[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 98 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault-4004896715.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
57300177 No.57300177 [Reply] [Original]

is being a dj good business

>> No.57300204

If you're a girl you can do the most basic shit and get decent paid gigs right away. If you're a guy you have no chance and should just do it as a minor hobby occasionally to look cool.

>> No.57300309

>>57300177
If you're a good looking girl doing literally anything is good business

>> No.57300334

>>57300309
this

>> No.57300342

>>57300177
no

>> No.57300359

>>57300177
if you're an incredible bullshitter, extremely extroverted and attractive? sure.

>> No.57300460

>>57300177
For real though all memes aside what do these people actually do? I see them do the knobs and little slidey things and the music stays the same.

>> No.57300519

>>57300460
open spotify in google chrome and hit play

>> No.57300548

Nope, at best you do local gigs for barely anything and get someone's grandma give you a gum job at a 65th bday party.

>> No.57300736
File: 70 KB, 415x602, 1624115538417.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is this Galia Benartzi new job after Bancor went belly up?!

>> No.57300799

>>57300177
of course it's not a good business. but if you truly love it and can turn it into a living then by all means do it. you won't make as much money but you will be happier and more interesting than 98% of people out there. but if you spend your twenties doing it and decide in your thirties that it's no longer for you. then you're fucked.

>> No.57300854

My girl does it maybe twice a year. She organizes goth events, passes out flyers, finds a place, and brings in other djs and stuff. Last event she made like $300. It’s more about making a goth scene that’s local than making money.

>> No.57300946
File: 982 KB, 257x320, IMG_5186.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.57301287

>>57300177
If you're a producer, is there good money in actually DJ-ing live?
I make some dance music myself, but have no idea how to actually perform.

>> No.57301316

>>57301287
>but have no idea how to actually perform
do what this guy does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ll6P-oWMyM

>> No.57301343

>>57301316
kek that's just the main volume knob he's cranking, isn't it?

I was thinking about getting one of those controllers with a huge square full of buttons with lights to show the notes that are part of the scale, just to invent some random melodies live on stage without actually needing to know music theory.
Not sure if anyone on /biz/ will have any idea what the fuck I'm even talking about.

>> No.57301351

>>57301343
I mean, there has to be real money in live performance if all those bigshot DJs are still out there grinding live despite having major radio hits to their name.

>> No.57301353

>>57300177
Women dj’s are roasted up whores that make normal women with a triple digit body count seem virginal

>> No.57301365

>>57300946
What is going on in this gif

>> No.57301395

>>57300204
basically this. I DJ every Saturday at a local bar and it's great for a social life and it's a lot of fun to craft mixes and hunt new music, but it's horrible for making money. Most guys that "make a living" from it are secretly drug dealers or work a part time min wage job elsewhere, or they're trust fund kids. The girls are way more likely to make money without being talented, but that's if they find some guy or agency to manage everything for them, and they probably have to suck dick left and right just for the opportunity.

>> No.57301397

>>57301365
shes djing

>> No.57301407

>>57301397
Cmon now tell me

>> No.57301430

>>57300460
They mostly just fuck with sound and amp settings that actual professionals put together. Some of the biggest losers I’ve ever met were aspiring DJs or Soundcloud producers. Learn an actual instrument.

>> No.57301473

-lots of people living on mommy and daddys dime to be in the dj world, its like rich kids at corporate jobs but this isnt a corporate job lol

- random israeli or zionist connections all the time

-cancel culture is suuuuper normal and a passtime to them they love jumping on people

-a lot have STDs or STIs. Diplo is known to spread HIV. look it up on twitter

-most people cant pass $400 a night at public local gigs. in any city. you have to have tons of appeal and connections to owners/leverage and a straight man just does nottt have that

>> No.57301541

>>57301407
nerve gas

>> No.57301546
File: 62 KB, 823x531, 71v0vyjn39m81.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>57300309
>>57300334
those good looking girls (CDW, etc) are all business entities in which the masterminds are men.
Men came up with the plan, men make the music, men even make the prerecorded sets.
The girl gets a good chunk of the money, but I bet most of it goes to the guys behind the scenes, who probably also get to fuck her. It's win-win-win as coomers nowadays only click hoe thumbnails.
Just like successful onlyfans hoes, you better be sure that there's men behind the profitable ones.

As for dj-ing, the boring type of gigs (weddings, shitty boomer music) might be making solid money, but that comes at the expense of seeing your family and having a home to spend time in (and your good night's sleep).
I'm a huge fan of electronic music, I've always dreamed of producing, and I released a few tracks recently, but I didn't even start learning the trade until I made it. This allows me to make music I actually like, doing it as a job must be a nightmare.

>> No.57301627
File: 43 KB, 720x636, 1699436828256478.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>57300460
Depends.
In the US there's usually no more than 10 acts that are popular. The hard part is either creating mass-friendly banger tracks, or having a few mil in advance to pay Chris Lake/deadmau5/skrillex to ghost produce one for you. In the latter case you also pay an event organiser to play in front of a huge crowd. If you're lucky you'll get your money back alongside groupie pussy. If not - it was your dad's money anyway.
The DJ-ing part of it all, in the US festivals, is pressing play on a prerecorded set (otherwise the team can't map the fireworks/visual effects to the sound).
Club DJ-ing is a fun craft, somewhat easy to learn, but there is some skill required. You're supposed to play tracks one after another making the transition between them seemless, by using an EQ, and by evening out their tempo (either by ear or through software). Ideally you have perfect pitch and you're able to pick tracks that suit one another by being in the same key, or in a relative major/minor, or a perfect fifth apart. "Reading the crowd" is also not really a meme, but there's plenty of popular DJ-s that don't bother.
Some super skilled ones can play multiple tracks at once, making them fit one another (usually cutting the low frequencies on one track, and the highs of another). Youtube the word "mashup" - most of these are studio made, but there's djs who can do a decent job making similar things live.
Now if you want to go to the extreme, there's live acts who literally play a jam session live for you. As in, they program kick drums, snares, tons of percussion, pads, synth layers, everything live, on the spot. Guy Gerber used to do that, and he was seriously impressive. KinK also used to bring 20 pieces of gear for his shows and everything was an improvisation. Paul Kalkbrenner, too. These are rare, and mostly do it for fun, because the average normie in the crowd can't tell the difference.

>> No.57301659

>>57301546
P.S. That being said, some of the most popular techno nowadays actually has men in the front, and a lot of the technical work is done by Julia Borelli, a girl that's nearing 50 but looks 20, and she's actually super talented.
These exist, but chances are, you've been looking at hoes djing music made by men.

>> No.57301682

>>57300460
every song has a different tempo and dj's try to sync them without you noticing
then they adjust the volume since every song has different bass levels for example

>> No.57301831

>>57301353
This the biggest party sluts from university went on to be DJs (most likely from fucking the owners of the clubs they frequented). I think its one of those things you only can assume is a good idea after doing copious amounts of drugs and alcohol in a club setting

>> No.57301943

>>57300460
Dance DJ's play music as a set because it's about creating and maintaining dance floor energy. It is not about playing a single song or jumping from one style to another.

>> No.57302056

>>57301546
>This allows me to make music I actually like, doing it as a job must be a nightmare.
yeah, this is ideal. Like Aphex Twin, just post new shit on YouTube and Soundcloud all the time, maybe compile to an EP or LP if you think of a cohesive concept. Besides that I would just dj for fun, and even if you make your own music, just make a mix of your current favorite music that is danceable, and throw a fun performance, maybe get some cool visuals/lights to play in the background. Wouldn't bother as a wedding DJ if someone has a career already or/and they're willing to keep up with biz shitcoins and swing trading. Just focus on making it and avoid the gay shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Ue_P7vcRE
>>57301831
pretty accurate. I'm in AZ and it's mainly the ASU sorority chicks playing the paid events in Tempe/Scottsdale.

>> No.57302059

>>57301365
Some /pol/ tards found a woman who had a stroke and they are saying its because of the taking a polio vaccine as a 5 year old.

You know. Typical /pol/ shit.

>> No.57302110
File: 392 KB, 980x1169, 1690852913436180.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>57301395
I thought weddings and corporate events would be where the real money is at for DJs. Unfortunately, you probably have to have an upbeat attitude, likeable personality, and not have problems carrying on a conversation or improvising socially to be successful at it; which pretty much exempts *most* anons here, myself included. I think most people's strategy here is to be good enough at one thing that it doesn't matter that you're a weird reclusive autist. But maybe that's just me projecting.

>> No.57302204

>>57302110
>I thought weddings and corporate events would be where the real money is at for DJs
it is, but it'll most likely net you a 5 figure job where you have to play the same music 4-5 times a week late into the night and that's assuming you're employed by someone else who's taking a bit cut or you're spending all day marketing to get gigs. I'm saying it's probably better just get a comfy job, invest heavily and then make the stuff you want. I'd also prioritize one's health, especially as you get older it'll suck having a fucked sleep schedule.
>Unfortunately, you probably have to have an upbeat attitude, likeable personality, and not have problems carrying on a conversation or improvising socially to be successful at it;
DJs are supposed to be the introverts. You just play music in the corner that the people dancing can enjoy. Sure, be likable as that's always good, but it's not really a social butterfly job unless you're the entrepreneur behind it trying to market for gigs. The more talented you are, the less you need to be upbeat. That's usually cope for being shit. Just be good at what you do and don't be something you're not.

>> No.57302379

>>57302059
Sigh...

>> No.57302564

>>57300854
That's promoter. I do that shit and make weekend bands in the summer but I've got cdj 3000s & a whole production team for it

>> No.57302817

Depends really.
A majority of DJs do it for the minor hobby aspect and let me tell you, the ones who do treat it like a minor hobby barely get the medium-size gigs, and those usually come with a ton of caveats.
You really should only get into this stuff if you play stuff you like anyway and have a lot of decent musical ability and an ear for this stuff. Otherwise you're going to be like a lot of hobbyist who start out, jump into the serious end and basically have no motivation.
Fucking W.T Snacks is a DJ and has done events. It's a better business in Japan, but overall I would argue that if you're going to DJ, just get into music production, it's better money because DJing really doesn't have money in it.

Fun though

>> No.57302850

>>57300177
>is doing a near zero skill job with high popularity good business
why do we need to have dumb threads?

>> No.57302911

>>57302817
>I would argue that if you're going to DJ, just get into music production, it's better money because DJing really doesn't have money in it.
How do you make money in music production? Also building a business and working in japan would be dope

>> No.57303015

>>57302911
Building a business out of DJing alone is really hard. I can think of one guy's name that comes up that I think gets decent work, and that's like...TeddyLoid? He's been on soundtracks and is a decent DJ/Music Producer split. Still plays events to this day and all, but its a very anime/edm/dance mix. Most of the decent DJs that a lot of people know the names of are music producers, especially in Europe. The US has generally a easier scene to breach if you're not a music producer.

Music producing is something you generally need a big break on. But there's been cases in the past where DJing and music production go hand-in-hand. If you're not a special case and you're not using some incredible connections, music production is a difficult industry and you'll probably be DJing in the hopes that someone likes your own tracks. Stuff like mixes, bootlegs, overall music sets from events. That said, if you CAN get the hang on music production, you have an amazing foundation for DJing.
The biggest issues with music production or making your own tracks would most likely be negotiating with labels and groups, or just getting your foot in the door. Again, that's kind of why I say if you're doing DJing, your events back up your music production, unless you're a Madeon where you make Pop Culture and a million companies throw contracts at you. Or you're Porter Robinson.

>> No.57303434

>>57303015
Porter Robinson is incredible. Love this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2TE0DjdNqI
>Music producing is something you generally need a big break on
yeah, I've never met anyone that made it work, even really talented musicians I've known are just djing weddings or working at coffee shops in their 30s etc. I personally just play at a bar every weekend and in my free time i'll produce and maybe share shit over on /mu/. Anything people especially like I'll dump on Soundcloud and if I come up with an idea I'll hire someone to make a music video for it. Essentially I only lose money with all this since it's for fun.

Seems like making money in art is a pipe dream, so I'm mainly doubling down on my job + crypto. The richer I actually get, the cooler things I can create and maybe finance people to work with me on video games or whatever else.

>> No.57303458

>>57303434
>Seems like making money in art is a pipe dream
A few golden decades in the west convinced people that you can start in art as a poorfag.
This was never the case.
I only made it (sort of) because I was motivated by the idea of dedicating my future efforts to art. Starting at age 25 is not too late.

>> No.57303498

>>57300177
>music gig
>do you want to make money
pick one
>t. music boi
also, DJ is the lowest form of music, producing is the highest form

>> No.57303568

>>57303434
For the record, Porter's done work practically all across the music industry. He's had big internet breaks with stuff like Shelter, he's had a passionate fanbase for years and his Worlds release was pretty damn successful for him. Even compared to like Madeon who had a relatively successful album and had Pop Culture back at the turn of the 2010, Porter's probably the back-end of people who managed to be on music production forums and hit it big. Guys like Daft, Madeon, Avicii, Porter all kinda started with local showings and internet forums, said forums still exist but they're way less in depth and focused.
>Seems like making money in art is a pipe dream, so I'm mainly doubling down on my job + crypto. The richer I actually get, the cooler things I can create and maybe finance people to work with me on video games or whatever else
That's not entirely a bad idea. If you look at art in general, good art can be unknown and uncredited or undiscovered for years or never recognized. Art that makes money isn't always good.

DJing and all isn't something anyone should take as a job or whatever, do it for the enjoyment and sharing of music. Like >>57303458 says, you CAN enjoy something and then come back to it and try it more "business-oriented".
It's fun and you meet a lot of cool people though, especially when you start doing the smaller events with a group of DJs.

>> No.57303906

>>57300177
like the anon said above me, being a DJ who doesn't actually produce music is the lowest form. these people are not actually musically inclined which is clear from the 100+ female """"dj"""" streams on twitch. they are using babby iphone-esque equipment and moving filter knobs up and down

if anyone is curious as to what makes a good dj, the follow video is one of my favorites. notice how all these dudes are producers as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLBoY4pg-ik

>> No.57304125

>>57303906
see, these days being a "DJ" is exactly as described, just visual idols managing the spotify playlist while turning volume and filter knobs lol. Back in the day it was different, they had to turn vinyl/swap CDs/flip tapes (hence, "Disc Jockey"), sync the beats between tracks, and crossfade at the right time. Now the computer does everything or the fake DJ doesn't even know or care about syncing tracks.