[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 80 KB, 1100x825, bankrun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
54168873 No.54168873 [Reply] [Original]

I'll be the first to admit that my understanding of economics is tenuous at best, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but what would a 1929 level of nation-wide bank runs look like today? With the vast majority of people using debit cards would those cards just stop working when the bank was "out of money" so to speak? Since there wouldn't need to be cash on hand for it is there anything a bank could do to stop you from moving all of your money to another bank digitally or pulling it out from another bank's ATM? I don't mean to schizo-post but what's happened in the past few weeks has me wondering if such a thing would even be possible in the modern day.

>> No.54168895

>>54168873
a bank run today would be people converting their cash to precious metals or bitcoin.

>> No.54168905

>>54168873

They’ll just keep printing. They can keep this pony show going as long as they want. And with many Americans also supported by the current system, they are happy for this system to continue forward.

I will say the millennials and zoomers are shifting, and starting to become pissed at the current economic trend. As the boomers die off… I don’t know what the millennials and zoomers will do. I know the younger generations are not becoming conservative.

>> No.54169187

>>54168873
People wiring money out instantly to safer banks if they're normies, foreign banks if they're smart, and Coinbase if they're geniuses. Going and getting cash is impossible, banks only carry $7,000 per day by regulation so career bank robbers can't exist anymore. Really they put that in place not for robbers but more to prevent you from getting your money out in the event of a bank run. You're not going to get it in cash, have secondary accounts set up to transfer to.

>> No.54169235

>>54168895
I would literally buy BTC if bank runs were happening en masse. I would start hardcore shilling it to cause another normie mass buy-in. BTC would go way over its last ATH because it wouldn't just be people FOMOing in small amounts of their savings, but panicking and putting every penny they have to their name in. It would skyrocket green prompting more to FOMO in. Start shilling to normies to have Coinbase, Robinhood, etc set up so they can "instantly transfer their money to a safe foreign account." Just get them all to think buying into Bitcoin is safe. For the most part it will be, but I just bought in recently at what's going to be the new rock bottom. Anyone who sees the potential climb and takes the risk is likely to be highly, highly rewarded. We could literally cause bank runs next week if we wanted, after buying into our positions, and become the next fucking billionaires. Not seeing this chance potential is brainlet of us.

>> No.54169411

>>54168905
Because as has been said

You talk to literally 95% of boomers and they have this house that house or they sit on lots of property, maybe they have some boats or maybe they own acreage.

Point is, when they have all this shit, that they got for really just existing during a time of economic growth, and it's being rubbed in the face of 90% of younger people who have no chance of getting that shit, even after getting a college degree and certificates etc etc. AND now they have to watch a news feed that bombards them with constant videos of their similar aged peers living on the extra fruits of those boomers reminding them that they were late, they never stood a chance, what's the point in trying when these people have everything and I'll always have nothing.

The fact that zoomers do not see upwards mobility is the downfall of it all really. Some were born and already at the top, nowhere to go, and the rest were born with no chance, and the bottom is forced to watch the top all day on social media like some kinda humiliation ritual. They shouldn't be conservative, or liberal, they should be angry. And they are.

>> No.54169445

Niggers would be chimping out at the thought of their 10 dollars disappear. They would scratch their heads in confusion, unable to understand how the green paper vanished. Then, they'll proceed to loot and kill and chant black lives matter as they set the local Wendy's on fire while a sheboon dances on the background, broadcasted by CNN while the reporter comments how powerful the scenery is as she's being raped on the ground and the newscasters explain to you for four hours and a half how you and your children paying higher taxes so each of those niggers get a million dollars each is not only a good thing but also the ethical thing to do.

Congratulations. You just witnessed 21st Century Great Depression.

>> No.54169602

A modern-day bank run would look different from those in 1929 due to technological advancements and regulatory changes. Today, electronic transactions would allow people to transfer funds more rapidly and efficiently. Debit cards and ATMs could potentially stop working or run out of cash if a bank were truly insolvent, but access to funds might still be possible through other banks' ATMs or digital transactions.

Measures to prevent bank runs, such as deposit insurance schemes and central banks acting as lenders of last resort, have been put in place since the 1930s to minimize the impact of such events. Additionally, banks are subject to more stringent regulations and oversight, increasing confidence in their solvency and stability.

Despite these differences, the core issue of a loss of confidence in a bank's solvency could still lead to panic and financial instability. However, the interconnected nature of modern banking systems, electronic transactions, and regulatory measures would make the situation different from the bank runs experienced in 1929

>> No.54169839

>>54169411
>And they are
Yeah at one another.

>> No.54170547

>>54169602
Thank you for lengthening my question with a paragraph worth of word salad and reposting it. If you aren't already, you're going to make a fine bureaucrat someday.

>> No.54170572

>>54169235
7 transactions per second limits how much capital flight would actually make it to bitcoin. A lot of people panicking will opt into other crypto if there is a multi-hour wait just to buy (feasible in a bank run scenario if enough people are fomoing at once)

>> No.54170577
File: 1.08 MB, 320x240, brentrambo.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>54169602
spotted the chatGPT response

>> No.54170670

The most important part of a mass bank run today would be the social media part.
Just imagine the speed and severity of the fear and paranoia once bank runs would start happening. You don't need to wait for the newspapers tomorrow to find out what's happening, you'd know in that very instant.

Even for just a regular normalfag, suddenly all their instagram stories would be Becky and Brad saying "ayo get the money out fools! banks are fucked hurry there's no time!!!!!!" same with tiktok snapchat everything. First it starts with blissfully ignorant denial as always (just remember the coronameme) and then that initial denial quickly turns into paranoid craze where normal people are suddenly capable of fighting between each other for toilet paper. Now imagine if all their money is on the line, it would be a total shitshow