[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 417 KB, 2398x1400, NML (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
564844 No.564844 [Reply] [Original]

Does biz know anything about this place? I'm a junior finance major and I have an internship there this summer. People tell me its a good company to work for, but I'm not thrilled about having to sell life insurance and other things to people everyday. I'm a financial representative and they've had me complete these market surveys to see how many people will buy products from me. Any advice? Should I look for another internship?

>> No.564854
File: 1.57 MB, 580x433, 1416729053227.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>564844
>finance degree

>> No.564859

>>564844

dude, get out. basically they make you sell insurance to your friends and family. it's shitty as fuck.

might as well go sell knives

>> No.564860

>>564854
>>564844
>he doesn't know there are IDs on biz

>> No.565151

>>564859
that's what it seems like and I don't want to peddle shitty services to people to make a living

>> No.565164

Do some research on whole life insurance and try to determine if you could make a career of selling it.

The strength of the company is the consistent dividend they pay policyowners. If that were to drop in the future, the company would fail.

You would be an employee of the company and you couldn't take your clients with you if you went independent.

There are a lot of better companies to work for. Try to find someplace that values the CFP designation if you want to work with people in a face to face environment.

I will say that doing an internship at NWL could help you went interviewing with other financial services firms. I wouldn't let any agents sell my friends and family those shitty life insurance products while I was doing the internship, however.

>> No.565709

>>564844
I had an internship with them 2 years ago
>>564859 is pretty much all you need to know

>> No.565714

>>565709
I should also mention that out of all of the interns in our office, only 2 sold anything. One was a spoiled rich girl whose parents bought insurance from her so she could "earn" her own money to buy herself a car. The other was a marine who sold to other marines he knew.

It's sales of the worst kind, even the successful employees were burnt out messes with huge bags under their eyes.

>> No.565753

>>564844
A friend of mine just quit from there, saying the benefits and promises made by HR were never fulfilled, and he was only paid on commission working door to door