[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 134 KB, 978x1094, smoker.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
57663972 No.57663972 [Reply] [Original]

I'm going to start looking for my first full time job but I don't know how to explain my patchy past and lack of experience.
I'm mid 20s and spent 6 years doing a three year business related bachelors degree, mostly part time at the end, and graduated over six months ago. Basically I got so sick of it, was failing subjects and took a semester off at one point. During that time and since graduation I've just been doing basic part time shift work in construction, retail, really basic jobs.
I don't know what I should say to interviewers when they ask why I took so long, why I'm only now looking for a job, and how to oversell my lack of experience.
What should I do? I'm thinking of being somewhat honest and saying that I wasn't sure my degree was right for me, that I love doing the job I'm doing now but I want to finally utilise my degree and actually progress in a real professional field. I can come across as a smart and measured person so I'm just hoping someone can take the bait. I can blame some of the dodgy university stuff on covid campus shutdowns as well.
Any thoughts?

>> No.57664030

>can you explain this gap in your resume?
No, I signed and nda.

>> No.57664040

>>57663972
Do insurnace

>> No.57664066

>>57663972
Why not just lie and say you completed it in 4 years, just change the date

>> No.57664086

Say you're a faggot and spent that time having lots and lots of gay homo sex, you'll get DEI points too

>> No.57664307

>>57663972
I just started a new job last week after a couple months out of work and having been fired for misconduct at my last job. I'd left a 2-year position on good terms to take a higher-paying gig that was horrible, hated it, and immediately began blowing the place off, sending out applications, and I left it off my resume entirely. So my resume reads as having been out of work since October. Instead of November.

In all my interviews I'm shocked how little it came up. I was never grilled on it, many times it never came up at all, and when it did, it was usually for practical concerns related to when I'd be available to start - to give 2 weeks or not to give 2 weeks. Nothing much more than "I'm currently seeking employment".

You're psyching yourself out, Anon. Keep anything relevant to the current position but don't bother trying to fill the gap with work experience that's not relevant to what you're applying for. Definitely don't do the over-honest thing about how you were adrift and second-guessing your career path.

6 months isn't even very long post-graduation for a job hunt. Emphasize your recent education, leave any irrelevant bullshit jobs off the resume, and when they ask you about what you've been doing lately since graduation you can casually mention you've been doing part-time work while seeking the right opportunity to open the next phase of your career. idk, something like that. You don't need to cop to the fact that you haven't been applying yourself until just now, for all they know you're in a position to be extremely choosy about your next step and aren't in any desperate hurry to take the first shitty offer that comes along. If they press you on what you mean by "part-time", you can brush it off by saying it's not relevant to the position/your education and just to meet expenses while you seek blah blah blah and so on. It's really a waste of their time to even give more detail than that because it is, truly, not relevant.

>> No.57664354
File: 2.02 MB, 1618x1154, 1675472257479138.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>57664307
I'm rambling but who cares anyways.

Just keep the focus on the educational experience you have and whatever's relevant to the position (what kind of positions are you applying for? what is your educational background?). Honestly I'm the last person who should give advice but I'm pretty sure I'm correct here for all but an extremely serious, technical career where you are either expected to be a mid-career senior, or are one of 10,000 hordes of Jeets scrambling for a decently-paid entry-level position.

If you're mid-20's, spent your early 20's getting an education relevant to the position you're applying for, and graduated only 6 months ago, you are basically in just a bog-standard "post-graduation job hunt". The details which you believe make your situation uniquely-difficult are irrelevant. Post-grad job hunt sucks but it's not gonna suck any more or less for you, just the normal amount.

Good luck and Godspeed. Make us proud out there, boyo.

>> No.57664379

>>57663972
just lie no one cares and everyone else lies so they assume your resume is a lie even if it's real

>> No.57665016

Just blame COVID.