[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 9 KB, 250x235, B41pN7eCcAA4s_U.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
50715981 No.50715981 [Reply] [Original]

My plan is to basically have a website offering various IT services, build up a remote team of qualified individuals I find on Upwork or some other freelance website, and then whenever someone is interested in my services I just get one of my contacts to do the work. I plan on basically playing an administrative role (e.g., preparing contracts, facilitating meetings, etc.). What does biz think of my idea?

>> No.50716022

>>50715981
No engineers will like you because you're a notech leech.

>> No.50716355

>>50716022
I don't care if the engineers don't like me. They will work for me if they want the be paid.

>> No.50717410

>>50716355
you won't get clients unless you know how to talk to them about their problems which means you need it skills and knowledge. you are a complete scab, no business would seek your consultation and nobody with skills would work for you.

>> No.50717558

nice advice fags, go back to shrimp farming. Anon has a good idea, but hasnt really considered the product market fit. Find your ideal buyer persona, define it (you will need to research their needs) and then you will know which engineers to hire. Lets say you are targeting Dynamics environments. Do you want to do customization? Maybe only migrations and backup? These are all important questions but it is very easy. Engineer will take the job if the rate is good. Negotiate well.

>> No.50717870

>>50715981
Yes this is completely viable

The catch is that it's a real job and you won't make any money if you're not good at it, plus since you're taking on risk if you fail it's all on you

But yes anon, that sounds like a good idea. Do it and do it well

>> No.50717956

>>50715981
You're basically a referral service collecting a referral fee. Or an agency.

>> No.50718052

>>50717558
>>50717870
Exactly, I'll have to find my niche and figure out the marketing strategy - I've been thinking of something along the lines of customer relationship management (CRM) and getting a few certificates along this line (such as salesforce) so I have a better understanding of what to discuss with clients, and how to structure the business, but beyond that the heavy lifting and service integrations will be done by the (qualified) engineers I hopefully find. I know it'll be a lot of work but I assume it may pay off well in 5-10 years.

>> No.50718078

You're entering an already saturated industry and I think you'll fail.

>> No.50718290

>>50715981
You absolutely can but either you or someone in the company must be a pretty good salesman. You'll have to be able to convince people to hire your company and you'll have to be able to convince IT people to work for you. You can convince the IT people relatively easily with money. You'll have to convince the clients to hire your company using whatever you believe would be a successful sales campaign: cost control, ability to complete difficult projects, personal relationships, etc.

There are other aspects involved such as how you distinguish the good IT people from the incompetent. However, to your question, it is absolutely possible to start an IT company--even a successful one--without knowing anything about IT itself. However, you do have to possess other key skills to make it work.

>> No.50719324
File: 315 KB, 1416x1536, h3 seniors.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>50715981
Yes, you can. Probably best to learn about the services you're providing though. I did something similar recently, where I made a website offering a specific mobile service in my area. I paid for google ads to go to my landing page, but not many responses in the test run to justify the ad cost. I could have tried facebook ads, but I hate facebook and didn't want to bother with it anymore.

>> No.50719354
File: 365 KB, 2138x536, dumb frog poster.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>50719324
oh, and I had someone else go and actually fulfill the service. If the test run was successful, I would charge the service provider a finder's fee, and he would keep the bulk of the money.

>> No.50719509

>>50717410
doubt
Most people are idiots and if you can into sales you can absolutely do it.