[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 236 KB, 600x300, ancient-aliens.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
55067723 No.55067723 [Reply] [Original]

I don't have time to learn how to invest better than people who have dedicated their careers to it. Is it possible/legal/smart to use a non-retirement account to put all my investing money in target date funds that have the earliest date? The way I understand it the funds with earlier years are far more aggressive and ETFs are already auto pilot as fuck. So I could just have a really aggressive investment portfolio with a big diverse bundle of stocks. big brain play or pure retardation?

>> No.55067746

buy SPY

>> No.55067767

Theoretically target date funds should be more aggressive the more duration left on them, and get more passive the closer to retirement age. Why would you not use a retirement account though for this, it’s tax advantaged and you can withdraw early and just take the regular penalty?

>> No.55067799

>>55067767
I do use a retirement account for that but I have a personal investment account as well and I want to start saving for a house etc. I guess I got the dates mixed upon the funds. Regardless, I don't have the skills to learn how to pick individual stocks/bonds, so I was wondering if using the target date funds was still possible/smart in a personal account

>> No.55067854

>>55067799
If you’re just looking for some beta, beta being how an asset preforms compared to the S&P, low cost ETF’s are the way to go. Go with something like SPHQ or IWV and just sink your money into it on a regular brokerage account. If the markets making a dollar you’ll make $1.10, and you won’t ever have to think about your stock picks