[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 163 KB, 1187x935, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
49774030 No.49774030 [Reply] [Original]

https://benoitessiambre.com/macro.html
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31785199

>> No.49774942

Put interest rate at 50.0%
They go into massive debt but produce enough apples to sustain themselves. You don't need more.

>> No.49775052

I got 440k by just putting the rate at -0.5% from the beginning and not touching a single thing after that.

>> No.49775175

I won't be surprised if good players of this, do a better job than literal bankers, but it might need higher complexity to truly capture reality.

>> No.49775289

>>49775175
Yeah
The households are always the same. Population doesn't fluctuate.
The soil has always the same characteristics of production.
There is no pollution.
There is only apples and dollars.
Doesn't take into account the distance and doesn't have an transport system.
The houses can't grow and there is a lack of data charts. It could be cool that you could check all houses and trees on a table all at the same time.

>> No.49775328

>>49774030
Interest rate should be determined by the market, not a tiny clique on retards

>> No.49775349

>>49775289
It does have some random black-swan events in the code, that can ruin progress, but in general this would be a great tool and a game if it had full parameterization and it was expandable for more complexity.

Besides: it's not like real bankers have tools that capture everything.

>> No.49775412

>>49775328
that makes no sense, the "market" wants an interest rate of -999% (to make profit on loans).

it can never be set by someone in need of personal profit.

>> No.49775510

>>49775412
>it can never be set by someone in need of personal profit.
both sides of the loan are motivated by profit

>> No.49775612

>>49775510
Not if you can do a short term robbery. You can set it to -100% for a second and get a profit, and then return it to normal while most have figured it out yet.

I would get your argument if you meant "the algorithm should be automatic based on market parameters" but even in this case the programmers of the algorithm must be humans.

>> No.49775672

>>49775612
>Not if you can do a short term robbery. You can set it to -100% for a second and get a profit, and then return it to normal while most have figured it out yet.
All interest rates set by the market means that there is no replacement for a "federal funding rate" arbitrarily distorting the market by artificially buying/selling securities because there is just no need to.

>> No.49775760 [DELETED] 

>>49775672
Since that algorithm would still need programmers, you might imply you want some kind of gold(or similar) standard back.

That's regression since the gold standard had the issue that in times of grown there would be extreme deflation (and nobody would sell).

The best of both worlds is to develop an algorithm that does it automatically; it should be developed by the best minds in economics and programming; it should be open sourced and scrutinized constantly.

>> No.49775776

>>49774030
i actually managed to crash the economy and cause a runaway inflation.
kek

>> No.49775783

>>49775672
Since that algorithm would still need programmers, you might imply you want some kind of gold(or similar) standard back.
That's regression since the gold standard had the issue that in times of growth there would be extreme deflation (and nobody would sell).
The best of both worlds is to develop an algorithm that does it automatically; it should be developed by the best minds in economics and programming; it should be open sourced and scrutinized constantly.

>> No.49775801

>>49775349
If it was a game, the lack or not of parameters could be the difficulty of the game.
Easy: god mode. Omniscient. You see everything.
Medium: you lack some of the parameters.
Hard: you lack most of the parameters.

>> No.49775810

>>49775776
it was easy to happen here, after a black-swan event kicked in, thought I might had also been stupid with the interest rate (using it in inverse at some point).

>> No.49775882

>>49775760
>Since that algorithm would still need programmers
What algorithm ?
I told you that rates set by the market = you remove the federal funding rate distorting the market altogether
>you might imply you want some kind of gold(or similar) standard back.
Why not (pre-bretton woods) but not necessarily
>The best of both worlds is to develop an algorithm that does it automatically;
Yeah it's called the price discovery of the market ... rates adjust like prices do
Saying this is as retarded to me as saying that there should be an algorithm to determine the price of bread

>> No.49776083

>>49774030
the economy is a series of tubes.
https://youtu.be/rAZavOcEnLg

>> No.49776145

>>49775882
Say you have a currency with capped supply. It will just keep raising in value in times of growth.
How do you stop people from being terrified to spend it if they know it will go up forever?
Are you saying that fear is a healthy part of the system? I don't know. It might be.

>> No.49776260
File: 1.90 MB, 498x498, 121354368574641334656.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>49775810
played a number of games and my conclusions:
> keeping cost of business low is more important than inflation
> massive rate changes after significant events can throw the economy out of equilibrium very easily
this worries me as FED is literally doing the opposite now.
kek

>> No.49776557

>>49776145
>Say you have a currency with capped supply. It will just keep raising in value in times of growth.
That's not a bad thing I would say.
"Stimulating" the economy by incentivizing people to spend isn't magically creating additional prosperity, you will just create malinvestment (bubbles)
Capital accumulation isn't bad thing (Unless propped up by artificial deflation by change the money supply)
>How do you stop people from being terrified to spend it if they know it will go up forever?
Period of economical growth are not "forever".
Technological progress resulting in goods and services being cheaper is a good thing.
They won't be "terrified" to spend it, they will just not be influenced by either artificial inflation nor deflation, therefore they will buy what they need.
A mean of exchange should be as neutral as possible, as its function should be solely to increase liquidity between all goods and services.

>> No.49776664

>>49776557
If all those theories made sense, why doesn't already correct itself by people immediately trading their wages to a assets that deflate?

It clear that this is another case of people having the delusion the world is simpler than it is; people can already do want you want; they choose to not do it.

>> No.49776838

>>49776145
If (for you) the marginal utility of X (you have 5 of them) has already reached a point where you wouldn't buy another one naturally, but you end up buying another one anyway because of let's say price inflation, are you really richer with that 6th X ? I would say no.
Therefore you don't create additional prosperity by incentivizing people to spend, creating malvinstments (But number go up short term on metrics for sure, but the map isn't the territory)
>>49776664
>If all those theories made sense, why doesn't already correct itself by people immediately trading their wages to a assets that deflate?
In period of hyper-inflation (the extreme case) it's crystal-clear that they do. It's just that things are proportional.
Are you denying that the more you perceive inflation to be high in the future, the more you will dump your depreciating mean of exchange ?

>> No.49776905

I fought inflation in SimCB and my economy produced 261239

>> No.49777339

https://www.old-games.com/download/4428/stalin-s-dilemma
Stalin's Dilemma for all you aspiring young Marxist Leninists