[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 59 KB, 800x450, Screen_Shot_2019-06-05_at_1.26.32_PM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
52728661 No.52728661 [Reply] [Original]

Haven't done this in quite a while. I have a couple of hours to spare, so I'll be doing part 5 of my AMA series.

To those who don't know, I work in a large fund's trading department so I'm knowledgeable in the ins and outs of the market. Ask me anything, from dark pools to market makers, why technical indicator-based day trading is bullshit, why all youtube gurus are dogshit, to what I eat for breakfast. Whatever

>> No.52728667

List of your past sexlife.

>> No.52728674

>>52728661
How to make money as a non-insider?

>> No.52728683

>>52728667

From average stacies to super models to ugly frogs, tried them all pretty much. average stacy wins. I'm married now so no new experiences on that front.

>> No.52728694

>>52728674

That's a simple question without much thought so I'll give it a simple answer- buy low sell high.

You wanna make money day trading? Swing trading? Stocks? Crypto? Commodities?

Do what the average joe does, put in your paycheck to an S&P ETF and forget about the money till u retire.

If you want to be a trader, then it's a different ballgame with the odds stacked heavily against you.

>> No.52728718

>>52728661
Will GME ever moon ser?

>> No.52728745

>>52728718

The whole GME fiasco, unfortunately, didn't play out well for retail traders.

At one point there were indeed gigantic short positions within many hedge funds. Now, I'd have a guess and say most of them are either out or net long on this.

Can GME moon? Sure, if it shows strong earnings, good growth for the next 2-3-5 years. You can double, even triple your money. But short squeezing that stock to thousands per share in the blink of an eye? Not happening.

Ask yourself two questions:

1. You constantly see a direct correlation between certain stocks and a large ETF that's holding them. Open JPM, WFC, C and BAC on a slow day with no news. Do they have the exact same intraday pattern? Why do you think that is? Is it close to the same pattern as a large ETF that's holding all of them, like XLF? Why?

2. Do you see the same thing happening to GME and the big ETFs that hold it? No? Why do you think that is, and has been for quite a while?

Why does GME trade in a range for so long when the markets were getting hammered every single day?

There's something much more complicated, a bigger cog in the wheel that retail investors don't see.

I'll give you a hint- look into who and how rebalances an ETFs portfolio to match the underlying value of each of its assets.

>> No.52728770

>>52728745
That's the answer I expected but not for the reasons I expected it to

I expected it to be much simpler, such as firms being able to wash-trade low numbers of stocks between themselves to extend their shorts in perpetuity at low to no cost, until they're back in the green on it. Was I completely off or did I not read that thing into your answer correctly?

>> No.52728792

>>52728661
Did lots of shorts get shaken out this week? I actually bought puts Friday bc there was article after article about DOW bull market, Golden cross, etc etc. Cramer said its safe to stay in the market so...

>> No.52728805

>>52728770

Hedge funds are just sharks who are just waiting to take a bite out of each other. When Citadel was cornered and needed to de-lever and hedge that GME position, they went to another fund to make swaps. You can guess the CEO of that other fund wanted a nice hefty premium for those swaps, so Citadel did bleed, just not to retail investors through GME. There were quite a few periods of short covering, and partial swap rollovers, as can be seen on the chart. The rest of the covering was going on while the whole market was tanking. The ETFs that are holding GME as part of their portfolio were also going down, so there was a natural selling pressure within GME through the ETFs themselves. Guess who was on the bid all day every day, covering the rest of their shorts?

>> No.52728815

>>52728661
What's the top of the next bullrun ?

>> No.52728820

>>52728805
Thanks anon, appreciate you

>> No.52728834

>>52728792

Yeap, shorts get shaken out, there's some good economic news, CPI going down, JPow with his speech a few days ago indicating slowing the pace of rate hikes (albeit with a higher terminal rate). Things are looking like they're going to turn around, hence the uptrend.

Shorts covering only increases the length of the move. However, the market plays on max pain and not fundamentals.

When everyone is bearish, you'll see a rally and vice versa.

The fundamentals for a sustained rally and a longer uptrend are just not present. QT hasn't even really begun, because when QE was happening all the big banks and institutions were happy to be placing offers and going short on bonds, MBS and other instruments. Now that Jerome has started QT and has basically said "you placed offers a year ago, now place some bids so I can sell", they all gave a collective "fuck you" and the MBS markets went no-bid.

>> No.52728846

>>52728815

If I knew that, Warren Buffet would be shining my shoes every day before the market opens.

Anyone who can say with any degree of certainty (be it by drawing funny lines on charts or having inside information) where a market will top or bottom, is full of shit. Every single last one of 'em.

>> No.52728863

>>52728834
Is the market going up or down based on the actual economy, or based on the war with russia?

>> No.52728878

>>52728846
any suggestions on space / defense / AI? the new plane release looks pretty bullish

>> No.52728888

>>52728863

The market has, and always will, move to extract and cause the most pain to the biggest amount of capital possible. The market is neither efficient nor forward-looking, that's just the bullshit that mainstream media and self proclaimed investment gurus like to tell you. And they actually believe that, because it's simple, it's something they can wrap their heads around, and it's what makes them sleep well at night.

The reality is far far different.

So to directly answer your question- no, the market is not moving based on actual economy or the war with russia. You can say that the market likes to move towards the perception of what the actual economy might look like in the near future, but putting in the words "perception" and "might" tells you all you need to know.

>> No.52728917

>>52728878

I really like a quote from a certain somebody that goes like this: you should be buying into weakness and selling into strength. If you realistically think this war is going to spill over to other countries, then the strength of the sector will continue.

Otherwise, this just might be the time to start trimming and exiting.

>> No.52728950

>>52728661
Why is ta day trading bullshit and on what timeframe isn't it bullshit
The weekly indicators were pretty on the nose this past bearmarket

>> No.52728975

>>52728950

Every single one of the trading indicators that you can prop up on a chart show you what has historically happened to the price of a stock. Moving average? Just smoothes out the chart. Oscillators? RSIs? Bollinger bands? Pretty much some form of making your candlestick chart into something else, still having the same information within it.

Are you trading the past or the present? Just because a chart hit a double bottom a year ago and is now back on that level, does not mean it will bounce back up, or that it's a support level. Why did it previously make a double bottom? Could it be because of some actual context? Maybe JPow opened his mouth as the stock was double bottoming, the market rallied, the stock followed?

Technical analysis and indicators answer two questions- the when and the how. Traders at large funds look at the why and the who.

>> No.52729051

This time around not so many questions, so I'll be signing off. Until next time.

Cya.

>> No.52729075

>>52729051

One last question if you can,

Who is buying japanese bonds now that are paying 0.25% interest?

Recently they rebounded in value while the US is still rising rates.

To me it makes no sense that someone is buying new issue bonds paying 0.25% today in japanese yens.

>> No.52729078

>>52728975
So you are saying it's impossible to trade without a networked insider knowledge database to analyse then

>> No.52729091

>>52728661
What offshore domicile should I register my humble but unregulated/illegal financial services firm in? Do you have any advice for people trying to start their own firms? Known anyone during your work life that did this, if so how did they go about it. I just want to have a vehicle for getting all my peers to piggyback on my trading systems.

>> No.52729113

>>52728661
has this guy proven he's legit or is it more le faggy trust me guize im an insider and than he larps a bunch of dumb shit for awhile while touching his erect 3 incher

>> No.52729114

How come you can’t fill out the trade ticket properly for me chief, inquiring minds would like to know