[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 2.80 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_20150214_170548.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
651539 No.651539 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /biz/, please tell me how fucked or lucky I am.
> immigrant in US, all legal stuff figured
>late 20s
> white&hot, but unsociable and unintentionally rude, also spoken English not good
> self-taught PHP web-developer fag
> working as a code monkey in SoCal, for a small startup-ish company with no really bright people aboard
> recently got raise from 50 to 55, and I have insurance

I realize I am not a real programmer but a self-taught faggot. But everywhere I see job postings, even entry-level suckers get at least 60. I plan to leave my company for family reasons and move to LA from a small town I am now in.
I can not crack coding interviews, and I am not very likeable.

What should I do to find a good coding job in LA? Should I go to college to become a 'real' programmer?

>> No.651562

If you can't crack an interview, you either have communication issues or are not as good as you think.

Working on your English skills would help.

Either trade school or a cheap community college class would help show you have the basics.

>> No.651566

>>>/g/

Go through the wiki and read their books and see if that helps you decide what to specialize in. They're also much better equipped to give you advice on employment in IT.

>> No.651571

>>651566
Thank you sir

>> No.651595

>>651562

>Cheap community collge class
Yea OP, go learn how to HTML.

>> No.651601

>>651595
Trolling much?

>> No.651607
File: 11 KB, 400x400, Herm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>651601

Nope, any comm college I've heard of only teaches intros. 2 years isn't going to get you anywhere near real programming OP.

Technical schooling? Prob

I live east side, so I know.

>> No.651613

>>651607
notsure.jpg

>> No.652393

>>651539
I'm a self-taught developer in CA as well. Please don't take any of the following as insulting:

> working as a code monkey in SoCal, for a small startup-ish company with no really bright people aboard
> white&hot, but unsociable and unintentionally rude, also spoken English not good

If you are calling other people not very bright (even if its true), this can be seen as rude. Be nice.

> I realize I am not a real programmer but a self-taught faggot.
This depends entirely on your level of skill.

Do you know what a binary tree is? Can you write fizzbuzz without using google? Do you have a lot of interesting code projects on your github? These are some very very simple things you should be able to do right off the bat. Study, study, study. If there's something you don't know, learn it. Honestly, if you have the knowledge, it doesn't matter how you learned it or how unlikeable you are.

>> No.652397

>>652393
Can you get a job as a code monkey semi-easily without a degree in CS if you have a decent portfolio of coding experience? It'd seem that someone with a degree would probably get priority.