[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 194 KB, 900x900, 1688258202991990.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
55515049 No.55515049 [Reply] [Original]

I'm 26 and have $75k in cash. How should i actually distribute it between savings and investments? Boomers say mostly cash with some in the S&P500/gold. Zoomers say 100% BTC. What is the correct answer?

>> No.55515065

Stocks and BTC, it's still over 30k currently so I am un-aware if it's worth buying.
Or maybe just buy a local business

>> No.55515088
File: 84 KB, 700x886, 1683586080477590.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw most of /biz/ are broke 18 year olds shilling crypto, but then /pmg/ and /smg/ are sad divorced 50 and 60 year olds talking about their asian wives

>> No.55515093

>>55515049
Cash until the deflation stops

>> No.55515103

3 month t bills until the crash in September, then 50% btc AND 50% QQQ

>> No.55515112

>>55515049
24y here
put $1000 in lunc and forget about it

>> No.55515121

>>55515049

If you want an honest answer from an actual investor?

You should have 6 months of expenses in cash at all times in your bank.

The rest you should put in a brokerage account. Right now I'd recommend just buying 1/mo T-Bills OP. There are too many signs pointing to recession right now.

>> No.55515139
File: 127 KB, 977x549, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>55515065
what kind of stocks are worth looking into? Buy any now, or wait until some huge crash? Also, what kind of local business is worth the time? i might be better off getting a 2nd job or working overtime if it's stacking more income and putting in a lot of effort
>>55515103
Why will there be a crash in September? I hear a lot of /biz/ say we'll see an impact later this year, then a bull in 2024-2025
Also, why QQQ in particular? instead of VOO or VTI etc
>>55515121
Will keep 6 months expenses for sure. Right now it's about 2 years worth. T-Bills make sense. Would you stay away from BTC or any stocks?

>> No.55515152

>>55515139
Because tech is the only domestic industry that makes money anymore. And the crash always comes after the Fed pivot, after pausing for a couple meetings they'll drop rates during the September or October meetings.

>> No.55515206

5 months of expenses in a high yield savings account
The rest in an S&P 500 index fund
Any other advice is a retard or a crypto scammer trying to rugpull you

>> No.55515217

>>55515093
>until the crash in September
There was going to be a crash last September and nothing happened as usual. Meanwhile anons keep making money from stocks while constantly fudding:
>TOTAL SUPPLY CHAIN COLLAPSE 'CAUSE LOCKDOWNS PREPARE NOW!
>UKRAINE WAR MASSIVE GRAIN SHORTAGES!
>MASSIVE INFLATION PEOPLE CAN'T AFFORD FOOD AND RENT THE BUBBLE WILL BURST!
>TOTAL CRYPTO REGULATIONS INCOMING IT'S OVERRRRR!
>BANKS ARE COLLAPSING IT'S 2008 ALL OVER AGAIN FINAL WARNING GET OUT OF THE STOCK MARKET NOW!
>DIGITAL DOLLAR MAKES FIAT TOTALLY WORTHLESS BUY METALS NOW BE FREE!

I hate you guys spewing this shit all the time so much please kill yourself.

>> No.55515218

>>55515065
why does biz think that 30k is too high?

>> No.55515228

>>55515152
Powpow said to expect two more rate hikes this year. I don’t see a pivot until at least 2024. Labor market still needs to cool down

>> No.55515239

>>55515152
Not really, tech is a "declining" sector as in all the funding coming into the industry is all but dried up thus everything that isn't profitable or just a waste of resources is getting cut back

>> No.55515241

>>55515139

I have some funds right now as a hedge, just in case I'm wrong, but I've just been stacking cash and buying 1/mo T-Bills for the last 6 months. Those are funds I've had for 3 years though, when I bought them in March of 2020.

I'd stay away from any technology (including Bitcoin) and any commodities right now. Those stocks dump hard in recessions. If you do want to buy stocks as a hedge in case I'm wrong, I'd stick with Consumer Staples and maybe Utilities.

If we do get nailed by a recession, gold and general commodity baskets will usually skyrocket within a few months afterwards, but then tend to come back down to a more normal level again.

The general S&P 500 will usually continue to dump for several months after the recession. Once you think the S&P 500 has bottomed out, that's when I would buy tech stocks and probably Bitcoin.

>> No.55515316
File: 123 KB, 900x629, 1668707532216559.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>55515241
Thanks, anon. When do you think the recession will likely end?

>> No.55515331

You should always have an emergency fund. Makes you more independent and less of a cuck.

For the rest of the money, you can put all of it in a global index fund if you want. It’s about as safe as it gets, and returns will be good over a long time period. But most likely, unless you keep pouring money into it, it won’t make you very wealthy.

Depending on interest rates and housing prices you can always get into RE, preferably in a decently central place. Trend is centralization, so central but not-very-nice neighborhoods get gentrified. I don’t know where you’re located, but it might be an idea to keep an eye on RE that is just outside of a very popular/nice neighborhood but still considered not so nice. But be careful. If you plan on buying to rent it out, be aware of tax rules and also what the political trend is where you live.

You also have crypto, which can make you rich. Especially Bitcoin is a safe hold as it’s the king, but ETH is also a good alternative. When your taxi driver and hairdresser tells you to buy is when to start considering selling. But when it’s down -80% is when you start buying. Right now I believe many old-timers feel it’s a fair buy, although the possibility of going lower obviously also is a possibility. If you want to get into altcoins, be aware of bitcoin ratio. While Bitcoin tends to be the first mover in a bull market, altcoins tend to increase in ratio compared to bitcoin after bitcoin has had a stable trend upwards. Especially coins with low nominal value (even though it doesn’t matter, only market cap does) tend to increase a lot in value in alt season because of dumb money. But when alt season hits, don’t get too greedy else you’re fucked too. Sell alts to bitcoin or cash. But before you get into alts, make sure you know how the coin inflates else you’ll get fucked. Most alts will render worthless over time anyway, it just has so much value today because it’s currently in the Wild West stage.

>> No.55515358

>>55515049
Put 10% in crypto, with 5% in ISO 20022 coins you hold in your own wallet. Put the rest in short term T-bills or a government moneymarket fund (yields like 5%, WAY better than a bank account and on WAY safer uber-liquid reserves) waiting for the super-crash which will almost definitely come soon but definitely be before 2025. Buy the market at the bottom (make sure it is the bottom, consider watching Keith Mccullough on this, he has a really good investment software and is the only one who timed 2008 perfectly and didn't buy until March 2009) and consider stocks you think have large growth potential to buy then. You could wait to buy crypto and if watching it tank would make you irreconcilable and sell, just buy so much that you would feel comfortable literally watching it go to zero (it probably will go very very low with the everything bubble and once the stablecoin/custodian crash really begins). You should own at least some ISO 20022 (any L1 can be compliant this is just a colloquial naming convention they are often classed as to know which ones I'm referring to) coins to make sure you don't miss out or regulations/bank rules/etc. don't stop you from buying and cause you to miss out at a key time (it is already extremely low and an extremely safe bet to buy them and longterm you will be very satisfied with your purchase (even if one or two fail, the basket of them will 100% carry you once the utility becomes the foundational pricing mechanism). Too early and also too late to buy in some ways but you should have some personally custodied.

>> No.55515364

>>55515049
SOXL, TQQQ, BTC and LTC

>> No.55515413

>recently started taking personal finance more serious
>max out 401k
>moving money into savings
>open a Roth IRA and personal brokerage
>start buying low cost ETFs that track market
>apparently a recession is on the way
>everything I'm doing is fucking retarded in that context
So what do I full stop everything and just wait until something may or may not happen?

>> No.55515441

>>55515331
Yeah, I'm thinking 6 months emergy fund, so roughly $20k
I'm located in a military town in southwestern USA with about 50k people. Been renting for the last few years but maybe I'd be better off buying a house? It's an hour away from a bigger city and 3 hours away from a huge city. The weather is great, it's surrounded by mountains and there's a good flux of military people coming in and military boomers retiring.
Or would I be better off renting and putting the money into BTC/ETH?
Would you buy BTC/ETH now or wait until later? I wouldn't buy any alts until https://www.blockchaincenter.net/en/altcoin-season-index/ says we're in alt season and then go for quick flips on dumb money
>>55515358
short term T-bills make sense. Go into them until a big crash, then go all into crypto or would you dca within a period of time?
>>55515364
why even LTC? Didn't the founder sell everything he had and lost all credibility some years back? Do you really think it's a good risk/reward?
>>55515413
I'm in the same boat, that's why I shifted to 100% cash. It seems T-Bills and a lot of patience make sense for the time being though

>> No.55515442

>>55515413
Bubbles except for in crypto are usually hard to call. Everyone calls them often but they rarely happen. Just keep investing, always.

>> No.55515451
File: 6 KB, 224x225, s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>55515049
>>55515088
Im just completely comfy trading the next generation of memecoins that will topple the market. Imaginate my face when i saw that biz was actually shilling early for once in their lives.
Token is $EPEP btw, chart's flipped just like the token

>> No.55515498

>>55515441
No idea about RE in your location. I’m not even too familiar with the US RE market. What if the military base moves? Won’t that most likely make the demand decrease? Things to consider. But if you can get a good deal with a not too big % of your nw + future cash flow, might not be a too bad bet.

As for altcoins, you don’t buy them in alt season. That’s when you start selling them. Buy altcoins after BTC has had a stable trend upwards and alts haven’t pumped relative to BTC. Then it’s a fair bet and limited downside compared to BTC. If you buy during the alt season they’ve already at least partially pumped and you take a large risk. Alts come falling like a knife, and you won’t know when, so you risk being the greater fool. Remember, you want to get in on the ground floor.

>> No.55515533
File: 45 KB, 564x372, FuFsExEaAAECm4y.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>55515316

I have no clue. Everything is data dependent. My opinion can change every month depending on what's released.

https://thedailyshot.com/2023/04/19/the-x-date-is-approaching-faster-than-expected/

>> No.55515579

>>55515049
Btc with 25x leverage if you plan on retiring at this rate

>> No.55515744

>>55515498
The military base has existed for several decades, so I'm doubtful it will move. My grandfather was in WW2 and ended up retiring after getting stationed here at the end of his career. Regardless, the location is like a hidden gem, but it's not a place with much to do for young people. Tired of paying rent though.

Would you consider right now a time when BTC is stabling trending upwards or not really?
>>55515533
Is daily shot worth subscribing to? That's a pretty good analysis on their part
>>55515579
Do you think this is the best risk to reward?

>> No.55515910

>>55515744
Basically free money

>> No.55516129

>>55515744
Now is definitely not moments before alt season. Look at the historic chart of BTC and compare it with various altcoins w BTC ratio. Trend must be much clearer, most likely also at a BTC ATH. I remember when BTC was around $50k and people were wondering why alts didn’t pump harder than BTC. Turns out it was just moments before.

Also don’t play with leverage unless you really know what you’re doing, fool. Even top traders make mistakes and get liquidated.

>> No.55516801

>>55516129
Current plan:
Save - 6 months of expenses in a high-yielding savings account ($20k)
Rest - 1/month T-Bills ($55k) and setting up brokerage/crypto exchange accounts
Later - Once there's a massive crash (BTC around $13k-20K), buy up ~$55k worth of BTC, then once we hit an ATH, invest new money into alts to flip back to BTC and sell everything back to a high-yielding savings account(s) sometime in early 2025.

Does this make sense, or would you add QQQ/ETFs? I'm not sure they're good risk/rewards. Real estate probably makes more sense after I make it and can buy a property in cash.

>> No.55517038

>>55516801
You don’t know if BTC will crash under $20k

You don’t know if the next crypto bull will be in 2025

For all we know, BTC bottomed out end of last year.

Or, interest rate hikes crashes markets and BTC follows along, in a multi-year bear market. Next bull is 10 years away. Anyone saying this is impossible clearly didn’t pay attention to history. Just look at Nasdaq after dot com. Multi year bear market. If you bought the top, it took you like 10 years to get your money back.

I don’t know, you don’t know, and nobody here knows. Just have to play the odds. BTC is risky, but it has a high upside. Log the chart. We’re in a bear market which historically has been a very good time to buy and hold. But you’ll have to accept that even though we’re already in a bear market, there’s still a downside.

The good news is that while it took 10 years to break even on Nasdaq if you bought the top, you could have broke even much faster and even earned significant amounts if you just kept buying in the years after the crash.

Invest what you can into what gives you fair odds and just keep buying. Holding fiat wont make you rich. Increase your cash flow and you’ll have more to invest.

>> No.55517129

>>55517038
I do not know what will happen with the markets, but I know keeping cash will not get me anywhere. To me, it seems BTC is the best risk/reward there is. Add in alt-flipping (buy during the ground floor, sell for a 5-10x), and it's a feasible way to multiply net worth.

As for buying it, I think it's likely to at least crash some more. I think you're right, though. I'll just DCA maybe 20% of the $55k at every crash during this year since we probably did bottom at 15k (-80%).

I'm willing to keep DCA-ing for 10 years, no problem, though. I don't really need the money. It would just be nice to "Make it" and work 0 hours at a job again.

>> No.55517140
File: 60 KB, 405x500, 1684250573003396.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>55515049
Im 26 with 110k and in the same boat anon. I bought a Bitcoin at 29k to be a whole coiner at least

>> No.55517158

>>55515441
>Didn't the founder sell everything he had and lost all credibility some years back?
Kek do you think Bitcoin is worse off without Satoshi controlling most of the supply?