[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 42 KB, 800x367, 138432.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
570349 No.570349 [Reply] [Original]

We are heading to a future in which more and more people will be left out of the labor market due to the exponential automation and specialization in all sectors.

There will be a polarization: very well paid jobs for a minority that has got a premium education and moves inside an elitist network and slave wage jobs where using a human will be unavoidable.

What jobs do you think will remain untouched despite extreme industrial and service automation?

Do you think handcrafted products and traditional services will become a growing alternative market in the future?

>> No.570364

>>570349
Anything requiring math, physics and programming will be doing well. The rest of the people will be fked and forever relegated to the lowest step in the feudal pyramid - serfs. Since I cant do anything to prevent that I'm concentrating on getting myself skilled enough to participate in the remaining high skilled jobs instead.

>> No.570365

If we ever hit the point where it's better not to hire unskilled work, we'll likely just give them a gauranteed income until they become skilled or die on their subsistence allowance.

Kind of like how we do now.

>> No.570371

What's the point of even contemplating these things? They're impossible to accurately predict. Might as well pick up any sci-fi novel off the shelf and read it. If the time comes and you're still relevant in this world (not retired or dead), there won't be anything for you to change anyway, just do whatever others do, you won't prepare in advance.

>> No.570373

>>570371
>stop talking!

Fuck off.

>> No.570374

Police forces and unskilled government paper pushers/keyboard jockeys will likely be bloated by government assistance to provide jobs.

>> No.570386

I'm a playwright in college right now, about to go off the Chicago or New York with the connections I've made and the skills I've developed as a theater major and an English (linguistics) minor.

Firmly believing that human communication is a foundation of societal structure, and arbitrary nuances with emotional responses will not be emulated by machines for hundreds of years, beyond my lifetime, I conclude that there is security in an industry where creating a different perception of the world for a group of human spectators will never die. The arts will never die in any societal area, whether it's whatever that appeals to serfs, high quality theater, fine and traditional arts, or even most of the shit that rolls up on the shores of 4chan.

>> No.570412

>>570386
All that make-believe eloquence to cover your lack of knowledge will do nothing for you once you finally accept that your position in life is to ask but one thing: "Would you like fries with that?"

Nothing irritates me more than non-technical people using inflated vocabulary to give off a sense of learnedness. You are not smart. You do not know more than the average person. Art is dead. Theater has been dead for decades.

In short, you're so fucked that you probably can't even contemplate it.

>> No.570423

>>570412
You just got so fucking hostile. I currently work as a technical writer, with a team of developers, directly under a software engineer, for a company that programs TV slots for large cable companies.

I've had a computer since I was 6. I'm fluent in a lot of languages, extremely familiar with hardware. I had great grades through highschool. I dual enrolled to take a c++ class in highschool at community college. No I didn't decide to go to MIT or wherever to get a degree in computer science. I went to a school in Michigan with a fantastic theater department under a great set of directors.

I understand that the definition of logic is understanding arguments - truth and false values in statements from people about how we describe the world. People love stories. I love stories. Fuck you, man. Would you have more respect for me if I were programming a videogame? A story in another light, something that has no real life purpose, but is a huge industry? You're a dick.

>> No.570424

>>570412
I'm an intern* I get paid pretty well, 30/hr, great for a college job

>> No.570427

>>570423
>I'm fluent in a lot of languages
you are fluent in sucking cocks

>> No.570432

>>570427
Takes one to know one, doesn't it?

>> No.570436

>>570427
I meant computer languages, in case you actually were misconstruing what I meant. If you actually meant I suck a lot of cocks and already understood what I said, fuck you too.

>> No.570458

>>570412
>In short, you're so fucked that you probably can't even contemplate it.
Are you talking about yourself, friend? :^)

>> No.570632

>>570423
>Fuck you, man.
No fuck you, asshole

>> No.570636
File: 14 KB, 270x342, 1383437090202.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>570349

>all this baseless speculation
>all these fools running around trying to get "skills" that they have no way of knowing the future value of
>I'll still be a welfare NEET either way and i'll probably just roll over to guaranteed income if it does happen
>mfw

feels fucking good man, thanks for wasting your youth so I can enjoy myself

>> No.570780

>>570349
>>570349
>We are heading to a future in which more and more people will be left out of the labor market due to the exponential automation and specialization in all sectors.

No, we aren't. There will always be unskilled labor, this isn't going to go away. Positions like "Walmart Greeter" will be made up and these useless people will still be employed doing unnecessary things. The social fabric in which our society is built on requires people to provide value in the form of work in order to truly be a part of it.

>> No.570896

Since syfi is what we aiming for...

By the next 2 to 3 decades travels to mars Will be regular thing.

Colonies will start forming, exploitation of the land open and shit lOads of jobs and territories open.

It will be a bonanza like in the 1800 When flocks of crackers and niggers ran up the west searching for free land.

Yay I will be dead or worst by then.

>> No.570966

>>570896
If our dear leader Elon Musk has his way then yes, but I have more of a vision of space travel being something only the ruling class can do, like Elysium.

You think Tyrone and Quadravius are going to space?

>> No.570974

>>570365

I think this is dead on.

Eventually there will be so many unemployed people because of automation that they will have the voting power to elect populist leaders who will tax corporations to fund social welfare programs.

At the end of the day corporations and the elites will be treading economic water, while the masses will be living in a technological eden where all their needs and whims are accounted for.

You could make this into a movie.

>> No.570996

Increased income polarization will lead to much more crime and theft. So private security jobs should rise as well.

The wealthy will be spending more on armored cars, bodyguards, cameras, monitoring and such.

http://youtu.be/pKGzw8GROf0

>> No.571019

>>570349
>We are heading to a future in which more and more people will be left out of the labor market due to the exponential automation and specialization in all sectors.
le 1700's fears

>> No.571041
File: 208 KB, 385x400, 1412539169449.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>570966
>Quadravius

>> No.572107

>>570896
>By the next 2 to 3 decades travels to mars Will be regular thing.
no it won't

>Colonies will start forming, exploitation of the land open and shit lOads of jobs and territories open.
no they won't

>It will be a bonanza like in the 1800 When flocks of crackers and niggers ran up the west searching for free land.
no it won't

>Yay I will be dead or worst by then.
you won't be dead but you'll damn well be disappointed

>> No.572117

>>570349
theres tons of things obots will never be able to do, plus i think we're gonna get a big resistance to technology soon, maybe not in every way but people will at least want to be less aware of technology

>> No.572163

>>570386
Other guy is being a dick about it, but your major is really fucking stupid. You're both in the wrong.

>> No.572173

>>572117
Generally speaking, there is nothing a robot can't do. It's a matter of it not being economical to design, build, or maintain the things.

>> No.572205

>>572173
We still don't understand the human mind. How can we emulate something we don't understand? We can't. There's no certainty about whether we are ever going to be able to create robots with an actual consciousness or human-like thought-process.

>> No.572227

>>570364
It would be exactly the opposite. Maths and physics can be done through software. Skills with analysis and evaluation would be most valued imo.

>> No.572238

>>570423
You do realise you are an anomaly in that regard.