[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 104 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
598505 No.598505 [Reply] [Original]

/biz/ I need your advice.

Ok, I'm a new engineer out of college. I've been with Toyota for about 2 years.

I got these two guys that are all big on 'a sense of urgency'

It is really starting to irk me. I know what they really mean, they think I'm slow or lazy. I'm neither, I'm respectful and calm.

They work by annoying the shit out of people until things are done. I layer things so people have time to get me what I need. Email one person, then while I wait for a reply, I work on something else, and so on and so forth.

I put a lot of work into stuff. I come in early. I leave late (they leave on the dot, btw). I work weekends. I come in to watch people do their jobs so I will be trained up ahead of time. I work on things from home.

I'm getting really tired of this shit. I work hard and put in a lot of time. I don't like being seen as an inferior employee because I treat people with respect and give them time.

If I wasn't so fresh out of school and wasn't getting paid well, I'd find another job. But as that is not the case, I don't know.

>> No.598509
File: 23 KB, 350x350, 1377719812128.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>598505
Sounds like you need to be looking in another direction. Also, stop putting in overtime, that shit never amounts to anything. Chances are those people giving you shit don't care how much you're actually working, so long as you APPEAR to be working. They're whip crackers, and that's what they do. They know no other way. It surprises me that some of these businesses are still profitable, and sometimes the problem isn't you, it's the company being poorly run.

>> No.598513

>>598509

Thanks. I may have an opportunity to move to a different area soon.

>> No.598518

If they aren't your superiors, tell them to take a hike.

From what I understand Japan has this really bizarre business culture, I'm not sure if that has rubbed off on the entire company, but really if you're getting the work done and putting in the hours they shouldn't fault you.

PS, put a turbo on the Toyota 86.

>> No.598530

>>598518
>If they aren't your superiors,

they both are

>> No.598534

>>598505
so when you say you've been with toyota for two years and are fresh out of school, do you mean you graduated two years ago or have been working for them before you graduated?

if you have been working for them full time for 2 years it really shouldn't be difficult to find another job.

>> No.598544

>>598505
Stop giving a shit. The person you need to worry about is your boss. If she/he is happy with you, screw your cow-orkers. Ask your boss for his/her honest opinion of your work, and if he is good with it, be happy. If she/he isn't, ask what you can do to improve them. If you need more, get feed back from everyone you work with. I can almost guarantee you, if what you wrote is true, you'll probably get the best feed back. Hell, does your company have a review system? If so, ask for feed back from everyone, not just the two tards.

>> No.598573

>>598544
>they both are

>> No.598624

Read the 48 Laws of Power and learn how to deal with people.

>> No.599377

>>598624

you got any more shitty self help books to recommend? How about 'the secret' ?

>> No.599386

>>599377
Kek.

>> No.599432

>>598505

fuck this gay shit, faggots like your bosses kill the joy at a company and in turn drive it into the ground. Here's some ideas:

1) look for a new job
2) Talk to the people above your superiors, explain the situation and see what they say
3) See if you can get transferred to another department.

I have two bosses. One is pretty laid back in terms of expectations, he rarely tells me what to do.

The other is a little more proactive and always wants people to be urgently performing.

The first guy makes me want to do a good job and enjoy work more, the second guy makes me want to seek out another career.

>> No.600119

>>599432

Man so much this. Last boss was so relaxed and always asking if he could help. I wanted to do good just to make him happy and do my part. New boss is just a nag. I don't even want to talk to him because I'm worried he'll just nag me or give me something to do that gets in the way of the first thing he asked for.

>> No.600122

>>598505
>>598513
>>598530
>>598573
>>599377

Toyota follows industrial engineering tenants from A-Z. This applies to their production line in factories as well as in the back-end offices in white collar positions. The fact that they leave dead on the dot when they're supposed to is proof.

Think of it this way - they consider the work allotted to you and your fellow co-workers as being the same amount (it might not be but they think of it as being equal) and hence, they want to ensure you don't pull any overtime and get it done in the limited hours that you're supposed to be at work. If you need more time to function in the same capacity as others are doing without overtime, then you're inefficient.

Its a different system to adopt to and a different corporate culture but either put up or get out.

>> No.600135

>>600122

Maybe you should suck my big American penis.

>> No.600179

>>599432
>talk to the people above your superiors
>overstepping the chain of command
>on a nip company
say hello to employment agencies.

>> No.600190

>>600179

sometimes it can be done tactfully.

Like if an exec has an underling that he doesn't like, but is unable to fire, that exec can make your life easier by transferring you or transferring the dickhead.

but yeah, you have to be absolutely sure you're speaking in confidence and that the exec you're talking to shares your views.

>> No.600203

>>598505
Reading your story is like deja vu for me.

I worked for an automotive company for a number of years fresh after graduating. The environment is fast paced. You need to be clear on how you're being accessed and create a positive perception of yourself to upper management. Don't indulge in darker thoughts such as "these guys think I'm slow", just get on with it and complete your tasks AND get confirmation of your work from senior management during appraisals. Speaking of which, how many appraisals have you had?
Are these two annoying guys in senior management? And how long have they been working in Toyota?

>> No.600406

>>600203
>Speaking of which, how many appraisals have you had?
>Are these two annoying guys in senior management? And how long have they been working in Toyota?

One is the senior process control engineer, and the other is the head of the process control group.

I don't really work for Toyota, But I work at a car plant in the US. Each plant has only so much process control guys, sooooo, I'm not going to say which brand I work for on 4chan

>> No.600469

England with 3 years under my belt here, wore as a production engineer. I get this same shirt everyday, so I'm upping and leaving in march. My job is to treat floor workers as numbers and resources, so I've no doubt that management do the same. You owe a corporation nothing.

>> No.600473

>>600469
Auto correct being spasticated.
* eng
* work
* shit

>> No.600496

just continue to calmly do your job. hysterical people just piss people off and will not make it

>> No.601319

>>600122
or they could just be busy-bodies. there's people who i don't even bother responding to until the last hour or two of work because their problems seem to solve themselves. what tenants are you talking about, some sigma 6 stuff?

it's important to give the appearance of being busy but work shouldn't be stressful just to look like you're some go-getter

>> No.602685

Came in this weekend, to learn how to be the weekend on call process control guy.

Man, how lack of Urgency of me.

I half way think this is a con. Riddle off some vague business buzz word and let me fill in the blank on what is wrong.

>> No.602694

>>598505
Tell your boss that they annoy you AND tell then straight-up that you don't like them and if if it wasnt for the job, you'd never want to be in their presence.

>> No.602716

>>602694

this is horrible advice