[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 177 KB, 1280x640, 8E49E8AC-01BC-4558-8D3F-4CFEE1295B65.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
50545123 No.50545123 [Reply] [Original]

I don’t like my current job and was thinking of moving to a southeastern coastal town. Do any of these places have decent tech opportunities? Also general advice on which southern coastal towns are worth moving to? Outer Banks looked comfy as fuck to me.

>Charleston, SC
>Wilmington, NC
>West Palm Beach, FL
>Savannah, GA
>Buford, GA
>Cocoa, FL

>> No.50545132

>>50545123
All of those places are full.

>> No.50545140

>a thread died for this

>> No.50545146

>>50545123
Sorry not Buford, Ga
*Beaufort, SC

>> No.50545165

No, we have no technology and we're full

>> No.50545182

>>50545165
I can do it work. Also I’m not an outsider my family is from the area, I’m kinda looking to move back there.

>> No.50545425
File: 375 KB, 768x576, Texas Red.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>50545123
Define "tech" because the SE has a lot of manufacturing which could also be in your wheelhouse depending on what they want to hire for. What is it you work in now? Any degrees?

Charleston is a beautiful city to be sure, and it probably has the largest industrial base of the ones you listed due to being an operation port. The outer banks aren't big on anything that isn't beach tourism and shipwrecks. If you're willing to be a couple hours from the beach in NC, you may try somewhere in the research triangle. Columbia SC may also have more opportunities, but again, not coastal.

>> No.50545490

>>50545425
I do have a degree. Currently doing tech support but my experience is pretty varied I think for someone as young as I am, I’ve so far worked 3 separate jobs but each only lasted about 6 months before I left them. I’d ideally like to get back into some kind of internal it support role since I had a previous job like that which I found extremely comfy and enjoyable.

>> No.50545506

>>50545123
Have you consider New York City, New York? Everything you listed is full. Perhaps, Los Angeles, California?

>> No.50545573

>>50545506
I’d unironically consider NYC if this were the 90s or 00s, but it’s an utters shithole at the moment so no.
>cuckfornia
absolutely no

My family is from the south, there’s a spot for me in dixie.

>> No.50545603
File: 113 KB, 627x1280, kill me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>50545490
Thanks, that's incredibly non-specific and exceedingly unhelpful. What_degree_do_you_hold. Also, I wouldn't brag about experience when you have a total of 18 months of employment under your belt and a history of rapid job hopping. Be prepared for a big boy company looking to hire a long term employee to grill you over that. You're already at a disadvantage applying to companies where no one knows you in cities you have never lived in.

You said you did tech support before and you want to continue in that. What sort of companies do you think will need to hire someone for that? Think. Can you do PLC? That's in massive demand in all manufacturing.

>> No.50545724

>>50545603
What’s PLC? Also what other stuff would you rec me working? I just got a pretty standard CS degree. I know python, sql, php, a few js libraries, how to mak an android app.

I wasn’t bragging btw. Also will leaving a company early really hurt me that much?

The first job I got I really enjoyed, it was internal it support. I’d been applying to be a developer for a while but never got anywhere I think bc my gpa was dogshit. Anyway I really enjoyed the it position there I really regret leaving it. About 6 months down the line some remote company recruits me for a trainee position that pays more, I took it since it seemed like a better opportunity but I ended up hating it and I wasn’t learning anything beyond how to use the company’s own product so I decided to bail shit and look for something back in the it world. What I’m currently doing is support for my companies product but I’m getting some extra experience with sql and shit, but the management and hr here are super gay and I want to move closer to my parents.

That’s basically my story. I don’t really want to dox myself here, but if you have any non-doxxing questions I’ll answer them.

>> No.50546001

>>50545724
Leaving a company after 2 years for greener pastures is understandable, leaving after 1 because "it wasn't a good fit" could also be explained away. But leaving 3 separate employers after 6 months each is a clear pattern that screams at the person making the hiring decision that you don't intend to stick around. By the time the team gets you up to speed you'll work for two or three months then bail. I'd advise practicing a sob story right now about how you're leaving the current job so you can care for loved-one with medical problems, because that's the only thing that may salvage you in their eyes.

PLC is a Programmable Logic Controller. Its how industrial equipment communicates with computers and other equipment. Any sort of chemical facility, bottling plant, or place that needs to automatically run pumps, probes, and pipes needs to have someone that knows it. If all you want to do is be a non-jeet bug fixer then I have no idea what companies exist in the coastal SE that would need that, and you'd be better served by unironically browsing linkedin or indeed for those cities. Just don't limit yourself to software devs, and also check the postings of industrial facilities.

Look, a change in scenery isn't going to fix you. You didn't do that well in school, you bailed on a good thing, and made a series of iffy employment choices. Now you get to eat the price of that. I get wanting to be closer to family, but more than anything you have got to commit to this next job, man. Whatever it is, you need to break the trend of job hopping on your resume.

>> No.50546251

>>50546001
>Look, a change in scenery isn't going to fix you. You didn't do that well in school, you bailed on a good thing, and made a series of iffy employment choices. Now you get to eat the price of that. I get wanting to be closer to family, but more than anything you have got to commit to this next job, man. Whatever it is, you need to break the trend of job hopping on your resume.
I understand this man. I was really hoping my current job would work out but it really seems like you’re rolling dice whether your gonna get something that fits you or not to me. Why did my best job have to be my first one? Then I could’ve known how good it was and not left.

I could make it to a year here. I’m not like suicidally depressed or anything but I am unhappy and part of me is like, I only have one life why waste six months of my youth doing something I plan to leave?

Also yeah obviously I’ll browse LinkedIn. I have enough experience doing that. I won’t leave my current job until I have something better lined up at least.

>> No.50546273

>>50546001
What knowledge or experience would I need to get involved in PLC? I’m not averse to it just all my experience is in development and tech support.

>> No.50546301

>>50545132
This. Especially Savannah it is horrible please don't come here.

>> No.50546401

>>50546251
If you can stand the year, then absolutely stick it out while looking for something better. If you reach out to someone in that time and it feels like they're promising you the world, DO NOT LEAVE UNTIL YOU HAVE A SIGNED CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT! I've seen to many people get excited, and quit over a handshake deal that magically evaporates after they make all their moving plans. Don't be that guy.

>part of me is like, I only have one life why waste six months of my youth doing something I plan to leave?

Because burning 6 months now means making so much more out of the next 120 months of your life by laying the foundation that shows you can be reliable and are worth training.

As far as learning PLC, if you didn't do it in college, there are PD courses you can take online (for money), and free resources for learning like any language. You won't have a portfolio to point towards, so if you decide to pick it up, just add it to things you theoretically know how to do. Having the keyword is a huge bonus.

>> No.50547490

>>50546301
What’s so bad about Savannah?

>> No.50547600

>>50545123
Savannah and Charleston night have some tech jobs but the rest have next to no tech industry

That said, internal it support can be at any company if you don't care too much about wages so any should be fine.

West Palm isn't really a beach town though, stay tf out of Broward it is heavily urbanised