[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 130 KB, 750x709, 1680215668464989.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
55262883 No.55262883 [Reply] [Original]

I need a big comprehensive list of jobs a CS degree holder can do besides coding.

Long story short, I did a coding job for over 5 years before quitting earlier last year and I'm at a crossroads about where to take my career next. I absolutely despite coding and most especially coding corporate culture. WAY too much pressure with unreasonable deadlines, incompetent teams with poor communication, out of touch retarded managers who only got their positions through nepotism, etc.

Anyways, please list careers for me and others to view please.

>> No.55262889 [DELETED] 

stop the bots, you are not enough spooks to slide

>> No.55262903

>>55262883
lol you're me?
>5 years coding
>good chunk of savings
>just quit because fuck big corpos and their politics and small talk in the break room

Now what. Can't imagine going back. They were paying me over 200k TC for a se2 position.
I want to work in software again but something that actually helps ppl, the last job was a shitty parasite to society
Willing to take a paycut to like 100k and be comfy and "happy"

>> No.55262910

>>55262883
>>55262903
unironically considering working at maccadonalds and meeting a nice roastie

>> No.55262926

> what can I do with a medical degree that doesn't require practicing medicine?
> what can I do with an accounting degree that doesn't require practicing accounting?
> what can I do with a law degree that doesn't require practicing law?
Stop being retarded OP. You did this to yourself. Now learn to code like a good little monkey and work on my enterprise bloat.

>> No.55263358

>>55262883
>>55262903
Those who can't do, teach. Make CS courses.

>> No.55263375

>>55263358
insanely saturated on youtube by jeets

>> No.55263435

>>55263375
Jeets don't make good content about actually programming, they make content for how to skirt by with minimum effort so that you don't get fired.

>> No.55263472

>>55262883
You understand machine structure and algorithms.
Data structure/science, chem engineering, finance modeling, encryption, ml/ai are likely good fields for the future. You need at least moderate coding skills IMHO.

>> No.55263485

>>55263435
That's funny because the H1B jeets at my company did ALL the work because they had to secure their visa and support their family (wife is a homely traditional housewife), and I was actually the one who just talked the talked but never did shit

>> No.55263532

>>55263375
All the courses I can find by jeets are probably okay (I think?) but impossible to get through because of their extremely strong accent and odd way of speaking

>> No.55263547

>>55262883
As you know there are other roles like business analyst that dont do coding themselves, but you'd still be working for a big bloated corporation and you'd be babysitting cheap contractors trying to make sure the code they shit out works. And there are other project owner type roles that sit in meetings all day. Do you have any interests? A degree and 5 years in a field could be attractive in other fields as you could bring something interesting to the table. But all that matters for getting hired is if you have a connection, and if you are unlikable then no one will want to hire you anyways.
Maybe instead of looking for another wage slave job you can try to interact with the market directly, identify a need people have and sell it to them. Free yourself from the golden handcuffs and eliminate your paycheck mentality. 100 years ago people only waged for a few years until they had the cash to start their own business. I recommend reading John Taylor Gatto's "Dumbing Us Down". And check our Richard Grove on youtube and his podcast, he is always shilling his autonomy course which might be something you are interested in.

>> No.55263592

>>55263532
>>55263358
One of the hardest things none coders don't understand is that to become an actually competent coder requires a shit ton of self-driven motivation and work

I went to a pretty good university and the amount of relative-smart (compared to average) people that dropped out of CS because of the workload was enormous . We had a pretty good program and tons of top-top techcompanies came to our campus to recruit.

It's practically impossible to teach non-coders enough to become an actual software engineer in 3-5 months. Especially on a fucking youtube course.

The amount of sleepless nights grinding, debugging, sitting in a smelly lab eating burger king with a ton of other autists is simply uncountable. Taking a 3 month "Coding BootCamp" is nowhere near enough to even scratch the surface of the knowledge in my head. 70% of the new "coders" trying to get a "sick 200k coding job" Don't even know how a compiler works.
I had to build an entire fucking compiler from Assembly in three months, WHILE TAKING THREE OTHER CS COURSES.
It's too hard to teach man. I can walk you through how to build a basic iphone app or a webapp, but to teach real software engineering is ....

>> No.55263637

>>55263358
>>55263375
>>55263435
i only buy udemy courses if i hear a white mans voice in the preview

>> No.55263645

>>55263592
Yeah I figured as much, I do SICP for fun, but apparently back in the day you had to be able to do it in a few months, used as a filter class apparently
I love the book but that factoid made me consider I prob wouldn't have cut a CS degree

>> No.55263676

>>55263645
> do it in a few months
Yup. The people successful in this field probably read that entire book, while learning from their professor, taking tests weekly, doing homework, building a course project all in 3 months time. While competing with a classroom full of 300 other people.
And this was only 25% of their workload for the quarter.
Some even worked part time jobs, were in sports clubs, and participated in fraternities while doing this.

>> No.55263683

>>55263645
>>55263676
And this did this 3-4 quarters a year for four years.
Try to squeeze that into a 3 months bootcamp

>> No.55263702

>>55263676
Don't they have IT vocational schools where you live?
In my country there is that, and actual CS. First one is fine for building websites.

>> No.55263740

>>55263702
> IT vocational schools
Not sure, everyone I work with at my tech company came from one large university or another. We don't build websites though in our company, we build systems and apps that run off these systems. We move 2 digit billions yearly revenue

>> No.55263770

>>55263740
Ah yeah that is true engineering
They inflated the word engineering so much in IT job applications that I forgot it could have a name
I started doing testing and I'm called an 'engineer' for writing ui scripts kek. Maybe it makes more sense once you set up automation frameworks

>> No.55263779

>>55263770
Sorry, meant to say, *forgot it could have a meaning

>> No.55263821

>>55263770
>I started doing testing and I'm called an 'engineer' for writing ui scripts kek. Maybe it makes more sense once you set up automation frameworks

That's unironically my first job out of college
>Software In Test Automation Engineer
I wrote Selenium Automation Framework things that automated thousands and thousand of test in production. Also built / maintained / upgraded our entire release pipeline and handled Engineering Quality.

Wasn't bad but it was very boring (for me) not challenging in the slightest but it was a good stepping stone. Most of my fellow Automation Engineers were not good enough to be "real" software engineers handling the real money making product. They were like the bottom 25% of the university graduating class, or were self taught coders. No offense to you bro, just trying to give some stats and info from inside a big company.

I moved out of that position as soon as I could (about 1 year) into a real development position that worked on the production app and systems. It was good knowledge though, learning how to build the release pipelines and automation for the devs. But I could tell I was top 10% of the other automation engineers even within my first few months, and the work was not challenging in the slightest to me.
It paid well, was reliable, and "techie"

>> No.55263832

>>55263770
>>55263821
To add to that, I was middle of my class, by no means top. like 70-90th percentile. so i wasn't bottom but not exactly top tier. I interviewed Google while looking for my first job, made it final round, but couldn't pass 2 of the questions. I didn't have the right engineering thinking at the time (no internship experience)

>> No.55263884

>>55263821
No I get it, it becomes clear very soon that what you are doing is repetitive, there's no algorithmic problem solving involved. Once you have figured it out, that's it, you can do it for the rest of your life. That's probably why the people do it who cannot cut development work. I landed the job with 0 IT or coding (I have a humanities degree Kek) experience though, so I don't really have a clue if I could do a bit more challenging stuff
Idk it does pay well and it is reliable but you can see a mediocre life unfolding before you doing it. If that's my fate, so be it, but I want to try to go for a bit more

>> No.55263916
File: 401 KB, 919x945, 1673038734949667.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>55262883
>>55262903
All of us, stem chads, finance guys, tradies, neets, we all should just go to the Caribbean and become pirates.

>> No.55263973

>>55263884
Pretty much that. It was hurting my numbing my brain daily forcing myself to do that crap. I would have to take a small hit from a joint before work, then put on headphones and zone out the entire 8 hour work day doing mindless repetitive work , same thing every single day. This kind of stuff kills my soul. Though some of the other Quality Automation engineers I talked to LOVED it. they loved never have pressure or responsibility. Just write some tests whenever the devs pushed out work. Keep all the bubbles green and ready to push to prod. make sure the deployment pipeline was clean. They truely did not want anything more, and this is exactly fitting for what they wanted out of a job. Sort of like wagie at mccdonalds collecting reliable easy checks. Make as many mistakes as they want with no punishment, no creative requirement. They loved coming in, writing a few tests , eating lunch, writing a few more then going home. Nice simple relaxing.

Mainly you'll need (compared to the quality job)

>Better Communication skills
>Talk and communicate specs with PM and designer roasties
>Eye for Design (visual and system)
>Some responsibility in pushing good clean code to production, what will directly affect customers / clients

>translate btwn technical&nontechnical (Tell ProductManager why u can't add this button that does this, due to limitations explained in laymen's terms they can understand)
>Translate Nontechnical reqs. (Want a UI that does XYZ) back to technical implementation (UI sends data to api and pulls back data in X format and manipulates it as such)
>Learn to read codebases, read some open source stuff on github and try to understand it
>Read design (pixel measurements, colors, shapes, user interface, think like how a user would interact with a UI) and implement them
>Real dev work is not much harder. Just different. Read eng books about development and agile workflows

Anyways bro, best of luck to you.

>> No.55263980

>>55263916
My dream is to just have a nice isolated island or kingdom on top of a mountain lmao. Let's do it. We can farm our food fuck society

>> No.55264011

>>55263973
It's pretty hilarious that your assessment of the job is exactly my impression. And yeah my colleagues like it for the reasons you mentioned, and desu they are right to like it in a way, the job is just chilling, 80% of work is much worse than that. But I'm restless, what can I say, chilling is not for me
Best of luck to you as well, thx for tips and effortpoast

>> No.55264020

>>55262883
You did a "coding job" for 5 years and you never encountered QA people? Validation engineers? Network engineers? Sysadmins/DevOps? Tech support? Release managers? Product managers?

>> No.55264034

>>55263916
Imagine how cool it we be to rob Jewish merchant vessels and then go drink rum on the beach with your bros after.

>> No.55264378
File: 70 KB, 735x636, 648110.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>55262883
>>55262903
Top kek I'm coming up on 5 years at my koding job and I'm also desperately searching for a better alternative.

>>55263916
Hell yeah dude