[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 60 KB, 405x500, 1692798459574141.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
56142476 No.56142476 [Reply] [Original]

How do you ensure you don't work too hard at your job while also maintaining the perception that you are needed and valuable (it can be true or not it doesn't matter)?
I'll start, a lot of these I learned from a book called "the rules of work"
>create a brand new role where one previously didn't exist and you define it entirely <- this is key
>aspire for semi technical roles so you can play middle man
>be the expert on things and always help people with technical questions (since you have plenty of time to spare, and you are smart, right anon?), but careful,
>never volunteer or help with grunt work ("aw shucks I don't have the cycles right now, busy with yadayada project)
>never make it known you worked after hours on something or you'll seem like a bitch
>your boss doesn't want to solve problems, be decisive and keep them informed (change course if they tell you)

>> No.56142485

My plan is to /makeit/ but stay at my comfy job, decrease my output to only a few hours a week (arguably already there but sometimes I still end up doing some bitch work) and let it be openly known my value is solely knowledge arbitrage

>> No.56142555

>>56142476
I know how to direct and produce marketing collateral and understand seo/sem, so as long as I know what the project is I can easily fill in the strategy/design/webdev gaps while browsing gme and getting raises.

>> No.56142580

>>56142555
Being good at your job is definitely a necessary prerequisite. Then going from 100% effort to 10% effort is pretty easy. From there I'd like to get to 1% which won't be so easy.

>> No.56144305
File: 6 KB, 211x239, 1694776934473717.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

They have seen me bust my ass hard enough it embarrassed them, so they make sure I have plenty of guys to share the load with. Their concern is that they don't burn me out. But I was born for this shit in too many ways I genuinely enjoy it. Find something productive to do you will enjoy doing and can crack jokes with your coworkers about and liven the mood. All this is is your resistance to having a kickass time at work everyday. Shit. When you can put your heart in, it's not always about how much work. Any day I want I can show up and do JACK SHIT and nothing happens. I was unironically born to work IT tho (I'm at work right now) and it's not that hard. If you need to pay people to teach you shit tho you only have my disgust and pity.

>> No.56144347

Nah the boomers tried this, making themselves invaluable for a key skill. Corporations have a no problem playing hardball, they will squeeze you the fuck out and take whatever pain comes with dethroning you. Oh, you’re the only one in this 300,000+ company who knows LISK and how the entire balance processing software works? Fuck you, we’d rather fire you and let pajeets rape the system to death over giving you options and leverage

>> No.56144525

>>56144347
>boomers tried this
They lacked the base competency though. I'm king of the boomers at my company because they only know cvs and I show them how to
>git checkout file

>> No.56144552

>>56144525
You don’t think they were hot shit back in the day for understanding how to use the xerox machine, or how to use an auto-dialer?

>> No.56144556

>>56144525
Based boomer lord.