[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 280 KB, 997x1217, ResumeV1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
523286 No.523286 [Reply] [Original]

RESUME/COVER LETTER THREAD!
Post yours, get constructive criticism.

I saw a very informative thread on Resumes/Cover Letters a few days ago, but I was on my phone so I couldn't post mine. I know it needs quite a bit of work, but I could use some pointers since I have an hour-long interview with four interviewers Wednesday.
And I don't have a cover letter either...

>> No.523294

Also if anybody has any questions, feel free to ask. I want to get this as perfect as possible.

>> No.523299

seems like a pretty good geeksquad resume

>> No.523303

>>523299
That's what I was afraid of. The internship I'm applying for is with a pretty notable cyber security company, and I'll be doing general IT work to start out with.

>> No.523312

So you're interested in cyber security eh. You know what's especially impressive in that field? Reverse engineering, especially if you can teach yourself. www.tuts4you.com - it'll take you around 2 years to become decent, but you'll be a techy god.

>> No.523314

>>523303
also, internships are pretty forgiving - they're not going to expect a lot of you. However if you walk in there with a thorough understand of Wireshark and packet analysis, deep understanding of the TCP/IP model (that should only take a few days), you'll be talking their language

>> No.523323

>>523314
All I've got down pat is the TCP/IP model. From what I've heard, it's mainly going to be networking/repair/customer service work, and I'll be working under the Cyber Security guys. I just know that I'm not going to stand out with this resume and no cover letter in the way that I want to.

I also have a portfolio I put together, with my certs., awards, etc. in it to just hand to them. But my Resume is the first thing they see, and I want it to make them want to look through the rest of it.

>> No.523330
File: 37 KB, 777x564, 2014-10-20 17_47_31.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's just my personal preference, but you should probably give the resume a facelift. Also, you need bullets under your relative work experience that demonstrate your abilities, using strong verbs and such. I helped a friend write his resume after he lost his job, and he was happy with the results. Here's a section of it.

Google around, borrow concepts, and be careful about the words you use. If I was interviewing you, I'd read the first line and ask what does safety oriented have to do with anything.. and give me an example of when you built a team.

>> No.523382

>>523286
Bro that resume is aestheticly shit. If you want to work in the tech field you should find a LaTeX resume template you like and put ur info in.

>> No.523398

>>523382
How does this template look? Should I shoot for something similar to this?
http://www.nathanieljohnston.com/cv_temp.pdf

I'll obviously reformat it until it's a single page, but still.

>> No.523422

>>523286
Profile is pointless waffle, remove it. Education + work history at top, technical skills + random certifications lower; don't put it in a box, format it the same as evertything else. Your work history doesn't list what you actually spent your time doing - "networking technology" or "computer technician" could mean anything - add bullets describing what you actually did day to day.

The point of your resume is to convey to me what you have been spending yor time actually doing. It fails to do so. All I can infer from this is that you did something related to networking, but I have no idea specifically what you can do.

>> No.523443

>>523286
HRguy from past CV thread. This advice >>523422 is good, do it.
Also, for all that is sacred and holy under the sun, professional experience first, then education.
And remember to use quanrifiable information on ypur experience in a format like this
Position/activities/what you achieved (in numbers or %) andd hoe it impacted.
E.g. "student internsjip, did X Project achieving Y results and an increase of Z% in clients/earnings, a decrase of ZZ% in absenitsm, complains or whatever

>> No.523455

Also, if you wanna leave your profile, at least make it more attractive for it to give a better idea of who you are and what are your strenghts

>> No.523456

>>523286
Any luck finding jobs in West Virginia? I can never seem to find one that's not Help Desk, or working for ISPs as installers.

>> No.523463

>>523422
>>523443
>>523455
Alright, great advice. Thanks a bunch. :)

One question, is it really a bad thing to have a two-page resume? Once I add all of the tasks and projects I was involved with, there's no preventing that.

>>523456
Wal-Mart's hiring, and the pipeline if you know someone. Other than that, not shit. I struck it lucky with this internship because my professor works there also.
Good luck man.

>> No.523473

>>523443
>Also, for all that is sacred and holy under the sun, professional experience first, then education.
jw, does this apply for a student with unrelated professional experience?

im a grad student and while i do have internship experience that is vaguely relevant, it is in a somewhat different field than what i am currently studying, and it just seems like there is a major risk someone would glance at my resume, see the irrelevant work experience at the top and throw it out without bothering to look down, rather than at least see that im studying what they're looking for even if lacking in experience

i will be applying for internships now too, not full time

>> No.523479

>>523463
It isnt bad per se, but in HR terms, two pages are understandable when you have 5+ years of experience, usually you can (and should do your best to) fit everything in 1page.
It is not ludicrous, if you tailor uoir CV to the position, many of uour experiences may not be relevant enpigj tp be included and could be discarded, but you must tailor your CV to the position you are applying

>> No.523484
File: 744 KB, 1275x1650, Updated Resume .png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A couple questions about mine.

I wanted to list my information chronologically, but I worked at a restaurant that isn't very related to my field of study, so I listed in at the bottom of work history.

Then I also went traveling for about 7 months after graduation, so I listed it in my education history, is that okay too? I wanted to explain the gap in my resume so they don't think I was sitting on my ass for most this year.

Any other tips or recommendations would be fantastic.

Thanks

>> No.523486

>>523473
How unrelated?
In almost any situation, you can speak in managerial terms to "bend" a Little the trith in order to better fit a job profile. The important thing here is, how you translate what you did in X field to Y vacancy.
Could you ellaborate a Little more on your exprience and the job profile you are interested? Perhaps we could help a Little mpre having more info

>> No.523491

>>523463
You don't have a huge amount of experience. You have no need to go over 1 page. Especially when you remove the profle, the pointless line about references, and compress the huge box down to a couple of lines. Anything over 1 page you write is going to be waffle.

>> No.523492

>>523486
Hey HRguy, do you mind giving my resume >>523484 a quick critique.

>> No.523495

>>523484
spelling errors "conduced" "f0r", periods at the end of non-sentencses, first bullet claims you're a part of a team instead of stating what you did, two bullets about some excel template when you should be saying you revamped the entire workflow yourself, etc.

anyways, drop the restaurant experience, expand on competencies (consider putting them higher in your resume since you have little experience). also, no one cares about 7 month lapses. they care about 5 years of lapses.

>> No.523496

>>523486
im becoming a quant, i did an internship in corporate finance

so there's some relevance there but, like, my internship was bullshit excel jockey and online business research shit, i can spin it good when it comes to an interview, but the fact is what matters for a quant job is programming skills and being really fucking good at math, not making bullshit excel models

and ive done a bunch of programming for my degree already and am in a class that is basically algorithm design, so i have a shitload of really important academic experience and knowledge that actually does qualify me for a quant job

>> No.523498

>>523484
You probably don't need 4 lines to describe the details of clearing tables. Keep descriptions of older, more irrelevant work thinner.
Travel is fine, but did you actaully travel with the intention to do the things you listed, or did you just go on a big holiday and are writing bullshit to make it sound better? Also it probably shouldn't be listed as education.

>> No.523500

>>523495
Thanks man, I can't believe I skipped over the spelling errors.

>> No.523502

>>523484
off analyses -> of analysis
In your "florida"
point three, instead of "halved", use "reduced in 50%", it has more impact.
Point four, if you can also describe the savings/increases in time/money, it would be great.
BanReservas
Point two, use % to tlk about the inceease in investors numbers, ex. Attracted x% more invesrors by doing blah blah
Three, research for what, how did it affect, what was tbe point of said research
Five, "f0r" -> "for"
Australi
Three, can you ellaborate more on the profits, ex. Increased revenue/profits x%$ by compiling cost saving predictions on imports. It has more flavor and makez you look better.
Florida
One, drop this point if possiblw, or put it at the end of your list.
Three, if you can, ellaborate on this and any cost savings or profit increases it resulted in.
Education Florida
Last point doesn't make much sense, but you can leave it if you want.
Travel Sabbatical
Really not feeling this, if you can combine extensove trVel with networkwd with business leadwrs to discuss... it may be better.
Competencies
Point One, list this under "Executive skills"
Point two, that goes under "software"
Point three, that goez under "languages" and add some oficial tests scorez if you have thwm

>> No.523503

>>523498

I would like the keep a little of the restaurant on there, because it shows that I have a loyal work ethic for being there seven years.

I traveled for holiday reasons, but along the way I did in fact do the things I wrote down in my resume.

What do you think it should be listed under? If I make a new category on this resume it'll push it to 2 pages.

>> No.523504

>>523496
If you think your education sells you more prominently than your work experience, put that higher on your resume, and make sure the key points are there so it's the first thing they see when they read it. Then they can read the slightly less relevant work experience with the important bit already in their mind. The reason everyone is always told put sections in a particular order is to the most sellable thing at the top, not some strict arbitrary "this first that second" format. Do what sells you the best.

>> No.523506

>>523502
Thank you sir, I appreciated it

>> No.523509

>>523503
On the other hand, you can exclude your "trVel sabbatical" and just mention it when asked in an interview, it isnt a lot of time and it could be assumed you were just looking for a job in that time.

Or
You could take some Udemy or Coursera clases right fucking now, hurry and finish them asap, and list them in that time frame in order of it not being empty.

That also can work very well, the important thinig is preferently not to have any dead time longer than 3 months.

>> No.523510

>>523504
So there's two problems with it. First, it's listed as a chronological activity with bullets like work/education, but isn't really like those. Second it reeks of bullshit, as you're trying to make your holiday sound more important than it was (even if you did actually do those things). When I read it, my image of you is that you wore a suit and tie for the duration of the trip and shook peoples hands a lot.

My vote would be to add a section called "Other Activities" or something like that, and convert it to prose, like "For 8 months in 2014 I travelled blah blah and did blah. It gave me opportunities to blah and i learnt blah and am now a well rounded person." Make yourself sound more like a human getting some world experience and less like someone on a business trip.

I'm sure with a bit of formatting, and condensing the restaurant stuff, you can easily keep it in 1 page.

Also who the fuck says "defray"? No big words, it makes the reader slow down and have to try and figure out what you're saying. I'd also recommend not listing whether or not you have debt. It's not relevant. Say you did it to help cover tuition, if you like, but don't go into too much detail on it.

>> No.523511

>>523510
Meant to reply to >>523503

>> No.523519

Also, if you have any doubts about the format for your CV, and a great list of action verbs to use accprding to the nature of your functions
>http://www.ocs.fas.harvard.edu/students/jobs_resume.htm
Specially in the the "resume and cover letter publication"

>> No.523532

>>523510
Has a good point on the "Other activities" but i think it would work better if you were applying to a NGO or similar non profit driven org.

This will sound greedy, but in profit world, what really matters is
How can you help increase earnings
How can you help reduce cosys/expenses
What have you learned /are you learning to do better in any of the above.

Try to view your experience and history with those glasses and it will make things easier, since HR does the same usually.
Remember, Hr job is to find the best for the position/company, and if it isnt the best, the blame goes also to HR, since they didn't screen well the candidates and ended up costing money to the company.

>> No.523567
File: 135 KB, 1070x1346, ResumeAfterBizV1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Okay /biz/, OP here. I revamped the entire thing, thoughts?

I was thinking of maybe bolding the Activities/Honors sections to make them stand out more, and I'm not quite sure about the wording on some of the sections, but I'll see what you guys think.

>> No.523574

>>523567
better anon, though:
* I'd lose the italics
* don't use sub bullets
* remove the colon (:) after the headings, and make those fonts bigger if you want better separation
* make your headings more symentrical, the dates on the right have an inch of space, where your title has 1/2 inch
* first sentence under self-employment says "As a..." while the rest of your bullets use verbs. keep it consistent
* the line after Education: get it to fit on 1 line
* your font feels outdated, use Calibri or Segoe UI and see if you like those better

>> No.523677

>>523567
This s good >>523574
Also, self employed section
1 and 3 reword it, you describe them as simple and menial activities.
2 "educated" seems pompous, i suggest u use coached, directed or instructed. Also, "various actions" is kinda vague, can you narow it to something more specific, or use things like "technical process required to X,Y,Z"
4 instead of "user data" and "customers", can you use "clients' database" and "companies" or something similar?
Student Intern
1 what did you achieve with that? Any projects you worked on or lead?
2 again, what was the prpose, what improved and how much did it imprpve?
3,4 nice
5 same as 2, at least tell about the most important achievement
AASInfo Syst
you already mention "present", no need to rewrote that you are still studying, just your expected grad date.
Your activities honors go in an "academic achievements" section, not as sub bulletpoints.
Your certifications ideally go under a "certifications" section.
Any software, languages, other courses?

>> No.523681

Any other doubts/questions anons, we can help ifyou ask

>> No.524184

>>523677
>Any software, languages, other courses?

Unfortunately no. And the only 'official' cert I have is the CompTIA one.

One question about my education though...I'm currently a freshman at a 2-year community college and I put my expected graduation date for it, but there's a 2+2 program for Info. Systems that I'm doing where I'll be transferring to a university for two more years to complete my Bachelor's degree. Should I somehow incorporate that into my Resume, save it for the cover letter, or leave it out entirely?

>> No.524280

>>524184
Id you are really really no doubt about it, going to do it,then change your school, degree and expected graduation date for your bachelors accordingly. For all practical purposes, it would be equivalent to a 4 bachelor degree
Or
Mention it in a bulletpoint, like "currently coursing/doing 2+2 info systems bachelor degree with X university/ college, expected grad date xxxx"
IMHO, I would go with the first one, it is more streamlined and you can always explain when needed.

>> No.524283

>>524184
It would be useful to incorporate it in your resume, the cover letter is for presentation and attention grabbing purposes and id you leave it out and later have to explain, it could bee seen as dishonest to posible recruiters

>> No.524338
File: 564 KB, 1000x1294, resume.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Okay give my resume a critique

I haven't had much luck with it, mostly because I have very little relevant experience, I would assume.

>> No.524351

So what do you think the correct amount of previous jobs to list is? I'm a 25 year old who had several different jobs (retail and office) during uni and high school. Currently I list 4 but that takes up over half a page of my resume.

>> No.524363

>>524351
I think it depends on which jobs from your array are most relevant to the position you sending the cv in for.
If you're sending in for a technical or professional position, don't know how relevant retail or customer service jobs would be compared to other positions held.

>> No.524462

Does it need to be one page?

I thought it was suppose to be double spaced.

>> No.524507

Does anybody have a good template I can use? I am trying to find one on google, but all the good ones want me to spend my dosh.

>> No.524529

I tend to be the sort of person to have someone request my resume, then I frantically have to update it that night since I haven't touched it in 2 or 3 years.

>> No.524537

>>524338
No sentences. This isn't your CV. Bulletpoint EVERYTHING.

Why do you have a ciw cert when you're in civil environ? It shows you don't really know where you want to go, and you might leave us in 3 years, which is a big no. Get rid of it. Bring it up if they ask about it in the interview, and set it aside as one of your skills.

That self-start business is actually pretty good. Highlight it a bit more.

Remove "objective" and put "skills" at the top.

Merge your header with your contact information. Look up examples online.

>> No.524557

>>524537
that's right you don't want to come off as a free thinker

make you employer believe you're a pleb that wants to suck on their teets for life

>> No.524587
File: 60 KB, 676x857, ResumewithpersonaleditedVERSION2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Upon advice from another board member, I shortened my resume considerably.

I did not necessarily agree with the decision to shorten it, but there's a reason why I save copies of anything I make a new version of!

PS, I'm not sure if underaged is actually misspelled or if spell check hates it. Will edit after I look it up.

>> No.524592

>>524587
Very obvious you plagiarized the summary of skills section. I usually trash resumes immediate that do this.

Also, the formatting is possibly the worst I have ever seen.

>> No.524593

>>524592

That part was constructed for me by a career service, so clearly I've got to get rid of it.

And, if you could, could you post a different format to use or suggestions to alter the current format?

>> No.524598
File: 351 KB, 1700x2200, resume4biz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm here for your judgment.

>> No.524601

>>524593
Come on man, you don't see the bullets trailing into the next line? You think that looks OK?

>> No.524603

>>524598
college student developing detailed financial plans for clients without being certified. makes sense

>> No.524604

>>524603
I would do plans for other college students. The end result is you sell them life insurance. When I met with older clients I brought a older agent with me

>> No.524608

>>524604
life insurance salesman is not detailed financial planning

you first bullet of experience got you trashed.

please apply again next year

>> No.524611
File: 59 KB, 662x820, ResumewithpersonaleditedVERSION2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>524601

I didn't ask you what was wrong for you to not tell me.

I've seen resumes where they do that, where they don't do that, where each career is a paragraph, when it's bullet points, when it's just one word per line, and so on.

The rules aren't very fucking clear, and it's been a long time since I've shot ideas off of anyone who works in the field/is a career counselor who isn't high off their ass.

My first resume was so bad that even the person who suggested that format you saw was like 'whoa dude, gotta fix it'.

Anyway, I took care of what you said in your last post, so hopefully that looks a lot better even if it ain't the best format or design.

What should I replace summary of skills with?

Any suggestions?

>> No.524612

>>524611
>What should I replace summary of skills with?
How about your actual skills

>> No.524613

>>524608
kek... obviously you don't understand how life insurance sales works.

I plan to go into sales btw

>> No.524619

>>524613
If you're good with sales and plan to continue down that path, why doesn't your resume reflect that? I can't tell what you want or what you're really good at (sales) from the resume only.

Maybe google sales resumes and get some ideas of how to express that in a summary section.

>> No.524620

>>524611
your formatting is fucked!

What kind of job are you trying to get first off?

>> No.524716

>>524613
kek... you obviously don't understand how detailed financial planning works.

listen to anon, for he talks sense. the moment someone with experience asks you about your resume it's going to be obvious you're just trying to make it sound impressive. if you were sidekick for a senior salesperson, put that down and say what you actually did. your bullets are way too vague and don't really convey what you actually did.

personally, though, i'd recommend deleting everything except your objective.

>> No.524730

>>524716
>what you actually did
that is what I actually did. Only half of my sales were "joint-work" with other reps. Even then I was the one calling the clients and setting up meetings.

>> No.524734

>>524611
Your formatting is stil shit, but I'll try and explain specifically what to change as you don't seem to be getting the hang of it.

The bold text on the volunteer exp isn't alighned the same way as the rest of the bold and looks silly. Nothing within a section should be alighned further left than something in the header of it.

Right alight the dates. Put the dates on the same line as the bold text for each section.

Use proper bulletpoint symbols instead of dashes.

Also:

Remove the summary of skills. If you have any meaningful skills and/or extra qualification, list them at the bottom.

List what relevant things you did in your degree. I have no idea what a justice studies degree involves. Will the person reading this know? Make it obvious to them what you learnt.

Your bullet points are fairly good and descriptive; I undertand what you did at each job from reading them. Make them past tense though, so "Assisted customers...and provided assistance as needed, including following up....", etc.

>> No.524739

>>524716
>way too vague
I agree, but I don't know how I could be more specific. I guess with the digital media/design work I could talk about specific tools and platforms I've used but that isn't going to be relevant depending on my job

Finacial Rep
-Made cold calls

IDK that job was pretty much bullshit and cold calls... but thats sales. I dont think someone hiring for an entry level sales position will expect much else
-succesfully

>> No.524741

>>524730
Sure, but the point is I couldn't infer that from reading your resume, could I? You were responsible for calling and arranging meetings with clients? Good. Write that down. The only client-oriented thing you have is that you "nurtured long lasting client relationships" which tells me nothing. The image I get from reading that is that your clients are eggs and you are nurturing them in an incubator until they hatch. It tells me nothing about what you spent your time doing all day. And I, as someone considering hiring you, want to know what you did all day.

>> No.524743
File: 8 KB, 289x257, 1312302366129.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>524741
>clients are eggs and you are nurturing them in an incubator until they hatch.
oh god that made me laugh

OK i think I see what your saying

>> No.524748

>>524739
>media/design...tools
So you used tool x,y,z, and are applying for a job in a diff industry where they won't neccesary have heard of tool x,y, or z. Then you write "I used industry standard tools x, y, and z to achieve blah". Then when I read it i think "I don't know what x y or z is, but I know this is a guy who learns industry standard tools and uses them effectively in another industry, so I expect he will do the same in this industry".

>cold calls
It may be bullshit, but you want to demonstrate that you can talk to people on the phone, that you can sell (if you have sales figures to back it up, write them down), and that you understand the product that you're selling and were capable of explaining it accurately to your clients and also explaining why buying it would benefit them.

>> No.524795

>>524537
I got a ciw cert because when I was doing my self-start business to pay for college, I wanted more information on how to run a business and make a site that was e-commerce accessible. Since my local tech school had a program for it, I took it one of the summers I had no class.
I figured it was related to the self-start so I put it in there.

I'll try to bullet point everything and see how that turns out, thanks for the tips.

>> No.524806
File: 54 KB, 637x856, CV.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I hate my CV, it looks way too "full". But if I don't get at last a bit in the details I can't cover all the think I did. What do ?

>also it's in french, content isn't the point
>it's funny how the standard shape is a bit different

>> No.524813

>>524806
Your hired. I don't know french. But that shit looks impressive.

>> No.524816

>>524795
You should probably keep it on there, but consider downplaying it by removing it from education and putting it amongst your "Other skills & qualifications" section. Remember, the higher up something is, the more important it is. Is this really second most important to your degree, and more important than your work? No, it's a footnote.

And do *not* put skills at the top, despite what anon says. Ability to use office is not your crowning acheivement.

Move your academic projects into your education (assuming you did this as part of your degree), and if proffesional work was done as part of the graphic artest job, which i presume it is, embed it in the bullets of that section.

>> No.524817

>>524813
Compared to my classmates it's average

>> No.524819

>>524739
>-Made cold calls

* Utilized soft skills to successfully close 40% of telephone sales opportunities while managing inventory of potential clients

sounds better, no ?

>> No.524822

>>524806
Put start month/end month instead of duration. Given your most recent thing is your education, you probably need to flesh that out a bit more with details of what you learnt and any projects/theses. Trim down some of your older jobs if you need space. You have a lot of content for a handful of jobs you only worked at for a few months which is a bit excessive. Given your experience, your education is more likely to sell you than your work.

>> No.524837

>>524806
The other thing that stands out is that the experience section looks very much like a huge wall of text, since the year headers are in the margin and don't properly break up the sections. Reformat it a bit, unindent the line with the job title or something like tht.

>> No.524841

>>524822
I do agree with the start month/end month but I couldn't make it fit properly so I did it this way

My school is quiet known and it's part of the targeted group for consulting firms here so I have nothing else to say about it else than the 2 lines I already put.

I'll however try to delete some content

>> No.524847

Anybody have any good cover letter pointers/examples? I'm about to write mine.

>> No.524853

>>524847
Are cover letters popular in Europe or something? Here in the US, I have seen very few. When I do see them, I just skim through it very quickly as I don't really care about the fluffy stuff

>> No.524857

>>524847
>>524853

Was thinking the same thing about cover letters.

I want to make one but I don't see it being useful.

>> No.524860

>>524857
I can see one being useful if you have very little experience (i.e., a student going for an internship) and want to share your unique story, but otherwise...I wouldn't bother.

>> No.524865

>>524841
>school well known and targeted and i have nothing to say
Doesn't matter. So you'll be competing against other people from your school. If anything, that's more reason.

The section needs expanding because you want to convey what you actually learnt, and why that is more relevant to the job you're applying for than all the other people from the same school who didn't expand their education sections.

>> No.524867

>>524816
Thank you that is very useful advice, I guess I didn't think that, by it being second, it is the secod most important. Good catch
Really appreciate it.

>> No.524869

>>524853
I agree, I'm just writing one to put in the intro of my portfolio for tomorrow, followed by my revised resume.

Also, is it considered bad taste to just but the corporation's contact information as the receiving address if you're unsure of who exactly you're writing the letter to?

>> No.524871

>>524853
>>524857
No-one reads cover letters. If you write one, it should just be a that: a letter acting as a cover to your CV. "Dear Sir, I am writing to you about the llama polishing position you have advertised. Please find my CV attached, love and kisses, Anon".

>> No.524876

>>524869
>if you're unsure of who exactly you're writing the letter to?
You would say "To whom it may concern" to address an unknown receiver. But I'm not sure if that's what you're asking -- are you planning to just mail resumes to various corporations? pls say no

>> No.524884

>>523398

Personally, i'm a fan of having your Personal Statement in your cover letter, and staying away from that in the resume.

If they want to hear you bullshit about yourself thats where they read the cover letter and interview you. When they want cold hard facts, they look at the Resume.

I'm a fan of the 3 pronged application.

1. Cover Letter - I am a dedicated hard working master of Bullshit who can bring something good to your company.

2. Resume - I worked on a farm for 2 days.

3. References - Call my dad at the following number, he'll tell you I milked the shit out of that cow.

>> No.524886

>>524587

The formatting is too bad. Space out your resume more. I see this and the first thing I think is holy shit, thats a massive wall of text, and I lose interest.

>> No.524887

>>524876
>are you planning to just mail resumes to various corporations?

Nope, I have my first technical interview for an hour with four interviewers tomorrow, and I'm bringing my portfolio.

Funny story about that...it's an internship position that somebody else from my class has applied for as well, and I lead him to believe that I never got a call back. So I asked him about the interview and how it was to get some pointers. Unethical, but I suppose that's just business.

>> No.524891

>>524887
Then why exactly are you writing letters?

>> No.524893

>>524819
>Utilized soft skills to successfully close 40% of telephone sales opportunities while managing inventory of potential clients
that does sound good
"managing inventory of potential clients" might be a but much but I get what your saying.

>> No.524896

>>524887
yeah why do they all want one? if its just bs? how long should they be? Two paragraphs?

>> No.524897

>>524806

Masters in Management,
Scientific License in some shit or another
Bachelors in some Science

you speak english, Turkish, German, and Croatian

You worked 4 months as a project manager co-packing stocks

You spent 4 months in shangai setting up a new communications strategy

2 Months as an assitant developer for a regional mailing project

You spent 3 months as a chef?

Also, you don't really need Interests at the bottom.

Also, I speak spanish not french, so this isnt too accurate of a translation

>> No.524899
File: 62 KB, 651x830, ResumewithpersonaleditedVERSION3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Round three.

Thanks to everyone who got me this far.

I couldn't quote you all individually, but I think I've got something working here.

>> No.524905

>>524891
I'm just writing one cover letter to include in my portfolio and bring to the interview with me. I needed to make one before, but I never did, so I can always simply change a few things around if there's another job opportunity since I'll hopefully always be applying for IT-related jobs.

Plus they had an online application form where they asked for my resume in plaintext, and I turned the one in the OP to plaintext. So I guess I'm just looking for a slight chance of redemption once they see my new resume/cover letter. Lol.

>> No.524914

>>524905
If you're pringing your portfolio in person and handing it to someone, you don't need to write a cover letter for it. The purpose of a cover letter is to tell someone who is receiving something in the post what they're receiving and why.

>> No.524920

>>524899
anon, what job are thinking of applying for? I'm not going to lie, the content is weak - especially for the business world. You sound like a great human being that loves animals, can council troubled teens, and moves boxes swiftly, but that "justice studies" major is tough to sell, unless you were going for a social worker.

>> No.524922

>>524920

Well, it's Criminal Justice, but it's called Justice Studies.

Also, I'm not applying for any job just yet. I'm working on getting the basic format done so tooling to any particular job is easy.

>> No.524924

>>524899
Formatting looks way better now. For the skills, heading is fine to be the same as the other heading. I would generally call the section "other skills" rather than "skills" to indicate that this is merely an addition to your otherwise exemplary skillset implied from your experience :^)

I would also suggest that within your education section that if you specialized in something, you say so explicitly. It sounds like your third bullett on what your papers are on refer to some extended specialized work? If so, consider rephrasing along the lines of "Specialized in criminology, researching theories on reasons for offence and re-offence.". Also don't say "to better understand" - that's implicitly the reason anyone studies anything. Replace it by listing some more things you studied.

>> No.524926

>>524922
OK, well when you get to the point of applying for various types of jobs, consider tailoring your resume (it can just be tweaks here and there) to better align yourself and abilities with that position.

>> No.524937

>>524926

Roger that.

I'm just glad you guys got me away from a flawed format.

>> No.524944

>>524899
Just noticed - your have your more recent stuff lower. That's the wrong way round. More recent goes higher.

Also there's a rogue "q" in peer educator.

>> No.524946

>>524937
its much better, congrats

The different font sizes look odd 2 me

>> No.524951

>>524946

I was told fitting on one page was best.

Should I go 16 TNR for the section headers, 14 for the bold portions, twelve for the regular text/italics/whatever?

>> No.524956

>>524951
The sections are clearly demarcated, therefore your font sizes are fine. You may want to make the spacing between sections consistent though (i.e. you don't have a space under the education header, but you do under work experience)

>> No.525000
File: 98 KB, 1054x1342, Capture2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just wrote this up, how does it sound? It's immediately going to be followed by my updated resume, but I haven't had any caffeine today, so it could be a little off.

Thoughts?

>> No.525232
File: 88 KB, 1700x2200, resumebiz-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>525000
h-help

>> No.525235

>>525232
I wouldnt put "variety of fields", makes you seem flakey?

>> No.525299

>>525232
Go here: http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/investment-banking-resume-university-student/

Copy your info into their resume template then come back for feedback.

>> No.525522

>>525000
Nice trips, but your letter is too long, and mostly just duplicates your CV.

>>525232
It seems almost empty. You have no details about your education, and your bullets are only a few words each.

>> No.525547

>>525232
Your just the deli service clerk we have been looking for

>> No.525571

>>525232
Experience before education m8

>> No.525805

>>525522
Yeah, they were impressed that I revised my résumé for them, and I noticed they read probably the first sentence or so of the cover letter before turning to the résumé. Lol.
Also I totally dominated that interview, and I've got a lot of anons to thank. :) Wish I had BTC to give out. Lol. I have Mintcoins that I haven't checked on it a while, but I think those are finished. :p

>> No.526767

>Literally no work experience
>Barely a page
all I can put down is that I know some programming languages and go to state uni

>> No.527223

>>526767
>doesn't even bother posting a pic of it

>> No.527234

This thread has honestly been the best/most interesting thing I have read on 4chan. Thanks anons!

>> No.527271
File: 584 KB, 1080x1920, ae186e93-bce3-402f-800b-f191540f1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How's this guys? Trying to get into new car sales.

>> No.527272

>>523330
What do u know about agile... anything?

>> No.527277

>>523286
All you fucking retards know that there is an official resume cover, and unless you use it your shitty resume goes to the thrash?

>> No.527278

>>523496
Anon, what are u studying in school?

>> No.527279

>>527277
please expand on this a bit more. I'm sure none of these fucking retards actually want there resume to get tossed.

>> No.527285

>>527271
remove summary and highlights. everyone and their brother is a team player and a good communicator. it does nothing to make you stand out, and generlly detracts from the rest of it.

your experience is too wordy in your production manager job. they need to be sharp bullet points, not paragraphs of text with "i did this then i did this" the content is good and descriptive and gives me a fairly good idea of what you did, but it just needs rephrasing to be more like what you've done for your other two jobs.

you've been with the one company for quite a while, and it looks like you're trying to describe your promotions. if your job responsibilities have changed, consider listing the same company multiple times with the dates to make it clear that your function changed. it'll also give you an opportunity to bullet each position you had separately.

you're missing education. i'm guessing it's because you don't have a degree, but if you have any kind of qualifications, it's probably worth having it in a small section at the bottom.

formatting, add bullet symobls to your experience like you have under highlights. otherwise ok.

>> No.527286

>>527277
you are talking bollocks

>>527279
ignore him, he is talking bollocks

>> No.527295

Do I need a cover letter for a shitty retail/othercrap summer job?

>> No.527301

>>527295
See >>525805 and >>524871

If you're applying in person or with some standardised application form, then do not include a cover letter. If you're mailing them your resume, your cover letter should be extremely brief - just enough to tell them why you are mailing them your resume and what you are applying for, and nothing else. Long cover letters add no value for you, and are simply an opportunity for you to write something dumb-sounding.

>> No.527310

>>527301
cheers, mayn

>> No.527326
File: 540 KB, 1080x1920, 59267a3d-4f26-457c-ba6d-aee0b596a.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>527279

>>527285
how about like this?

>> No.527340

>>527326
you still need to get rid of the summary, and add in your education.

i think this demonstrates your progression better. there's still room to expand on the points though - consider that the bottom two jobs have much more written for them than the others, even though they were a decade ago and surely less relevant.

so specifically on the content. you were a production manager. what makes a good production manager? running a tight shop, keeping everyone organised and on track, dealing with shit that goes wrong, and generally being able to take control of a situation. so you need to make sure your bullets get this kind of image of you across. i think what you've got goes a way towards that, but you can tweak it to really hit it home. so when you developed new processes, what were they, and what did you acheieve by that? presumably you made your workers more efficient. make sure that's conveyed. when you were on call to handle stuff, im guessing that means something along the lines of people flung shit at you and you got it sorted out. make sure you convey the fact that you're the kind of guy who gets things fixed.

same thing applies to the press/equipment operator position. whereas in the production supervisor job you want to convey that you were fully in control of people and processes, for this one you want to convey that you were mr machine and that if anything went wrong with them, you were the guy who was going to get it sorted.

>> No.527374

Would you automatically toss a resume if it had a "Hibbies" section?

>> No.527375

>>527374
lol. meant Hobbies.

>> No.527384

>>524897
Almost

Masters in Management,
>correct
Scientific License in some shit or another
>management Licence
Bachelors in some Science
>"sell/trades" techniques
you speak english, Turkish, German, and Croatian
>correct
You worked 4 months as a project manager co-packing stocks
>knowledge management in supply chain/manufacturing
You spent 4 months in shangai setting up a new communications strategy
>correct
2 Months as an assitant developer for a regional mailing project
> assisting the development manager of a social project
You spent 3 months as a chef
>HAHAHAH no I made a survey of a chief that wanted to open a new restaurant, market sizing and stuffs

>> No.527385

>>527326
need education

also, space it a bit more

>> No.527388
File: 25 KB, 635x460, laff.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>527374
>automatically toss a resume if it had a "Hibbies" section?

>hibbies

I'd put it on the lunchroom fridge.

>> No.527399

>>527374
I would avoid writing anything about your hibbies unless you have a hibby that's directly relevant to the job, or somehow demonstrates some positive quality. If you just put random irrelevant hibbies, then you run the risk of whoever's reading it thinking that one of your hibbies is a bit stupid, and forming a negative opinion of you.

>> No.527410
File: 290 KB, 1083x1419, Engineering Resume.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Please be gentle.

>> No.527722
File: 66 KB, 658x579, Rez.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A little help please. It'll be crucial in understanding why accounting firms reject mine.

>> No.527749

>>527722
You need to reverse your first two sections. Do you think people care more about your interpersonal skills, or that you can do the actual job (finance I'm assuming)?

Always order your resume by importance.

>> No.527759

>>527749
This. I'd also advise you to put your GPA on there if it's good...first impression I got is that you don't have a good GPA since it's missing. Most recent grads like to boast how they graduated with a 3.9.

Otherwise, it's solid. I'd probably call you back if I was an employer hiring for an entry level accounting/finance position. You have good internship experience.

>>527410
>Add GPA if it's good (read above).
>Get rid of junior college/associates information. We see you have a bachelors. Who cares about your associates? Just boring, needless and excessive information to lose my attention in.
>You may want to consider getting rid of the objective section. I've never been a fan of it, but just my personal opinion.
>You may want to consider redesigning it. It just seems kind of bland. I'd probably search online to find a more eye-grabbing format online and implement it in mine if I were you.

>> No.527781
File: 258 KB, 1700x2200, Titan Edge Stone.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm not getting ANY responses to my resume. Will someone help me out? I'm an Ivy League grad.

Thanks

>> No.527782

>>527781
I chuckled
7/10

>> No.527790
File: 215 KB, 754x795, Weird_Al_Alapalooza.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can anyone take a look? I would be very very grateful.

>> No.527837

>>527410
remove objectives. format education the same was as you formatted experience. looks silly with some dates bold some not.

>>527722
utterly terrible. the majority is random things not attached to a job, and your employment history is empty. remove professional profile, and move any of those bullets that relate to a job to be under the actual job. also add more info to you education.

>>527781
very descriptive, but that's a huge block of text. you need to turn that into bulletpoints.

>>527790
is that supposed to be a resume or a cover letter? it fails to be both. cover letters need to be short, just to say why you're mailing them, what you're applying for, and resumes need to be structured properly and not huge blocks of text. nobody is going to read this.

>> No.527977

>>527279
If you are in an european country
>>527286
YOUR resume is not even getting reviewed if it's not with european standarts
https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/home

>> No.528327
File: 157 KB, 868x1000, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I honestly got no idea whether to use a one page resume or two. How can I slim this down to 1 page if needed?

1/2

>> No.528331
File: 138 KB, 860x919, 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

2/2

>> No.528406

>>528327
>>528331
One. Page.

Cut down the number of jobs you're listing, and cut down the number of points describing each one.

>> No.528409

>>527977
HOLY FUCK NO I DON'T HAVE EU APPROVED FORMATTING WHAT WILL I DO

Kill yourself.

>>528327
>>528331
One page is preferable. So you have a lot of content, and you have a lot of descriptive bullets for what you've done. That's great. But you've only been working 5 years, and this is way too much. You basically need to decide what's important. Is 3 months of volunteering 5 years ago as significant as a year of your current job? No, it isn't, and it doesn't deserve equal space. Cut out anything that doesn't sell you. If you're still over, cut out anything that doesn't sell you to the employer you're targetting. You can also compress some of the points a bit - is it really important to say that the employees you hired were "competent and friendly", for example? The fact that you dealt with hiring is all you need to convey here. For each point, think about what you want the person reading it to think of you, and make sure it does exactly that in the most concise way possible. Another example of extra stuff is saying you "routinetly received bonueses for exceeding supervisors expectations". The only important part is that you exceeded the expectations, not that they gave you money for it. Another example, "allowing them to understand the system and utimately assist others" is redundant. The point that you're trying to convey is that you trained people to do x y and z, so you need to get that point across and then stop.

Put skills lower. Merge extracurricular and interests. Cut most of the things from them, or shorten them. Noone cares that you play piano.

>> No.528420
File: 90 KB, 747x471, resume.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>527781
I fixed it up for you.

>> No.528434

>>528420
>that employment gap
Good resume, Doug, but there's going to be serious questions about what you've been doing for the last 5 years.

>> No.528440
File: 774 KB, 831x1071, resumev4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

quick glance how is it? i have no intern exp though and poor gpa so i put my projects to compensate

seeking entry process engineer job

>> No.528770

>>528440
nothing obviously wrong with it, but you might want to find someone who knows the industry well to have a look.

>> No.529148

Quick question, when uploading resume onto a company application website

Should I combine the cover letter and resume into one PDF and upload it together ?

>> No.529151

>>528420

THIS IS BRILLIANT

>> No.529339

>handing an employer a resume on brown construction paper after giving him props on his finger tips when he extends his hand for a handshake
>letting your sweatpants fall down to your knees while you exit the establishment so he knows you have a cool side
>entire resume is just the lyrics to "Gangster's Paradise" by Coolio
>name at top of resume is only your first name all in Wingdings so the employer must decipher the name of such an intriguing individual

>> No.529343

>>529148
No.

They should have separate uploads for resumes and cover letters.

If they only allow you to upload a resume, just submit a resume.

>> No.529386

>>527790
Horrible and full of mistakes....

"I have a 3.6 GPA and I am very."

>> No.529397

>>528434
That's classified

>> No.529546
File: 280 KB, 1275x1651, resume.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I work in a research lab that is funded by a grant from the NSF. the grant expired and I will run out of funding in a few months.

how do I saw in a cover letter that I am looking for a job when I already have one, but will lose it pretty soon through no fault of my own?

>> No.529675 [DELETED] 
File: 1.30 MB, 830x770, 1410455338100.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>529339
I'm crying

>> No.529677

>>523286

Unemployed 1984 - present

>> No.529692

>>529546
you don't. your reason for leaving isn't something you'd normally put in a cover letter. it's prefectly normal to apply for another job whilst you already have one. if they care about your reason for leaving, they will ask you in the interview.

as to your resume, too many blocks of text. these all need to be turned into bullets. and where is your education section?

>> No.530023

>>528420
>Uzbekibekibekistanstan
Perfect

>> No.530104

This is the best thread I've ever created. :D

>> No.530117

>>529692
i dont have an education yet, i want to focus on my experience.
used this as a template:
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-this-is-an-excellent-resume-2013-11

>> No.530128

>>528440
I'm in accounting, so take my opinion with the knowledge that I'm not in your same field.

I think there are problems with the presentation. First, it's boring. It doesn't capture my attention. It has a very 1980s feel. You know, those long resumes with blocks of text. It reminds me of being an English teacher with some really boring essays that I need to grade by keep pushing aside. If I was a hiring manager for a job you applied to, this would be one of the last resumes I would want to look at. Nothing attention-getting about it.

Second, and I mentioned it above, but so much information overload. I'm a hiring manager, not someone writing a book about your life. I only want to spend a few seconds of my workday looking at your resume.

>> No.530167 [DELETED] 

I made a thread last week. Someone told me my resume was boring. How do I make the information more appealing without looking tryhard?

I'm also helping a small family start-up (but I don't get paid) and I work early morning stocking/logistics at target. Is any of that worth listing?

>> No.530170 [DELETED] 
File: 67 KB, 679x736, rsme.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>530128
I made a thread last week. Someone told me my resume was boring. How do I make the information more appealing without looking tryhard?

I'm also helping a small family start-up (but I don't get paid) and I work early morning stocking/logistics at target. Is any of that worth listing?

>> No.530179
File: 35 KB, 500x469, 1380052936365.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If I previously worked for a company that was forced to cease operation as a result of legality issues, should I put it on a resume? I worked there for about three years so it's a pretty big chunk of time.

>> No.530198

>>530170
There's nothing wrong with boring.

Your problem, though, is your points have a lot of words but don't convey much about what you spent your time doing. Picking on one job: "collaborated with department staff" is meaningless; if you didn't work with the people around you that would have been strange. Why do I care that you collected statds from "a diverse group of city residents"? I don't. No need to say "throughout the duration of the summer" as i can tell that from the dates. So only about 20% of your words convey any useful information, the rest is just padding. Replace it with things that are more descrptive.

If you think the family startup and the logisitics thing say something positive about you, then list it, even if it's just a line for each. You can cut down on those huge margins to make room for it.

>>530179
The alternative is having a 3 year gap on your resume, which you may well get asked about anway if it's recent. Why were they shut down? Was it something terrible, or just some technical lawyery reason? You'll have to use your judgement, really.

>>530117
Then what's all the undergraduate research stuff in you resume? You must have an education or be in the process of getting one.

>> No.530209

>>530198
>Why were they shut down? Was it something terrible, or just some technical lawyery reason?

It was pretty bad and made a few headlines. The owner as well as many of the higher-ups were arrested. Although I was going to school at the time but I really would like to include it on my resume to add to my work experience.

Since it was an internet-based company do you think I could get away with putting a generic companies name? By that I mean like, ITSec or something similar?

>> No.530220

>>530209
If you were in school, then at least it won't be a conspicuous gap. Whatever you do, don't make up company names, as they will get checked and if you're found out you'll be fired. You can be as vague as you like, but bear in mind you may get questioned on it at your interview. If you did nothing wrong though, you may want to just put it down and answer questions about it. I don't think any reasonable person would hold it against you just for working there. I know people who have previously worked for companies that have been run into the ground in a very public and humiliating way (i.e. Lehman's) but noone holds it against them when they're looking for work. They do get the piss taken out of them though.

>> No.530290

>>530198
>You must have an education or be in the process of getting one
its there, at the bottom. how much do i need to glorify the fact that I dont yet have a degree?

>> No.530298

>>530290
A little more than you did, since I didn't notice it hiding all the way down there. Basically, you should put your education in the same section as your research, and then put the non-research jobs in a section below it. Since you're a soon-to-graduate, your education needs to be prominent and at the top.

>> No.530323

I have a master's degree in Economics and no intern/coop experience. All of my relevant skills comes from my undergraduate and MA thesis, which I put in my education section. Should I put them in the experience section with details?

>> No.530340

>>530323
No, put them in your education section with details, and make the education section the most prominent. There is nothing wrong with having a slim or non-existent work experience section when you are just finishing college. Don't pretend something's work experience when it's not, as you will look silly.

>> No.530354

>>530340

How best would I go about doing this? I currently have the theses listed as a bullet point under my degrees, along with GPA, relevant courses and awards.

Should I elaborate on my theses experiences using sub bullet points? I've searched around to see how other people with little experiences but advanced degrees emphasized their thesis experience, but so far I haven't found one where the thesis is elaborated beyond simply listing the title of in the education section.

>> No.530368

>>530340
It is a problem in the modern economy, especially if it's a masters instead of a bachelors.

Anon better plan on a PhD because having a degree with no work experience makes you unemployable vs people with multiple internships.

>> No.530374
File: 47 KB, 711x920, resume.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

go ez

>> No.530379

>>530354
If your theses are your biggest selling points, then expand them into subsections of your education like you would do for jobs in an experience section. This is what I did when I'd just graduated, and it worked well enough.

Remember you want to also be able to show off the soft skills that you might otherwise only get to demonstrate from actaul work expereience, so if you did research in a team, or did any kind of leadership, be sure to drop those in.

>>530368
>having a degree with no work experience makes you unemployable
Bollocks m8. When I graduated, I had a masters and zero work experence beyond research. I had absolutely no problem whatsoever finding a job. And this was 5 years ago at the height of the recession.

>> No.530382

>>530374
Quick notes:
- No point saying "All required business courses". Just put down thee relevant ones.
- Be a little more economical in your bullet-points - no need to mention that you used Office applications. Do throw in numbers where you can though. It's dumb but people eat it up
- Start every bullet point with a past-tense verb. "Researched X". "Managed X". etc
- Don't put fluency in English.
- Don't put "use of internet"

>> No.530383

>>530379

thanks bro

>> No.530389

>>530379
>my anecdote outweighs employment statistics
Did you fail stats too? Seems to be common with economists.

>> No.530396

>>530374
Relevant coursework "i did the required stuff" is not very desriptive. What did you do your coursework on? Did you specialise? Putting down your specialist area is always a winner.

No need to mention tht you can use office in your work experience, when you already have it as a footnote in your skills where it beongs. What did you actually do with them? What did you do to ensure that the loans were accurate? Inquiries on patents? What kind of enquiries? How did you work with translators? What equipment were you selling, how did you sell ii, how successful were you? What were you doing with the inventory of what? What were you negotiating? How does that tie in to project managment? What the fuck is this job anyway. It seems all over the place. I can't tell whether you were selling laons, selling physical objects, or being a patent lawyer.

Maintenance: what were you maintaining? Mechanical machiney is redundant and vague. What did you train other employyees in? How did you influence them to be above average? Making this statments sounds like unsubstantiated boasting.

Maintained a groomed appearance = i don't smell. Don't put this on a resume, it sounds stupid. What detail were you attending to? How did you demonstrate your verbal+math skills? Need examples, not unsubstantiated statements. Who are the foreigners? Was this in a foreign country (if so, call them locals or something)? Or something touristy (if so, call them international visitors)? Presume you're trying to show of language skills, so state what language it was and how it helped.

Skills: don't just say it's "excellent". List the skills. VB + office + internet != excellent. The line about being passionate sounds dumb, remove it. Remove the reference to politics, unless applying for a political job.

>> No.530398

>>530389
Maybe he's just from the Austrian school, no statistics required.

>> No.530401

>>530389

Economists with graduate degrees are also ones with the lowest unemployment rate, what's your point?

>> 530379 never said he studied economics, which you assumed. All the people from my cohort are working after graduation with the exception of one that is trying to open his own weight training room. I simply have a strong location preference and didn't start looking right away after finishing my MA thesis.

There are many federal training programs for MA economists to prepare for them for a career in policy analysis, which I obviously did not apply for, again, due to location preference.

I'm ont going to boast, but most economist probably know a lot more statistics than you.

>> No.530406

>>530389
You're giving him advice saying he must go get a PhD. I'm telling you that your advice is wrong. I also think your reference to unspecified employment stats is broad, irrelevant, and doesn't take into account anyones specific situation. Also I'm neither an economist nor a statistician.

But basically, you're just not very helpful.

>> No.530409

>>530406

If you don't mind, can I ask what field did you get your degree in?

>> No.530416

>>530409
CompSci

>> No.530429

>>530416

I am actually thinking about applying to a 2 year second degree program in compsci offered by my undergraduate institution. Besides being able to program, the program allows me to get co-op experience which I lack. I'm thinking about focusing on taking relational database and data mining courses if I get in. This allows me to complement my econ and stat background to possibly move into data science.

Are there any advice for someone with an econ degree and thinking about going back to school for compsci? I have taken many math courses while in undergrad, including Cal I-III, Linear Algebra, ODE/PDE, Linear Programming, Number Theory, Measure Theoretic Probability and Real Analysis. Stats are the standard stuff, mostly regression analysis and time series.

>> No.530436

>>530429
Your class line-up is pretty good. Take more (applied) statistics courses and pick up a language solidly, and you should be golden.

>> No.530444

>>530436

Thanks for the comment. I actually got interested in the compsci program because of the time series course I did in grad school. I did the final project with a friend that managed to implement a kalman filter variant in Stata.

>> No.530446

>>530429
It's not a bad idea, but I'd say it depends on the nature of the course. Some of the stuff you have like number theory & linear programming, there are certainly specialist compsci courses that can focus in on this kind of stuff but from a compsci angle. Those are the kinds of courses that might be worth doing. I certainly wouldn't just go and do a run-of-the-mill MSc in programming for non-programmers, because you will be bored shitless. That goes for RDB / data mining courses. Relational algebra and theory of knowledge and data are entertaining, but I found that they don't really go that deep before you've learnt everything useful you can from them. I don't think you have to be a massive specialist to get a job in data science, and I suspect if you wanted to do that you could do so without the need for an extra degree. One other option might be to find a course that focuses on numberical analysis + computational finance and become a quant (if that's the kind of thing that might appeal to you).

>> No.530448

>>530444
Pick up R or Python, and get VERY good at them.

I'm on a similar track, where I started out with Math/Econ and am now diving as deep as I can into ML (while getting wrecked by Stat grad students). I'm just an undergrad thoguh.

>> No.530454

>>530446

I actually have a friend who's doing computational finance in Carnegie mellon. I talked to him about his experiences and I don't think finance is something that I would be interested in (life style choices mostly).

What I really want to ask you for advice on, is what kind of intern jobs I should be focusing on when I apply. I mean, should I leverage my econ/stat background and look companies that does data analytic? I mean, most compsci undergrad would probably be looking for QA type jobs.

Also, although I have a lot of math/stat background, I don't really know how to leverage them in the undergrad program. I mean, my goal is to get a job, not go to grad school again. Should I try and take grad level courses that uses these math if I can? The problem with that is, I don't think they will translate to better work experiences

>> No.530459

>>530454
What life style choices, if I may ask?

Cause quant firms are pretty good for pivoting from econ/math to more analytic stuff.

>> No.530463

>>530459

Too much stress.

>> No.530467

>>530463
Well, there're different quant positions/lifestyles too. Some will have you work intensely while markets are open monitoring your algos and optimizing, and you're basically free after markets close. Others you're basically doing research all day, and you stress comes when you're presenting your strats/performance to your team/clients.

I'd say don't rule it out just yet, even if it's not your top choice right now.

>> No.530472

>>530467

Thanks for your advice. I actually took a couple finance/asset pricing courses in grad school. At the end, they actually had us do black scholes in Python. I just don't think I'm interested in finance, but I'll definitely look into it once I go back to school.

Are you planning on going to grad school? If so, MA or finance?

>> No.530474

>>530454
Well, the obvious choice given your background would be finance, and the lifestyle isn't that bad, really. It's where I work, and I've not gone insane (yet). You may want to try financial services companies if you want to do more data crunching. There are a fair few places that make their business of getting data from banks, crunching it, and then giving it back again. They also tend to be pretty low stress places.
Have you tried applying for any grad schemes yet?

>> No.530485

>>530474

Not yet, I know quite a few though. I'm actually not really looking to actually get a career related job this year, since I plan on going back to school next fall.

I'm mostly learning C by myself right now.

>> No.530488

>>530474

Thanks for your help by the way, really appreciate it.

>> No.530490

>>530472
Nah. I thought about it for a while, but grad school (Phd) takes too many years. I haven't found any Masters programmes that appeal to me. I'm working at a hedge fund after graduation.

I've had friends who got bored of finance and moved to data analysis too, so I fully see where you're coming from. For me, at least, the money is too good to walk away from. They mostly went as deep as they could into ML. I think a big part of it is being able to quickly get "good enough" at a certain area to do interesting things. (Oddly, that applies to ML algorithms as well.)

Already, you have a strong leg up on your competition because you have a solid math/stat background. Just add "enough" programming to that (algorithms, data structures, and general code competence) and you should be able to find something. There're also a bunch of data analytic firms that sound a lot less sexy but do interesting work (e.g. amassing and analyzing consumer and retail data for companies trying to sell new products). You'll want to keep an eye out for those.

>> No.530495

>>530490

Not even interested in something like computation finance like my friend's doing? I guess if you already have a nice job lined up, there's no point for the piece of paper.

Thanks for advice, all the best in the future.

>> No.530499

>>530495
Maybe somewhere down the line, but at this point I've got a really well-paying job, and I'll probably learn a bunch there. At any rate, eventually I intend to go down the same route as you and go full blown machine learning, so no point in doing computational finance for now.

Good luck to you too!

>> No.530503

>>530485
C is a good language, but it's not so much used in new finance apps anymore. Python is a popular choice right now, as I know a number of dealers are building out new-ish risk systems using it. If you want to do data crunching in a back office, java is quite common there, and scala seems to be on the up too.

>> No.530509

>>530503

I'm learning C so I can get a solid foundation, not for actually trying to develop in it. My friend whose' in CM for comp finance tells me it's mostly C++ and R in the industry though.

>> No.530514

>>530509
There's a lot of C++ about, but from what I've seen, it's not where the fun stuff happens. I've not had much exposure to R, mainly because everywhere I've worked, and everywhere most people I know have worked, they've had in-house toolage that fills the same function and predates it. But I can certainly see the benefit in learning it for the concepts.

>> No.530538
File: 213 KB, 1468x1322, Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 8.12.16 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Considering dropping out of college. How badly would I do in the job-market with this resume?

I'm not sure if it's worth noting but the company from the second job listed was forcibly shutdown by a dirty, federal organization. As a result of this I listed the name of our competitor instead. Although, they list no contact information whatsoever on their website. What should I do if the employer asks for contact details?

>> No.530541

Is it worth putting in volunteer work as "experience", I used to do tech assist for my church back in high school all the time for free, working the soundboard, filming, pro presenter, etc, even though it has nothing to do with my field at all? I guess it's worth it for the references

>> No.530543

How important is it to have a good linkedin profile?

I was thinking about updating mine with a good looking professional headshot pic etc.

>> No.530553

>>530543
Good if you want recruiters to look for you, but I've not updated my LinkedIn in ages and I did fine recruiting. That said, it never hurts.

Don't dump your whole resume there though, just the companies and position s

>> No.530555

>>530538
Srsly, don't put the competitor. You will get found out. Just put the company, and be prepared to answer questions on it if asked.

Say "maintained" instead of add/remove/update. What kind of technical issues did you resolve?

For the admin job's 1st bullett, say something like "Managed customer service staff resourcing, including recruitment, retainment, performance reviews, training, and payroll." It sounds beter. When you acted as a voice, what capacity did you act in and what did you act on? How many tickets is that a day, and what kind of tikets were they?

Web developer - how many local businesses?

Make sure everything is past tense. Maintained, proposed, vocalized, diagnosed, updated.

List the toolset you used for your web dev under other skills.

What are you doing at college? Your work history is a bit mediocre. Why are you considering dropping out?

>> No.530564

>>530541
Yes, absolutely. Especially for people without much real work experience, you can use it to add bullets demonstrating teamwork, leadership, etc.

>>530543
It doesn't matter. Mine is a complete pisstake, and yet I still get way too much recruiterspam. Ultimately, your job history is all those guys care about.

As for people who might actually hire you... well, I do look up the linkedins of peoples resumes I get, but only really to see if they're likely to be full of shit.

I see it as one of those things that doesn't really add much value for you, but does provide another opportunity to screw up.

>> No.530578

>>530564

opinions on cover letters?

I tend to change mine per job I apply to. I try to highlight some exp pertaining to the job. It's the first page of my resume pdf.

this a good idea or just too much fluff that gets looked over?

>> No.530580

>>530578
See >>527301
Noone will read it.

>> No.530591
File: 224 KB, 1454x1292, 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>530555
Thank you for the feedback, I really do appreciate it.

>Web developer - how many local businesses?
Only around 5. Should I even list it if it's not a higher amount?

>What are you doing at college? Your work history is a bit mediocre. Why are you considering dropping out?

At the moment I'm majoring in Political Science which I don't really believe will be worth my time.

What I plan on doing is going back home and renting an apartment with the money that I do have saved up. I will likely do a bit more web development and at the same time get my IT certifications.

>> No.530593

>>530591
Oh, I'm also 19.

Will I be that screwed in the job market? Preferably I would just like to make $30-$40k a year. I don't spend money often and could easily live off of that much.

>> No.530601

I did contract work animating help videos for a cell phone company. can I mention the company I did work for?

me->contract company -> Actual company

can I mention the names of the actual company work I did?

>> No.530602

>>530591
>>530593

>Should I even list
Yes. You're in college, nobody expects it to be in the dozens. 5 is a respectable amount, and if you can expand the bullets a bit more, you can makes it seem like you've been doing quite a lot of work supporting 5 different businesses.

Depends what your ambitions are. First thing to point out, the fact that you have a degree is more important than what type it is. Even a degree in spherical beekeeping, or something equally stupid is better than no degree, and will make it easier to get jobs.

If you have no ambition, then sure, you can get along fine with no degree. But if you want to later progress from smalltime web dev to something a bit better, you might find it hinders you (unless you are teh shit hot in which case none of this matters). I know people who have good jobs in programming who don't have degrees, but they are the exception, and they would have had less difficult time getting where they are if they had one.

If it was me, I wouldn't drop out, but would try and take some courses in something useful. Is it too late to switch majors? To get a minor?

>> No.530608

>>530601
Yes. It's completely normal for contractors to list both companies, and especially so if they've moved between different clients whilst still at the same contracting company. It would be strange if you *didn't* list them.

>> No.530619

>>530608
I also did an internship and watched several different companies commercials get edited. mcd, nissan, sportscheck, . should I mention this as well or is it just name dropping at this point?

>> No.530621
File: 105 KB, 680x526, 1380290341666.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>530602

Ah, I see. Well I may then just transfer to the far less prestigious state university near my friends in Southern California and pursue a PolySci degree there.

It's not too late to switch majors, in-fact I find the courses extremely easy and boring which is one of my reasons for wanting to dropout.

I understand that a degree in PolySci is nothing in comparison to degrees such as CompSci, economics and similar fields although *unfortunately* politics and philosophy is what I'm passionate about and I wouldn't be able to pay money to study a field that I didn't absolutely love.

I'm required to pay out-of-state tuition for the university I'm currently enrolled in which is an additional reason why I'd like to go study back home.

From an employers standpoint, how unqualified am I currently and how qualified would I be with certifications?

>> No.530623

>>530619
if you din't really do much, not much value puting them, except maybe a couple of examples

>> No.530628

>>530621
I wouldn't look to hire or interview you as is.

If you had a degree in any science, I would consider you moderately favourably amongst other recent graduates (i.e. you would certainly get an interview).

If you continued with the political science degree, then whether or not I called you in would depend more on the strength of the rest of the field, but would probably still lean towards giving you a shot.

>> No.530650

>>530628
Ouch, alright.

Even for entry-level jobs such as an IT help-desk?

>> No.530662
File: 70 KB, 568x578, Rez.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>527749
>>527759
>>527837
Thanks for the help. I've made modifications based on the recommendations. Better?

>> No.530904

>>530650
Depends on the company. Sure you could pick something up, but it probably wouldn't be a great place. I'm just telling you what I would do if hiring for entry level where I work. We have relatively high standards though, but the thing to take note of is the relative gap between how you get rated with and without any degree.

>>530662
This is way better. You could still exand your education a little by showing the releant courses and any project work. You're still quite recent out of school, so your education is still relevant.

>> No.530911

>>530904
Do you care about how well the person went with their degree? If they failed a subject, would it matter and how much?

>> No.531002 [DELETED] 

>>527759
Is a 3.5 GPA worth putting on my resume (or is it considered a bad GPA)? I received two degrees with about 3.5 each and worked full time throughout uni, too?

The degrees are finance and econ.

>> No.531003

>>527759
Is it worth putting a 3.5 GPA on a resume? Or would that be considered a bad GPA?

>> No.531011
File: 643 KB, 965x1218, resume.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What do you guys think?

I'm applying for financial/business analyst positions.

>> No.531038

>>531011
>further increase my understanding of the world
what?

>> No.531046

>>531011
Organization is wrong.

I'd say take out objective.

Order:
Work experience
Educations
Personal experience
Skills

Get rid of the tacky border around the pages.

>> No.531064

>>531003
No and no, it isn't bad but it is very mediocre and not worth putting. Include it if you are in school applying for internships because they will actually care and 3.5 is usually the cutoff for positions that have a cutoff. But if you graduated or are applying for jobs after you graduate, don't bother. That should be enough to graduate with honors, say that or say you expect to graduate with honors.

>> No.531233

>>531003
3.5 is fine.

>> No.531259

>>531011
you state in your objectives what you want for yourself, not what you can provide to your employer. I don't give a fuck about what you want, I want to know how you can help me reach my goals.

>> No.531267

I volunteered helping kids for a bit and some other volunteer work but the place that I did the volunterring at closed down if I list my volunteering am I fucked since I can't put a number down for them?

I have no job experience

I'm just looking for a McJob

>> No.531269

>>531011
>>531259
In general just never put objectives.

Leave that shit for the cover letter, at most.

>>531267
No? Just put it down. Where you worked at has nothing to do with whether the place still exists.

>> No.531271

>>530911
Yes, I care. What I really care about is the final classification, and doing well in relevant courses. I don't care if you fucked up your submarinal flower arranging course though.

>>531011
Remove objectives. You're a recent graduate, so expand education to include relevant courses. Skills go at the bottom. Work experience nearer the top. Work experience needs to be bullets. More recent jobs should be at the top. Don't explicitly spell out that it's a fortune 500 company. Don't need to say references avaialble, it's implied. What are the personal projects? Are they part of your education, or just something you did separately? Ditch the stupid coloured backgrounds.

>>531003
Put it. If you omit it, I would assume it was lower.

>>531267
Doesn't matter, you can still put it down. If they want to verify it they will be able to.

>> No.531302
File: 171 KB, 606x773, Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 5.22.53 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mind taking a look at mine?

thanks boys

>> No.531329

>>531302
Huge chunks of text, not bullets, and write in past tense. Srsly, you'd think people would get the idea by now....

Consider putting education goes up top as you're a recent grad. Relevant courses shouldn't have the same size heading as education.

>> No.531370

>>531329
My education used to be first, until I got into this thread and everyone said experience first.... thanks for the advice though.

>> No.531382

>>531370
Education first if you're a recent graduate. I'd probably keep it there until I'm done with my first post-graduate job.

>> No.531436
File: 168 KB, 608x782, Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 7.01.45 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>531329
>>531382
here's a slightly updated version

>> No.531442

can I list volunteer work under experience if I have never had a job

>> No.531466

>>531436
strengths/skills should just be skills. awards/certifications should just be certifications.

add a little whitespace between the headings and sections, and ensure that nothing is as indented quite as far left as the headings. make "relevant courses" bold like your skills subsections as opposed to caps. you're missing a comma after "ecotoxicology", but you may want to consider right aligning all the dates instead.

on to content. your exotoxicology job - i can't infer from it what you did day to day. was the main thing that you did the thing in the first bullet? if so, say "primarily responsible for" instead of "worked independently with". saying that you worked independently is too blatantly trying to tick that box without really demonstrating it. what kinds of things were the testing requirements you co-ordinated? what did general lab management involve?

your biogeochemical job - seems more descriptive of your function, even though it's shorter despite you having worked there longer than your current job. anything else you can add?

your marketing job. the first point is pure bullshit. what did you do when you worked with them? what were you strategising? for the other points; how did you manage the enforcement? what did that involve doing? how did you bring the lead-painters into compliance? what kind of things were you doing when managing the insurance info? what was the nature of the interaction that you had with the customers?

skills are nice and concise. awards, i don't know what ohsa is but i'm assuming biologists will? did your fire safety certificate have a name, or was it just some random thing as part of a job? say "training" not "trained", since it's supposed to refer to the certification and not the process of getting it.

>>531442
of course you can. that's half point of doing volunteer work.

>> No.531543

>>531466

Great response man, I appreciate you taking the time to help me out

>> No.531550

I am wondering what some of you might think of my proposed resume/portfolio... I haven't built it up yet.

I would have the standard resume we all see here from all of you, But since I am in construction I would like to also have a page of copied versions of all my certifications and licenses. On top of that I would like to provide a cheap thumb drive of pictures from start to finish of various jobsites I have run and installed major components on. Do any of you work in an HR department see anything like this or is it overkill?

>> No.531554

>>531550
No.

List your certifications and licenses on your resume. Noone wants to see full copies of them; if someone intends to give you an offer they can request them during the background check. As for pictures, noone will bother looking at a thumb drive, it's too much effort, especially when they might have dozens of resumes to read. When you say construction, I presume you mean just physically building things as opposed to design? Bringing a portfolio is only really relevant in creative work. If you just want to show off the fact that you work to a generally high standard, I don't think that'll have any real impact.

>> No.531562

>>531554
with the way things are anymore you may as well call it creative design as engineers and architects have pretty much gone to shit. All of my certs that matter end up being on a business card like size and I was just going to tape them all to a page and fill it up as 1 sheet, lots of people lie in my industry.

>> No.531574

>>531562
it sounds tacky. noone wants to see a badly photocopied page of business cards. don't do it. list them on your cv where they belong.

>> No.531740

computer guy here

some resumes have ratings out of five.
e.g
Photoshop 8/10

you think this rating system is tacky / bullshit / sleazy ? I wouldn't give myself a 10, but a solid 8 would do.

>> No.531741

>>531740
Yes. Don't.

>> No.531742

>>531466
To add to his post: your bullet points are filler that don't tell the reviewer anything. If I were to hire a researcher, I want to know what papers his name is printed on. I don't care whether he has 'worked in a sterile culture environment.' It goes without saying that you know common lab practices. Besides, you summarize all that in your 'lab skills' section later in your resume.

Also, your bullet points should primarily focus on job accomplishments. Not only what you do on a regular basis, but how that measurably improved the organization you work for.

>> No.531744

>>531466
Osha is a safety regulatory agency for industrial environments. Osha 10 is a 10 hour course in industrial safety.

He is a certified expert in wearing bright orange vests, hard hats, and safety goggles.

>> No.531749

>>531382
The general guideline is to put the most relative position(s) and skills for the job first. Give the reviewer a reason to keep reading your resume. If you recently graduated from an engineering program and are applying for a job in the field, then that is more significant than your part-time job working at Starbucks. However, if you are applying for a regional manager position for a restaurant chain because you just received your BBA with a specialty in restaurant management, then you would list your experience at Starbucks first.

>> No.532140

How do you put a failed study on a resume?
I had to drop out of Uni after a year because I didn't have the money for it.
For my last job I just wrote "(failed because of financial reasons)" so not to look like a complete failure.

>> No.532141

How do I do that thing like >>523484 has where I separate the dates from the employment history details? I'm bad at Word

>> No.532302
File: 76 KB, 680x883, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am currently looking to work as an Executive Assistant for a good company since my initial plan (logistics) completely crapped out.

I used to work for a guy who ran his own business and I helped him do everything around his office, he would dictate me emails and tell me what to do on a huge ass screen and I would follow on a laptop.

Should that experience be first on the list? or should I stay with my current position at the Opera hall where I work as an usher / bartender.

>> No.532332
File: 188 KB, 1680x1050, 2014-10-28 Resume Critique 1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>528770
>>530128
Muchas gracias Anons!

Things I've edited:
-Remove a few lines from the volunteer section to keep my activities current within the past 4 years
-Used 0.1 left indent, and 0.25 left indent for bullets
-Use 0.6 spacings before and after
-Increased font size to 11 from 10, still Calibri
-Decrease margins to 0.75" from 1" top/bottom/left/right to add more room
-Made my email blue+underline, does that matter?
-Added White space between sections!

I really don't have much to show for myself, but my goal is to focus on my projects, and edit relevant course works depending on applications.

>> No.532427

>>532332
pls post word file so i can copy

>> No.532484

>>532140
you didn't fail then, you withdrew.

>>532302
you spend 5 minutes googling on how to right-align part of a line of text.

i guess you won't be listing word in your skills section.

>>532302
remove profile, it's bullshit filler. remove the first two skills, they're bullshit filler too. skills and acheivments go at the bottom, and call it "other acheivements". education is fine. employment needs expanding. the employment section needs to subtley demonstrate by example all the qualities that you're trying to assert without evidence in the sections you're going to remove.

patron services: what did you do day to day? how did you assist people? i don't care who you reported to, remove that. this is too short and lacks detail.

admin assistant: what kind of reports? what were you doing to the comms+schedules? handling is a vague term. what did you update on the company website? did you write content for it? if so, what? what does admin support involve doing? again, i don't have much of an idea on what you did day to day, particularly for a 4 year job. i want to hear about all the amazing things you acheived, the detils of the (implicitly) heavy work load you carefully balanced, and that you are someone who took responsibility for keeping your ship in order.

summer camp: what activities? what were the admins tasks?

the ordering seems strange. you have two jobs running to present. they should be above the past job. it's also not obvious how you managed to do two at a time. is summer camp only in summer and opera only in winter or something?

formatting on edu/employ is good.

>> No.532489

>>532484
second reply should have been to >>532141

>> No.532501
File: 308 KB, 825x845, resume.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>531271
>>531269
>>531259
>>531046
>>531038
Thanks m8s. I think it looks way better and cleaner.

>> No.532534

>>532332
I like it. If I worked in HR for a biology company, I would give you an interview.

As to your email colour... if you're submitting it electronically and it's actually a link, that's fine. If you're printing it out, you may cause people to try and click on it with their finger, so be careful.

>>532501
Better, but still has problems. Personal and academic projects should really just be a subsection of education, make the heading smaller. Ditch the ugly bullets in favour of normal ones. Indent the job titles headings the same as the rest of the headings. Make sure the bullets/content are all indented the same. Put a small space above relevant coursework, or indent it. Format the header on your education subsections the same as you do for your work.

Content is better. "legal time sensitive payroll company documentation" should be "time sensitive payroll company legal documentation". What did updating the tax db involve? I'm guessing it was more complicated than it sounds here.

"processed window... estimates" sounds better as "processed estimats for windows...". What did you do to secure contracts? How did you interact with customers? This is your chance to brag about your great customer-facing skillz.

Third job is just prose masquerading as a bullet. It's fine if you consider that job to be unimportant as it probably conveys all the information you want it to, but if you have space (which you do... that whitespace & header...), expand it to two or three separate bullets.

>> No.532864

I got coffee for the HR rep for some Environmental firm at a career fair today and she asked me to send her a resume and cover letter and she'd recommend me for an entry level lab position. I've only worked at 2 fast food places and a pancake house so far. Is it worth including these in the resume?

>> No.533043
File: 35 KB, 712x857, Prebiz.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How is this, /biz/? I would really appreciate some help, I honestly just want any full time work at the moment and aren't applying for anything in particular. Probably just retail jobs but I would like an updated CV I could use elsewhere, too.

I was wondering whether I should even include my E A Levels and GCSEs, but without them it'd be a pretty empty Resume. Thanks in advance

>> No.533070

>>532501
>NPV and IRR
Did I really just read that? That is like the penultimate babby financial analysis. Not worthy of mention on your resume at all.

That's the kind of thing I'd show the other guys at the firm to laugh at.

source: Accounting/Finance double major

>> No.533107
File: 184 KB, 812x1042, resume2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ok so I definitely need some help. I don't really have any relevant work experience and am looking to apply for internships for the summer. How can I make my resume say something besides "I havn't done as much as I maybe should have?" I need to make myself look as good as possible.

>> No.533138

If you co-authored as a student, but decided not to go into academia, would you put the publications into the CV?

>> No.533588
File: 226 KB, 732x948, edited.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>523294
>>523299
>>523303
>>523312
>>523314
What do you guys think? I want to work in IB

>> No.533590

>>533107
remove objective

>> No.533605

>>523567
Not sure if you're still lurking but
>As a certified CompTIA A+ computer technician

I audibly chuckled to myself, as will any IT professional. A+ is a joke certification that means next to nothing to employers. If you have it, sure, put it on your resume, but hyping it up like that is going to turn you into a joke as a manager reads it out loud to his team.

>> No.533632

>>533588
I think it's pretty shit. Like anyone cares that you received the "I'm so brilliant" award - no one even knows what that is. Oh, and you "developed" a email tracking system? I'd probably squish your nuts like grapes on your first bullet.

The rest is shit too. Not trolling either.

>> No.533642

>>533632
It's award at my company for doing something good. Idk what to call it other then to say I received an award for it.

So how about something constructive

>> No.533658

>>533043
You've just written blobs of text and put it as a single bullet. That's not bullet points. Figure out what you spent your time doing at each jobs, what you achieved, what responsibilities rested with you, and bullet it properly. Once you've done that, shrink your A levels & GCSEs to have more than one per line, so it doesn't seem like a huge list.

>>533107
Remove objective. Use normal bullets, not magical arrows. Make the list of coursework comma separated, not bullets. Don't have things nested like with bullets inside bullets. Use headings for the outer bullets. Make your scouts thing into proper bullets as if it was a job.

>> No.533661

>>533588
Debt Specialist: Remove the fact that it's award winning. The fact that you did it is all I care about. That's one long ass-sentence; break it up with some of that punctuation stuff. What was the shirt in techniques? I want to see that you understood what you were doing. Similarly, because I don't know what your system is, I can't determine the scope of the training you gave. "win as a team". No. You sound slimy. Worked with dealer clients? Doesn't make sense. If someone is your dealer, they're surely not your client. What kind of companies did you work with? I can't infer from reading this section what the scope of your day-to-day job was.

Dealer services: I don't care that you were employee of the year. Put it right at the bottom in your other acheivments if you must list it. "coordinating with other departments in a team effort" - more long phrases that say nothing. How did you overhaul it? How did you analyse title turnaround time? What was your plan? Dramatically = numbers? How were you involved with business community? What was the nature of your reliationship with clients

Marketing: Increased sales how much? Spearheading means nothing, what did you actually do? What kind of options were you analysing? What were you recommending? I can't tell the nature of the business. And again, what was the nature of your relationship with clients? How did you interact with them? Show me that you can deal with clients.

It's nicely formated and you have lots of words, but the word's don't convey much information. This is your problem.

>> No.533672
File: 41 KB, 241x230, 1387132744835.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>533605
I'm a network engineer and still put it on my resume just to say I have it. I don't hype it, but it's there listed with my other certs. It used to be worth something back in the day, but lately it's fallen out in favor of more focused certifications, i.e. LPIC and MCSA.

>> No.533679

>>533642
You don't call out awards, you state what you've done. You sound like a child. Got "employee of the year" as the first bullet. Are you serious?

>> No.533681

>>533661
top two bullets is a subprime auto finance company, the dealerships are the clients we originate loans though. The win as a team is a core value they push at our company, I'm talking we have little trophys that we give to each other when we think the other person went above and beyond the normal scope of their job to catch another dept up on something. We have a google type feel at our company, hoodie / jeans, we get up and dance every day at 2:30 etc etc. Its crazy

The email tracking allows me to see when/ where / what type of device you opened the email on and registering it in our system so our debt collectors know when to call you, I set up that whole system to help us bring in around 200k more per month.

As for dealer services I changed the way we receive titles and lien perfections for the cars we loan money for, which allows us to lower the risk of not receiving a title from a dealership and not being able to borrow against it.

My nature with our dealership clients was to bug them into giving us our title and helping them preform as our business partners without cutting off the business line that they provide.

As for sales, I'd say 10%, I should add more numbers, basically guerrilla marketing

>> No.533685

>>533679
I thought it was a big deal, I mean they only hand out one of them.

>> No.533690

>>533672
Like I said put it in your resume if you have it, but starting your first bullet point for a job with "As a certified CompTIA A+ computer technician..." is fucking stupid.

>> No.533692
File: 31 KB, 300x300, employee_of_the_month.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>533681
>is a suprime auto finance company
make sure that's clear to the reader

>win as a team is core
>google type feel
>dance at 2:30
don't care, it sounds stupid to anyone who'se not been indoctrinated by your company

>email tracking allows
write that down

>as for dealer service
write that down

>my nature
write that down

>as for sales
write that down

>>533685
it makes you seem like pic related. not the impression you want to give.

>> No.533695

>>533588
also, include your relevant education courses. microsoft office is not relevant academic coursework. economics and accounting sound vague, didn't you do anything more specialist?

>> No.533710
File: 186 KB, 818x1061, new resume.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>533107
slightly updated version

>> No.533713
File: 110 KB, 1432x908, shitresume.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ok /biz/ my resume is absolute horseshit so bad i cant get an interview at a fast food outlet. either way im pretty sure i am fucked as I've never had a job and im 20 years old

what the deal is

-looking for casual work during university study and holidays which isn't extremely degrading aka cleaning septic tanks or is located a million miles from where i live

- good pretty good academic skills when it comes to physics maths and IT obviously not that strong in English and grammar.

studying mechanical engineering, just finished second year with GPA off 3.6/4, got top 10% of country in straya's version of SAT's needless to say im not retarded and can do entry level work

- poor to ok social skills nothing amazingly bad i may come across as a bit awkward but i am not a mega sperg

- i have never had even an entry level job because i spent all off high school studying and people only hire under 18s in entry level positions because of crazy high minimum wage (thanks Australia).

only have one reference which is a university professor as no jobs pleb

>> No.533721

>>533713
taking up way too much room with your name/info

>> No.533724

>>533710
are we supposed to play spot the difference, because that looks pretty damn identical to the last one.

>>533713
you barely have enough meaningful content to fill one page, let alone two. remove objective. condense that header. add relevant courses to your degree. your expierience sucks, so your best shot is to beef out education. if you have good scores, put them down.

remove the communication section. remove the organisation section, put your challenge thing in your (currently nonexistent) experience section. remove analytical section. remove the text in it skills, and just keep the lists, but compress them on to a single line per skill category. dont explicitly list references.

>> No.533725

>>533713
cut down on hyperbole, it's trashy. No 'extremely' required.

>> No.533802
File: 69 KB, 704x912, shitresume2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>533713
next attempt

>>533724
i cut down on the things you said and tried to fill out the education section now the resume seems a bit thin, do you reckon it would be better to fill out the resume by adding a work experience section underneath and saying helped my dad with his buisness fixing trailers wich i did but i barley considered it work or leave it as is

>> No.533849

>>533802
> saying helped my dad with his buisness fixing trailers wich i did but i barley considered it work or leave it as is

This is your problem. You consider a legitimate job 'beneath' you, so you devalue your accomplishments and can't fathom how it's relevant.

Newsflash: Your job isn't the same thing as taking a 400 level ME class. It's not supposed to be hard.

Some other notes:
-Cater the resume to the position. If you're applying for a job that uses the ME, they don't care about your food service certs.
-Ditch all of the parenthesis in your RMIT lines. Parenthesis demonstrate poor organization of thought.
-No one cares about basic knowledge of C++/VBA. Can you make a useful high-end program with it in the job which you are applying to? No? Then get it off the resume.

>> No.533917

>>533802
broski,
1. Capitalize Excel, Word, and *Access*. Is MS Accent a thing? didn't think so.

2. I disagree with >>533849
I think your VBA is quite useful. VBA is the glue that holds pretty much all the big financial companies together.

3. You probably don't want to admit that you have weak programming skills. Don't mention ANYTHING negative about yourself. Instead of 'basic knowledge of C++' why don't you put 'knowledge of C++'?

4. Keep your sig-figs consistent. In your GPA you say 3.6/4 ... you want to say 3.6/4.0

5. Capitalize Engineers Without Borders.

>> No.533934

>>533917
cheers man will do. nice catch on the typo that could have been bad
>>533849
It really wast a legitimate job though im kind of fudging the facts a bit saying i "worked" for him, i helped a few hours a week every other week or so mostly passing my dad tools and answering the phone for him, it was mostly my dad teaching me how to fix things while i watched

, will remove the food service stuff if i apply for a job where its not necessary, i do apply for some food service jobs though as they provide alot of casual work for uni students. i will also remove the parenthesis, will keep the programming knowledge stuff on though, i cant program a high level program but its not a hobby thing i learn't a bit of programming in intro to mechatronics and year 12 IT

>> No.533956

About to apply to a well established hotel, hopefully as receptionist or desk jobs,
any advice what to put in my resume in general?

ive only got a rough idea on what to put where,
like [to broaden my work experience etc. etc.] on the objective and thats it.

freshly graduated as four year bsba legal management and im anxious as hell, since this is all a first timer for me.

also probably life lessons as well? been a shut in since forever too.
any /adv/?

>> No.533963

Anyone here have any experience with federal U.S. government resumes? They are the exact opposite of private industry resumes. The more detail, the better it seems. My federal resume is 5 pages but I hear that some can be as long as 8 - 10 pages.

>> No.533969
File: 2.15 MB, 744x1009, resume.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Looking for advice on wording and formatting.

>> No.534009

>>523479
hey HRguy, what's it take to get your job?

>> No.534123
File: 37 KB, 645x793, Postbiz1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>533658
>>533043

How is this? I appreciate the help once again, thanks!

>> No.534155

>>533917
> I think VBA is quite useful

I do too, but he put basic knowledge. Do you know what that means? It means that he knows it exists, can open it in excel, and kinda-sorta can write a few lines of code to solve a simple math problem, as long as he has access to google and lots of spare time to research syntax.

Putting 'knowledge of' is just as bad. The interviewer, if he's sharp, will retort with what someone else said earlier: "So you put this on your resume becasue you wanted me to know that you are aware of C++'s existence?"

That is not useful to a company.

>> No.534159

>>533969
Too much white space because your headers are a left justified column that makes the rest of your resume indented 1/3 the page instead of breaking up sections.

No one cares about all that coursework, particularly the intro classes. If they want a transcript, they will ask.

The objective belongs on your cover letter, not on your resume.

With the extra space, embellish more on your projects/accomplishments.

After school tutor: what is your measure of effectiveness? How much did your students improve their grades/scores?

>> No.534280

Apart from condensing from two pages to one page, are there any other differences between a British CV and American resumé?

Britbong moving to States soon

>> No.534295

>>534280
Also do Americans care about languages at all? I haven't seen one person mention them

>> No.534433

>>533802
It looks way better. Anything that demonstrates that you have skills and are capable of working in any kind of work environment is worth mentioning.

>>533956
you shouldn't put an objective. your resume is to list your experience. post it and we'll see...

>>533963
i don't see why it would be any different across sectors. is it just because public sector workers waste time writing crap?

>>533969
your lack of content should be of more concern than your wording and formatting. remove objective, skills go at the bottom. expand on your reasearch job, it's your biggest selling point. the bullets for it are too light on content.

>>534123
include the year you did yourqualifications. the job titles and companies should be proper headings, not "this with that". you ned to expand your bullets. what care did you deliver? how did you interact with the public? what were the healthchecks? was there anything challenging about it? what was the heavy machinery? did it require any skills to use? what was involved in the event planning? etc.

>> No.534486

>>534295
> Do Americans care about languages at all?

If you live in a border state that has a significant Latino population AND you are applying to a customer service oriented job, then yes.

Otherwise, no.

>> No.534774

>>534433
>>533956

i should remove the whole objective field? what do you mean list my experience please?
i downright copied someones skills here since i thought its pretty appropriate and i think i could act to it accordingly?

>> No.534887

>>533138
>academia
p-please respond

>> No.535400
File: 76 KB, 801x586, niggathatwasjustawful.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

First resume ever please don't tear my anus asunder

I know it's horrible

just looking for some entry level job on craigslist

I have had one job before last year as a server but I just stopped showing up one day because of some circumstances. Is that something I can put on a resume?

>> No.535576

>>525232
>Dat layout
>Dat color scheme
>Dat terseness

Seriously, I would interview you

>> No.535578

>>527326
>>528327
>two pages
insta-trashed