[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 11 KB, 250x201, 6982BE73-5A78-4579-9592-926471C8A91B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
56740942 No.56740942 [Reply] [Original]

>be me
>gf and I live together in major US city
>1bed+den/1ba in very nice neighorhood
>between the two of us housing costs are about $2600/mo
>I pay the majority of that, ~1600/mo
>great area
>plenty of stuff to do
>close to work, gym, train, etc
>crucially, I don’t have a car right now (don’t need one with how convenient the area is) but gf does and I use it on occasion
Anyway, long story short:
>gf’s parents live in incredibly wealthy suburb about an hour north of the city we live in
>live in modest but nice house with plenty of space (they’re empty nesters now)
>staying up here for thanksgiving and there’s plenty of space
>they offered to let us move into the granny flat above their garage (1 bed, 1 bath, bonus room) FOR FREE
>with just the cost of saving my existing housing payment, I could save 30-40k by the time we’d be in a position to buy a place of our own
>would need to commute (likely on train) and have a car again, but only once or twice a week
>parents are pretty nice people, probably wouldn’t bother us much other than have dinner with us every night which is fine imo

What do you all think? We’d be losing a lot of freedom, but holy shit imagine how much I could save in that time if we’re just there for a year or two. And that’s on top od what I’m already saving for retirement.

Seems like an excellent opportunity, certainly financially. Anything I should take into account that I haven’t thus far?

Also for reference, I’m in tech sales and will make about 130k this year

>> No.56740946

>>56740942
i cant read all this

>> No.56740951
File: 36 KB, 600x687, 1683688051811453.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>56740942

> Financially speaking, should I move in with my Girlfriend’s parents?

> >be me
> >gf and I live together in major US city
> >1bed+den/1ba in very nice neighorhood
> >between the two of us housing costs are about $2600/mo
> >I pay the majority of that, ~1600/mo
> >great area
> >plenty of stuff to do
> >close to work, gym, train, etc
> >crucially, I don’t have a car right now (don’t need one with how convenient the area is) but gf does and I use it on occasion
> Anyway, long story short:
> >gf’s parents live in incredibly wealthy suburb about an hour north of the city we live in
> >live in modest but nice house with plenty of space (they’re empty nesters now)
> >staying up here for thanksgiving and there’s plenty of space
> >they offered to let us move into the granny flat above their garage (1 bed, 1 bath, bonus room) FOR FREE
> >with just the cost of saving my existing housing payment, I could save 30-40k by the time we’d be in a position to buy a place of our own
> >would need to commute (likely on train) and have a car again, but only once or twice a week
> >parents are pretty nice people, probably wouldn’t bother us much other than have dinner with us every night which is fine imo

> What do you all think? We’d be losing a lot of freedom, but holy shit imagine how much I could save in that time if we’re just there for a year or two. And that’s on top od what I’m already saving for retirement.

> Seems like an excellent opportunity, certainly financially. Anything I should take into account that I haven’t thus far?

> Also for reference, I’m in tech sales and will make about 130k this year

>> No.56740964

>>56740946
No problem I’ll dumb it down for you
>my rent expensive
>gf’s family said no more rent
>debating if good choice or not
>free house, but have to deal with future in laws in process

>> No.56740974

>>56740942
You'll have to borrow your girlfriends car every time you need to do something in the suburbs, gym, errands, grocery store. She'll get tired of you being worthless and dump your ass.

>> No.56741004

Right now you provide for your gf. By trying to save $19k a year you lose all your value, are at the mercy of her parents, and lose your freedom. Tough decision honestly.

>> No.56741007

>>56740946
>>56740951
/biz/ is just all retards now
>>56740942
I wouldn't. Moved in with girl's parents in 2 relationships, can't put a price on the freedom you lose.
Plus the time you'll lose to commute, needing to get your own car, the lost convenience of your current place... doesn't sound worth it.
The 30-40k you'll save is Reddit level savings, if you're on /biz/ you should be trading enough in crypto to gain or lose that much in trades every few days or so.

>> No.56741011

>>56740974
Oh if we make this move I’m getting a new car, no way around it. The town they live in is compact enough where most car trips are >10min, but just not practical for walking. So will need to add a decent used car to the calculus for sure.

>> No.56741014

>>56740964
>let my girlfriend live with another man
No.

>> No.56741064

>>56741004
It’s really tough. The primary reason I’m even considering it is the fact that we’ll be in a totally separate structure and not in direct contact with her family on a day-to-day basis (especially when I’m working from home), which is a huge plus.

Not to say I don’t like them, but being in the same house at all times would probably be a bit much. The other primary benefit of course being a huge reduction in our living expenses.

>> No.56741127

>>56740942
If you are already like a son for them definitely yes. If you don't feel good around them definitely not. Things will be worst.
If they propose you that, they need you for something.
So if it doesn't bother you to be also available for them and you can be yourself with them, do not hesitate it's a good deal.

>> No.56741215

>>56741127
>If they propose you that, they need you for something.
Not necessarily. They may just be trying to help their daughter get a leg up by offering empty space. It’s def a good deal if her dad is the laid back type.

>> No.56741340

>>56740942
You'd be retarded not to. Multi gen living is based. Just do some cooking every now and then and don't act like teenagers and they'll love you

>> No.56741431

>>56740946
READING IS 2HARD FOR HIM
HE STRUGGLES TO READ OP
YOU HAVE TO FORMAT THINGS FOR ALL 50 STATES INCLUDING WEST VIRGINIA

>> No.56741441

>>56740942
You shouldn’t pay more than your gf for rent. It should be split down the middle.

I moved in my with my girlfriends parents are renting alone for a few years. I saw it as her way of being able to actually contribute something for a change desu. Isn’t it fuckin crazy how many relationships there are where the guy effectively pays for everything and this is just normal? I ain’t doin that shit again. Note women don’t tolerate that, they expect you to pay for shit.

Anyway it’s been great financially living with her parents but here’s the problem. Once you make a move like that everyone expects you to get married. And if you don’t everybody on both sides of the family will hate your guts but especially her parents. I personally do not want to get married and I’m honestly considering ending this long term relationship because my girlfriend is basically a bum that’s flunked out of school over and over again and can’t get a job and plays video games all day. Woof. I mean other than that she’s great and I value that she’s not a huge tub of lard like so many women and she’s chill so pros and cons. I’d be happy to stay but I don’t want to get married to her. But if I leave she will probably kill herself and her friends are my friends and I’d feel like an ass when her parents expect us to get married now. Kinda wish I’d not moved in here but damn the money savings is tremendous.

>> No.56741471

>>56740942
Yes

>> No.56741631

>>56741441
Your gf is just waiting to get knocked up so she can raise your kids. Don't be a onions boy and expect women to be "like you". They aren't

>> No.56741947

>>56741631
Nope, she hates kids and would rather die than have kids. Modern feminist programming has rotted her mind. If she was willing to have kids and be a stay at home parents I wouldn’t care that she’s a bum.

>> No.56741986

>>56741947
OK. It's time to ditch her and move on. You're wasting your time.

>> No.56742051

>>56741340
>Multi gen living is based.
This. Every generation prior to our degenerate times would have stayed close to parents/in laws. You can build equity instead of paying rent to someone else, also help the old people occasionally, mow the lawn, offer things you're skilled at, learn things from them, and they can help you.

>> No.56742107

>>56741986
Sorry, sound her out on it once and for all. If she's truly lost then cut your losses. Some women just say they "don't want" because they're too afraid to challenge their Jewish programing. Plus you sound mid twenties so plenty of time to rebuild. Don't believe the psyops, there are many good women out there

>> No.56742558

>>56740942
Account for the cost of the car and fuel to get how much you'd really be saving, but it sounds good to me given the separate building.