[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 161 KB, 900x900, silver.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
58238201 No.58238201 [Reply] [Original]

I called my local coin dealer and he basically said he never gets bars in. All he had was coins.

Is there anywhere you can go to spend like $15k on silver?

>> No.58238297 [DELETED] 

>>58238201
most areas have "silver treasuries" (in the 50 states) usually in more state-level government buildings. google that in your area

>> No.58238349

>>58238201
Sweety, it's called a special order. Your LCS can get 100oz bars at literally spot from a wholesaler, and flip them to you for next to nothing. Just let him know what you want and your time frame and he will probably work with you for a small cut of profit.

>> No.58238406

>>58238349
Thanks Desu <3

To be honest the coin dealer seemed like kind of a useless dick so I might just work with somebody else.

Is it possible I can just call the wholesaler myself and make a huge order?

>> No.58238777

>>58238297
I can't find one for my state.

>> No.58239097

>>58238201
>15k on silver
600 ounces is no problem at all for anybody
I'm trying to buy 300 kilograms it's not as simple as that but even that is doable.

>> No.58239525

>>58239097
But what i'm asking is how do you do it without having to pay a stupid amount of markup?

I like rounds but I don't want to pay a $4 markup per coin because then I'll almost never get my value back. So the natural answer is bars, but then you have to pay shipping if you're buying it online.

>> No.58239746

>>58239525
The more you buy the less you pay, and the more you have a relationship with an LCS, the more they can give you a deal because you're a repeat customer and give them more income over time.

Just get your hands on silver. Don't worry about bars or coins or whatever, just the actual metal. I mean maybe avoid scrap because it's tough for to sell back to anyone who isn't a scrapper, but you can get junk coins or the lowest premium deals etc. Call around in person, don't use the websites. Oftentimes it's difficult or annoying to update the websites so they won't, and the prices on there are like a fishing line in the water waiting for fish, it's easy to keep the price on the sites high. Call in person, talk to them over the phone and ask.
Also the more out of the way and in a smaller population zone the better your deal.
I go to a town of less than 10000 people and buy at a very popular LCS (in Niagara Canada) that Americans go to. He sells me silver for 1% now.

>> No.58240515

>>58238406
>Is it possible I can just call the wholesaler myself and make a huge order?
You need an account with them and that usually requires a metals dealers license. You can find $15k deals for investment grade silver at Monument Metals, or other midsized online retailers. It's incredibly important to shop around, and it's also important to know that buying large 100oz bars will have less premium up front, but be less liquid if trying to convert back to cash. I like the cheapest sovereign minted coins you can find for large investment purchases. Rounds are fine too, albeit slightly less liquid. 10oz bars are still quite liquid- a good balance for weight. 100oz bars are heavy, and make a great $2500 doorstop.

>> No.58240591

>>58240515
I don't want to buy one big brick. I want to buy an assload of bars and/or rounds.

Is this doable without getting raped on premiums / shipping?

>> No.58241245

>>58240591
https://findbullionprices.com/
If you want the absolute best deal, it helps to keep your ear to the ground with your local coin guys and an eye on online deals. The best deals by far are private sales. Think about it, coin and pawn shops offer sellers 50-70% of spot for much of their PMs, and people still sell it to them. There can be some decent deals online, but you have to find them and time them. I reccomend keeping a long time preference wrt metals purchases. It's not something you want to bother purchasing at retail and flip the next day, although you could likely net 1-3% doing so. Private sales on the buy help you start in a solid position out of the gate, but they also open you up to cointerfeits. Let me or /pmg/ know if you have any specific questions.

>> No.58242349

>>58241245
I feel like I'm just getting fucked.

I want to buy a ton of silver. Like a ton of bars or coins.

If I walk in there with 15k, I should be able to reduce the shipping / premium for >>58241245
some of this stuff but it seems like everybody wants me to buy a $25 bar at $4 premium with $1 shipping and handling.

I mean silver isn't really an investment to begin with so I feel like I'm just fucking myself ovver here

>> No.58242635

>>58242349
All I'll say is that if some people are selling at 50% of spot, someone is buying at 50% of spot. Likewise if someone is buying at 10% over spot, someone has to sell at 10% over spot. There's a lot of room for professionals to arbitrage in between. Ask yourself how much time you want to put in to getting a good deal, and how liquid the product is that you're purchasing. This is a game that's been around since the dawn of civilization.

>> No.58242693

>>58238201
you are being stupid. in a doom scenario when silver coins might be useful what will you do ? carry 15 one kilo bars? just get small gold coins if you aren't a retard. and a good pistol+ammo. much more valuable than silver bars in a SHTF scenario.

>> No.58242743

>>58242693
Anon we're investing not prepping

>> No.58242814

>>58242743
you are dumb then. I bought silver 4 years ago and it was the worst investment i ever made. buying literally anything else would have been a better investment. luckelny i only got 20 coins. for some 500 euros.

>> No.58242827

>>58242635
>This is a game that's been around since the dawn of civilization.

Yeah I don't know dude. Everybody talks a big game with commodities until it's time to liquidate.

To make matters worse, silver isn't an investment. It doesn't really go up in value (although it goes up in dollars). It's basically like putting your money in a time capsule to hedge your wealth against inflation.

The challenge is everything is online now, there's dealers who make a living out of doing it, there's premiums, there's shipping now because almost everything is online -- it really just seems like a bunch of Glenn Beck fans getting fucked buying stuff and jumping up and down like monkeys when the price goes up not realizing it's because the dollar is devalued.

FWIW I used to own like $20,000 in firearms and ammunition. As soon as I tried to liquidate some of it, I suddenly realized how difficult it was. Everybody wanted a premium to list my product online. If I went to sell at a gun show I had to pay for a table. Dealers were offering 50% of what they're worth. Selling private sale was a huge pain in the ass.

>>58242693
Thank you for proving my point. Preppers are fucking retarded. If shtf, nobody is going to want your silver because there's no way to validate it's worth anything.

>>58242814
Silver (or any precious metal) isn't an investment.

>> No.58242830

>>58242693
>ctrl+f
>doom scenerio
Funny. Only your post mentions that. Almost like you're strawmanning. Silver is money. Silver is the tech industry. Silver is rare and depleting in production YoY for many years now. It's not just doom insurance. But you keep fudding. Better luck next time.

>> No.58242889
File: 168 KB, 989x533, papersilver3-31-24.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>58242827
>Silver (or any precious metal) isn't an investment.
I politely disagree my friend.

>> No.58242940

>>58242889
>I politely disagree my friend.

Please explain why the price of gold goes up every year but the value of gold has been the same since the 1970s.

>> No.58243003

>>58238201
Just get 15k of gold, unless you believe the whole "silver in an undervalued assest" thing.

>> No.58243134

>>58242827
>Silver (or any precious metal) isn't an investment.
i know. i found out when i bought and waited 4 years and every other thing went up atleast 100pct but silver is up like 20ppct. it didn't even beat inflation.

>> No.58243160

>>58242940
Gold isn't silver. Silver is listed as a strategic metal by the US Government due to a myriad of industrial uses. It's basically copper on steroids- used for the finest and most important electrical applications. Solar panels. Chips. Batteries. It's absolute, unadulterated king in all classes. See that paper ratio? That's surpression. They keep the price low to keep it's industrial usage high. You want to buy it up and corner the market? They will literally bankrupt and/or kill you. See:Hunt Bros. You want to take delivery from the Comex? They will make you jump through so many legal hurdles. You will never get weight from them if you're not in industry. It's clear as day to those that see.

>> No.58243173

>>58242830
silver has been the shittiest of shit buys i ever did. its better to have a few thousand $ worth of small gold coins. but it should be a small part of your portfolio. and don't expect to ever use it either.

>> No.58243204

>>58243160
>See that paper ratio? That's surpression.
yeah, and it will be surpressed for decades more. you aern't gonna be rich cause you hold some silver. lmao.

>> No.58243273

>>58243173
>Why is this industrial commodity that is manipulated lower for the security of the United States not mooning like it should be?
Please, take a look outside the box. Don't just accept what the YT talking heads are telling you. Think.

>> No.58243583

.>>58243160
>. Silver is listed as a strategic metal by the US Government due to a myriad of industrial uses

True, silver has uses in tech and industry which are probably under-valued at this point, but inferring that means it's necessarily going to go up significantly in your lifetime is a huge leap of faith. Moreover, it's an even larger leap to assume it's going to outperform traditional investments like SPY or Voo (which return like, 10% a year).

>. It's absolute, unadulterated king in all classes. See that paper ratio? That's surpression

No offense but that's stupid.

>See:Hunt Bros

I have. They basically artificially inflated the market for a little while and didn't sell in time

>>58243173
basically what i'm expecting. At least with silver there are industrial uses so it might go up. It'll also be cool to have a chest of rounds / bars in my house so when I die some kid literally finds a treasure chest. Beyond that, it's not really worth a whole lot..

>>58243204
>you aern't gonna be rich cause you hold some silver.

Basically this

>>Why is this industrial commodity that is manipulated lower for the security of the United States not mooning like it should be?

What's your goal? To sit on a bunch of silver and 'prove" everybody wrong with your special knowledge? You're just taking a leap of faith. I'm not saying that makes you stupid or anything, but if you just put like 15% of your wage in a Roth IRA / 401k / Traditional IRA you'd retire with over $4 million dollars at age 65 on $60k a year.

If you want to play with silver and it goes up like you say it will, then you have the challenge of selling it. I don't know if you've ever tried to sell a commodity before but it's a royal pain in the neck.

>> No.58244632

>>58243583
>It'll also be cool to have a chest of rounds / bars in my house so when I die some kid literally finds a treasure chest. Beyond that, it's not really worth a whole lot..
Go to a coin auction and buy them some coins then. Live, in person. Online. They're all over the place. You can sometimes get coins under spot if you do your research ahead of time.

>> No.58245309

>>58243583
>See:Hunt Bros
>I have. They basically artificially inflated the market for a little while and didn't sell in time

Just a correction for any newfags that don't know. The Hunt Brothers, effectively billionaires in the 1980s, cornered the silver market by buying up all the supply and the price went to $50/oz. The FTC stepped in a forced them to only be able to sell, effectively catering the price and bankrupting them. Feddies can hand wave it away all they want, but it's obviously a massive tell that they need cheap silver to keep American industry safeguarded. When the paper surpression ends, and it will end, silver will see the largest correction in the history of histories wrt PMs.

>> No.58247366

>>58245309
>When the paper surpression ends, and it will end, silver will see the largest correction in the history of histories wrt PMs.
yeah yeah or they just supress the price for another 200 years and then silver becomes irrelevant as new tech uses other stuff.

>> No.58247400

>>58238201
Yes

>> No.58250984
File: 63 KB, 600x600, poO903d1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>local coin dealer
>$15k on silver

honestly i'll never get how y'all got into this or how does it work but that's fine
i've got a lot of weird shit on my wallet like loaf cat that explaining to people or other retards in the crypto space results in a pain in the ass

Good luck you fucks, if you make profit out of it, make a post and i might check it out if i'm feeling like it