[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 15 KB, 225x225, legoMovie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
50304659 No.50304659 [Reply] [Original]

I've been in software for 10 years.
my salary is so high that the only positions that pay higher are either go FAANG or become a manager.
I've interviewed for a few managerial positions but they will all say I don't have enough supervisory experience.
are there any actual credentials people need to pass a managerial interview?
like is there a class or something I need to take or just keep trying?

>> No.50304690

Lie on your resume and say you lead a team or a project. I have personally inflated my uber rides given from 2,000 to 3,000

>> No.50304706

> I've interviewed for a few managerial positions but they will all say I don't have enough supervisory experience.
Okay, what kind of supervisory experience do you have? Presumably with 10 years of experience you'd be tech lead by now.

>> No.50304778

If, after 10 years in the field, you still need to understand what is happening above you, either you are LARPing out of boredom or you are just a code monkey with no future.

>> No.50304812

>>50304706
technically none.
I was an unofficial lead dev for 2 years at a previous role but I switched jobs twice over the last year to get a better salary, e.g. $110k base to $130k base to $160k currently. my manager was shit and refusing to do his job since I was doing it.
that's why I ask if there are required courses or something that people don't put on job descriptions.

>> No.50304836

>>50304778
I am a code monkey but I control my future, so I'm trying to figure it out. not larping.

>> No.50305184

bump

>> No.50305195

>>50304812
So, as I see it you have three main options:
1. Get an MBA to get fast-tracked into management. In my first job out of school, the guy I worked for had maybe 5 years of technical experience, but since he had an MBA he was a natural choice to be promoted when the position opened up. He was a manager by age 29.
2. Find an official tech lead job and work your way up. "Unofficial" tech lead just means you're still a senior on paper, and unless you're applying for a tiny company paying half of your current salary you probably won't be able to justify that to a hiring manager to give you a chance.
3. Ditch technical management entirely and go into project management. There are a few certs you can pick up here since it's less of a leadership role and more of a paperwork role (you likely wouldn't be managing people for a few years), but it'll build up your skillset and you could merge into technical management in the future.
t. tech lead at a megacorp

>> No.50305376

>>50305195
I hear you on MBA, but I don't plan on pursuing, Looking more if there's a cheaper course/cert that people want to see on managers. e.g. like an engineer being AWS certified.
I've already done the unofficial lead shit, but that just leads to toxic boss that doesn't do anything and he refused to promote because I'm doing his job.
project management is maybe do-able.
but it sounds like you became a manager by internal opening which is just too slow for me.