[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 401 KB, 1536x817, 1640407857228.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
55415694 No.55415694 [Reply] [Original]

So I used to work at a gas station like 5 years ago and I recently watched a video where some guy bought a bunch of lottery tickets and instead of scratching them he just used an app to scan them since it's faster. You obviously need to go cash in the winning tickets so you can claim the money, but my question is, what stops an employee from a gas station from just downloading the app and then scanning the entire roll of tickets and then buying the winning ones? Maybe once you scan the ticket on the app then nobody else can scan it? So the employee that scans the entire roll would essentially make all the tickets unusable and then he would get caught and fired right? Just wondering I honestly don't work at that gas station anymore I swear.

>> No.55415720

The part you scan has to be scratched

>> No.55415730

>>55415694
>what stops an employee from a gas station from just downloading the app and then scanning the entire roll of tickets and then buying the winning ones
Tickets are deactivated and thus unscannable until purchased. An employee winning any considerable amount would immediately raise suspicion and prompt the lottery investigation department to check the store tapes.

“The Lottery, with its weekly pay-out of enormous prizes, was the one public event to which the proles paid serious attention. It was probable that there were some millions of proles for whom the Lottery was the principal if not the only reason for remaining alive. It was their delight, their folly, their anodyne, their intellectual stimulant. Where the Lottery was concerned, even people who could barely read and write seemed capable of intricate calculations and staggering feats of memory. There was a whole tribe of men who made their living simply by selling systems, forecasts, and lucky amulets. Winston had nothing to do with the Lottery, which was managed by the Ministry of Plenty, but he was aware (indeed everyone in the party was aware) that the prizes were largely imaginary. Only small sums were actually paid out, the winners of the big prizes being nonexistent persons.” - George Orwell, 1984

>> No.55415737
File: 735 KB, 480x270, boop.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>55415694
>but my question is, what stops an employee from a gas station from just downloading the app and then scanning the entire roll of tickets and then buying the winning ones?
Because once you scan a ticket that scan is saved in the lotto companies database...

>> No.55415741

>>55415694
The bar code is behind a scratch surface. The employee has to scratch off the barcode to scan.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2019/10/11/store-employee-accused-of-scanning-lottery-tickets-to-check-for-winners/