[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 113 KB, 1062x554, portable_is_cool.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
50242243 No.50242243 [Reply] [Original]

Premise — A severe energy crisis is brewing. Look at Sri Lanka, which very well might be representative of Europe this winter. We see rising fuel costs, compromised institutions due to a failed political leadership, loss of industry and manufacturing capabilities, breakdown of communications…

I think solar is the answer, but I do not know enough about the industry or products on the market.

Thoughts on solar — What you use to fuel your home can be many things, but if you want to have a source of energy while mobile (and I think there is good reason to), then solar might be the only solution. Batteries are not going anywhere, and night vision/thermal can save your life.

So, what do you think? Recommendations of brands or sellers? I wish there was a wiki for solar investment.

>> No.50242260

>>50242243
Do you want to resell? What do you mean invest in portable solar panels? Why not just invest in energy companies?

>> No.50242503

>>50242260
I want to buy portable solar panels for my own use. I also see them as growing in value over time (given energy issues) and see benefit in selling them. There is little interest in investing in energy companies as energy infrastructure lacks security during a serious global event.

>> No.50242589
File: 172 KB, 628x472, 33d649fbb69b99fd4315a5f8a5d22472_preview_featured.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

buy a 3d printer and print 100 small windmills

Route them all together into some batteries and boom. You need to live next to a river like me and set them all out for free energy 100% of the time, even when it's dark out. Whenever one breaks after a few years I print another and assemble. I already have a huge cache of filament for the printer and a hoard of electronics needed for many replacements.You can run a small house on these for cheap, excluding heating and air. For that sure get some solar panels and diversify my friend

>> No.50242597

solar gives me big scam vibes

where i live we have door to door solar salesman who shill these government subsidized loans. the guy straight up told me he would write up an extra 10k so I could buy a car with it

>> No.50242694

>>50242597

I am not interested in solar for a home. I am interested in 'portable' solar panels, which doesnt require an installment process.

I anyways recognize (and I do not agree with) certain malicious practices used by companies targeting homeowners. I am not interested in these installation or public advocacy groups.

>> No.50242724

>>50242503
Yeah idk bruv just buy a generator if you want portable power. You need some big ass panels if you want to do anything other than charge your phone so I couldn’t see the benefit of a little itty panels for
Personal use

>> No.50242772

>>50242694

well the biggest cost is the energy storage, batteries are expensive and heavy

i've done a lot of off grid camping and such and have messed around with solar but gas generators are just better for that sort of mobile thing, the panels need a lot of space to get decent efficiency and dedicating a bunch of weight to lug the stuff is not good

>> No.50242898

>>50242772 >>50242724
I am probably overestimating the efficiency of solar panels and underestimating their weight.

I guess it begs to ask about the rate of solar research in improving efficiency of solar panels, and if (and if so, when) solar panels could be a worthwhile mobile device.

>> No.50243986

The portable folding type ones aren't all that great. I got one that claims it's 120W, I measured between 70-90 in direct sunlight. It wasn't a cheap one either. I wound up getting two of them, connected in parallel to a 280WH "solar generator" it was enough to keep it charged during the day and use overnight to charge other devices like bluetooth speakers, flashlights, phones, etc on a long camping trip. That whole setup cost about $600 back in 2019, it probably costs more now. You'd need to spend heck of a lot more than that for a setup that could reliably keep your home powered.

>> No.50245278
File: 41 KB, 807x659, 1650636553758.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>50242243
>looking to invest in portable solar panels
Good luck.