[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 130 KB, 900x600, gaston-12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
627297 No.627297 [Reply] [Original]

My only experience with investments was having my dad put my ninth-year birthday money into stock for me, and then learning two years later that company had caved in the dotcom burst. I forget which one...

The point is, I know dick about what to do. All I hear about money seminars and stuff is for old people retiring. I'm just out of college, got about $20k in college debt, a job that pays it off well, and about $230-250 a month left over from my budget.

I hear stuff about IRAs, and 401ks, and trades and bonds and I don't know who to trust, because all I think is 'what is this guy trying to sell me on?' So, what the fuck am I supposed to be doing at this stage in my life to build nest eggs or money security or a small monetary project or what-the-fuck ever.

Also, don't assume I know any terms, because I really don't. If all that means is you want to fuck with me like /fa/ or something, go ahead, but it would be nice for some, any direction, instead of waiting 20 years for some course correction.

>> No.627316

>>627297
Pay off your debt first. $250 a month isn't much of anything to invest to be completely honest. Focus on covering your bills and saving some money first, then come back to investing.

For the 401k, does your company offer any sort of match? Matching means your employer will make a contribution equal to yours. Sometimes this is up to certain amount or percentage, sometimes there's no match, and sometimes you get lucky and find a company that will match your entire contribution. If your company offers something like this, it's usually wise to contribute up to the match amount. Saving for retirement early is important.

I'm 25 myself, so as a young person I threw some money into stocks to get started (after taking care of my 401k first). As a young person you can afford to take more risks when you get into investing, so long as you have something more stable to back you up.

>> No.627329

>>627297

Get a better job or more education. If your company doesn't offer a 401k and you only have 250 per month after expenses you are on a path to poverty and likely making minimum wage.

>> No.627355
File: 66 KB, 480x720, quantron.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>627329
>If your company doesn't offer a 401k and you only have 250 per month after expenses you are on a path to poverty and likely making minimum wage.
Well, it's not 'minimum wage' but I have no intention of sticking with the job I have right now. It's just a sort of 'hey you've got out of college but fish aren't biting, want to box stuff in my store for a year or so?' job.

Also, should clarify, the 250 left over is not because I'm spending money on rent right now, I'm still at my parents for at least another four months. I just wanted to milk the whole 'don't have to spend money on rent right, so you better get those expensive transformers while you can' deal I got. I've got about 2k stored away for a buffer on that, but if I'm not spending 500 a month on a shit efficiency, I may as well spend it on pic related instead.

I could stop that, though, if you guys think there's a better direction for my cash for these halcyon days of not buying groceries for myself.

>> No.627361

>>627355

so you have basically no expenses but only 250 a month extra? You are doing fucking horribly. Get a better job.

>> No.627365

>>627355
Are you really spending money on transformers?

I think there's funds you can investing in that average out to like 10-30% gain a year, vanguard fund its called?

it sounds more profitable than a savings account (1%)

>> No.627370

>>627355
>'don't have to spend money on rent right, so you better get those expensive transformers while you can'
How the fuck much are you spending on transformers?

I'm a buyf/a/g and spend a ton of money on animu figures, but that makes up only a small percentage of my income. You need to set a limit for yourself.

>I could stop that, though, if you guys think there's a better direction for my cash
Save money for when you move out.

>> No.627377

>>627361
How does one get a better job?

>> No.627382

>>627370
>How the fuck much are you spending on transformers?
Well, last paycheck I got $750, and counting what I bought this week... about $450 for this week, so about 900 a month usually. I figure I take that down to 100 every paycheck when I'm on my own, that there alone is another 700 a month for apartments.

I guess I could also stop eating out so much, but again, no real squeeze to not get gyros right now instead of making sandwiches.

>> No.627387

>>627382
So, yeah, need a better job, need better passive income plans, I know it's all 'ticking clock' and stuff, but what good is panicking or regretting choices going to do?

>> No.627392

>>627377
well you can learn a hot skill right now, coding and development

IOS developers make their weight in platinum
Any uni serving degree, like engineering or finance, will net huge paying jobs.

Otherwise having very strong networking/people (sales) skills will net you great jobs with most companies. ( B.D heyooo!)

>> No.627393

>>627365
any one have more details on these funds and shit?

>> No.627394

>>627382
>900 a month usually
Stop. Stop stop stop stop.

You can't afford to spend that much right now. Forget investing, you're being wildly irresponsible with your money right now.

>> No.627396

>>627393
Your percentage gain is unrealistic, but I assume you're talking about a vanguard index fund.

>> No.627401

>>627394

lol this anon is right.

how can people be so delusional? It's fucking sad but I guess indicative of why americans save so little on average.

>> No.627417

>>627396
details baby

>> No.627423
File: 134 KB, 787x830, 1412550715653.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>627417

>> No.627428

>>627423
>http://cardfight.wikia.com/wiki/Vanguard_Deck_Help
>wat

your on 4chan you got nothing better to do, help a brother out

>> No.627432

>>627394
Okay, fine, so what should I do with it? Save it? Sit on it? Invest it?

I don't have any ambition for a fancy house or a super-sexy car, or making some lady or guy happy with who I am. Flashy stuff like that never made me feel special. All I've ever wanted was stability, a simple small apartment or loft where I could surf the net and play video games and collect my action figures and just be left in peace. So if you have a way to get to that sense of snugness, I'm all ears.

>> No.627451

>>627428
It's the first search result. I'm not spoonfeeding you.

>>627432
Focus on paying off your debt and saving some money for now. You're not making too much yet and you don't want that debt hanging over your head. It's good idea to save some money in case something happens, plus you'll need it for when you're ready to move out. An apartment will require a couple months of rent upfront, plus a security deposit. Then you'll need some furniture and all the basic house items. Get yourself financially stable before you go spending 10k a year on your hobbies.

>> No.627460

>>627451
>Then you'll need some furniture and all the basic house items.
Well that's covered, parents are basically giving me half the house's furniture and kitchenware when they move to Portland.

>> No.627463

>>627451
just be my mentor for a moment, show me the world

>> No.627479

Some boards (fit, fashion) have a collection of self-education links. Anything like that here?

>> No.627496

>>627396
>>627417
>>627423
>>627428
Jesus christ, just google "vanguard fund".

https://investor.vanguard.com/corporate-portal/

They have ETFs of most of them, that's what you should look at.

>>627479
Haha. Nope! Unfortunately. People have tried, but it never amounted to anything, because the board is basically filled to the brim with assholes. But there's some good people, too. It's still fairly new, feel free to help organizing making one if you feel like it.

>> No.627499

>>627496
>https://investor.vanguard.com/corporate-portal/
Didn't double-check the address.

https://investor.vanguard.com/home/

ETF. Stock indexes, bonds.

https://www.bogleheads.org/

>> No.627532
File: 28 KB, 859x638, PWfvdvB.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>627297

everything you need to know

>> No.627619

>>627532
Just pointing out this image is outdated. The 401k contribution limit for 2015 and 2016 will be $18000.

You've got $10,800 a year OP and no expenses because you are living at home. You should be saving the vast majority of that.

First things first, 6 months of emergency funding. You have no expenses now but if you were suddenly cast out on your own you could expect to spend $4500 in six months. Start by saving that much as quickly as you can.

Next, get the full company match from your employers 401k if you are able.

Sounds like you have no debt so don't worry about the green box.

Save $5500 for an IRA and put that away where you can't touch it. You have spending problems and need to put as much money out of your own grasp as you can.

Finally, any money left should go into your 401k. You won't reach the limit so don't worry about your own investments for now.

You can still buy transformers and shit but you need a budget. Be a fucking responsible adult here. If I were in your shoes I'd budget no more than $800 a year for this purpose.

>> No.628020

>>627619
>Have no debt
Well, I do. And my current job doesn't have 401k, I just wasn't sure what that was so I mentioned it.

Just, let me see if I understand the order of things.

Step 1. About $4500 in emergency savings. I've got $1250 so far, so that should be managable to get even if I don't get a second job (which I probably will)
Step 2. Get off of debt with the highest interest rate. How much above the monthly amount should I pay?
Step 3. IRA fund of $5500. I'll ask about what that is later I suppose. Should I set it up while I'm paying off my debt or after?
Step 4. Get a job with a 401k. I'm trying to get into the local houston government job market, and I think they have 401k options. Any tips on that shit besides good luck?

>> No.628147

>>628020
The things are listed in order for a reason. There's not a lot of sense in doing one until you've completed (or made serious progress) towards the elements before it. Once you've got enough savings that you feel comfortable start paying down that debt as fast as you possibly can, put your whole paycheck into it if you have to.