[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 112 KB, 764x938, 1423030420736.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
671981 No.671981 [Reply] [Original]

I'm miserable at school and I feel everyday is a fucking grind.
I'm about half way done with my engineering degree and was thinking about taking some time off to think about what i'm going to do. Maybe a semester or year to rethink.
Part of the reason i'm miserable at school is because about 90% of the material I study is fucking useless towards my future career.
Can /biz/ offer any insight or advice? Am I making a mistake delaying school? Is it normal to be miserable in uni? It's probably worth nothing that I already have significant work experience from an internship.

>> No.671984

college is the best time of your life. I've got bad news if you're miserable now. What's your GPA anyways?

>> No.671988

>>671981

unless you have a job offer in hand you're happy with i'd finish it up. rarely is it school that's makes people miserable so long as they can handle the work, it's usually their socal life and relationships, or lack there of. You getting any, anon?

>> No.671994

>>671984
I have a 2.83 gpa right now. Last semester by some miracle I got a 3.05.
I've worked at an investment bank for 7 months and I preferred it so much more to school. I was getting paid well and actually had a social life.
Especially when I got home and had no fucking thermodynamics homework and exams lingering over me.
Doing well in engineering and having the best time of your life isn't synonymous, it's probably quite rare.

>> No.672018

>>671994
Life dose not get any easier, I graduated as a cheme in 2012 and I am sill a depressed robot faking happy emotions so my boss thinks I'm normal.

>> No.672024

>>671988
That's probably a great point, I lack any significant relationships with people in school. I felt much better around my coworkers.
Easily the worst thing about engineering school is the imbalanced gender ratio. My data structures class was about 15 guys, and 1 girl. It's pretty depressing.
As for finding a job, i'm sure I can. My resume is pretty packed for someone my age.

>>672018
You have a tier 1 degree and job experience, why don't you change jobs until you find something you like? That's a big mistake if you're good at what you do.

>> No.672040

>>671988
im in uni right now and if you have fun at uni you either are spending tons of money or getting shitty grades

uni is a grind to nonpsych majors faggot

i see these scrubs around campus they will be flipping burgers when mommy and daddy cut the cord

>> No.672042

>>671981
Are you good with your hands?

>> No.672057

>>671981
You just have to slog through it. Learn to play the game. You might not need in your future career, but you need it now. You need it to pass your classes, get good grades, and get that degree.

>> No.672068

>>672057
>implying that he needs a degree
Good goy.

>> No.672099

I used to hate college, but after I graduated and started working, I realize how awesome school was.

It wasn't even the parties either. Just going to lectures, as boring and grinding as they were, are still more relaxed and fun than working 40 hours a week.

I would give Anything to be an undergrad again.