[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 1.90 MB, 900x600, 1593458492884.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
53713642 No.53713642 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /biz/

Last week my former employer contacted me about wanting to hire me for a senior position with a salary of $90,000 per year. Currently I make $70,000. Obviously I'm tempted by this offer because that would be a really great raise, but I kind of don't want to go back to that company. When I was with my previous employer three years ago I'd usually work about 50 hours / week, and the office is about a 45 minute drive from where I live, and I hate commuting. They require people to be in 3 days / week.

My current job is pretty great. I'm only in the office 1-2 days per week, and even when I have to go in, it's within walking distance of my home. Plus I'm actually hourly, so I almost never work more than 40 hours per week and when I do I get overtime. The problem is that it seems like this is kind of a dead end position with limited room to advance.

Do you think I should try to talk to my current employer about getting a raise/title bump? And if I do, what should I ask for in terms of salary? If I jump straight to $90k I feel like they'll let me walk. I was thinking I could start by asking for $82k and a "senior" title in my job description. Has anyone here ever negotiated with their employer over a job offer from another firm? Any career advice appreciated.

Really salivating over the prospect of a $90k salary though. That's about $1200 per month extra for my budget.

>> No.53713707

90k for a senior position?
sounds like a joke.
accept the offer from your former job, but just work it like you work your current job.

>> No.53713747

>>53713707
"senior" is more just a title I think. My role would mostly involve financial statement prep / analysis and spot reporting it sounds like. Plus I live in a lcol area so $90k would go a long way

>> No.53713761

45 minute commute 3 days a week is definitely worth an extra 20k a year salary. Take it. Don't try and beg current job for a raise, even if they accept it and give you one because they need you to stay for now, they will resent you eternally for extorting them and shadily try to find your replacement so they can fire you. Take the raise and the senior title, deal with the commute, and use the new title to apply for even bigger roles with an even higher salary, by next year you can be up to 120k.

>> No.53713780
File: 41 KB, 720x835, boss_frogg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>53713642
Make a counter offer to your former employer
>I only come into the office once or twice a month for important meetings, otherwise I'm fully remote
Also make sure 100% of your past accrued service time/seniority is credited to you