people are taking them.

Sorry, but this is a blatant lie. It's easier than ever to book and compare flights both hotels and flights simultaneously

>> No.693431

>>693418
>Cancer insurance.
Damn. Cool product. Ticking clock won't work, though. What you need is fear of loss. Tell a third party story in the beginning to make it an emotional sell. I can talk more about that if you don't know what I mean. I'd also do something along the lines of this:

>I know everything sounds great, and you want to do this for yourself and your family. I also know you're a smart man and want to digest everything I've said here, do your research, and be sure that the choice (never say decision) to buy is the right one. I do feel, however, that you'll never have a better opportunity than right now to ask questions and find out exactly what policy would benefit you. Cancer is the kind of thing that we don't think about often. It's the only bogeyman that it's still okay to be afraid of as we get older. I've been called a lot of things in this business, but I've never been called back. Please don't hang up this phone unprotected. You'll shelve it because it's a tough thought to entertain; that cancer could come into your life and take you from your loved ones. Don't ask yourself if this is something you can afford. Ask if your family can afford to lose you.

Rough draft, but you get it.

>> No.693434

>>693424
600$ maintenance a year? How much up front?
What if you want to sub-lease it? Like rent it to kids going on spring break and shit? Is that the buyer's discretion?

>> No.693437

>>693431

Just out of curiosity, does anyone ever do fucked up shit with the thermostat in those group meetings?

A friend and his wife went to one of those years ago and they said it was easily 100+ degrees in the room for the three hours.

>>693434
He'd be able to answer it better, but most of the time, you'll pay anywhere between 10k-30k upfront for the property.

That points system he was talking about is designed to make them more money because it allows them to control when you can go to the timeshare instead of you booking your week. Of course they'll sell you more points for a fee.

The overwhelming majority of them don't allow you to sub lease or sell your time.

>> No.693438

>>693430
>And how much does this cost the person?
Nothing. In certain cases, we'll actually pay you 20% of what you put into it.

>The reseller market for timeshares is fucking massive. People are constantly donating these things and ebay is full of them for $1, which no one will buy at that price.
Because they're shit timeshares. I can also buy cars without engines or transmissions from Craigslist for just the tow fees. I tell people to go buy those, then see me in a year when they don't work at all.

>Your points system is also there because it hides the horrible dollar value of what people are getting.
No. It's just there to provide the same flexibility as cash.

>It's easier than ever to book and compare flights both hotels and flights simultaneously
When's the last time you booked one, anon? The reason they all tote ease of use is because they're all a hassle. There's a ton of loopholes, and the service is awful. We actually have concierges that will do absolutely everything for you. Plus we get steep discounts on airfare. There's a bidding war between airlines for our business, as we have a base of nothing but dedicated travelers.

>> No.693445

>>693434
>How much up front?
For something getting you $600 in maintenance a year, around $22,500 depending on inventory and incentives.

>What if you want to sub-lease it? Like rent it to kids going on spring break and shit? Is that the buyer's discretion?
Totally up to the buyer. It's a viable option, but the exact shit we got in trouble for.

>>693437
>Just out of curiosity, does anyone ever do fucked up shit with the thermostat in those group meetings?
We don't do group ones anymore. We bitch about temperature harder than the guests, so no, our office is always comfortable.

>That points system he was talking about is designed to make them more money because it allows them to control when you can go to the timeshare instead of you booking your week. Of course they'll sell you more points for a fee.
It came about because people were tired of exchange fees and a closed reservation system. This increased availability and decreased fees. Of course we'll sell you more points, we're a for-profit company. We're actually one of the top performers of the S&P 500.

>The overwhelming majority of them don't allow you to sub lease or sell your time.
Most do. You're used to dealing with mom and pop operations. They invariably suck.

>> No.693757

>>693431
This man write poetry.
Damn.
And here I am trying to sell Soccer Club sponsorships using a phone book.

>> No.693759

>itt: Anon tries arguing with a Salesman.

>> No.693760

>>693431
How come choice over decisision?

I'm not from a native English speaking country, so stuff like tone of voice, and choice of words is pretty much uncharted territory.

Also, that draft was pretty good, but I can't select the policy to sell. We have the one we sell, and that's it. Luckily it is a really good policy, instead of giving you money based on your condition, or how bad it is, you get it as soon as you're diagnosed.

There's a tiny problem however, I need to do a health thingy with my customers first, where they need to answer a couple of questions just to see if they qualify. Right now I can pretty easily get into and through it, with my tactic being to get them into it as soon as possible, and if they qualify to then just treating the fact that they should be insured as obvious. If they have any objections.

>> No.693907

>>693760
>How come choice over decisision?
Because decisions are hard. They require days of thought. It might be something I need to sleep on. I make choices every day. I choose what to wear, eat, and watch. Choices are easy.

What's the native language, and are you pitching to English speakers?

>Also, that draft was pretty good, but I can't select the policy to sell. We have the one we sell, and that's it.
Change when verbiage from "which policy would benefit you" to "why this policy would benefit you.

What you're doing as far as assuming that they'll buy is perfect. Continue doing it. Try to pepper in the amount of people covered. Say you're offering the opportunity all throughout the area code, and the paperwork is pretty backed up. Make a joke about getting it now so they get their forms and coverage sooner. " Odds are some of your neighbors are already covered by now."

>> No.693950

>>693907
Swedish, and I'm pitching to Swedish speakers.

We're calling people who are already insured by this insurance company, so it's not complete cold calling.

I already do what you're saying to some extent, but you have a certain way of doing it I really like. It's casual and friendly but still professional.

The amount of people covered is something I bring up, but I'll try to do it as smooth as you suggest.

>> No.693983

>>693415
>"Today" is never the real objection. It just means the deal isn't there or they don't like the product.

Cannot really agree with that. Real Estate is a huge investment for the common man. Yes, they come to buy. But they won't buy on the spot.

I'm in marketing, so I don't know how common it is to get a person to sign on the spot, but i took damn long to buy my house. Visited the object probably 3 times. I doubt I'm that much of an outlier.

>> No.693991

The average homeowner has a net worth that is about 41 times greater than that of a renter, according to a report from the National Association of Realtors. Homeowners' net worth averaged between $150,000 and $200,000 this year, according to NAR.Nov 16, 2010

>> No.694195

>>693983
That's because most real estate agents are shit salespeople. They literally just show houses and ask if the client wants to buy. A good closer is hard to find in real estate.

I said in an earlier thread that every year we have a few real estate agents give timeshare a whirl because the money is better. They invariably suck because they don't know how to sell; they just know how to ask someone to buy.

>>693991
Neat. Not sure what you're getting at, but it's a nice stat to throw around. It also implies that the average renter has about $4,250 as a net worth. I find that suspect or terrifying. Not sure which.

>> No.694426

>>692923
>I want to learn how to sell things.

I have 0 experience.

Where do I start? books? videos?

Thanks!

>> No.694465

>>694426
Read the previous threads, I guess. Just learn how to get people to like you. A big part of sales is just knowing a little bit about everything. It helps make you relatable.

You have to actively sell to get better at it, though, anon.

>> No.694491

>>694465
I'm doing ecommerce and I'm getting some sales.

But they seem to be random.

Most courses I found about writting sales letters and ads, seem to assume I know the basic. But I don't.

>> No.694529

>>694491
The basics are just common sense. Try to think about what would make you buy a product, then do that.

>> No.694811

Hey Some Fag, I feel like you should do your threads in a style similar to Long Post Guy on /o/. He comes and makes a thread about car sales (works at used lot) with 2-3 greentext stories (usually niggers who made retarded car loans) and then give's advice about w/e. Just something you might want to take into consideration. It could at least kick the thread off.

>> No.694818

>>694529

What if it's simply the product that's making me want to buy the product? How do I sell something that sells itself? Why should I buy something that needs to be sold by someone else?

>> No.694960

>>694811
I like LPG. I lurk /o/ sometimes. I've got stories; they're just a bitch to post from a phone. I'll probably start doing it, though.

>>694818
>What if it's simply the product that's making me want to buy the product?
That's great. It means you have a good product.

>How do I sell something that sells itself? You don't let people talk themselves out of it, and you get them to pay more than what they normally would. You also just present it as an opportunity, not a sales pitch.

>Why should I buy something that needs to be sold by someone else?
I guess you'll never own a car, house, or modern appliance. You'll also never have insurance or investment vehicles. If we count marketing as sales, you won't really own anything.

>> No.695358
File: 39 KB, 625x469, 220-pxx.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any books or other sources of information you can recommend?

>> No.695393

How do you sell to Indian people? Every time I talk to them they shop me or go with someone else. I do refinances by the way.

>> No.695466

>>695358
Not really. Just started a new book, I'll let you guys know if it's any good.

>>695393
>How do you sell to Indian people? Every time I talk to them they shop me or go with someone else.
I don't. We have very few Indian owners. I mostly deal with existing owners now. When I was in frontline sales, I dreaded Indian tours and hasidic Jews. I've seen people have success by spending ludicrous amounts of time with them, and sort of setting up a "This makes sense to you, you want to do this, your parents raised you, ergo your parents would feel the same way." sort of logic loop. They always want time to think about it because they're analytical, and, depending on how Americanized or not they are, they may need to run it by their parents.

>> No.696017

Boredom bump. Have a story I'll post in a few. Client yesterday only made $12,000 a year.

>> No.696088

>>696017
Hi Fag,

How's the ol' not-too-specific-personal life treating ya?
Any holidays or events you want to catch?

Sincerely,
Ausnon.

>> No.696130

>>696088
It's okay. Hate my girlfriend. Best friend is going to be back home this week; looking forward to that. And I have a gala I'm obligated to attend at an aquarium. I'll be drunk.

>> No.696142

>>696130
Women mang, women...
I'm feelin' ya. I remember when friends leaving meant they were going a 20 minute bus ride away...
Dat social obligation is remedied with social lubrication. Don't get molested by an octopus though.
It's 1am here, so g'night and good luck Fag.

>> No.697348

OP how much is your secure income? Or do you have to make it all through comission?
How much vacation time you taking?

>> No.697353

I've worked in sales and I know just how easy it is to sell something stupid to stupid people. Are you some sort of wizard or is it really that easy to sell timeshare? Where are you finding people interested in this as it's hard for me to comprehend someone would actually go to one of these meetings. I assume they're mostly elderly people?

I'm actually really interested in this. I've never really read one of your threads but this is good shit so far.

>> No.697392

>>697353

I used to wonder that until I realized it's mostly people who kids have went to college, they got divorced, or someone died and they have extra money lying around from a loss with nothing to do and will put the blinders on and buy into bullshit.

>> No.697490

>>697348
>OP how much is your secure income?
$0. I make a minimum wage recoverable draw. I pay it back out of my commission checks.

>Or do you have to make it all through comission?
My comp plan literally says 100% commission.

>How much vacation time you taking?
I don't, really. Going on one in May, though. I'm sort of a workhorse here.

>>697353
>Where are you finding people interested in this as it's hard for me to comprehend someone would actually go to one of these meetings. I assume they're mostly elderly people?
Normal people like you or me. We draw them in with the promise of $100 gift card or some other incentive (They get it, don't worry); they just have to sit through a 90 minute presentation. You have 90 minutes to sell them on frontline, 45 in my department. Your best shot will be a young couple with two kids about 5 years old.
>>697392
>I used to wonder that until I realized it's mostly people who kids have went to college, they got divorced, or someone died and they have extra money lying around from a loss with nothing to do and will put the blinders on and buy into bullshit.
That's actually a harder sell. They have nobody to do this for. It's hard to find an emotional angle.

>> No.698303

Gunna bump for those stories

>> No.698480

>>692935
Buy a used cayman
PDK is great, but if you need manual don't buy porsche

>> No.698716

>>698480
Yeah. That's what I was looking at. IMS issue worried me, though. And why no manual if Porsche?

>>698303
This is from when I still worked frontline sales.

>B is only black guy at work
>We, meaning me and him, make joined about it constantly
>Everybody wants him to touch their table when they have a black couple
>It's slightly racist, but it actually is a huge asset
>(People buy from people like them)
>We're sitting down waiting to get tours
>We both get one at the same time
>He receives Jill and Paul Wheeler
>I get Tyreese and Shafika Washington
>I look like the president of the high school's young Republican club
>Both of us look at our manager
>Fucking really
>We look back at each other and don't even say a word; just swap tours
>Fucks with our commission slightly, but I won't get into that
>My people are the whitest in the league
>I sell them, but the deal blows up in contracts because they're idiots
>(Didn't realize they'd have to pay back the down payment)
>B had finished earlier and left
>Ask our trainer, who T/O'd the table, what happened
>"I don't know. I go over there to help and B is explaining the difference between timeshare and non-ownership using drugs as an analogy."
>"You're buying from this nigga, and he has some weak shit. My nigga, you buying from me, and I have that fire. I'll give you that fire every week. You only have to pay for the first ten times, though. Who the fuck you gonna re-up from?"
>Trainer apologizes to Tyreese for B's behavior
>"Nah, fam. He's explaining this in a way that I can feel. Just hop off and let him do his thing."
>Of course they didn't have the down payment
>Can spend $500 but it wipes out his checking
>B gets him to call his supplier on the floor and ask to front his next pickup, so it frees up some money
>Can't front it
>Can't pay
>No deal
>B is still the nig whisperer

>> No.698726

>>698716
From the directors of "Black Beauty" and "Precocious" comes a heart warming tale staring Alec Baldwin...
>The Nig Whisperer
Coming this Summer.

>> No.698743

i know absolutely nothing about sales, but i'm about to get training as an insurance agent. got nothing to do so i thought why not. am an introvert but not autistic

where do you find clients? it's completely blank to me

>> No.698751

>>698743
We have a marketing department that does it for us. Clients just come into the office for a meeting or presentation. It's great.

>> No.698864

>>698751
that sounds great. hope we have something like that. i hate the idea of having to ease insurance plans into a conversation

>> No.699184

>>698864
You can always ease a product into conversation; don't worry, anon.

>> No.699286

Anything happen with those people who only has 12k?

>> No.699429

>>699286
I convinced them to buy and then talked them out of it on purpose. I wouldn't have slept if I did that. Only reason I took it that far was to prove something to the sales director.

>> No.700112

any recommended books for beginner insurance agents?

>> No.700415

>>700112
Cialdini's Influence. You can find a free PDF if you look. I think I linked one in an earlier thread.

>> No.701289

One more bump before I disappear for a while again.