[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 83 KB, 800x800, 1-oz-sunshine-silver-bar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
629394 No.629394 [Reply] [Original]

So for all here, I have recently began looking into buying silver and I have a question I have not been able to get a simpla answer on.
Considering sheer increase in value. What is the best option, poured or pressed silver?

>> No.629817

Depends on the premiums you're going to get. For me, pressed looks better. I bought 10 oz worth of maple leafs, but I would've paid less in premium if I got a 10 oz bullion. Oh well.

>> No.629890

Poured is usually the larger sizes like 100 ozt. 1 to 10 is pressed.

>> No.629934

I buy from other people at coin shows-no premium and people are happy to get book price

>> No.630076

>>629394

Buy minted coins, they are the most desirable, and usually get you a nice premium upon sale as well....

i.e. you want the easier version of precious metals so you can guarantee people will buy them and generally trust them

Honestly, it is worth paying a 2.75$ premium over spot to get US Liberty Eagle because you will be able to sell it at 1.75-2.25$ premium over spot... so while you're losing some money on the initial purchase, it will benefit you when you go to "cash out"

I keep all my PM in US mint gold/silver coins, and I got like a pirate chest worth of this...

The only time huge bars of gold/silver make sense is when you have a shit-ton of money, talking millions and you need to be able to store that wealth in a manageable, tangent asset and it is easier to keep track of a couple hundred bars of silver/gold than it is to track thousands of coins......

But rich people keep a supply of gold coins around just in case they need to grab it and go....

my experience: I have an idiot uncle who has more money than he knows what to do with and instead of helping his family all achieve prosperity the fucker dumps millions in precious metals purchases and buying land in a bunch of different states....

I know because I helped buy, install, setup his CCTV system at his main mansion and the setup cost close to price of a new mercedes benz and this was back in 2007

>> No.630374

>>629394
This:
>>629890

Although I have seen mints that specialize in poured bullion and sell poured products as small as 1 gram. Whenever I see a poured bullion product, it's pressed counterpart is almost always selling at a lower premium.

>> No.630378

>>629394
500 lire argento
500 lire caravelle

google that shit.. old coins minted in Italy, zero numismatic value, good silver inside, most common junk silver coin around

why not other coins?
because for some reason it's still possible to find 500 lire argento well below their value in silver terms

not gonna last long though

>> No.630379 [DELETED] 

>>630076
>coin shills
Coins are generally less liquid and less profitable than pure bullion bars since collectors of coins are harder to come by. Collectability is emotion regarding history. Not everyone can agree on the price of history since everyone feels differently, but everyone can agree on a price for the material that history is made of.

Industrial PM buyers tend to stay away from coins due to their purity (or lack thereof) since they have operational standards to adhere to. If a refinery DOES buy coins they will give themselves a heavy discount because they will need to purify the metal they want from the coin. Even uncirculated coins such as the popular American Gold Eagle coins are less than 95% pure gold.

Rounds with no face value are more liquid than coins, but the premiums on rounds tend to be higher than bars which means you'll need to wait longer for the same profit.

Bullion bars are the way to go. The only reason to ever invest in coins is if you need to cross borders, and then only trust the canadian maple leaf coins.

>> No.630380

>>630076
>>630378
>coin shills
Coins are generally less liquid and less profitable than pure bullion bars since collectors of coins are harder to come by. Collectability is emotion regarding history. Not everyone can agree on the price of history since everyone feels differently, but everyone can agree on a price for the material that history is made of.

Industrial PM buyers tend to stay away from coins due to their purity (or lack thereof) since they have operational standards to adhere to. If a refinery DOES buy coins they will give themselves a heavy discount because they will need to purify the metal they want from the coin. Even uncirculated coins such as the popular American Gold Eagle coins are less than 95% pure gold.

Rounds with no face value are more liquid than coins, but the premiums on rounds tend to be higher than bars which means you'll need to wait longer for the same profit.

Bullion bars are the way to go. The only reason to ever invest in coins is if you need to cross borders, and then only trust the canadian maple leaf coins.

>> No.630381

>>630380
>bullion bar shills
Just buy $SLV or $GLD.

>> No.630383 [DELETED] 

>>630381
>Trusting someone else with your wealth
Putting your money into PMs should be an investment for the long-term and a hedge for the short term. Since it's a hedge for the short-term, you want to minimize risks any way you can.

That means not buying certificates and/or not buying into a trust. Get that shit IN YOUR HAND and keep it locked away in a place nobody knows about. The companies that store "your" PMs could go under and have their assets seized. Say bye-bye to that chunk of change!

Then there's the problem of scam-companies who never have or store PMs in the first place and just take your money and run. If you buy physical bullion online, you may get scammed as well - but if you buy locally from a brick and mortar store you can bet your ass they'll be legit.

Depending on the bullion product you buy, some have built-in security features that guarantee your product is legit and pure (like the Sunshine Mint's "MintMark SI" security feature).

>> No.630384

>>630381
>Trusting someone else with your wealth
Putting your money into PMs should be an investment for the long-term and a hedge for the short term. Since it's a hedge for the short-term, you want to minimize risks any way you can.

That means not buying certificates and/or not buying into a trust. Get that shit IN YOUR HAND and keep it locked away in a place nobody knows about. The companies that store "your" PMs could go under and have their assets seized. Say bye-bye to that chunk of change!

Then there's the problem of scam-companies who never have or store PMs in the first place and just take your money and run. If you buy physical bullion online, you may get scammed as well - but if you buy locally from a brick and mortar store you can bet your ass they'll be legit. Plus, depending on the bullion product you buy, some have built-in security features that guarantee your product is legit and pure (like the Sunshine Mint's "MintMark SI" security feature).

>> No.630393

>>629817
Yes, but you can sell half of the 10 oz worth of maple leafs separately.

>> No.630395

>>630380
Wrong. Coins (the pure ones especially) are more liquid than small bars because there is a larger market. Industrial buyers go after industrial sizes or just buy junk in bulk. Your 10 ozt bar is not industrial scale.

>> No.630398

>>630380
>collectors of coins are harder to come by.
you don't need "collector of coins" if there's no numismatic value

you just need a very common coin most people knows about like 500 lire argento.. seriously man, just look it up on ebay and see how many tonnes of it are getting traded

>> No.630403

>>630395
>Industrial buyers go after industrial sizes or just buy junk in bulk. Your 10 ozt bar is not industrial scale.
On the contrary, 10oz bars are where the industrial buyers start because the 10oz bars generally carry a lower premium than other silver products. Coincidentally, 10oz bars still affordable to private buyers - making the 10oz bars the most liquid.

sources:
- http://www.jmbullion.com/silver/silver-bars/
(scroll down to the sections labelled "Buy Silver Bars" and "Sizes of Silver Bars")
- http://www.jmbullion.com/investing-guide/

>>630398
>PMs
>ebay
If you're using ebay as your market barometer, you're doing it wrong.

>> No.630405

>>630403
10 ozt bars do not carry lower premiums than industrial sizes. You're confusing industrial and individual.

>> No.630407

>>630405
>You're confusing industrial and individual.
I never said they have a lower premium than the industrial sizes, I said they have a lower premium than other silver products.

Seems your confusing
>"10oz bars generally carry a lower premium than other silver products."
with
>"10oz bars generally carry a lower premium than ALL other silver products."

Isn't English fun?

>> No.630410

>>630403
>>630407
I see now my posts warrant further explaination - Industrial buyers buy industrial sizes, true. The 10oz bar is the smallest size industrial buyers usually buy since it has a lower premium than other small silver bars yet have enough silver content per bar to fit into their profit margins. Since it's within the scope of both private and industrial buyers, it's the most liquid size bar because if you can't find a buyer on one side of the market, you can usually find a buyer on the other side.

>> No.630411

>>630407
I'm not confusing them. The point is that an industrial buyer getting thousands of ozt is going to get the absolute lowest price, and that's not 10 ozt bars. Your premise that small bars are more liquid because of industrial buyers is false.

>> No.630413

>>630411
See:
>>630410
Alternatively, have a nice day and keep on stacking!

>> No.630415

>>630413
Yeah, I don't believe it though.

>> No.630421

>>630415
That's fine, anon - you don't have to. I provided you with reading material if you decide to investigate my claims - but otherwise, good luck and have fun!

>> No.630540
File: 106 KB, 794x773, 1421791505802.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In the words of Gregory Mannarino, "Become your own central bank!"

>> No.630585

>>630384
>Since it's a hedge for the short-term, you want to minimize risks any way you can.

Right, like having your physical bullion bought and put in custodial storage by a $35bn trust owned and operated by the largest asset manager on the planet (with AUM > $4tn) that's backed up by the most powerful government on the planet, instead of going to your local coin shop and buying 10oz bars in your backyard.

This isn't that hard, people. You're like 100x more likely to be scammed buying PM's online or in some sketchy-ass local pawn shop than you are by GLD or SLV.

>> No.630597

>>630585
b.. but.. but... the apocalypse and all paper not being worth anything ever again!!!!!

muh freedoms!!! i didn't waste 5 grand on this assualt rifle did I? I'll get to use it when society breaks down like fox news told me right?!?!?!

I fully agree with you anon. GLD and SLV are the easiest and lowest risk way to hold gold and silver - just like it's way easier to hold OIL or dbo instead of actually storing barrels of crude in your back yard, or renting a tanker...

the thing about gold and silver is that they are so valuable in such small quantities that people with just a couple 100,000 dollars can still turn it all to actual gold and store it economically - which makes them think this is something they should do. but i would say to them.. imagine storing 100,000 worth of any other commodity like oil or wheat.. and think about the logistics of it...

just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it.

>> No.630615

>>630585
>>630597
Well, I'm clearly not going to convince you that physical bullion in-hand is better than a piece of arbitrary paper. I feel like we're just arguing over the most secure method of storing the product at this point anyway - so I'm out. Take care, anons.

>> No.630629

>>630540
mmmmyeah. now make the image again, but with the central picture replaced by a picture of ferguson or any of the other "peaceful protests" that have followed incidents where your militarised police have shot dead one of your militarised public

>> No.630631

>>630629
>and yet the dollar gets stronger everyday

>> No.630638

>>630585
>>630597
the reality is that the middle ground is the best place

sure it's fine to hold ETCs like the ones mentioned. sure it's extremely unlikely that extreme scenarios will happen (that's why they're called extreme) and even if they do, gold and silver will be as worthless as anything else (see: the road, the walking dead etc)

on the other hand, owning precious metals in the form of coins and bars is cool. i have a metal box with mine in. when i am old and grey, i think i am going to write a little narrative about some bizarre religious cult, put it and a few black candles and animal bones and so on in the box, and bury it deep somewhere for the archaeologists of the future to puzzle over

>> No.630647

>>630615

That "arbitrary paper" represents a legal claim on assets protected by the U.S. government, whereas your gold coins can be trivially stolen by the first group of thugs to figure out you have them.

And before you yell "Confiscation! 1933!", remember that there are approximately 2.2 million instances of burglary PER YEAR, and over 130 million instance since 1960, versus one instance of gold confiscation, so it's exponentially more likely you'll lose your "physical gold, in hand" to theft than I will lose my paper gold to government confiscation.

>> No.630650
File: 56 KB, 766x705, 2015-01-28_1854.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>630631
compared to last year's low maybe

>the dollar is so strong it is worth about the same as it was four and a half years ago!

see, i can cherrypick, too

>> No.630689

There are a bunch of slack jawed faggot in this thread, putting forth advice about high premium precious metals like you're some Fox News commercial.

OP, if you're investing in the base metal, as in you're making an investment in the SPOT PRICE, you buy in bulk or you don't buy at all.

1oz coins? Sure, if you get a low spot price. Otherwise buy bars, 10oz, 100oz, 1kg bars. Stack 'em high. Buy reputable brands. Get as close to spot as possible.

At the end of the day you're making a bet on the price of silver increasing. When you start fucking around with oh-so-rare designs and what not, it's less about the metal then.

>> No.630768

>>630689
True, but bullion and reputable bars will be easier to sell than a hunk of metal that's questionably silver.

>> No.631489

>>630647
I wasn't going to claim "confiscation", more or less that those pieces of paper are a promise I don't trust as much as I trust in my ability to keep these particular physical assets safe and under my possession.

Again, it feels as if we agree silver is a good vehicle for your wealth and now we're simply arguing over our method of storage - which is preferential and pointless to argue.

>> No.631492

Dollars are tickets to participate in the us economy

If you want to grow your own food, build your own house, etc go for it man, but don't expect society to follow you because over half the population probably can't plunge their own toilets and will therefore keep a govt in power to baby them

>> No.631539

>>630768
>True, but bullion and reputable bars will be easier to sell than a hunk of metal that's questionably silver.

Slightly. It isn't that hard to proof that the questionable hunk of metal really is refined silver.