[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 837 KB, 1345x1450, biz books.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
571141 No.571141 [Reply] [Original]

Good day /biz/, this is a question regarding salary negotiation, although if it's more suited for /adv/ then I'll go there instead.

>first class degree in Math from babby (top 50) UK uni
>work in software testing for 1 year for peanuts
>quit job for PhD
>"oh Christ, this isn't what I wanted"
>quit PhD, unemployed since July, failed to get onto grad schemes
>job offer today as management assistant - statistics and product strategy
>salary 20k GBP (31kUSD) + shares

It's higher than my last salary, but lower than the average for my degree (so are salaries in general and living costs in my area). All the other interviews I have lined up are in their first stage with only a slight increase in salary (20-25k). The proverb "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" probably applies the most, so is it even worth renegotiating? The salary given by the recruitment agent was 18-21k.

In return, a supposed 'definitive' /biz/ book list.

>> No.571149

Jesus, I quit uni and I currently earn 21k and have an interview today for 28k without having real skills.When negotiating salary I tell that I earn more than I actually do and tell the interviewer that I would like to work for their company without suffering financial loss so that I get a bit more than my made up salary.

>> No.571169

I've got a sophisticated salary-based question of my own.
How do I negotiate a raise/promotion?
I've been in this position two years(functional software development) but have only had the mandatory 1.5% yearly raise. That's not cutting it. It's a small team and I'm pretty valuable, I think. Should I tell the boss ivs got another job offer?

>> No.571217
File: 2.21 MB, 225x168, moon man.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Update: A nigga gotta eat, so I took the job.

The lady at recruitment said she'd speak about the salary (she gets more commission if my salary is higher) so hopefully I may get an increase. After almost six months of unemployment and supporting myself on savings I'm relieved to be back in work.

>> No.571220

>>571169
>functional software development
So do you write in Haskell or F# or some shit?

Anyway, instead of telling him that you've another job offer, you should actually get another job offer and then tell him. Spend a few weeks preparing for the interviews during your free time then make some applications. Take a week off for the actual interviews. You don't have to tell anyone you're doing this (you'll get fired if you do). Hope for the best.

>>571217
20k is not the worst starting salary unless you live in London. Graduate schemes usually offer anything between 20-30k, investment banks up to 45k starting. I myself got an offer for 40k but the cost of living here is expensive.

>> No.571225

>>571220
It's in Wales - where rent prices are 60+% cheaper and groceries are 10% cheaper. It's essentially a career change too and I'm currently unemployed so I know I have little bargaining power.

>> No.571231

>>571225
Well, at least you'll stay in the 20% tax bracket.

My 40k starting is followed by a couple thousand signing bonus and discretionary end of year bonus which will catapult me onto the 40% tax bracket

>> No.571239

>>571231
>signing bonus
>discretionary bonus

Hot damn. Higher tax rate aside that's great. Is that a junior/graduate role? I'm expecting you're from a higher tier university.

>> No.571245

>>571239
It's an investment bank, they usually work this way. I actually graduated from some shit-tier uni in eastern yurop with 2.1, then came to the UK for a 1 year Masters at a top3.
Afterwards I just bought a nice suit, applied to all the grad schemes, got rejected by 80%, failed others and did really well on this one and got the offer.

>> No.571250

>phd in math
>$30k anywhere I want

>> No.571641

>>571250
>not even knowing the meme