[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 20 KB, 375x500, 1415422919011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
596755 No.596755 [Reply] [Original]

Morning, niggers. I'm back. Sorry for the hiatus. Work took over my life for a spell there. I could explain more, but we had a ton of clients and I was handed more responsibilities along with a director for the building.

Anyway, for those that don't know, I did a thread about a month ago on sales. Helped some anons out. On me: I'm a 23 year old college dropout working as a timeshare salesman. I make good money, and apart from the last few weeks, I generally work 30 hour weeks.

If any anons need help with sales or have questions about my job, ask away.

>> No.596756

>>596755
>we had a ton of clients and I was handed more responsibilities along with a director for the building.

Along with a new director.* Guy rules with an iron fist.

>> No.596771

Story bump

>Training new girl
>Have to visit a unit and so first half of pitch in there
>Hop in the car. Small talk on way up
>Walk in. It's a middle Eastern woman in a hijab with her eldest son and his wife.
>No husband
>I know it's going nowhere, but have to show her what to do
>Just bullshit with people
>Mother doesn't speak English well
>I comment on hookah
>Son offers to pack it
>No time
>Tell them I'm the regional service director and I'm training my replacement
>Limp through survey
>"Oh yeah, we need 20 referrals "
>They fucking do it
>Malakum salaam
>Leaving
>"Are you really the regional trainer?'
>"Fuck no. And Tom isn't head of member services."
>Genuine shock on her face

She acclimated to that sort of thing quickly. Told her if she ever gets a dead end like that, just milk it for referrals.

>> No.596772

>>596771
I don't get half of what you just said

>> No.596773

>>596772
it's salespeak
incomprehensible, jewish jargon

>> No.596774

>>596755
Can you explain a bit about what "referrals" are for us non-sales people?

>> No.596775

>>596772
New person was shadowing me. We need to get a certain amount of names and phone numbers from clients or work will take a portion of our bonus check. Said I had a different position to make it seem like I wasn't a salesman as they generally aren't appreciated. New girl was shocked I lied. I then told her the guy she frequently shadows does the same thing.

>>596773
I'm a good goy.

>> No.596777

Collections guy here. Welcome back. You were surely missed by many. Will be lurking casually. Bring on the stories and insight.

>> No.596779

>>596775
I still don't get it. Why ask people for names and numbers when you have the Internet and phone books?

>> No.596781

>>596755
do people really buy timeshares these days? I fail to see the appeal.

>> No.596782

>>596779
to show the boss-man that your trip wasn't a complete waste of time.

>> No.596783

>>596755

Do you take part in assessing properties for timeshare eligibility? Do you think it is more reliable to have a property as a timeshare than it is to rent it out to a single tenant?

>> No.596786

>>596777
Thanks dude.

>>596779
Cold calling is largely fruitless with the advent of the DNC list. Also, success rates jump when a marketer is able to say, "Your friend XXX said we should contact you."

>>596781
Millions of families own them. Odds are you know several people with one. It saves money and allows you to stay in nicer places than usual. (In theory)

>> No.596792

>>596783
No. But turning a property into a timeshare is very profitable if you can build some cheap, 2 bedroom condos. Whereas you might rent that out for $1,000 a month as a primary residence, timeshare gives you the ability to sell it 50 times and then collect what's called a maintenance fee yearly.

I build one unit. It's a two bed, two bath little bungalow. I sell each week of a year at $10,000. (You can't sell all as you need it closed for maintenance at some point). Then I collect $600 a year from the people who have already bought. I sell every unit and receive $500,000. I then collect $30,000 a year in perpetuity.

It's just a bitch to sell them. That's why timeshare salesmen are paid more than any other salespeople barring a few exceptions.

>> No.596793
File: 400 KB, 600x600, i_s_h_y_g_d_d_t__by_bongwater_bandit-d6st26q.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>grow up poor
>parents finally scrap together cash to buy a house in 2004
>be 17
>last of 4 children
>two had moved out
>other sister can't hold a job
>she permaleaches
>parents buy 4 bedroom 550k house
>on 150k combined income
>in their 50's
>with no retirement
>no security funds
>no equity holdings
>no college degrees
>3% down payment
>idonteven.jpg
>move out to self finance college
>turn our rooms into useless personal caves and money pits
>marriage deteriorates
>decide to go to hawaii to spice things up
>come back with a timeshare they spent five figures on with a home equity loan
>mfw

They later divorced and lost everything. Man my parents are nice people, but they had it coming.

>my mom's face when she has to pay my dad alimony after he lost his job
>priceless

>> No.596796

>>596786
how is it better than "home exchange" or p2p renting online or even couch surfing?

no need for timeshares - just book a place where you want to stay in advance. easy.

>> No.596798

>>596792
so somebody pays 10,6k for a property which they can use a week out of a year??? this is fucking madness.

>> No.596800

>>596796
Because a very intelligent and convincing salesperson told you so. He liked all the same music as you, was funny, had great stories, and even fought to get you a good deal. Plus, you own this and can pass it down to your kids. How could you not do it?

Those are easy objections to overcome. I actually convinced someone AirBnB was a scam when I worked as a frontline sales rep.

>> No.596801

>>596793
good thing they have 4 kids who will take care of them in their old age... right anon? right?

>> No.596803

>>596798
Eh. Those same people were spending about $1,000 a year in hotels anyway. There's a return on your investment, but it's mostly way down the line and benefits your kids. It's an emotional sell.

>> No.596804

I missed the original thread - how much do you do in commissions in a year Anon?

>> No.596805

>>596798
shit,m they buy and own the property for 10k, get access for a week in a year and pay 600 every year...
still a shitty deal - some drunk leaves shit covered walls on sunday, you're there monday morning...

>>596800
>AirBnB was a scam
so you prey on the stupid?

>> No.596806

>>596804
It's my first year. I'm paid 100% on commissions. I made $25,000 this month and $9,000 the month prior.

>>596805
The have housekeeping m8. And not the stupid. You could more than likely be convinced to buy one. You're very analytical. I actually preyed on people like yourself as I can talk numbers in a way that makes this seem like an investment.

>> No.596807

>>596806
First year? Fuck it I'm out of this thread. Not interested in hearing anything from anyone who is in their first year of doing anything.

>> No.596810

>>596807
8 months in. The average tenure of a salesperson is about two months. We deal in dog years. You're entitled to your opinion, but dismissing me due to what you perceive to be a lack of experience is foolhardy.

Timeshare sales are known widely as the Superbowl of sales. Top performers are often poached to work in other sectors as salespeople. Surprisingly enough, most top reps that don't want a career in the industry end up on Wall Street.

Be dismissive all you want, but my income is a reflection of my skills.

>> No.596814

>>596810
10,000 hours kiddo. 10,000 hours to know what you're doing. Read Gladwell.

>> No.596831

>>596814
I'm not here to argue. I'm here to help people with sales questions or answer questions about my industry. If you read the old thread, I managed to help quite a few anons. Sales draws upon cumulative life experience. The skill comes from learning how to channel it and when to use it. I've never read Outliers, nor do I plan on it.

I know what I'm doing. I'm not as good as I can or will be, but I'm good. Don't fret.

>> No.596838

>>596831
what were you studying before you dropped out? why don't you go into real estate?

did you whiten your teeth?

>> No.596843

>>596838
Double major in English and business.

This technically is real estate. The money is actually better in timeshare. Most real estate agents know it. Every summer a handful of real estate agents try their hand at timeshare. They usually fail pretty hard.

And no. My teeth are pretty jacked up due to a generic abnormality. I'm probably going for a full mouth of implants in a few months. I just don't know if I can happily drop $15k in my mouth.

>> No.596959

Story that should give you an idea about the culture in the timeshare industry.

This is far and away my best month, so there was a bit of chatter among my managers, the director, and my trainer as to what I would do with the money.

>Walk out clients after writing $25,000 deal
>Places my total volume for the month into new commission bracket
>Manger tells me to look at sales board and commission structure
>I realize that I just made more money this month than I have in my life
>Manager pulls out a calculator and tells me exactly how much
>"Anon, you're getting a bonus check for $15,000 this month. What're you gonna do with it?"
>"Fuck man. I don't know."
>Director comes in
>"Buddy. What are you gonna do with it? Gonna grab some Gucci for the feet? Think you could wear a g on your toes?"
>There are a ton of nigger-rich people in timeshare
>Senior rep tells me to take on some debt so I'm pressured to sell more next month
>Eventually tell everyone I'm buying a nice bottle of bourbon, maxing out my IRA for the year, and investing the rest
>Roundly called a faggot for the next two days

>Come in after weekend and say I'm getting a Porsche
>Cheers all around
>I'm not buying a fucking Porsche

>> No.596964

looking to get into sales. What type of sales should I try to start with?

>> No.596973

>>596964
Anything really. Here's a list of the shit people I work with sold prior: mortgage notes, IT staffing, knives, vacuums, cosmetic surgery, cars, insurance, refinancing, and securities.

Just start wherever you can if you only want experience. No matter what, you'll learn and have fun. Look for jobs that are 100% commission, as they have the highest earning potential and are often the hardest items to sell. Just be wary of scams.

>> No.596994

>>596973
>cosmetic surgery
wonder how that sales pitch goes
"um hi I was referred to you by your ex..."

>> No.597116

>>596994
Nah. People inquired on the back of beauty magazines and she'd have to call back to set up a consultation with a doctor for something like $300.

>> No.597521

>>597116
Great thread. As a successful salesperson, do you have any simple tips that most people don't know about, but would benefit them a lot in their day to day lives?

>> No.597534

>>596755
I'm applying for a position selling technology at a big chain store. Anything I should know about?? In my current job I'm consistently top 3-5 in our district upselling competitions.

>> No.597571

>>597534
selling house appliances in Wallmart?

>> No.597575

>>597571
Computers, tv's and hifi at Harvey Norman (ausfag)

>> No.597593

>>596810
>timeshares are known as the superbowl of sales

Lol what? I'm an insurance salesman (I'm 19 and I make 100K per year), people need insurance, they don't need shitty timeshares. Everyone I've met who owns one has regretted it.

Also insurance > timeshares. I have to sell them something they can't smell, touch, see, feel. I'm selling a state of mind.

3/10 slightly rustled for some reason.

>> No.597595

>>597593
how can i get into insurance sales?

>>596843
any certain type of business? or just general business

>> No.597605

>>597593
>people need insurance, they don't need shitty timeshares
so which one is a harder sell - something you don't need or something you do need?

100k a year... how many hours? what is the pay based on?

>> No.597611

man, salesmen truly are scum

>> No.597612

>>597521
Never ask questions with a one word answer. They're the best way to get a no. When it comes down to it, don't be afraid to ask the big question: Want it? The worst thing that could possibly happen is they say no. Also, people want what they can't have more than anything else.

>>597534
Assumptive language would be the biggest thing as I'm guessing you mostly have to move insurance and warranties.

>>597593
Insurance is an inherently easier sale simply because people need it, there's a clear financial benefit, and your fear of loss motivators are built right in. I sell an intangible "asset" with an inherently tarnished reputation. That attitude you have towards timeshare is exactly what every client has. That's why we're at the pinnacle of sales; it's fucking difficult to sell them. It's not because we have something everyone needs. I won't get into a salary pissing match as it's crass. Some reps at my site make minimum wage; some make $30-40k a month. I work with former insurance salespeople. Our earning potential is higher and the product is harder to move. I will give you the caveat that yours is more useful.

>>597595
Nah. It was very general and leaning towards supply chain. Dropped out before I really specialized.

>> No.597614

>>597611
You would be surprised by how many you interact with in a given day. Most are just so bad you don't realize they're selling anything. Some are forward enough that you know they're salesmen. The good ones will actually have you thank them as you spend your money.

We're a vital part of a capitalist economy. Without us, you'd have no clue what to spend your hard earned monies on.

>> No.597626

>>597614

>Without us, you'd have no clue what to spend your hard earned monies on.

haha, joke's on you. half of my paycheck automatically goes to vanguard.

keep america rolling though!

>> No.597643

What advice would you give someone going to uni for sales? How hard do you have to work? Skills to have?

>> No.597652

>>597612
>never ask questions with a one word answer
followed immediately by
>Ask: Want it?

It helps if you don't contradict yourself immediately.

>> No.597767

>>597652
Eventually. In the beginning, you never ask anything they can say no to. If you're going to ask a yes or no question, it should be redundant. It's very hard subconsciously to say yes to someone for thirty minutes then say no.

The most important question you can ask is "Why?". The most important word you can say is their name. I mention not being afraid to ask a buying question because it's the biggest mistake I see from new people; they're afraid to ask for someone else's money.

>> No.597771

>>597643
I'm surprised you can go to college for sales. You sound British. I'll level with you, I hate trying to sell to Europeans. The English are okay, but there's a different sensibility that you guys have, and it's a pain to work with sometimes.

As far as skills are concerned, be sociable. Learn how to get people to like you quickly and often. If you can't feel comfortable hugging your client after an hour, they're not going to buy from you.

I work pretty damn hard. This is the most exhausting job I've ever had, but I'm only on the click for thirty hours. Mental fatigue is no joke. I practice for a solid two hours minimum per night. Pitching myself, random bar people, or my friends. You have to make whatever you end up selling your life for a little while. When I first got this job, I didn't go out or do anything fun for two months. I just sat at home, crafted my pitch, and learned my product.

>>597626
Good. I was being sarcastic, anon. The attitude that salesmen are scum is pretty pervasive. Water off a duck's back at this point.

>> No.597784

>>597771
walk us through your average pitch? you can just record on vocaroo and post a link here if too lazy to write.

>> No.597786

>>597784
It's about 90 minutes, anon. I can do an opener, though. I'm also doing this on a phone. I'll get on my laptop in a little bit and do it for you.

>> No.597788

>>597786
ok, cool. I'll just lurk then

>> No.598023

>>597788
I'm drinking for New Year's already. I'll hit the thread tomorrow

>> No.598078

>>598023
you might want a tripcode because of your id changing all the time. or not, it's up to you

>> No.598111

>>598078
I'll trip when I get back home. I try to avoid tripping out of humility and fear of anons' autism.