[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 339 KB, 250x167, 1311626178002.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
620027 No.620027 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone here ever work as a call center rep? What am I getting myself into?

>> No.620029

>>620027
what kind of call center are we talking about?

i worked for approximately 4 days at a call center for my university soliciting donations from alumni and parents

it fucking sucked and i quit before the week ended.

>> No.620030

>>620027
soul sucking death. You will lose hit-points working in a call center. Don't do it anon, unless you are contemplating suicide.

>> No.620031

>>620027

Calls to you WILL be screened and recorded. Especially early on in your career/job. You can bet your supervisor will be listening in from time to time, so treat your customers with respect. You will probably be judged on a metric of how quickly you can handle a customer's problem and get to the next call. You will have no privacy and probably little free time to yourself.

I must say that it is not a job I would want.

>> No.620032

I do OP, luckily it is just an internship, but god damn this shit is dreadful, get the fuck out!

>> No.620034

>>620029
Bristol Meyers call center rep. Telemarketing, handling accounts, resolving problems, preparing shit.

the pay is real good to mea s a college student but ive heard these places are a nightmare

>> No.620043
File: 1.75 MB, 350x194, cryingdean.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>620031
this

there is a script you have to follow, tactics that they make you use, and you NEVER hang up unless the target does first.

my worst story

>be innauniversity
>trying to get donations
>i am assigned the alumni pool of targets
>supposedly easy marks as these people have donated before
>hit the start button, program starts to auto dial
>"ok, this isn't so bad"
>phone rings, some man picks up
>man: "hello?"
>me: "hello sir --insert script--- can i jew you for some shekels?"
>man: "are you kidding me right now? listen you couldn't have called at a worst time, my wife just had a miscarriage, is this anything important?"
>completely spilling my spaghetti at this point
>panicking, can't hang up, but this guy sounds really pissed
>look over to boss
>she is playing solitaire in her office not giving a single fuck about her job
>cut my losses
>"o-ok thank you sir! have a nice night"
>bullet dodged, will probably get reprimanded for hanging up, but better than trying to milk that poor bastard
>queue up my auto dialer again
>phone rings, another man picks up
>"hello sir! --script-- can i-"
>man: "YOU AGAIN? YOU JUST CALLED, LISTEN HERE YOU-"
>hang up immediately
>look that my auto dialer had accidentally called the same number again cause i forgot to input the command to skip that number
>immediately get up from my seat
>go back to my dorm room, turn on an episode of family guy and begin to cry/masturbate

>> No.620053

I got fired from a call center once, after a week of trying to sell newspapers of all things I just couldnt stop laughing as this guy chewed me out... turned out to be my boss doing a quality control test, I was supposed to hang up. Then I got called into his office and he started chewing me out some more and I couldnt stop laughing. told I had a 3 day suspension. I decided it was an easy $8/hr and showed up 3 days later and they fired me... oh well nothing of value lost.

>> No.620064

>>620053
>trying to sell newspapers of all things
what year was this

>> No.620175

>>620034

> telemarketing

I have to telemarket 2 hours per week and I HATE it. I am contemplating quitting, just for the simple fact that I hate those 2 hours so much.

everyone here is right man. it sucks dick.

unless you are going to make over 40k a year, that shit is NOT worth it. and even then, this is a last resort type job, like if you have no other choice.

>> No.620177

>>620043

> NEVER hang up

this is actually very bad advice. A great salesman won't suggest this tactic.

At our office we do the:

> Is this a bad time?
yeah it is
> Could I call you at a better time?
uh, yeah sure, how about ______

* time passes

> Hey ______ you might recall I called you on _____?
Oh hey man, yeah what's up?

It's a good tactic and builds a good repoire with the customer.

>> No.620217

I've been a call center rep during several low points in my life. bro, this job is shit. its utter and complete shit. its the god damn salt mines. its the most demoralizing, shitty job in the whole wide world.

I'm not trying to scare you I'm just preparing you.

every. single. person. you talk to.
will hate your guts.
you.
they will hate, you.
everyone.

inbound calls? they're calling because something broke or because a bureaucracy required them to order something unexpected and expensive, and they've been on hold a long time, and you're the first person they're talking to, so they're pissed off at YOU.

outbound? oh jesus. even if you're not spam, you're spam. calling to conduct market research surveys about chunky vs creamy peanut butter? no you're not. you're trying to sell something. even if you're not, that's what they ALL believe.

outbound market research for corporate stuff? jesus christ, you're the ONLY person that receptionists get to shit on, and they will shit on you so hard.

even outbound calls to inform hunters they got the tags they wanted, and they get to hunt. even then. initial contact is hatred, for you.

I've had people tell me to kill myself. I've had people beat their kids and make me listen to it because their kids didn't hang up on me. I've had someone blast an air horn into the phone trying to destroy my ear drum. (fortunately, it just turned into feedback, but the intention was clear).

and your supervisors are complete shit. they don't give a fuck about you. not one fuck.

everyone around you will be sick. its a fucking cess pool of disease and filth. the cubicles are swimming in others' germs. and most of your coworkers are bordering on poverty, so their hygiene is shit.

take the job. but look for new jobs every night when you get home. don't do what everyone else does, and let the shitty job get to you and drive you to drink when you get home. take the money, but force yourself to find something better as soon as you can.

>> No.620248

>>620217
my wife actually wins the prize for worst call center job of all possible call center jobs, ever.

she worked for AT&T. so, if deadbeats got way way way behind on their bills, and they tried to make an outbound phone call on their cell phones, the line would ring .. there they are, thinking they're calling their girlfriend Shirley to bitch about their boyfriend, or maybe a relative to freak out about mom being in the hospital with a heart attack. you know. whatever.

ring. ring. line's ringing as the customer makes the outbound phone call waiting for the other party to pick up. just like any normal phone call.

nope.
my wife would pick up.

"hello sir or madam, I represent AT&T, and would like to help restore service for your account. You are currently $400-something-bajillion dollars delinquent, will you be paying by card or would you like for us to automatically deduct this from your checking account?"

the fucking rage she heard.